View Full Version : October Entry: The Ruin Xel-Del-Rath!

10-07-2008, 06:16 PM
This is a BIG surprise as to how I am approaching this challenge.

Expect something very, very different!

### Latest WIP ###

10-08-2008, 07:41 AM
So, here it is. The Ruins of Xel-Del-Rath!

For a change of pace, I thought I would make the map in......THE AURORA TOOLSET for NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 2!

Just for a change of pace ;)

The only disappointing thing, was the Temple of the Dead God would not show up on the mini map :(

I certainly don;t expect to win, or even garner much votes. It was just something different to do ;)

Steel General
10-08-2008, 08:15 AM
I think that's a great take/twist on the challenge NK, and I like what I see. Just wish the mini-map were bigger. :)

How come the Temple doesn't show on the mini-map?

I dub thee newly repped for taking a chance on something different *bonk*

10-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Yeah, That, I could not answer. A bug of somesort.

I fought all night with it making the map and trying to put a bridge in that wouldn't bake properly (heh, makes it sound like I am making a cake or something), so I removed a river I had initially put in.

So here is a shot from the toolset showing the map as a whole without the Lighting effects and fog and stuff.

### Latest WIP ###

10-08-2008, 09:39 AM
oh man dude this is awesome!!!

(ps. what program are you using?)

10-08-2008, 09:45 AM
oh man dude this is awesome!!!

(ps. what program are you using?)

It is the toolset that comes with Neverwinter Nights 2. I believe it is called the Aurora Toolset.

10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I have a special respect for entries that are not targeted to win. Without disparaging the awesome honour of winning, nobody ever caught a bus any faster or ate better for an honorary award :).

Follow your inspiration!

10-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I can see why you went with the enigmatic question mark to begin with... risky, but worth the risk. This looks pretty tight and I imagine immenently playable.

10-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Suffice it to say ... !@#$%&() Awesome..... that rocks man, totally wish that bug hadn't been in there!! ... man that is a tight way to go about the map... kudos.. and rep!

10-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Its a nice entry Nk :)

Completly unrelated to the challenge, but as I saw you are used to the aurora toolset I got some questions :)

I wonder if its hard to learn the aurora toolset as I got NWN2 as well and maybe I should give it a try? I am still a bit unsure how I wanna do some mappings for my new D&D campaign like a monastery which contains several buildings (chapel, cloister, sleeping rooms etc.). Would be the toolset a viable option compared to GIMP? How did you export the images? Did you do screenshots or is it possible to export views into jpgs or even better into pngs?

10-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Nice job Neon! I've made a few towns in the toolset but nothing like this.

10-10-2008, 11:55 AM
The toolset has it's quirks, but on the whole is not that difficult to learn.

Lots of good resources for using it here:

10-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the link NK :)

10-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Cool. I thought of doing something similar using the first NWN, but never got that far into it. I always thought being able to have a top-down view and also have character level view would be cool.