PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: Jaafah Ruins

Steel General
10-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Continuing on from my entry from last months challenge. I bring you part of the now ruined city of Jaafah.

Still lots to do, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

### Latest WIP ###

Jkaen
10-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I like the idea of linking the backstories of the monthly challenges, will look forward to seeing how this goes

Sagenlicht
10-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Great start SG, I really like the look and feel of it :)

Steel General
10-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the comments guys...

Here's a small update, finished most of the "damage" to the buildings, now all that's really left are the dirty, little details.

Ascension
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
This really reminds me of that lil desert town in the game "Sacred" where all the orcs are and the red dragon. I still play that game alot even though it's like 5 years old. Kudos dude and keep going...Ima go bash me some orcs.

mmmmmpig
10-14-2008, 12:30 AM
I love the idea of connecting the 2 challenges, and the execution is pretty tight. I am not sure, however, if all the textures are playing with each other very nicely. There are some odd digital artifacts caused by overlapping textures here and there. That being said, I still love it.

Steel General
10-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks... I haven't done much with this in the past week or so, I'll look it over again for those artifacts you referenced and see if I can't get rid of them.

Steel General
10-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Well due to a lack of good ideas flowing from the cess-pool I call a brain, I'm going to call this finished.

I did make a few minor updates to it today;

1) Got rid of the blown/piled sand - may have been the artifacts mmmmmpig was referencing, and I wasn't happy with the way it looked.

2) Added a 'sand lizard' crawling over top of the big rubble pile.

3) Added the 'guts' to the "stump creature"

I will be writing a very short "background story" to go with this which I hope to post in the next few days. - added 10/24/08

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
10-18-2008, 10:39 AM
its really hard to see the lizard.... but i love the map!

Steel General
10-18-2008, 11:12 AM
its really hard to see the lizard.... but i love the map!

Thanks...the lizard is supposed to be difficult to see as they are well adapted at camouflaging themselves in their surroundings (like a chameleon).

Redrobes
10-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Would this dude come in handy ? I took him a few weeks ago. He was a hatchling newt or something like that which we picked up off the road and put him into the nearby pond - after taking top down photos naturally :D

Steel General
10-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Quite handy RR, looks like it would fit right in with the rest of beasties on Khuutath.

dragonwolf
10-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Steel General,

I like the idea you've got going on. Those cracks look familiar. :) I'm not too fond of the building walls though. They seem to be too thick.

Steel General
10-24-2008, 05:25 PM
...Posted short background story with my last WIP.

jfrazierjr
10-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Pretty nice work

delgondahntelius
10-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Love the background story ... nice work.... great looking map ... you stuck on Desert stuff again? ... :D Great looking map bro!

Steel General
10-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Love the background story ... nice work.... great looking map ... you stuck on Desert stuff again? ... :D Great looking map bro!

Thanks...Didn't come out quite as good as the first one, had to force myself to sit down and come up with something.

I thought it would be cool to try and tie the contest maps together, and the little background I wrote for last months set it up quite nicely for me to do that. Doubtful if I'll do it again, but maybe in the future I'll come back to the Ancient One and his story.