PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: The Ruin Xel-Del-Rath!

NeonKnight
10-07-2008, 07:16 PM
This is a BIG surprise as to how I am approaching this challenge.

Expect something very, very different!

### Latest WIP ###

NeonKnight
10-08-2008, 08:41 AM
So, here it is. The Ruins of Xel-Del-Rath!

For a change of pace, I thought I would make the map in......THE AURORA TOOLSET for NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 2!

Just for a change of pace ;)

The only disappointing thing, was the Temple of the Dead God would not show up on the mini map :(

I certainly don;t expect to win, or even garner much votes. It was just something different to do ;)

Steel General
10-08-2008, 09:15 AM
I think that's a great take/twist on the challenge NK, and I like what I see. Just wish the mini-map were bigger. :)

How come the Temple doesn't show on the mini-map?

I dub thee newly repped for taking a chance on something different *bonk*

NeonKnight
10-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah, That, I could not answer. A bug of somesort.

I fought all night with it making the map and trying to put a bridge in that wouldn't bake properly (heh, makes it sound like I am making a cake or something), so I removed a river I had initially put in.

So here is a shot from the toolset showing the map as a whole without the Lighting effects and fog and stuff.

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
10-08-2008, 10:39 AM
oh man dude this is awesome!!!

(ps. what program are you using?)

NeonKnight
10-08-2008, 10:45 AM
oh man dude this is awesome!!!

(ps. what program are you using?)

It is the toolset that comes with Neverwinter Nights 2. I believe it is called the Aurora Toolset.

Sigurd
10-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I have a special respect for entries that are not targeted to win. Without disparaging the awesome honour of winning, nobody ever caught a bus any faster or ate better for an honorary award :).

Follow your inspiration!

Sigurd

mmmmmpig
10-08-2008, 01:08 PM
I can see why you went with the enigmatic question mark to begin with... risky, but worth the risk. This looks pretty tight and I imagine immenently playable.

delgondahntelius
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Suffice it to say ... !@#$%&() Awesome..... that rocks man, totally wish that bug hadn't been in there!! ... man that is a tight way to go about the map... kudos.. and rep!

Sagenlicht
10-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Its a nice entry Nk :)

Completly unrelated to the challenge, but as I saw you are used to the aurora toolset I got some questions :)

I wonder if its hard to learn the aurora toolset as I got NWN2 as well and maybe I should give it a try? I am still a bit unsure how I wanna do some mappings for my new D&D campaign like a monastery which contains several buildings (chapel, cloister, sleeping rooms etc.). Would be the toolset a viable option compared to GIMP? How did you export the images? Did you do screenshots or is it possible to export views into jpgs or even better into pngs?

Ascension
10-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice job Neon! I've made a few towns in the toolset but nothing like this.

NeonKnight
10-10-2008, 12:55 PM
The toolset has it's quirks, but on the whole is not that difficult to learn.

Lots of good resources for using it here:

http://www.nwn2toolset.dayjo.org/

Sagenlicht
10-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the link NK :)

dragonwolf
10-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Cool. I thought of doing something similar using the first NWN, but never got that far into it. I always thought being able to have a top-down view and also have character level view would be cool.