PDA

View Full Version : Hey there!

Schley
10-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Hello all!
I've posted here a few times in the past, but I don't think I've ever properly introduced myself.

I'm a freelance cartographer and illustrator mainly providing art and maps to WOTC for various D&D properties. My most recently released projects have been a series of illustrations for P1 King of the Trollhaunt Warrens (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/218497400) and numerous maps for the new Scales of War Adventure Path (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duarch/adp).

I look forward to posting more and becoming a part of the Cartographers Guild community rather than just a lurker. ;)

Mike

torstan
10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
It's good to have you over here. Welcome!

BlackLotus
10-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the Guild!! Please share some of your map making Tips.

NeonKnight
10-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Welcome!

I hope you don;t mind those of here making BATTLEMAP sized maps based off your work for miniature use while playing Keep on the Shadow Fell, Thunderspire Labyrinth, Pyramid of Shadows and the upcoming King of the Trollhaunt Warrens.

Steel General
10-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Schley
10-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Welcome!

I hope you don;t mind those of here making BATTLEMAP sized maps based off your work for miniature use while playing Keep on the Shadow Fell, Thunderspire Labyrinth, Pyramid of Shadows and the upcoming King of the Trollhaunt Warrens.

I don't mind at all as long as they aren't being used commercially. WOTC may have more to say, but as far as I know, it's fine.

NeonKnight
10-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't mind at all as long as they aren't being used commercially. WOTC may have more to say, but as far as I know, it's fine.

Nope, I have made a bunch for Miniature Use, label every one: Based on original map by Mike Schley, and provide them here, free of charge.

delgondahntelius
10-08-2008, 09:36 PM
great looking maps !! ... do you use the same technique to do illustrations as well as the maps?

Schley
10-08-2008, 09:48 PM
great looking maps !! ... do you use the same technique to do illustrations as well as the maps?

Actually no. :)

I use a painterly style for illustrations unless they are part of a map. If I'm adding a vignette to a map though, I'll ink and paint it in a style similar to my mapping style.

See attached:

delgondahntelius
10-08-2008, 10:23 PM
was that done in photoshop too? ... or was Corel involvoed?

Schley
10-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Photoshop. I'm working on getting my Corel Painter skills up to speed.

delgondahntelius
10-09-2008, 02:50 AM
After using photoshop and getting used to it.. I've found Corel a little harder to use than I thought it would be... I too am trying to get gain some skill in it... but its a slow process... but I might get there before haley's comet returns...