PDA

View Full Version : Wet, Weathered and Worn

Steel General
10-10-2008, 01:37 PM
OK, so I was playing around at work today (its a slow day) with the base map from this months challenge and this is what I ended up with so far. I didn't have any real goal in mind, just playing around with textures and layer effects, etc.

The foamy water could be better but I think the lichen/moss covered rocks look pretty good.

The bridge was added as an after thought, not sure if I'll keep it, dump it, or add more.

Jkaen
10-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Looking nice, the green needs some sort of texture to it though

Steel General
10-10-2008, 07:09 PM
The green does have a texture on it - hmmm... maybe it got to "washed out" when I put the gaussian blur on it.

Ascension
10-10-2008, 09:51 PM
I like the land, looks very crunchy. Nice job.

Turgenev
10-12-2008, 10:37 PM
I like it, especially the texture of the rock. I did see some straight lines* in the rock texture that did seem a bit off setting to me, but overall well done.

* small island top left corner.

Steel General
10-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Ok, I tried to improve the mossiness a bit and get rid of what I think were the strait lines Turgenev was talking about. Or at least I hope I did. :D

jfrazierjr
10-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Ok, I tried to improve the mossiness a bit and get rid of what I think were the strait lines Turgenev was talking about. Or at least I hope I did. :D

very pretty. Now, the big question: Did you use a layer mask to paint your moss texture or just paint directly onto a higher transparent layer?

mmmmmpig
10-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Great textures!

I like the look of this, but I am unsure of any geological forces that might actually create such a place...

methinks magic was involved! :)

Steel General
10-13-2008, 04:18 PM
I 'painted' it on a higher transparent layer.

I haven't gone thru your mask tutorial yet (but I will).

jfrazierjr
10-13-2008, 04:59 PM
I 'painted' it on a higher transparent layer.

I haven't gone thru your mask tutorial yet (but I will).

Take a read through mine and then be sure to read Del's. He uses layer masks to do this EXACT type of thing in Photoshop. As I said in my tut... you will be amazed by the flexibility this gives you once you start using masks to do this type of thing instead of just painting directly on a layer.

Steel General
10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Great textures!

I like the look of this, but I am unsure of any geological forces that might actually create such a place...

methinks magic was involved! :)

Thanks - spiral graphics is my friend, I use a lot of their textures in my maps.

Yeah I wouldn't doubt this is a geographical impossibility, but I never let that stop me before. :)