PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: Griffons Quarter

Sagenlicht
10-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Well this is my first try to create a town map actually so this should be a nice experience for me :)

This is my first WiP to give you an idea what I plan to do. Please feel free to comment. I'll try to give the town an autumn feeling.

The houses are from the Dundjinni forums as is the tree and the fences. I plan to use more of them.

The map itself is done in GIMP.

### Latest WIP ###

Sagenlicht
10-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Hmm not a single comment so far... I hope that aint a real bad sign?

Anyways a small update, to show more of the idea behind.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
10-09-2008, 03:13 PM
No not a bad sign at all, folks don't seem to be commenting as much on this months challenge.

I was waiting until I saw a bit more before I made any comments. I like what I see so far, nice to see a bit of autumnal colors. :)

mmmmmpig
10-09-2008, 03:16 PM
for an autumnal setting I would de-green the grass ground covering just a tad. Looks a little spingish

One does not get to use the word "Autumnal" enough

Ascension
10-09-2008, 08:40 PM
My back has been out for a few days so I've been here...just responding to anything overt sticking out. This is looking good but I'd shrink the texture of the pebble paths...they look to big to be a real pebble path. Nice job so far and maybe add some detail in the chimney smoke...some gray or something.

Sagenlicht
10-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Ok, another update here.

I agreee Ascension, the pebbles were to big. I am gonna worry about those details like smoke at the end. I just wanted to add some to see how looks like.

In this WiP I added some market stands, I hope they'll fit in.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
10-13-2008, 11:39 AM
This is turning out nicely Sage.

I think it would make more sense to have the market stands grouped around a central area or at least grouped closer together.

bryguy
10-13-2008, 05:33 PM
wow lol, this was how i was trying to make mine look before i gave up on it (couldnt get anything to look right)

looks great :)

Sagenlicht
10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
This is turning out nicely Sage.

I think it would make more sense to have the market stands grouped around a central area or at least grouped closer together.

Heh SG, you know I thought exactly the same. Though I am not sure if I will solve it but not all buildings allready have a fixed location (like the fountain that I allready moved around).

My biggest problem is, that I dont wanna have a dominating market place and if I would group it up in the middle I guess that would happen.

Steel General
10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
My biggest problem is, that I don't wanna have a dominating market place and if I would group it up in the middle I guess that would happen.

Yeah, you are right about that, it was just an idea anyway. Stick with your "vision".

mmmmmpig
10-13-2008, 10:29 PM
I think you need to be careful color-wise with the fountain graphic. Because everything else seems to have a muted foresty/earthen palette, the fountain with its stark blue sticks out pretty strongly. My eye constantly drifts towards the fountain while looking at the map. The map is looking really nice though!

Sagenlicht
10-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Aye mmmmmpig, I am aware of that problem, if you take a look on an earlier WiP you see where i started from. Here is another take on the fountain, along with some other small updates.

### Latest WIP ###

Lord
10-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Tthe textures and shading are great. But you need to work blending that grass in, everything looks a little too orderly.

Sagenlicht
10-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Well Lord, the grass texture is partly a place holder where I have to place buildings/objects. Wherever they will be visible at the end they either get fenced or softened. You are right, the way it is looking right now wouldnt work.

Anyways another small update, I am getting closer to finishing line.

Still have to place some objects but mainly I have to worry about the details from now on :)

### Latest WIP ###

RobA
10-16-2008, 08:43 AM
That is looking just super, Sagenlicht!

-Rob A>

StillCypher
10-16-2008, 11:26 AM
I really like how this is coming together. The "autumn" idea is really working for me -- looks like a nice, cozy little hamlet to hunker down in. But... where's the pumpkin patch? :D

delgondahntelius
10-16-2008, 06:27 PM
fantastic work Sage!

Sagenlicht
10-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh thank you very much everyone for your nice comments *blushes*

Sadly today my internet and mail pc did crash and I did need to save some files before I lose them forever so I hadnt much time to work on the challenge.

Anyways next small update, I started to add fences to some buildings, I hope they are fitting.

### Latest WIP ###

dragonwolf
10-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Looking good. I wouldn't want to walk on that road though for fear of tripping and breaking something. It still seems that those stones are too large. Based on the scale of the gates and other items, most of the rocks appear to be about 1 foot in size.

Sagenlicht
10-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Another small update.

Added some more fences, a bush and a tree and cause we are getting closer to Halloween pumpkins shouldnt be left out :)

In addition I did resize the pebbles once more, maybe the last time now? :)

Its fun to work on the details of the map :D

### Latest WIP ###

dragonwolf
10-21-2008, 02:40 AM
That road looks much better now. I like the pumpkin addition as well.

Aera Lure
10-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Very nice. I find myself wondering though if the smoke shouldnt have so noticeable a change in direction, as it heads for a very short distance south and then sharply east? It also seems afraid to leave the confines of the rooftops, especially on the building on the left, giving more the impression of mist clinging to a mountaintop than smoke billowing from a chimney. Part of it might be that I think you might want the smoke a touch more grey and/or transparent than allowing it to be an almost solid misty white.

That said, its a really minor thing. I love all the other details.

Sagenlicht
10-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Next and maybe final update.

Tried to clear up all grass issues by either adding the last missing fences or soften up the borders (e.g at the smithy) and added the last missing building.

I really planned to add some leaves on the roads but I dont think I'll finish my script in time.

About the smoke... Yeah it gives me headaches for sure. I am still figuring out how I could do them better :oops: If I find a solution by tomorrow, I will add more smoke and change the existing one.

### Latest WIP ###

jfrazierjr
10-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Nice Entry!