PDA

View Full Version : GIMP/General question about symetrical patterns

jfrazierjr
10-07-2008, 02:52 PM
What would be the best way to create a symmetrical pattern in Gimp(or something free)? I am thinking of things like Compasses, etc. Is there an easy way, or is it just one of those things that you have to just be careful doing? Eg.

Say I want to create an arrow:

Hopefuly, my poor ASCII art skills get across what I am trying to accomplish here, ie, a tapered head and tail with a bisecting center line.

Likewise, how would someone go about making a slightly more complicated pattern such as a Celtic knot or or something like that? Are there any free tools out there that help do this sort of thing?

RobA
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
For any type of patterns/diagrams, etc. I use Inkscape rather than GIMP. Working with vectors is much, much easier.

Try HeathenX screencasts http://screencasters.heathenx.org/ for great Inkscape videocasts.

-Rob A>

delgondahntelius
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
I would try to pull it off in a vector program like Inkscape or Xara ...something you can make one half of the item you want and then mirror it

bryguy
10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
you could try (in gimp) making half of it and then copy it, rotate it (probably 180 degrees) and then do Transform: Flip Vertically (or is it horizontally? cant remember....) and then move it to where you want it. That might work