PDA

View Full Version : Cormyr Map

Schley
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Here's a map of Cormyr I did for WOTC recently. It came out in Dragon a couple of months back.

Let me know what you think. :)

Mike

NeonKnight
10-05-2008, 09:48 PM
WOW! :)

Fantastic!

jfrazierjr
10-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Here's a map of Cormyr I did for WOTC recently. It came out in Dragon a couple of months back.

Let me know what you think. :)

Mike

Gorgeous Map! I love this style of map. Any chance for a tutorial? I know I and many others would love some insight into how you create your maps.

mmmmmpig
10-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Love the old school topo symbology and that is some mighty clean labelling.

Gamerprinter
10-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Realizing you have lots of named locations to place on the map, it is very clear and functional - easily seeing roads and paths, towns and towers. All on top of a beautiful hand-drawn map.

Its unfortunate that the eastern Stormhorns are so busy with locations that the terrain gets buried under all the text - one can't appreciate the terrain as well. That's not a critique so much as a recognition of client needs over aesthetics.

Well done! Repped! :)

GP

delgondahntelius
10-06-2008, 02:07 AM
Fantastic map, excellent work...

REPPED!

Really like those forests... :D

Redrobes
10-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Utterly gorgeous - theres so many things I like about this map. I am not so keen on the cliffs at iso view vs rest of map top down ortho but then how do you represent a vertical wall top down - always a problem. The labeling is fab with nice colors in an saturated realistic kind of fantasy paper tone. Its beyond what you would expect from even a map in Dragon.

Gandwarf
10-06-2008, 06:36 AM
It's a very good looking and professional map. The only thing I don't like it's so cluttered with names (especially in the east). It distracts of the layout of the underlying land. But I understand why it has been done. I am impressed!

Steel General
10-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Incredible job and very cool.

I'll echo the others in saying that it's unfortunate that some of the beautiful graphic work is lost under the "sea of labeling". :)

jezelf
10-06-2008, 08:50 AM
very nice! very consistent throughout and easy to read. an excellent job! I like the osft colours too.

thanks for showing it to us.

jez

TheRedEpic
10-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Really well done, as always:) i may incorporate some of these elements into my work!. Is this all pencils and ink scanned and then photoshop color?

Sigurd
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I really like the way you balance detail and art.

The hills for example are very pretty at the same time they're very structured. You keep the feel of the work loose by making each hill different. You keep to a legend but you still make the whole thing feel very natural.

Do yo draw each hill with a tablet? If you feel inclined to tell, I'd love to hear about your creation process.

Thanks,

Welcome to the Boards by the way :).

Sigurd

Karro
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
That's a very nice looking map.

Is this a 4e setting?

jfrazierjr
10-06-2008, 04:07 PM
That's a very nice looking map.

Is this a 4e setting?

This is from the Forgotten Realms setting.

Karro
10-06-2008, 04:09 PM
This is from the Forgotten Realms setting.

Hmm... Thought it looked a little too populated for a "points-of-light" concept. I never played in Forgotten Realms, oddly enough. Only ever forayed through homebrews.

jfrazierjr
10-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Hmm... Thought it looked a little too populated for a "points-of-light" concept.

Not really. If you look at the scale, many of these places are several days ride from each other. Also note, that the area directly around the Kings Forest and south to the lakes edge are part of a 1400 year old kingdom, so that is for the most part very civilized and somewhat tamed.

The rest of the lands if you notice will have sometimes have over 100 miles between towns especially west and north of the StormHorn Mountains and south of the Dragonmere and they are fairly raw lands with plenty of room for marauding bands of x.

Karro
10-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Not really. If you look at the scale, many of these places are several days ride from each other. Also note, that the area directly around the Kings Forest and south to the lakes edge are part of a 1400 year old kingdom, so that is for the most part very civilized and somewhat tamed.

The rest of the lands if you notice will have sometimes have over 100 miles between towns especially west and north of the StormHorn Mountains and south of the Dragonmere and they are fairly raw lands with plenty of room for marauding bands of x.

Ah yes... scale is everything, isn't it! Sadly, it's something I never really think of until the specific moment that I want to know how long it takes to get from point A to point B.

torstan
10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
*sigh* and now I have to go and buy the 4e FR books :)

Good work. I'm glad to see such a detailed map of Cormyr - it's an excellent setting. My only query would be where the borders are! Given Cormyr used to charge people to adventure and manned the borders it is quite important to be able to tell players when they have crossed into and out of Cormyr. It's a shjame that got lost in this one. However I undrestand that there is a load more detail that needed to be crammed into this. Good job - a very pretty map here, and on the other 4e maps you've got out there.

Welcome to the boards.

robb75067
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
It's amazing. I still have yet to figure out how to do the mountains and forest like that. I also really love how you did the canyon.

jfrazierjr
10-06-2008, 08:47 PM
*sigh* and now I have to go and buy the 4e FR books :)

Good work. I'm glad to see such a detailed map of Cormyr - it's an excellent setting. My only query would be where the borders are! Given Cormyr used to charge people to adventure and manned the borders it is quite important to be able to tell players when they have crossed into and out of Cormyr. It's a shjame that got lost in this one. However I undrestand that there is a load more detail that needed to be crammed into this. Good job - a very pretty map here, and on the other 4e maps you've got out there.

Welcome to the boards.

The boundries are "roughly" thus:
Stormhorns on the West, Eastern Stormhorns on the north and follow a line from them to Tilvers Gap. The eastern border is from Tilvers Gap down the Thunder Peaks to Daerlun or so and the DragonMere is the southern border.

So, only 1/4th to 1/3rd of the total area represented on the map is actually part of the Kingdom of Cormyr.

wampuscat43
10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
My PCs are currently in Hills Edge, which is about a half-inch off the map to the west. Guess I'll have to push them east soon! Exceptional map.

Schley
10-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Wow! I really didn't expect to get so many responses. :)

You can't imagine how much good it does to know that you guys like the map so much. As a full time freelancer working from home I don't get a lot of feedback other than comments from art directors and a few comments on the WOTC boards.

As for the massive # of tags somewhat obscuring the art, I tried to minimize this by using a text/art color pallet that allowed for a rich level of detail while keeping the tags and illustrated elements separate and easily readable.

A little bit of my process:
Using a 6x8 Wacom tablet and Photoshop CS3 I lay down my inks first and send them off for approval. Once I've received any changes/notes I go in and build up the colors and textures in the final version and hope there are no additional changes before handing them off.

I typically start by pasting any reference sketch I have into a layer set to multiply with a transparency of 20-40%. If I'm working on a tactical map this allows me to stroke an accurate grid on another layer using the reference as a guide for path setup. Once I've layed out and stroked my paths and have a grid layer appropriate to the map, I set it to multiply with a transparency of 30-40% and then create a white layer mask for it. The white layer mask allows me to hide or obscure portions of the grid without damaging the actual grid. I can hide/reveal the grid by just painting on the mask.

To keep my inks organized I put wall edges, surface details, etc. on separate layers within a general Inks folder. The reason for keeping certain inks on there own layer is that if there are no breaks in your ink line you can quickly use the magic wand to select areas by simply clicking with it in the area of the ink layer that you want to select. One warning though; when using ink edges to define selections you must expand or contract the selection so that it overlaps the edge of the ink line by a pixel or two. Otherwise when using that selected area to fill with a color, for example, you may end up with odd halo effects.

I keep my color layers organized in their own folder below my ink layers and place all the tags in their own folder on top of everything else.

ok. I'll quit rambling and come back later with some more tips and tricks.

Thanks again for all the great comments so far. :)

Mike

waverlyt
10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I really like this style of map; your forests are amazing.

Sirith
10-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I'll just join the 'wow, awesome' crowd, this is a great map.

Since you described your process a bit (for which many thanks, always nice to see how others work!) I was wondering, how long does it typically take you to do a map like this?

Schley
10-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Since you described your process a bit (for which many thanks, always nice to see how others work!) I was wondering, how long does it typically take you to do a map like this?

Depends on the final size, but generally between 3-4 days for a regional map like this. The volume of tagged elements effects the time as well. If I did this one at poster size it would probably take about a week.

Thanlis
10-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Wow! I really didn't expect to get so many responses. :)

You can't imagine how much good it does to know that you guys like the map so much. As a full time freelancer working from home I don't get a lot of feedback other than comments from art directors and a few comments on the WOTC boards.

Well, allow this non-cartographer gamer to say he really likes your work. Very clean, very elegant -- I think good consistent map design goes a long way towards establishing the feel of any D&D (or minis-oriented game) edition, and the stuff you've been doing is both good and consistent.

First thing I did when starting my 4e game was scan the Nentir Vale map and throw it up on my HDTV for background. It was a hit with my players. Thank you!

Iliyan503
11-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Amazing! It is simply breathtaking! Best map of Cormyr I've ever seen!

goatdealer
11-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Absolutely excellent map, I love the style and colours.
As a 4E gamer, the labeling is also fantastically done. Very clear without spoiling the look of the map. My players love it too.

Cant wait for you to be commissioned to do the Dalelands and Moonsea areas ;)

MarkusTay
11-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Sorry for the threadomancy, but a post at WotC is what brought me to this site, because I'm a fan of that Map (and it's cartographer, of course).

Incredible job.

I created Collinwood, Gwarch, and the Redwoods, and I was thrilled when they made it into an official product. :)

RobA
11-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Sorry for the threadomancy, but a post at WotC is what brought me to this site, because I'm a fan of that Map (and it's cartographer, of course).

Incredible job.

I created Collinwood, Gwarch, and the Redwoods, and I was thrilled when they made it into an official product. :)

Mind providing the WOTC link where we were mentioned?

Thanks,

-Rob A>

MarkusTay
11-25-2008, 03:37 PM
? :?: ?

This is it -

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=17280805&postcount=172

Thats the exact post, and here is the thread (on that page) -

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1094493&page=6

Tough Crowd. :roll:

torstan
11-25-2008, 04:00 PM
I think Rob meant to say 'providing' rather than 'proving'. Not a tough crowd, just a curious one :)

MarkusTay
11-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Okay, that makes all the difference in the world.

I thought you guys were goin to break-out the rubber-hoses and make me talk. :P

RobA
11-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Sorry MarkisTay -

D@mn spellchecker! Why can't my computer just know what I mean to type!

Have some rep for your good natured response to my inadvertently harsh post :)

-Rob A>

Blackflagon
04-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Schley, I'm totally impressed to see you here! I'm a huge fan of this map. In fact, I printed it out and laminated it for my reference. This map is the single reason why I chose to start our campaign in Cormyr as we all get our 4E feet wet, so to speak.

Wonderful work, excellent map. Please, please, please keep me/us updated when you decide to do more in the FR campaign setting for 4E!

Blackflagon

jessiwolf
02-19-2012, 04:41 AM
I know it's years later, but I absolutely love this map. The first time I saw it, I literally gasped and said "This is amazing!!!" :D

Robulous
02-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Wow, very pretty! Is it hand-drawn and scanned, or done with a tablet?

My only comments are it's quite busy with labels obscuring your pretty handiwork, but that's true of real world maps so not really a criticism. I'd also like to see a more contrasting colour and/or texture distinguishing the swamps from lakes. But overall, fantastic.

Lenox274
02-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Nice use of color, and a very gentle map to look at. Love it.

EvilOverlordX
04-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Very well done!