PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: New meets old

Redrobes
10-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Zliebauk 4 is a small planet in the binary Beukettan system. It's original inhabitants have long since died and the remains of their outpost still remain though it has become weathered and meteor struck over the millennial. Originally created by a class 6 systems transporter the roads were blasted away from the surface using a high intensity particle beam leaving the crust to be excavated for building use.

A tip off has led you to believe that stone carvings which might hold the key to translating the as yes indecipherable text are to be found deep within. A surface team has been assembled and shuttled down to the surface of the planet for a reccy.

### Latest WIP ###

Sigurd
10-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Interesting.

I like the pyramid in the lower right.

Sigurd

delgondahntelius
10-03-2008, 11:43 PM
oh .. that is nice! ... love the coloring and texturing of the rock! ... excellent!

Gandwarf
10-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Agreed, I love the texturing. The spaceship also looks good, did you make it yourself and in what software? (that question is not meant as an insult or something, I am just wondering - always looking for good symbols :) ).

Steel General
10-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Very cool RR!

Redrobes
10-04-2008, 08:11 AM
The textures are from cgtextures.com as usual. Theres two from the 'ground' and two 'sand' ones in there. The ship was made in light-wave and I sketched a few designs but I went with a shape which was immediately recognizable as a ship rather than alien type. Your welcome to snaffle it as a game icon.

Redrobes
10-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Hope you have all been following my Blender blog so I will attach the final piccy that I did there.

mmmmmpig
10-13-2008, 11:17 PM
I really like the idea behind this one.

I feel that the spaceship is maybe a little too clean to have just landed on a planet. I think it might need some either weathering or dirtying of some kind. As it is It seems a bit "plasticky" in its look compare to the wonderful texture of the ruins.

dragonwolf
10-19-2008, 07:34 PM
I like how you've made your landscape. I agree the ship needs to appear more "used". Great work.

Redrobes
10-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Hmm second comment about the need for dirt... maybe I will have to then. Its just that I was envisioning a kind of star trek ship with full on replicators and particle beams so that all the parts would be pristine with the only dirt being that kicked up from the landing. Super shiny and new. Then the landscape is real old - like millions of years of lost civilization. Old enough to be pock marked with asteroid and meteor hits etc.

The landscape was made in plasticene and moulded with the back of a paintbrush so I just went mad and dimpled it. I scanned it with my toy just to see how it went and rendered it. I also took a photo of the model straight down and used that as a texture source too. But most of the texture is several types of dirt and sand from cgtextures pushed through a texture generator app I have then that was put back into the 3D app and rendered for a final pass with the ship.

RobA
10-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Redrobes, that is just nuts!

-Rob A>

mmmmmpig
10-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Redrobes, that is just nuts!

-Rob A>

quoted for truth

Lord
10-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Im not sure what you just did, but I want to see more pictures.

dragonwolf
10-21-2008, 02:53 AM
Do you plan to actually use that in a game? That'd be pretty cool to see.

Redrobes
10-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Well recently I have been upgrading an old toy which I developed many years ago because I think nowadays it could get more use than when I started. Its a 3D object scanner which can take certain objects and by by shining a laser and using a digi camera, it can convert them into 3D data for use with stuff like light wave or blender or whatever. So during the last couple of months I have been at work on that in my spare time.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2938

Most months I use the challenge to test out stuff which I would be doing anyway and try to incorporate the work into the challenge and make a thing out of it. That kind of makes the testing more real world and constrained so as to push me a bit. For example, this month the scan for this bit of terrain came out quite rough and not really good enough because there wernt enough polygons to do the job properly. It was because of this limitation in light wave that I changed to try Blender so that next time I might be able to use twice or more points for something like this. So thats prompted me to learn it...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3103

... which is where all this came from. Now I know how to use Blenders sclupt tools which would have helped immensely on this particular challenge so thats how I learn more stuff with more apps and tools. So the last few days I have been playing with UV mapping and would like to try some 'normal' mapping too. Just bought some clay as well as I found the plasticene too hard to work with. So it all just branches out and you quickly find that there are more options to try out than you have time to do them and thats why I am always too busy I guess.