PDA

View Full Version : Island of Bayour

mad_computer_user
10-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Here is a map i was comissioned to make by a freind for his game, this is one out of 10 or 11 maps, this map is called Island of Bayour. The parchment was made customly by me. I know a few things are strange and kinda wrong, but thats what he wanted, so thats what i did.

robb75067
10-04-2008, 10:35 PM
the parchment texture is great

mad_computer_user
10-04-2008, 11:13 PM
thanks, i tried making a tutorial on how to make it once, but it didnt work

Redrobes
10-05-2008, 06:48 AM
The map is great. There are some oddities like mountains all around the edge but if thats what was required.... My only critique is the very edges of the canvas are frayed which is good but theres lots of pixels unattached to the main map so it gives it an effect which detracts from it looking like canvas. I wondered whether an effect like de-speckle would have helped or you could use a selection wizard to grab outside of the image and expand the selection by one pixel which would cover all those dots then fill in that selection with the background color. Anyways, I like the overall map and hope to see more.

delgondahntelius
10-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Add noise> Median should bring the pixels back together ... at least some of them.

mad_computer_user
10-05-2008, 04:51 PM
thanks guys, ill look into that, if im using a layer mask, will it still work?

delgondahntelius
10-05-2008, 05:51 PM
The filter noise should work, yes... but you have to run it on the mask.. make sure it's selected and run it... but now that I'm thinking about it... it may not work like its supposed to...no I don't think it will work like that.. i'd have to check it out...

do you have the PSD for it? I could try some things to see what works...

I think I've seen that type of parchment before... and if memory serves your best bet is to get in there with a fine brush and just mask those stray pixels out of there... believe me.. I know what a pain that is :D

mad_computer_user
10-05-2008, 06:22 PM
i do have the psd, and i have tried all the things mentioned, and i got it to work, so thanks guys, ill update the origanal post with the new version

delgondahntelius
10-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Great! ... glad to hear it... we like to help ... or in my case... 'try to help' :D

mad_computer_user
10-05-2008, 06:56 PM
the image is updated, so could you wonderfull people please take a look at it? and tell me if anything else needs changing

Schley
10-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Something that I think might help would be to look for high-res scans of old book and parchment pages on-line. Look for university conservatory sites that specialize in preservation. If there are no copyright issues I would clone or paint out any text that might still be there (The less cloning the better) and work over top of the page. Your edges will look more naturalistic and the texture will have it's own unique flavor.

Another trick is to make a pit stop at your local used/antique bookstore. I've found some awesome textures prowling the French poetry sections. Part of the fun is just poking around and seeing what you can find.

Mike

mad_computer_user
10-05-2008, 09:57 PM
kind of like the background for my other map?
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3007

Schley
10-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Heh!

Exactly. :)

mad_computer_user
10-05-2008, 11:47 PM
thats what i wanted to use, but the freind didnt want that, he liked what i made. A shame, because the other papers look for professional, and just plain better