PDA

View Full Version : Inhabitants of the world. Any need for illustrations?

Pages : [1] 2

12rounds
10-11-2008, 04:26 AM
Hello all.

This is my first post in here. I followed a user "redrobes" from EnWorld to here and found this collaborative work very fascinating.

Now I'm not a cartographer. I focus my efforts to making illustrations of rpg characters. I'm wondering if there is any need for character illustrations in this project at this point in time? And if so, are there any guidelines for illustrative works?

Does anyone co-ordinate worldbuilding per area? Ie. if I would make an illustration of a - say - Silver Watch soldier, would I be stepping over anyone's toes? Is there any kind of an approval process?

Oh and here's one recent image of mine. Just to show my illustrative style. Complete 3d work is what I do. But if it's enough, I would like to try my hands on creating some illustrations (characters, creatures, items, locations) for this project.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/magicians/magic_025.jpg

Gandwarf
10-11-2008, 04:38 AM
Why are this man's hands on fire? And more disturbingly, why is noone helping him?? :o

Anyway, cool illustration. Very nicely done. Made entirely on the computer?

12rounds
10-11-2008, 04:49 AM
Well this guy is supposed to be a magician of sorts. "Flaming Hands" kind of a spell in effect.

Entirely digital yes. Composed in 3d and postworked in 2d. I have my own digital process which I've refined for years.

----

On further thought, it's possible I've opened this thread in a wrong forum. Perhaps the dedicated CWBP forum area would have been the right the place to post. Oh well.

Redrobes
10-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Hey 12Rounds, good to see you here ! I have always been impressed with your work over at EnWorld.

We have a community world building project here (the CWBP) which has its own topic in the forums where each person took on a section or tile of an area and we mapped it in different styles.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Indexes/CWBP_Index.htm

In this thread - http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2437 - is an area within my tile which has lizardmen and wyverns so I used your CC image of a wyvern in it so you can see that on in action there.

I reckon theres always plenty of scope for doing character illustrations. We have a VTT section here too and you prob know that I write one of these. Well, were always looking for top down token views. Doing a character portrait and a top down token view is excellent as you can have them as player characters and have the token on the board and image on the character sheet. Also nice to be able to play maps with tokens and then say - this one here looks like this...

Its a good community here - I think you will like it.

Steel General
10-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Very nice work! I more or less "donated" a pantheon that is being used in the CWBP, to some extent, if you're interested I would love to see your take on the deities sigils/symbols or even their 'avatars'.

Actually anyone who wanted to try their hand at these would be welcomed compared to my pathetic attempts.

NeonKnight
10-11-2008, 01:48 PM
I think people would love to see graphical representations of peoples.

Welcome to the Guild!

Torq
10-11-2008, 03:44 PM
12rounds welcome to the guild and more specifically welcome to the CWBP. There is so much stuff that needs illustrating in the project. But its a long-term project and so there is no hurry. I would start in a selfish way. The area map I did is part of a region called Groam. Central to that area are a group of knights/militia called the Grey Watch. I would really like a pic of a grey watchman for the Groam entry in the Wiki. More details on the organisation can be found on Wiki itself which is linked in this forum.

I like the illustration, and think you are going to get a lot of requests.

Torq

12rounds
10-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Thank you for your nice words everyone.

I took a look at the pantheon of gods in the wiki ... Aldamar was listed first.
So I made a shield design for Aldamar. It's something to use later on when doing some servants of Aldamar - soldiers, clerics etc.

This is the shield design - it's seen some action too!

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/cwbp-symbols/shield_aldamar.jpg

Steel General
10-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Very nice, I like it!

Torq
10-12-2008, 03:54 AM
Yes, very nice. Ahem ...... Wiki Editors........

Torq

Airith
10-12-2008, 04:29 PM
The shield design for the Gods look awesome, and I would love to see a shield design done for Valan (in the wiki). But a new one, not all dented :P

Other than that, I really like your work, and now I feel bad because I can't draw anything that good :(

DarkOne
10-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Nice offer, I will be needing a sketch of the race that will be ruling Chedalbur. When I ready with info, I post it here.

12rounds
10-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Okies... I just made this story up to support an illustration I created.

-------------------------

There's always a need of justice - even during times of peace.

In many areas life outside of cities is tough and filled with harsh manual labor. People are fighting the nature's elements alongside wild beasts to protect their only income - lifestock, grain and vegetables. Most governing bodies in (CWBP) only rarely bother to send properly equipped and trained soldiers to assist people in scarcely populated remote areas. Soldiers are mostly only around to collect taxes. Still ... justice is served in many regions. In several areas of the world, liege lords hire the servants of Aldamar to act as a sort of travelling one-man law enforcement units. These adventurous individuals then travel the villages and smaller towns looking for disputes to settle. Travelling judges they are not - more of civil arbitrators whose opinions and wise tales teach common law and common sense when people run into disagreement.

Aldamar's arbitrators have no official organisation. There is no initiation, training or fee to pay to become one and no one keeps track of them. It's very common that they are local people who have gained the respect of village elders and their task is more of a calling than a job. Of course they have no official business in doing what they do if the lords of the land don't want them around. Still even in areas where their business is outright outlawed, the toughest and most stubborn stay and continue preaching about justice and sensible laws. On the other hand, there are many areas where liege lords support them and see their work crucial in keeping the rural populace content and law-abiding. Some liege lords try to suppress their arbitrators when their opinions differ from theirs, but mostly the efforts to control the arbitrators have been futile - the arbitrators only listen to what Aldamar has to say about how to deal justice.

Aldamar's arbitrators are usually well versed in both diplomacy and communal laws. They need to be verbally talented and possess enough charisma to convince people behind their opinion. They are mostly sensible in their actions and most of them possess good skills in oratory and story-telling. They often travel a lot and thus they crucially need skills to survive in hostile environs. Some of them are very adept at combat especially if they operate in areas where their presence is not tolerated by the lords of the land.

------------

Meet Bernold Hanyvan, Aldamar's arbitrator who works in rural areas near Borderton, Thrubmorton Fens.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_026.jpg

jfrazierjr
10-13-2008, 02:17 PM
These rock. Hmmm I wonder if we can keep your rep above your post count. I have done my part and bonked you with the +2 whip of repping. That would be an interesting experiment...

Now, any plans to do some maps? This is the Cartographers Guild after all. Not that I am complaining about having a wonderfully talented illustrator hanging around giving us some cool free portraits and stuff... Sorry... I tend to babble... Move along, nothing to see here folks.

jfrazierjr
10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh yea.. how about trying a top down token of Mr Hanyvan for those of us who use VTT's, cause, as I said earlier, this portrait rocks!

Steel General
10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
That is fantastic, you've even expanded on my vague description of what different parts of the church would be like.

I dub thee newly repped with my Cudgel *bonk*

Torq
10-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Great work 12rounds. Nothing adds flavour quite like an illustration. The written work is very good too and should definately be included in the wiki.

Torq

12rounds
10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
First, thank you all for making a newcomer feel welcome!

Now, any plans to do some maps?
I've never really dabbled into that territory. I would be inclined to say "no" at the moment since I don't really know where to even begin and that would naturally take limited time away from character illustrations. But who knows?

how about trying a top down token of Mr Hanyvan for those of us who use VTT's, cause, as I said earlier, this portrait rocks!
Honestly I don't even know what the acronym VTT even stands for and I've never ever made a single top down token before. So this here is the first. Maybe there are some guidelines lying around, but this token is easily changed if need be.
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_026.jpg

The written work is very good too and should definately be included in the wiki.
Yea well, thanks, but English is not my native language (it's my third actually), so anything I write would have to be grammar and spell-checked by a native speaker.

Steel General
10-13-2008, 04:29 PM
VTT = Virtual Table Top

As far as your English goes, its better than a lot of people I've known who have spoke/wrote it their entire lives, besides WIKI's are meant to be edited, so don't let that stop you.

Valarian
10-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Wow ... the quality of the illustrations is amazing. I'd love to see more of the illustrations, and I think it adds real depth to a setting to see character illustrations. If you should happen to bump across Akron in your travels .... ;)

jfrazierjr
10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Ok. so after Picking up my jaw off the ground... all I have to say is WOW. As SG already stated. VTT's are virtual table tops. Made original so that people who were not in the same room could still play together and see the same Map and using tokens (such as the one you made in the last post as a virtual miniature on the software. Redrobes on this forum actually wrote ViewingDale (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/viewingdale.pl?category=main&sx=1280). Likewise, Trevor wrote Maptool (http://rptools.net/doku.php)
OpenRPG, Battlegrounds, and several others on the market. They range from free to pay for GM only to play for each copy and each has their own strenghts and weaknesses.

As for the token, SWEET. The only thing I would say to make it better would be that most people using top down tokens have the resolution set to 100,150, or 200 px per inch for good zooming in, and most top downs expect stuff not part of the body/clothing/gear to be transparent png. You can take a quick look over at fouruglymonsters.com or rpgmapshare.com for a few other examples. Also, FYI, you could make a bit of side money producing portraits and tokens of this quality. Of course, if you give them away for free, that will not hurt my feelings any!!!!

Valarian
10-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I've added Bernold to the Wiki. The link is on the Overview page as Aldamar's Arbitrators, under the Organisations section.

The page: http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Arbitrators

Redrobes
10-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow (wheres that eye popping emoticon when you need it). I mean just wow. How do you do that ? So you use poser and then have some technique to get it into something you color up ? Is that it ? Do you trace out the 3D model with a pen or get some technique to get you part way there. You gotta shine some light on that process.

I got a new head model I could try to use to do the same (in a halfassed kind of way) if only I knew how.

Oh yes... VTTs - you should play with them sometime. But the top down view is awesome. You can play with the figure on the map and have the front view on the character sheet for all to see what he looks like. Its perfect. Im not on my regular PC tonight but I will ensure that he gets some images and coverage in the fens.

industrygothica
10-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Yes, very nice. Ahem ...... Wiki Editors........

Torq

On it...

-IG

Torq
10-14-2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks IG. Very nice edit by the way.

Torq

Robbie
10-14-2008, 01:54 AM
is it cell shading with post processing?

12rounds
10-14-2008, 02:46 AM
The only thing I would say to make it better would be that most people using top down tokens have the resolution set to 100,150, or 200 px per inch for good zooming in, and most top downs expect stuff not part of the body/clothing/gear to be transparent png. You can take a quick look over at fouruglymonsters.com or rpgmapshare.com for a few other examples.
I'll make a note of that. Thanks.

Also, FYI, you could make a bit of side money producing portraits and tokens of this quality. Of course, if you give them away for free, that will not hurt my feelings any!!!!
Hmm... well so far it's only been nickles and dimes really. There are so many talented illustrators out there and I know many industry professionals have issues with 3D work. I have a well-paying day job as a Java programmer and do these illustrations in my spare time. Of course doing paid commission work would indeed be welcome, there's no denying that, but I've not actively pursued it (apart from having sold a few copies of character collections years ago and never receiving replies to inquiries sent over to a dozen or so gaming houses).

How do you do that ? So you use poser and then have some technique to get it into something you color up ? Is that it ? Do you trace out the 3D model with a pen or get some technique to get you part way there. You gotta shine some light on that process.
I first device a concept (on paper usually), then see if I can accomplish that without modelling and retexturing. Usually I can't so it's quite common to first retexture and morph models before I even start.

Setting up things in Poser and once happy in the overall composition then I apply a set of some rather complex shader nodes. Nowadays it just takes two to three render passes to get me where I want to. Then in Photoshop I blend the renders together and just paint over on the blended composite. I started refining this process years ago so all I can say it just takes a lot of practise. About 1/3 of total time is spent in 3D and 2/3 in 2D (Gimp, Photoshop). I also do minor modelling (morphs and small items) in Blender or Wings. It's fairly common for me to just paint whole costumes or other details too if I judge it's easier to do that way. I've been using a Wacom tablet for the past 6 years - I wouldn't even dream of doing anything like this with a plain 'ol mouse. It takes anywhere between 2-5 hours per image.

Oh yes... VTTs - you should play with them sometime.
Yea. I've been a traditional table-top player since mid-80's and I guess since I have a regular group, there's never been a need to get into virtual gaming in the net.

is it cell shading with post processing?
More or less so as explained above.

jfrazierjr
10-14-2008, 08:42 AM
The going rate for things like this is $2-$5 for 20-30 tokens, or something along those lines. If you were to create similar creatures in a set, I expect you could probably bang them out around 3 hours each on average. 20 figures x 3 hours each = 60 hours / $3 a pack and you would just need to sell 30 packs to make $20 per hour. For this quality, I would certainly pay a couple of bucks for 20 tokens(though probably over a 2-3 months time)

I know for me, I would love to have a good number (30 or so each) tokens of Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds, Elves, Dwarfs, halflings, etc. In most cases, you might find around 5 good ones of the monster races and I personally would like a bit more variety(since I tend to like larger scale battles)

As for VTT's if you have a projector, large screen TV, or every player has a computer/laptop at the table, using a VTT can bring some great new features to your play. For example, when everyone uses a computer, most VTT's offer independent views for the assigned token owner. What that means is Thark(played by Billy) goes around a corner by himself while Seth(Played by Jim) stays a few feet from the corner. With many VTT's, Billy will "see" several orcs on his version of the map while Jim will not because the VTT handles actual line of site issues as if it were a real person (but from a top down perpective of course!) Also, many VTT's offer some type of dice rolling or even macro creation so you can automate any complicated formulas. This part drastically speeds up play IMO. I have seen the same battle run live in "normal" face to face and the same battle run in a VTT and the VTT one lasted 1/3 of the time (and was just as exciting). Granted, there were different players, but the characters were pretty much the same types/rolls between the two sessions. Not having to think about adding up bonus x/penlaty y, etc can speed the game up. Even when I play in our face to face group, I play diceless now and rarely take more than 5 seconds to report my action and results to the GM, while several others using dice typically take 30 seconds or more. This does not count when a player fumbles dice and has to reroll. Full Disclosure: One of our biggest holdups in our face to face game is one player who does not pay attention AND tends to ask all sorts of dumb questions during his turn AND is a rules lawyer. We even had to have the GM implment a shot clock just because of this player. So, this may taint my experiences.

Redrobes
10-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Yea. I've been a traditional table-top player since mid-80's and I guess since I have a regular group, there's never been a need to get into virtual gaming in the net.
You would find that with your skills with the pen tablet that your game would be much improved even when playing face to face around the table if you had a display to show your players. You avoid endless amounts of "So where am I again ?" and "Can I see around the corner from where I am ?" and the eternal "But I thought my character was well away from those explosive runes...".

Heres a few seconds of movie for you (www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/General/KimmoChar1/KimmoChar1.avi) - just about 5Mb worth to get the flavour of it.

It shows how you can play with your token and link it to a piccy of him and web sites or other docs. No need to dig out the books or wonder where you put that pic / handout etc.

Given that you do about 1/3 of the work in 3D app anyway you have the top down view nearly done. The top down token for VTTs are a boon. You can draw the shield top down too and then attach it to the character token too. Obviously that goes as well for weapons, hats and any number of other things that are optional extras for the character.

I should have put these into the move but I have another which shows that better (www.viewing.ltd.uk/viewingdale/temp/forum_demos/CharMove/charmove.avi).

If you have any trouble viewing the movies then try VLC though media player should work just fine.

jfrazierjr
10-14-2008, 11:55 AM
You would find that with your skills with the pen tablet that your game would be much improved even when playing face to face around the table if you had a display to show your players. You avoid endless amounts of "So where am I again ?" and "Can I see around the corner from where I am ?" and the eternal "But I thought my character was well away from those explosive runes...".

Heres a few seconds of movie for you (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/General/KimmoChar1/KimmoChar1.avi) - just about 5Mb worth to get the flavour of it.

Sorry this is a OT, but whats a good "free" conversion program from AVI to some type of easily viewable video format, specifically one that reduces the size quite a bit from the original AVI? I have some videos I want to post to the web, but they are AVI's and thus huge and I don't ahve the much space to post the original AVI files. Likewise, I want to do a few short tutorials in CamStudio and shrink the file sizes some.

RPMiller
10-14-2008, 12:20 PM
CamStudio has some pretty good compression formats built in. If you use the settings for the iPod, I think you'll get the smallest size.

jfrazierjr
10-14-2008, 12:33 PM
CamStudio has some pretty good compression formats built in. If you use the settings for the iPod, I think you'll get the smallest size.

I have not had a chance to use it yet.. Will play with it this week.

Nice new Avatar RP. Is that a space ship?

NeonKnight
10-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I believe it's HAL 9000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000

RPMiller
10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
That is indeed HAL. I figured it wasn't really too different from my Eye Avatar after all. ;)

Redrobes
10-14-2008, 01:48 PM
I use camstudio on default large file settings as it seems to be able to save in that better than compressing at the same time. Then I take the file and push through mediacoder and save it in XviD format which is the MPEG4 type which has great compression. Only H264 might be better but not so many players play that ok. The most popular playback format is MPEG but the compression is at least 2 - 3 times more with MPEG4 than older types. I dont believe that there is a popular and free MPEG4 other than XviD anyway. When compressing I strip the audio off and put the bitrate at about 800 which for video is pretty low hence the low image quality.

RPMiller
10-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Heres a few seconds of movie for you (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/General/KimmoChar1/KimmoChar1.avi) - just about 5Mb worth to get the flavour of it.

I should have put these into the move but I have another which shows that better (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/viewingdale/temp/forum_demos/CharMove/charmove.avi).

If you have any trouble viewing the movies then try VLC though media player should work just fine.

I couldn't view the first video, but the second worked great. So can you change out what they are carrying/wearing in real time or do you need to save it as a separate file first?

jfrazierjr
10-14-2008, 02:55 PM
12rounds, I would love to see some more tokens if your willing to put in the effort. I would be more than happy to pay $3-$5 for a (around) 30-60 pack of tokens and I am sure many others would also.

Here is an example (http://www.fouruglymonsters.com/onlinestore/) of the work done by Devin (Night???) if you want to see some samples of what I mean. Deven creates token packs for sale and even does custom work by request (for payment of course). Devon makes some nice tokens(I have purchased 2 packs and the have the free packs), but many of them are a bit "cartoony" for my personal preference.

Redrobes
10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
I clicked on the link with a different PC and it tried to open it with irfanview which didnt play it. If I save the link to disk and then use open with... and select vlc then it was fine. Not sure what else I can do. I thought they were exactly the same format. I always use XviD but something must be different I guess.

As for the token, if you select the edit so that you can move it about with the circle handles which is what your seeing in both movies. You can start to drag, press E for edit and then it takes you to that item where you can take his sword off or put a shield on etc. Then when done you just press backspace to get back to the original map and it will have the new equipment. You can create a clone of it and have two copies with different equip as well if you like but thats not the fastest way to do it. So I would say yes its dynamic but you have to change edit level down by one first which is good because you want to group all the stuff into one token and only have one edit handle for the character and all his equipment all together.

RPMiller
10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I saved it to my desktop, but don't have VLC (or even know what it is) so can't check it.

Pretty cool on the token edit. I think I'll have to keep that in mind for future top downs I create.

RobA
10-14-2008, 04:39 PM
(Threadjack)

I thought they were exactly the same format. I always use XviD but something must be different I guess.

G-Spot disagrees:

I hate codec hell....

-Rob A>

industrygothica
10-14-2008, 05:08 PM
You'll have to forgive me for getting back on topic for a moment, but... ;)

How are you with non-humanoids? I could use an orc king (or king-like, anyway) for the Bloodspires in the Witchlight Strand. I've got an idea brewing, and maybe a visual of him will help get it out of my head and into the wiki.

And it goes without saying that anything else in the Witchlight Strand (or anywhere else in this project, I'm sure) are fair game for your talents.

-IG

RPMiller
10-14-2008, 05:09 PM
I love G-Spot. It has helped me on innumerable occasions as I too hate codec hell. RobA, do you have a viewer suite that you've found works for 90% of the video out there?

RobA
10-14-2008, 05:54 PM
I love G-Spot. It has helped me on innumerable occasions as I too hate codec hell. RobA, do you have a viewer suite that you've found works for 90% of the video out there?

I used to use VLC, but lately have been sticking with SMPlayer (http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/) which is a nice compiled frontend for mplayer (windows and linux binaries available) It also (of course, being based on mplayer) supports AVISynth script files, which is my swiss army knife for video editing.

Though for windows, media player classic (MPC) http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/ seems to support more video formats without driver installs...though it seems to be getting out of date...

-Rob A>

12rounds
10-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Redrobes: Those were nice video clips. I totally get the concept.

How are you with non-humanoids? I could use an orc king (or king-like, anyway) for the Bloodspires in the Witchlight Strand. -IG

I've done orcs and ogres before and they turned up pretty good. I'll give it a go sometime.

I sticked with Aldamar for another one. This time a guy much higher up in the hierarchy of the deity's following. This one likes to show off, has power and lets all around him know that too. Maybe he's a bishop or the like.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/magicians/magic_026.jpg

And an alpha-channeled token too:
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/magicians/top_magic_026.png

Redrobes
10-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Whoah :shock: , this is seriously excellent stuff. I feel like I need to find another 10 people to randomly hit with my rep stick so I can hit you again.

Having a change of dress really does wonders. I am amazed at how quick you do these with so much quality to them.

Edit -- RobA, Oh yes ! That charmove is an old movie. XviD is much better tho.

VLC can be found here for those interested... http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Steel General
10-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Spectacular!

If I can make a specific request... I would like you to try your hand at his avatar -

"An elderly, but powerfully built man dressed in grey and white robes. His beard and hair are white and hang long and straight. He carries a golden crown in his right hand and the scales of justice in his left."

Feel free to experiment a bit, just use the description as a guideline. The WIKI can always be changed.

I'm in the same boat as RedRobes, need to bonk some others with my cudgel so I can smite ya again. :D

RobA
10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
On sg and rr's behalf, a light tap with my +6 rep stick!

And thanks for the contributions! Do you work from photo's of real people?

-Rob A>

Valarian
10-15-2008, 03:28 AM
If you're doing requests, could you consider Artor Cambori - Captain of the Warders in the Akron region.
Link: http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Warders

Artor Cambori is the Captain of the Warders. A powerfully built man with the olive skin native to the Akron region, he has served Karthis as a soldier from boyhood. Rising through the ranks of Karthis' standing army, Artor was offered the chance to start his own mercenary group. He took the offered patronage, defining his group as men of honour. The years show heavily now on Artor, who now approaches fifty years of age. His once dark hair streaked with grey and his wounds slowing him down. Nevertheless, Artor can still be found on the practice ground - helping to train the new recruits and to instil his ethic.

Guys, what sort of era do we want for the Akron region? I've sort of been thinking an Italian style culture, like the Romans but with medieval steel and commerce. However, the culture of Akron could as easily be early Renaissance as Roman.

Torq
10-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Thanks again 12rounds for the remarkable artwork. As you can see the CWBP has a need.

Written jargon warnings for RobA, Redrobes and RPMiller. Hah!

Torq

12rounds
10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
If you're doing requests, could you consider Artor Cambori - Captain of the Warders in the Akron region.
Link: http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Warders

Guys, what sort of era do we want for the Akron region? I've sort of been thinking an Italian style culture, like the Romans but with medieval steel and commerce. However, the culture of Akron could as easily be early Renaissance as Roman.

I have a concept ready for Artor. I'll post him once finished. He has a mixture of Roman and medieval accoutrements.

12rounds
10-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Here is my take on Artor Cambori.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/combat_019.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/top_combat_019.png

Redrobes
10-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Another awesome bit of art. I particularly like the steel look. Thers some nice orange burnishing in there which makes it look real lifelike and the stylish dragon on the shield is good too. This is really great stuff.

Steel General
10-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Another great piece of work, I think you'll find plenty of suggestions/requests for your stuff.

Valarian
10-19-2008, 06:41 AM
Here is my take on Artor Cambori.

:D Nice work. I love the mix of the steel breastplate and the leather skirt and gladius. I'll have to get this up on to the Wiki. Many thanks.

12rounds
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm thinking that The Warders could perhaps use that symbol in the shield as their own. Protecting bronze Griffon on a green back. The 18 steel beads in the shield symbolises the number of the original mercenaries in the organisation the night when Artor officially formed the group. Not all of them are still living, but their legacy lives on in the symbol.

Valarian
10-19-2008, 02:41 PM
I like it ;)

Valarian
10-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Added Artor to the Wiki: http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Warders

Torq
10-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks again Valarian, for all your wiki work.

Torq

12rounds
10-22-2008, 11:50 AM
I suppose there's always a need for undead opponents.

Here is an Orc skeleton warrior.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/thelivingdead/skeleton_003.jpg

http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/thelivingdead/top_skeleton_003.png

I have an Akron merchant prince in the works - a rich, high-living and easy-going dandy adept with a rapier. His story revolves around Artor Cambori in that he has hired The Warders on numerous occasions to protect merchant convoys.

Valarian
10-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I suppose there's always a need for undead opponents.
Here is an Orc skeleton warrior.
Now there's something that's never occurred to me before. So often the skeletons are of humans, but no mention made of the evil necromancer resurrecting his henchmen when they die. Logically, why waste resources. Excellent work.

I have an Akron merchant prince in the works - a rich, high-living and easy-going dandy adept with a rapier. His story revolves around Artor Cambori in that he has hired The Warders on numerous occasions to protect merchant convoys.
Now this is intriguing. I'll have to do some thinking on the merchant guilds present in the city states. The Merchant Guild of Akron being preeminent in the region, for now anyway. The Raedis Guild following close on its heels.

Steel General
10-22-2008, 02:52 PM
@12Rounds - More cool stuff, most excellent!

12rounds
10-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Back to Thrubmorton Fens. I've no idea if anyone has been thinking much about the lizard men of Ansium, but here is something I've come up with.

---------------

In the bigger metropolies of Ansium the general notions of lizard folk is that of vile, stenchy and dumb monsters. Mothers tell their children to behave or lizard-monsters will come and eat them. Of course much of what the average man knows about lizard folk is wrong and based on second-hand stories, general fear of the unknown and strange and the fact that most people in bigger cities never in their whole lives see a lizard man.

Then again ... many of the lizard men are what they are perceived to be - vile, stenchy and dumb. Those are usually the young ones and the young ones are the usual culprits when one speaks of crude, flesh-tearing vile lizard monsters who attack merchant caravans, rural villages and whatnot.

The lizard men do actually have social structure, spoken and written language with associated folklore and tales, and many esoteric human scholars even go so far as to say the lizard men form a hierarchical - albeit fluctuating - and rather unified society. Lizard men are rare outside their natural habitat, the swampy and moist regions of Ansium. But much of those regions are also totally devoid of lizard men. Scholars believe that lizard men are very picky about their habitat and that not just any swamp will suffice as a place for lizard men to call their home.

Lizard men are believed to have kings who rule all he lizard men in their natural geographic region. Kings of different regions may not even know each other since it's extremely rare for lizard men leave their habitat for extended periods of time. That's why there is apparently no higher structure and the hierarchy of lizard men society seems to stop at the regional level. Nevertheless lizard men are aware that there are lizard men living in numerous regions around the world and lizard lore seems to indicate that there exists similar age-old legends and stories between even remote lizard men colonies.

Lizard men do not appreciate stationary dwellings - like humans do - and instead only rarely erect any kind of permament structures. A notable exception are the peculiar mystic standing stones located in every area where there is or has been lizard men activity. The stones are believed to be shamanistic and a substantial number of stories seems to conform that lizard men indeed have highly competent, educated and revered shamans among them.

"Sshraak". It's a lizard man term that roughly translates to "fearless". That's also the name of the lizard man king who rules an almost unreachable swampy region that humans call Deathchaser Fen in Thrubmorton Fens. The region that Sshraak rules contains small islands and hard land as well as swamps and in part it overlaps the regional influence of cities like Mullion, Morton and Nortonspire. This causes regional conflicts on regular basis. Lizard men consider human inhabitans as invaders to their sacred old lands and humans treat the lizard men as little else than a menacing evil that needs to get rid of to make way for a civilised way of life.

Sshraak usually keeps out of direct conflict and instead he commands his senior lieutenants who in turn command hordes of younger lizard men. These hordes are loosely organised into raiding parties attacking in a seemingly chaotic pattern anything that tries to move in their land. Some of the raiding parties go a little longer outside the core areas of lizard men and have extended even into Fenridge Castle.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/combat_020.jpg

http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/top_combat_020.png

delgondahntelius
10-25-2008, 05:15 PM
ohhhhh.... I love the topdown mini!!! did you draw that straight up with no 3d type of rendering first? .... I suspect you did just draw it like that with out some model to go off of... but I thought I might ask first rather than assume.... Great illustration... fabulous...

RPMiller
10-25-2008, 06:06 PM
ohhhhh.... I love the topdown mini!!! did you draw that straight up with no 3d type of rendering first? .... I suspect you did just draw it like that with out some model to go off of... but I thought I might ask first rather than assume.... Great illustration... fabulous...
Read up above where he explains his process. It is a Poser figure with node work and post work.

Valarian
10-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Another top quality drawing and background. Great work 12Rounds

Steel General
10-25-2008, 07:14 PM
More amazing stuff, fantastic!

Redrobes
10-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Amazing stuff again. Unbelievable and such good standard again I don't know how you do it. I have a 3D lizard man head you can have if you like - I dont know what poser imports but it might be cool to have a play. I was going to texture it up at some stage.

Have you seen the thread for Crazy Krull. Maybe you might like to have a go at some of his men. Sorta viking like, very skilled boatmen who protect merchants on the Crazy Krull crossing. I have done Krull himself but your welcome to have a better go at him and I am using that great Wyvern as his mount. So you have lizard men, Krull, Mount so just some boats men and generic merchants and there would be the full set !

This is really excellent stuff. I tried to rep some more but apparently I am being too chaste and need to whore it a bit first.

I might just have to post a little battle map in Hardy Point with Krull and Lizard men...

jfrazierjr
10-25-2008, 08:02 PM
That Lizard man is just plain awesome!

12rounds
10-26-2008, 02:46 AM
Have you seen the thread for Crazy Krull. Maybe you might like to have a go at some of his men. Sorta viking like, very skilled boatmen who protect merchants on the Crazy Krull crossing.

Yeah I read all that and that's why I wanted to locate Sshraak in that area. And yes I'm thinking I'll have a go at some of the mercenaries and more lizard men later on.

12rounds
10-26-2008, 03:46 AM
ohhhhh.... I love the topdown mini!!! did you draw that straight up with no 3d type of rendering first?
For the topdown and illustration above: totalling to around 1,5 hours setting things up in 3D and 3 hours in Photoshop.

I don't hide my work flow in any way and I'm flattered whenever people have a hard time deciding whether one of my images is based on a rendering or whether it's an actual drawing. That's what I call success myself! :D

Personally I only care about the final look and don't mind what kind of tools it takes to get there. I'm not a fan of plain renderings myself. Many try to achieve the "looks like an actual photo!" -look, but I'm the opposite in trying to go the other way. I know lots of people look down on 3d/2d work ... "Oh you just pushed buttons to get that. Big deal.", but the main point is that *I* enjoy the results. If it's liked by anyone else, that's just an added bonus!

delgondahntelius
10-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Well after RP mentioned you talked about it ..a nd went back and read through the posts (evidently I had missed a few more than I thought on this thread) but I actually remember reading how you did your illustrations .... I just got really excited when I saw it and immediately had to know .. :D great job and have some rep

Ascension
10-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I love lizardmen and this one kicks! Well done indeed. How about a lizard shaman? :) Loves me some lizards.

12rounds
11-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Ok ... on to the next.

Raedis is one of the rising stars of Akron's independent city states. It's rise has been mostly influenced by the weakening of city state of Akron itself and it has quickly became a bustling port wherein many kinds of tradeable goods pass hands when the price is settled upon. The quick rise has had it's unwanted consequences as well - mainly in that the laws and regulations in Raedis are lagging behind progress. It's also not uncommon in today's Raedis to come upon some very shady characters and groups who are in the trade business for a quick profit be it legal or not.

Raedis has it's own guild of merchants and it's head huncho has been Plinius Alleuri for almost 25 years - excepting a short period of upheavel a decade ago when an enterprising young rivalling merchant family from the nearby Voran interrupted the guild's normal operations for almost one year. Alleuri family restored their place as a leading merchant family soon enough and it was also the turning point in the career of Plinius' eldest son Filipo.

Filipo was only 19 when he was facing a difficult situation - either to succumb to a new leadership controlled from Voran or try his hands on
difficult maneuvering to restore his family's position. His father and his uncles were rendered powerless by the scheming politics of the new rising power, but they unwisely did not think that Filipo could do anything to stop them. Filipo took matters into his own hands and after a six-month-long marathon of diplomatic and politic struggling and dealmaking he had almost destroyed the credibility and trade routes of the rivalling merchant family. The price of the merchant war was high on Filipo's family though. His youngest brother - aged only 11 at the time - was assassinated by the rivals and his sister Lucida - only 15 - disappeared and believed to be either murdered or sold as a slave by the rivalling family.

After the short period of upheavel was over, Filipo took over the day-to-day routines of the Alleuri family and his father Plinius acts as a formal head of the merchant family and also the leader of the merchant's guild of Raedis. Plinius was very pleased by the initiative his son took and is proud to see him grow up to eventually take over the whole family's affairs.

Filipo is a very bubbling, cheerful and social persona. But there is a much darker side inside him - rotting soul as his enemies would call it. He is very adept at playing with other people's emotions and also lacks empathetic response himself. In fact he doesn't have much in the way of empathy at all. This in turn makes him capable of things that most are not. He has quite the reputation as a womaniser and he has a tendency to leave behind him broken hearts and tears. He himself apparently does not understand the concepts of love and caring the way his female companions do and this naturally has consequences in the way of high-drama conflicts. Still, Filipo is not an unpleasant fellow at all. He has a good sense of drama and humor and razor-sharp wits. He has a tendency for pranking and doesn't mind being on the receiving end of entertaining pranking either. All in all he lives an outgoing and highly visible life of a rich socielite - which he is.

Filipo is well educated, literate and well-mannered. He is also an adept swordsman rapier being his chosen instrument of death. Although he rarely needs to use his skills, there has been many occasions when he has been involved in serious and bloody duels. Rather than rely on his skills alone, he uses the much wiser solution of simply hiring muscle power when it comes time to use it. Filipo is a major financier of many mercenary groups in Akron since he rans several merchant routes in and out of all the big cities in Akron. His routes are routinely targeted by bandits, monsters and rivalling merchant groups, but so far he has still managed to keep ahead of the game. Mercenary groups also respect the Alleuri family because they keep always keep up their end of the deal - even if things end up bad and a merchant caravan gets robbed.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_027.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_027.png

Steel General
11-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Once again, fantastic job!

Valarian
11-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Stunning work (as usual). The writeup is wonderful. Throws some high intrigue in to the mix. Just the flavour I'd thought of for the region. I'm loving your work.

Redrobes
11-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Yeah thats really cool. I will have to post a map of Krull defending the merchant from lizardmen now. The only issue now is that Krull is going to look *so* bad next to these two.

Gamerprinter
11-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Personally I only care about the final look and don't mind what kind of tools it takes to get there. I'm not a fan of plain renderings myself. Many try to achieve the "looks like an actual photo!" -look, but I'm the opposite in trying to go the other way. I know lots of people look down on 3d/2d work ... "Oh you just pushed buttons to get that. Big deal.", but the main point is that *I* enjoy the results. If it's liked by anyone else, that's just an added bonus!

That's exactly how I feel about my artwork. I often dabble in 3D myself. I also have a tendency to use photographs of textures, as one would use in 3D for some of my maps. On other sites, I get accused of just place photos in a unique way, but not creating my work, myself.

For me its the final result that counts. Sometimes I hand-draw, sometimes I use 3D, sometimes I use photo textures as shape fills to create maps. The fact that I don't actually "paint" using PS or GIMP makes some think that I am somehow less of artist, because of it.

Well, that's meaningless bunk and doesn't sway me on what I do to create my art. In this way, the end justifies the means.

GP

12rounds
11-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Thank you all for the nice words. It's much appreciated.

Now something for Witchlight Strand.
As I didn't find much text about the land, I'm making this up as I go.

The area has had it's share of trouble with orcs and goblins and the northern parts of Witchlight Strand are regularly switching ownership between humans, orcs and goblins and occasionally even elves. Port Magalie is one of the mightiest cities in the troubled land having a mixed population of elven, halfling and human origin. Many of the elven inhabitants come from the nearby Liaglades forest, but some have their origins much farther away. Thus there is a certain level of tension between the different elven clans and communities taking residence in the city. This tension is very subtle and almost invisible to all except elves themselves.

Port Magalie's current highest authority, Lord Weers, has a firm grip over the affairs of the city and is thought as one of the major reasons why the city has gained prosperity and has avoided open confrontations with the restless groups of humanoid tribes northeast. The firm grip has it's grimmer side in that many justly think Lord Weers as just another tyrant who finds ways of suppressing any echoes of opposition. In reality one of the key elements in Lord Weers' power is his magical advisor, the half-elven High Counselor Colm Theron. Colm Theron goes to great lengths to keep himself out of the awareness of the general public and instead pulls strings and exerts influence behind dark curtains.

High Counselor Theron has his own remote castle in the heart of Bone Hills - area plagued by both orcs and goblins. Theron Castle is not an easy place to reach and it holds unspoken secrets within it's walls. High Counselor is actually a necromancer belonging to a widely spread, but small, group of necromancers who call themselves Cult of the Black Flame. Black Flame necromancers draw their power from natural phenomen, but corrupt and taint the power when channeling it into their own foul deeds. Counselor Theron's black art originates from the Withclights forest not far in the south and year by year he has advanced his skills into gaining access to more and more of the power the forest has to offer. Unfortunately the necromancer's activity has slowly started to taint the whole forest as every time he uses his magic, small portions of corrupted mana flow back into the source.

High Counselor Theron's castle is protected by the necromancer's magic and also by resurrected orcs, goblins and humans who have been foolish enough to try and invade the castle. The undead presence is a highly kept secret by Theron, but nevertheless rumours about Theron's bony guardians are starting to spread even into Port Magalie - he denies it, of course. But the humanoid tribes know the true side of things and have grown more careful about the castle and it's surroundings. In effect the castle is no longer a regular target and this in turn only validates Theron's determination to go deeper into the black arts - because it works.

Theron has been friends with Lord Weers since childhood and nothing has made ripples between them in over 60 years. The necromancer always travels alone and in cognito and moves in and out of the city undetected as he wishes. Many elven magicians know what Theron truly is, but they are reluctant to do anything about it - yet. Theron's actions are tolerated because his role in keeping Port Magalie safe from the hordes of humanoid tribes is understood. Lord Weers does not perceive his trusted aide as a master of the black arts, but as Theron deteriorates towards the Black Flame year by year, it's only a matter of time until Lord Weers gets a rude awakening.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/magicians/magic_027.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/magicians/top_magic_027.png

Torq
11-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Another great pic 12rounds. Thanks for the amazing input to the CWBP. If, on your troubles you pass through Groam, do stop in take look around.

Torq

industrygothica
11-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Stunning work, as usual. In one post you've managed to accomplish probably more than you realize, not the least of which is making a little girl very happy (Port Magalie is named after my daughter, Megan Leigh, after we sat down one afternoon and went on a naming spree).

You've laid the foundation for an intriguing story of not only Port Magalie and its advisors, but given legitimate reason for the humanoid hordes in the Bloodspires to resist the urge to move farther south... for now.

You've also given substance to the Witchlights themselves, both the forest and the phenomenon, with the ability to draw a magical energy from them--something that had never occurred to me.

And outside of all that, you've expertly demonstrated what the Cooperative World Building Project is all about. I'm so glad you've managed to find your way here. Please, keep up the amazing work.

I've also added sections to the wiki page for Port Magalie and the Cult of the Black Flame, in case you're interested in elaborating there.

-IG

Valarian
11-02-2008, 05:30 PM
12Rounds, I think you're adding a lot of flavour to the world with these descriptions and drawings. The maps are nice, but these really add life and adventure hooks to the world. I just wish I could load some more rep on immediately. I'll have to go share some around so I can come back and add rep for these.

Steel General
11-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I think this latest one is my favorite so far. Great job!

industrygothica
11-02-2008, 07:55 PM
I think this latest one is my favorite so far. Great job!

I was thinking the same thing, but then I figured I was just being biased.

-IG

Redrobes
11-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Flippin eck - I just come here to snag that lizard man and there's another one ! Your on a roll !

I really love the purple mist and the way you have used the transparency to good effect.

I have a viking longboat now so just need to get a map base going and then were in for some lizard butt kickin' action.

Redrobes
11-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Heh - thought you would like this...

Added a few natty hair do's :)

Edit -- Added second pic ( after Ascensions post ) for clarity. I did say that my token would look positively amateur next to kimmo's.

Ascension
11-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I love the Loki-lookin dude with green hair :)

Redrobes
11-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I love the Loki-lookin dude with green hair :)Thats Crazy Krull out in front. He wears a headdress made out of lizardman skin with lizard man hands as antlers.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=24780&postcount=11

He tries (pretty successfully) to bait them up into fury so they attack him first instead of the merchants and passengers that hes protecting. Tho the lizard men know he does this and warns the younglings to avoid him they just cant help it.

More...

http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=CrazyKrullAndTheHardOnes

12rounds
11-07-2008, 01:03 PM
@jfrazierjr: I hope you can use this. I tried to make this with your instructions (blonde long hair, middle-aging, leather armor, bracers, longsword and a backpack).

Here is an elf adventurer named Amrod Elensar who was born in Witchlight Strand and whose heart still belongs to that area. However, Amrod is not like his fellow elves in that he has a yearning for adventure and travelling. He is not very well respected among his brethren because of his thirst of knowing how things are outside the elven lands, but nevertheless his semi-frequent visits to his homeland bring valuable and interesting stories from many faraway places.

Amrod Elensar has no noble blood running in him and his upbringing hasn't cultivated him into anything special. However his parents had enough vision so that they provided Amrod with many useful skills instead of doing like many of their kin do - narrowly focus on one specialty field in which one can try to excel over others similarly focused. Amrod got most of his magical training deep in the elven forests, but his swordmanship has been gained mostly in the outside world. Amrod has very good skills in dealing with hostile terrain and he is a veritable elven rarity in that he can act as a crew member in a merchant ship. Not many elven are determined enough to see the world in that they would accept a low paying job in a marine vessel.

Amrod has a cautious and careful base nature which must be one of the reasons why he is still alive. He has had at least a dozen adventuring companions most of whom have now either died or settled down some place. Amrod has made numerous good friends among his travels and he actually has very good and reliable contacts in almost a hundred cities the faraway lands have to offer.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_028.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_028.png

Steel General
11-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Wunderbar!

12rounds
11-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Tylla Redleaf runs the city's most popular tavern, The Wyvern's Nest, in Port Magalie, Witchlight Strand. Wyvern's Nest might not be the most original of names. In fact, Captain Morgan's Traveler's Guidebook makes notice of at least three other taverns by the exact same name - and it only tells us the places you don't want to miss while travelling. Nevertheless Tylla's place has been in existence almost two decades.

Originating from Callie's Thicket Tylla Redleaf migrated out of the halfling colony after a long feud with the leaders of her community. That was over two decades ago and the feud has been long since settled upon. But Tylla found herself reluctant to return to her ancestrial lands and instead chose to pursue the career of an independent enterpreneur.

The Wyvern's Nest is located right at the heart of Port Magalie - in the central district that joins the port area to the other districts of the buzzing city. The tavern is not only a success among the many ship crews that find themselves spending too much of their hard-earned cash in the city's night life, but also among the residents of the city itself. Tylla's tavern serves above average rations. Not only in quality but also in quantity. The best recipies are in the head of Tylla herself and two other halflings she has hired in the kitchen. Tylla doesn't spend all her time in the tavern though. She has adopted many positions in the city's governing bodies and is also the current head of Port Magalie's Citizen's Development Committee that aims to make constructive suggestions on how to improve the city.

Tylla is a joyful and hearty person with a healthy dose of sense of irony and humor. She also has a short fuse when it comes to obnoxious drunkenness and it's not an uncommon sigth to see Tylla with her big club sweeping out the more rowdy patrons of the good tavern. Her courageous laughter betrays her cunning accuracy with the thing and her special clubbing move ends with the thing convincingly and solidly thumping in the ... erm ... lower abdominal area of the recipient.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_029.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_029.png

Redrobes
11-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Fantastic as usual ! Well done again. There's lots of adventuring characters out there (tho not as good as you do them) but there is a real shortage of all sorts of commoners and you need them just as much. In fact there are probably more monsters covered now than commoners. Maybe people find them less awesome but I think they have more scope for being interesting than most.

Steel General
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Looks like someone I once had a date with :D

12rounds
11-13-2008, 01:19 AM
You dated a halfling? :D

Steel General
11-13-2008, 06:50 AM
You dated a halfling? :D

Hey, I'm not proud of it. :P

ravells
11-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Did you rest your beer on her head?

Steel General
11-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Did you rest your beer on her head?

Well not beer (I don't drink beer if I can help it), but a nice healthy-sized cocktail. :D

RPMiller
11-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Let's not pursue this line of comments any further... ;)

From your family friendly CL. :D

12rounds
11-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Ishaak is the most respected lizardman shaman of the Deathchaser Fen area in Thrubmorton Fens. Ishaak is no king and has no inclination to become one - too much administrative responsibilities and menial tasks for Ishaak's taste. His interests lies in the service of lizardman swamp god Astanhag. The serpentine deity is believed to be communicating thru lizardmen by using the elder shamans as conduits. This is why Ishaak has almost more power than the lizardman tribe chieftains and kings even - his speech is believed to be one that is derived from Astanhag himself.

Most humans don't even realise that lizardmen have organised religion. Those rare few who know that shamans even exist, do not quite grasp the reality of what they actually represent. The ways of the lizardman shamans are therefore mostly unknown and even the most educated elven scholars don't know enough facts to formulate any meaningful answers as to what lizardman shamans are and what they stand for. However some details are certain from eye-witness reports and stories from survivors - lizardman shamans are the ones who sacrifice captured enemies during strange rituals in which much torture, pain and blood of the victims is combined with ferocious dancing of the lizardmen. These sacrifices are executed in the immediate vicinity of totem-like stone structures that in most cases are nothing more than big rocks digged up and erected to an upright position.

Ishaak used to be on the track to become a tribal chieftain, but changed paths some decade ago. His story resembles that of many other lizardman shamans - he disappeared from his tribe without a trace only to return back years later as a shaman. As is the case with other shamans, he refuses to utter a word about where he was those years, how he got there and eventually back.

Ishaak has little respect for humans and the like which he considers a mere infestation of the swampy areas. He has an arsenal of complex rituals at his fingertips. Ishaak controls many magical powers that allow him to change weather conditions in the swamps, transfer the swampy areas to much more dangerous to trespassers and he even apparently has the power to communicate with something ... powerful. Ishaak needs a special "medicine" (a swamp-growing fungus) to start becoming a conduit with his deity and it usually takes days for him to enter a desired state, obtain and answer and recuperate from the ordeal. However, after such rituals he has been able to give advice and information that would indeed indicate that a "discussion" with a god has taken place.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/magicians/magic_028.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/magicians/top_magic_028.png

Ascension
11-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah, man! There we go. I loves me some lizardmen...they're so cute n cuddly and so long as you give em hearts n brains they'll follow you around like a puppy. Excellent job!! <--And I don't throw around exclamation points very lightly. I shall try out my new longsword of butt-kickin bonkage on thee...here, have a few on me.

Steel General
11-16-2008, 09:11 AM
More lizard-y goodness, keep up the great work!

Redrobes
11-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Oh yes, excellent ! The shaman moves in, moves his skull topped staff in strange patterns which emits a jet of foul odours. But all is not lost, our Elven Ranger will be letting loose one of his spells - the battles really heating up now.

Ascension
11-16-2008, 09:53 PM
This is a really cool idea you have here Red...sort of like the CWBP but for an encounter map AND with a play by play that tells a story. Super sweet.

12rounds
11-18-2008, 02:44 PM
This is Tylla Redleaf's inn.

http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/locations/the_wyverns_nest.jpg

Redrobes
11-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Hah, Very good. Somebody with sketchup skillz should knock this out in 3D and do a plan of the common room. Then you have token, photo and map all in one. Actually thinking about it thats not far from my challenge suggestion (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3264). Hmmm

12rounds
11-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Katya Rimbaldi was born in Raedis, Akron, where she still maintains a home. She was a child of a priest of Aldamar and a lady from the famous Alleuri merchant family. Her father Meuron Rimbaldi dedicated his life in service of Aldamar and had a major impact in the judicial codex that is in use in the region even today. The Rimbaldi family established a temple for Aldamar in Raedis when Katya was only 4 years of age and the temple is now being run by Katya's brother Aloesius Rimbaldi while Katya continues in the service of Aldamar as an adventuring champion.

The temple was erected just south of the main river flowing thru Raedis in the area of the city that is now considered being the central district of Raedis. It burned down shortly after by an unidentified arsonist, but the Rimbaldi family did not give up and built another just like the original. The arson may have turned against the arsonist's plans since the good priest received the sympathies of the townsfolks who in turn participated in the temple's building - both by providing goods and labor. Nowadays the temple serves as Raedis' official courthouse as well as being a shrine of Aldamar.

Katya was very much exposed with the religion beginning from her infancy and it was thus not a big surprise for her to adopt the religion as her own too. Katya spent many years of her adolescense studying judicial principles and justice systems in the University of Akron (located in the city state of Akron). Meanwhile her brother took over the daily runnings of the temple while their father retired due to worsening health issues that eventually brought the good man down and killed him. Katya was more of a "hands-on" kind of type anyway and considered the temple more of a burden than a gift so it was a relief to her when Aloesius took the duties of running the temple.

Katya is now involved in resolving several ongoing legal disputes between merchant families, noble families of the city states and whatnot. Some of these disputes are political, some judicial and some have escalated into violence as well. She participates in many kinds of activies that are justifiable in the interest of serving Aldamar's vision of justice. She is currently trying to locate a known contract killer who assasinated Baron Telisius' daughter Emerald only few months ago. If she succeeds and the murderer is either killed in the process or brought into justice, Baron Telisius pays a considerable fee to Aldamar's temple.

Katya has a bit of a temper and has a tendency to verbally lash out when aggravated. On the other hand she has a burning passion for "righting the wrong" and her dedication gives her tremendous toughness and sheer willpower even when things look grim and tracks appear cold and dead.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_031.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_031.png

Redrobes
11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Love it... love it... love it...

And in this scene (...A smashing scene with some lovely acting...) Katya, far from home, uses her agility to flank and kick some royal lizard butt....

Kimmo, what do you use to make the characters - poser ? What does poser use as a 3D object format and what are you always looking out for ?

RPMiller
11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Yes, he uses Poser. Poser can handle several different object formats, but typically it likes .obj files over other types.

Redrobes
11-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Cool, well .obj is good. I like that one too cos its in text format. Well, if Kimmo needs heads or unusual stuff then I might be able to get something up together now.

12rounds
11-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Kimmo, what do you use to make the characters - poser ? What does poser use as a 3D object format and what are you always looking out for ?
Wavefront obj-file is the preferred format. For example that Aldamar's sword in Katya's hand ... I outlined it in Inkscape from a svg file I made for the Aldamar's logo, exported as vector .ai file, imported into Wings3D, worked into a decent enough object, tesselated (polys to quads; Poser hates triangular polygons) and material zoned, exported as wavefront obj file, imported into Poser. All this in Ubuntu Linux.

EDIT: oh and by the way ... a dead lizard-man and one of Krull's mercenaries is coming up next :D

Steel General
11-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Continued excellence... love the sword!

Redrobes
11-21-2008, 12:29 PM
by the way ... a dead lizard-man and one of Krull's mercenaries is coming up next :Dtotally cool.

I have a 3D object laser scanner so theres some stuff I can get into 3D which is kinda hard any other way so if you have anything that your looking for which is kinda hard to model or you dont have then let me know.

I have an alternative lizardman head which I can get for you too. Ill edit in here it as a zip in a while :)

12rounds
11-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I have a 3D object laser scanner ...
I wish I had one too!

I have an alternative lizardman head which I can get for you too. Ill edit in here it as a zip in a while :)
So you have a 3D scanner and a lizardman head model ... so ... adding one to one ... scan the rest of the lizzie as well then! :D

---

I might be able to use a lizzie head model - not sure until I see it.

Redrobes
11-21-2008, 12:59 PM
... scan the rest of the lizzie as well then! :DI sculpted the head from clay - its not really all that great being the product of my hands ;) But here is a zip of it

I'd do the body if I had a spare lizard man body in the closet !

See what you can do with it. Hope its of some use.

12rounds
11-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I can instantly see a use: a totem-like top for the lizzie "standing stones" that they use for religious (read: human sacrifice!) rituals.

Redrobes
11-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Great - yeah would be good. I turned him into a lizardman skull mug for quills... Hes a trooper this head y'know. :D

Steel General
11-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Always good to be multi-talented. :D

12rounds
11-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Tomas Januck is one of Captain Krull's long-term friends and fellow mercenary under Krull's command. Tomas is a huge pile of a man, weighing in at 250lbs. and reaching almost 6'10" into the heavens. He joined Krull and his mercenary band a decade ago only a week after his former employer was murdered. He used to be one of the personal guards of duke William Fenridge, the ruler of the city of Thrub before the lord died as a victim of vicious poisoning. The city was quickly taken over by it's current ruler duke Samuel Trebuc and about a hundred of the former duke's advisors, family members, associates and guards fled the city literally in one night. They rightfully feared for their life.

Tomas had befriended Krull long before joining Krull's band since he had ran mercenary errands for the former duke and had thus acquinted Krull's group. Krull himself asked Tomas whether he would like to join the group which is a rare enough occasion and Tomas replied with a grunt reminescent of a "yeah".

The bull-like man has abandoned most of his former fancy equipment and style. The swampy areas and rivers are less than ideal for heavy armored troops. Tomas relies on his bulking physics and thus far this has been enough to keep him unharmed. In fact Tomas is a very good and fast swimmer so it's only natural for him to go about his duties without heavy load from equipment. He doesn't speak much and has a very calm and stout - even Spartan - feel about him. He hasn't forgotten duke Fenridge's assassination and in fact lost some good friends that bloody night. Krull's band have been taking jobs from the new duke of Thrub, but Krull has given Tomas the option to deattach from the group while helping duke Fenridge or his associates. Tomas has done so and pretty much disapperared into the swamps alone for weeks or months even without leaving a trace. He probably just sits out his bad moods alone somewhere, but since he's reluctant to speak out about his comings and goings, no one is certain.
### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_030.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_030.png
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_030_2.png
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_030_3.png

Separate tokens for Tomas and for a dead lizard man. And a combined token for convenience.

industrygothica
11-24-2008, 09:49 AM
That's great! Reminds me of one of the quiet psychos from a movie like House of 1000 Corpses or something.

Redrobes
11-24-2008, 02:20 PM
More of Krulls band leap down to the shore as the lead mercenaries start dicing the lizard men up. Things aren't looking so good for them and the necromancer unleashes a lighting bolt at the lead hitting his own size in the process. Katya moves around flanking the lizard cavalry making room for Tomas to move in and recover trophies for their bounty. Amrod gets his spell off aiming for the Shaman who's courage is now failing him. Tyla moves up on deck and peeps her head over the ships balcony to get a better view. Raedis is making one last chance to bet with Aldamar but its no use. The battle is almost over and he doesn't need the money. His mind is thinking of just how to get Krulls band to work for him.

:)

12rounds
11-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Regular sea-travel routes from Readis to Irontown are used mainly by the different Akronian merchant families who exchange goods from Akron to finely creafted steel and iron items from the many blacksmiths dotting Irontown.

Bazo Durduum originates from Irontown and is the eldest son of a rather famed blacksmith, Mororil Durduum. Bazo took upon his father's trade as well, but soon discovered that he isn't going to top his father's skills. Instead of practising and trying harder, he gave up after being a professional weapons-smith for 5 years. Bazo took many odd jobs that gradually guided him towards more shady and dangerous careers. Two years afterwards he found himself working for a local crime lord Gilgen Bnore. Bazo ran several operations for Gilgen including smuggling operations, robbery and such. His father and brothers saw the direction Bazo was going and forced him to move out of Irontown to avoid Gilgen and his crew. Bazo sailed to Raedis and quickly found good job opportunities there.

A decade has passed in Raedis and Bazo is pretty much a leading character in the local dwarven community. He does well-paying odd-jobs for the Alleuri merchant family as an evaluer of dwarven goods. He gives the merchant family representatives advise on the quality of steel-goods. His specialty is - of course - dwarven-made weapons and his expertise and accuracy in estimating price ranges is a valued gift. Otherwise he works in the Raedis docks as a foreman or travels in the southern Akron.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/combat_021.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/top_combat_021.png

Redrobes
11-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow, another one ! I can hardly keep up.

This ones great too. In fact I think its my fav so far. Don't know why exactly but its the rusty browns and interesting mustache / beard.

Its really great you doing these Kimmo. You have the skill and the technique totally sorted. I find doing these sorts of tokens really hard work - and your doing them in 3D too.

12rounds
11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Another necromancer of The Cult of the Black Flame.

This guy draws his dark energy from The Plague. He is on his way of becoming a Lich.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/magicians/magic_030.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/magicians/top_magic_030.png

Arkkeeper
12-04-2008, 11:02 AM
U U U ME ME ME PICK ME!!! I wanna help!!!

My first suggestion with Inhabitants is MAKE MAGIC SIMPLE. Try to keep it like Fable 2 Magic (And if you haven't gotten Fable 2 yet GET IT NOW!). Magic always gets way too complicated in collab projects. when it's one person they can easily keep control over it but with lots of people with lots of ideas it's vary far out of hand very fast.

industrygothica
12-05-2008, 04:59 PM
U U U ME ME ME PICK ME!!! I wanna help!!!

My first suggestion with Inhabitants is MAKE MAGIC SIMPLE. Try to keep it like Fable 2 Magic (And if you haven't gotten Fable 2 yet GET IT NOW!). Magic always gets way too complicated in collab projects. when it's one person they can easily keep control over it but with lots of people with lots of ideas it's vary far out of hand very fast.

I think we've pretty much decided to keep this project as system agnostic as possible, leaving rules for things like magic in the hands of whoever is playing in the world. We're just providing the flavor.

-IG

Valarian
12-05-2008, 05:03 PM
... or the maps.

12Rounds' illustrations do add a lot of flavour to the world beyond just the geography. We've got the starts of plot hooks and stories here in this thread.

Redrobes
12-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah, you can never have enough undead, skeletons and lich's to get your party cowering in the alcoves. Great stuff as always.

12rounds
12-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Kate Fendale was born and raised in the City of Akron. Her early life was dominated by her mother's affairs with several members of faculty of Akron University. Her father was a teacher at the University up until he died of a heart failure when Kate was merely 6. Her mother somehow fell apart mentally and started a decade-long binge of drunkenness and sexual affairs which eventually took her to her early grave. The family was well-off financially, but since not a single coin was coming in anymore, the wealth started to melt gradually.

When Kate was 14, she and her mother were practically broke and her mother was seriously ill from impending liver failure. Kate was pretty much forced to deal with the situation, but her means were very limited. She had, however, years of practice on how to sneak around quietly and hide in the shadows due to her mother's abusiveness when she was drunk. Kate used her skills succesfully as a shop-lifter, but soon graduated into full-blown thievery. She was amazed at how easy it was to gain wealth this way and focused her efforts on the university faculty - simply out of spite and hatred for them. When Kate's mother died, she had enough money to pay for her funeral - in which she was the only attendee. She was only 16, but competent enough to make a splash in the criminal circles of Akron.

At the age of 24 Kate was already a hard-core member of the thieves' guild of Akron and was severely entangled with complex inter-guild rope-pulling and power politics. She decided it was time to let things cool down a bit. The next 5 years Kate travelled around Akron and made acquintances with other thieves in every city she travelled into. Finally she stayed in Raedis only two years ago and started working as a information gather specialist regarding trade routes. She has the capabilities to sneak into locked warehouses, sniff around a bit and report her findings to whoever pays her the most. Such skill sets as Kate has are highly sought after by other thieves but also by rivalling merchants who want to gain an edge against the other families.

Kate has little tolerance for complex plans and rather goes by her wits. This mindset is especially dangerous when it comes to thievery and burglary, but so far Kate has never been caught - although she has been suspected of such activities several times. Kate has mood swings, a temperament and a general loathing of intoxicants. She hates pubs, inns, taverns and public festivities with equal fervor since they all tend to send her to an emotional rollercoaster back into her childhood and right into middle of violent drunkenness.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_032.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_032.png

Steel General
12-07-2008, 10:00 AM
More great work 12Rounds...

ravells
12-07-2008, 01:02 PM
I love the expression on her face. Her eyeline suggests an adversary much bigger than herself and her mouth says, 'this is going to be a tough fight - how do I think my way past this one?' Great work!

Valarian
12-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Excellent work again, and many thanks for another fleshing out of the Akron region.

Ghostman
12-08-2008, 09:47 AM
I get this terrible impression that she's sporting a moustache stubble. Just can't convince my eyes to not see it :?

12rounds
12-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Okies ... I wasn't suppose to make any images this week. In fact I was supposed to be attending one of the world's biggest conference for Java and web developers in Belgium with a coworker. For the whole week including weekends. But our superiors decided - a whopping 36 hours before the flight - that there's too much work to be done and deadlines to meet so our attendance was cancelled. Grr...

So to fight off negative feelings I concentrated on an image and made Lord Weers - the current ruler of Port Magalie (The Withclight Strand). I think in the previous image I used too much black shadowing and wanted to tone down using shadows a bit. I wasn't in the mood for making a token of Lord Weers, but since he's obviously a non-combatant, there's probably little point in having a token anyway.

Oh and credits to industrygothica since he made The Witchlight Strand map. Observe that it's being used in this image as Lord Weers is checking out the region.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_033.jpg

industrygothica
12-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Hmm.. now what could be the reason why he's studying that map so intently?

Excellent work, of course. Wouldn't mind seeing more of that building he's in. ;)

And I especially like that you've updated the wiki (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Lord_Weers) to go along with it!

-IG

RPMiller
12-10-2008, 10:59 AM
There is a tutorial up at Renderosity for creating cartoon renders. I'm curious how close it is to your technique.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/index.php?tutorial_id=2139

12rounds
12-11-2008, 01:57 AM
@RPMiller: that technique (variation of the z-tooning technique) is not what I use. I usually have one to two infinite lights and the tooning effects come thru shader nodes. There exists ways in shader nodes to limit tonal values to quadritonal, tritonal and bitonal. That z-tooning technique does not easily give out, f.ex. tritonal toons. Personally I like tritonal or smoothed images with strong blacklining. That technique in that article does not, I believe, give any easy way to produce contour outlines in bw. I always make at least two renders - one of which is a pure black/white render with outlines and contour lines only. Then in post-work I combine them. I tried z-tooning techniques years ago and was never able to produce results that I like. The major problems were detail loss in textures, lack of defined lines that separate objects and lack of ability to set tonal values in steps. Now with shaders I can control the outcome on material zone level. With IBL lightning z-tooning all I can control is the harshness of overall outcome. Not good enough for me.

RPMiller
12-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Still won't share your technique eh? ;)

12rounds
12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Well there isn't anything concrete to share really. There is no magic button that makes the images appear like that. I use Olivier's shaders as the basis of my shaders, but more often than not they need to be tweaked, omitted or changed quite a bit.

I got a very simple example. Let's take the skeleton warrior 10 or so pages down the road. Alongside the final result here is a render of the skeleton and a render of the same skeleton in black and white. Those two renders where the end of the line in 3D for me with this skeleton - the final result is achieved thru 2D work. In Photoshop I blend all the render layers and paint/draw/filter/smooth/darken/lighten to go where I want I to go. In the case of the skeleton I ended up painting the shredded clothing on the skelly.

In a contrary vein, the Lord Weers character above needed more complex shaders so as not to kill off texture details from the map. In that image I also wanted the shirt to retain a look of expensive fabric so I opted to change the shaders in a way that go thru all the whole tonal range of the underlying texture instead of cut it down into tritonal steps. Cutting the tonal ranges to steps would have meant that I would have lost the remnants of the textural details that remain in the final image.

Redrobes
12-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Took me a while to find out what Oliviers toon shaders were so I thought id post the link here.

http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=2139&vendor=Olivier

I don't know Poser so cant add to the discussion on them but it seems like pretty standard (if thorough) set of toon shaders. I ought to try and see what I can get out of blender. I dont think I would ever be able to make the art like what you have done tho even with all the tools and shaders at my disposal. What I lack is a +5 Hand of Drawing.

RPMiller
12-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Well there isn't anything concrete to share really. There is no magic button that makes the images appear like that. I use Olivier's shaders as the basis of my shaders, but more often than not they need to be tweaked, omitted or changed quite a bit.

I got a very simple example. Let's take the skeleton warrior 10 or so pages down the road. Alongside the final result here is a render of the skeleton and a render of the same skeleton in black and white. Those two renders where the end of the line in 3D for me with this skeleton - the final result is achieved thru 2D work. In Photoshop I blend all the render layers and paint/draw/filter/smooth/darken/lighten to go where I want I to go. In the case of the skeleton I ended up painting the shredded clothing on the skelly.

In a contrary vein, the Lord Weers character above needed more complex shaders so as not to kill off texture details from the map. In that image I also wanted the shirt to retain a look of expensive fabric so I opted to change the shaders in a way that go thru all the whole tonal range of the underlying texture instead of cut it down into tritonal steps. Cutting the tonal ranges to steps would have meant that I would have lost the remnants of the textural details that remain in the final image.
Ah! Very good! I believe I have those shaders. I seem to recall picking them up a while back for making a comic book for my Champions group, but alas they group decided to switch to a different system and so I never did the comic. I'll have to take a look at them after the semester ends.

Any tips on specifically which shaders you are using and any node tweaks? If I could get close to your settings perhaps I could help you with at least providing you with 2d artwork to make all pretty and stuff. I have a huge collection of models purchased or found for free that I've amassed over the years.

Redrobes
12-11-2008, 12:51 PM
I think I am a bit off the pace here. I dont know Blender well enough to make it do what I want. I am sure somebody could do better than this with it tho. Anyway, I have no intention of pursuing this - ill leave it to better skilled people.

Edit -- Theres more options that I didnt know about. Second one a little better I think. Sorta getting there.

12rounds
12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Any tips on specifically which shaders you are using and any node tweaks?

For organic models - like humans and animals and monsters - my first choice nowadays is the tritone shader (textured variant; keeps the underlying texture). I simplify the settings negating reflection nodes, toning down or disengaging specularity and sometimes killing off displacements and bumps. On other occasions I specifically put noise on bump channel. I use coarse line values between 0.5 and 0.7 and fine line values between 0.5 and 0.7 as well. F.ex. the thief/rogue woman on page 13 was done with coarse line and fine line values of 0.68 (too much - I would lessen the shader impact if I was making the image now). One white infinite light with intensity values of 125-140% is usually adequate (since most of the lightning comes from ambient channels) for my needs, but sometimes I use a second light for more dramatic effect. Light placement has an impact as well. For the main body of my illustrations I go for placing the light close to main camera.

I have no fixed settings - the settings live between images and it is common to turn off shaders altogether sometimes or to do a final render with different shaders on certain material zones. A common trick is also to lessen the impact of texture by 25-45% and set a diffuse color close to a average tonal value of the texture.

When I'm done, I do the same thing with a dual-tone shader and select the low backlight variant of the black/white shader. It gets me the b/w outlines. That render doesn't actually need to be very good since it's pretty easy to just draw missing lines in postwork.

I almost exclusively use P4 renderer disabling bump maps and shadows. At times I also make a firefly render with high AO levels and then do a slight overlay of that render on top of other layers in postwork - it gives nice soft shadows on armpits, creases etc.

Then again, on architectural models Olivier's shaders don't really work that good. Same goes for organic items with lots of alpha-mapped planes (like trees with leaves). When doing those, I resort to other means.

If I could get close to your settings perhaps I could help you with at least providing you with 2d artwork to make all pretty and stuff.

That would actually be pretty nice since I mostly find myself liking the postwork part of the process best. At times the 3d part gets boring - especially when dealing with Poser quirks.

Here's an example of a scene from around a month ago. I'm still not happy with it (ie. this is not going to be final version), but this has a totally different approach than when making humans (shader-wise, that is).

RPMiller
12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Excellent info. I will have to get in there and play around them. I own Poser 4,5,6, and 7, but currently only have 7 installed so I'll have to look at the P4 renderer which I rarely use since moving to 7.

Over the next few weeks, I'll try to get a few sample renders banged out and you can help me get pointed in the right direction regarding the nodes. Their flexibility tends to be their most frustrating aspect and without a full understanding of some of them I tend to get hit or miss results especially where the math nodes are concerned.

12rounds
12-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Sorta getting there.
Yup. But it's still missing the "human factor".

Just like in the music industry there exists separate (and also expensive!) software packages solely for the purpose of breaking the computer-generated sound. Adding a barely audible click, putting a hint of a dissonance on the middle-range of saxophone, doing delicate 1/128th tempo shifts on drums (making it sound like the drummer is actually playing very good, but not like a machine), tiny variations of volume levels within a short time period etc.

I believe the same applies to visual arts as well. Adding a ragged sketchy line here and another there are very powerful and underused means in digital visual arts. Also many digital artist purists want to show very complex textures in their full glory. I on the other hand believe that showing only a tiny fraction of a texture detail is enough to convey the viewer the idea that the whole thing in real life would have that same texture (like the shirt on Lord Weer's - the highlighted portions of the shirt's sleeves hint that the fabric has a nice and rich texturing, but to actually SHOW the whole shirt with that texture would make the image just look like a rendering).

12rounds
12-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Excellent info. I will have to get in there and play around them. I own Poser 4,5,6, and 7, but currently only have 7 installed so I'll have to look at the P4 renderer which I rarely use since moving to 7.

Same as me. I too only have P7 installed anymore and use that exclusively. In practice I've found that for some reason the P4 renderer gives more clarity and crispiness compared to firefly especially when used with tone shader nodes. I'm not sure why, but I believe that firefly renderer somehow overcompensates the shader effects (ie. it applies too much anti-aliasing on black lines eventhough the user actually means to have those lines in the first place).

Steel General
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
For those of us who can't quite afford Poser, will those shaders work in DAZ Studio?

I suppose I could go look for myself, but I'm a bit lazy :D

12rounds
12-11-2008, 02:53 PM
For those of us who can't quite afford Poser, will those shaders work in DAZ Studio?

No they wont. D|S has it's own shader system (but it costs mucho yens).

Poser is dirt cheap at the moment (P6 goes for $29,99 and P7 for $99,99).
http://www.contentparadise.com

Steel General
12-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Wow! The price has really dropped, too bad I went broke buying my wife's Christmas presents. :)

RPMiller
12-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Wow! The price has really dropped, too bad I went broke buying my wife's Christmas presents. :)
So tell her what you want for Christmas. ;)

12rounds
12-21-2008, 12:51 PM
William McCraig has been the harbormaster for 5 years now. His position is one of the most important ones in the city of Port Magalie. The harbor is at the heart of survival when it comes to maintaining the life-style that Port Magalie's citizens have adopted. Sure there are land-routes, but the ever threatening presence of orc and goblin tribes practically make steady land-bound trade routes commercially unviable. The sea routes on the other hand are quite the opposite. Hence Port Magalie's harbor forms the biggest and most bustling section of the city - and at the heart of all this is the harbormaster.

Nothing happens in the harbor without William knowing it. He does have 2 deputy harbormasters working evenings and nights, but even then William is usually kept in the loop as to what is happening. He knows all the captains , their vices and their loyalties, their cons and pros. He knows who owns which warehouse and he knows when ships are due to sail in and out.

William is not a sea-farer himself. In fact he has a tendency for sea-sickness and doesn't have the longing for open sea that drives many of the captains and ship crews out there. Should he have that yearning in his heart, it would be doubtful he'd still be land bound seeing the ships come in and go out on a daily basis. What he has, on the other hand, is an extraordinary gift for organising and multi-tasking several jobs simultaneously. This gift of his is a natural pre-requisite for anyone wishing to run a busy harbor so it can be reasonably argued that William is the right man for the job of harbormaster.

William McCraig is already pushing over 35 years, but surprisingly his face, demeanor and personality are in contradiction to his physical age. He is generally thought as a decade younger than what he actually is. Both a blessing and a curse really. At times newcomers express doubts that how come the port city's main function is run by a teenager. Once they see how well things are organised and maintained, they usually see the error in their attitude. William is also quite the busy bee when it comes to dealings with the opposite sex. He has not yet found his true love despite his efforts to find one.

William has been connected with several wealthy and powerful families via sexual adventures, but so far his important and visible position has protected him against the wrath of angered fathers (and a couple of husbands too!). He is physically in very good shape and strong as an ox. This is due to the fact that he actually still takes part of the heavier duties that the harbor has to offer it's workers. He is very well liked among the harbor workers, but less so by some civil servants who consider that a man in his position should not be so friendly with his employees. In fact there has been several instances when William's errors in running the harbor have been used against him in an effort to shove him out of his job. So far those efforts have failed miserably simply because he almost single-handedly keeps the harbor operational and everyone knows that replacing William would have an adverse effect on how the harbor operates.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_034.jpg

12rounds
12-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Don Claudio Argnetti is one of the respected teachers in the University of Akron (situated in the city state of Akron). Don Argnetti is a chief judge in the city state and also holds numerous other vacancies within the judicial system in the nearby regions. Don Argnetti is one of the 12 high priests of The Holy Order of Justice and Don Argnetti's responsibilities cover the entire area of Akron and then some. The Holy Order of Justice is a loose counsil of respected followers of Aldamar and their purpose is to supervise and guide both secular rulers and Aldamar's servants in matters that concern dealing justice. In practice their opinion is asked first when new positions are being implemented within an existing judicial system or new persons are being proposed into important and visible positions. In theory secular rulers have no obligation to obey since there are no laws that give the high priests any official jurisdiction. However, their power is often entangled and entwined with the society at large and ignoring their opinions has proven to be a bad idea.

Don Argnetti's duties at the university includes regular lectures in different aspects of how laws are created and upheld. He also has about a dozen promising younger Aldamar's servants under his tutorage. This mentoring has proven a good practise because it gives Don Argnetti a good perspective of where the young generation is standing in his field of speciality. And of course it pays well. A two-year long tutoring program costs an average peasant's net income for 10 years.

Don Argnetti is a visible personality in Akron and he likes to bask in the spot lights. He is a very articulate and verbally acrobatic debater and has somewhat famous for setting logic traps when debating and then exploding them just at the right time in order to win debates. He likes mental challenges, but this is probably also a compensation for his weak body. Don Argnetti has suffered from ill health for most of his life and his bad back prevents from doing any kind of strenuous physical activities which in turn is making his body even worse. At the age of 55 years, Don Argnetti is still full of new ideas in his field of expertise and he still sees much need for improvement in the surrounding world. His liberal thinking and progressive attitude has gained him opposition over the years as well primarily from those who get benefits from a stagnated and stale society.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_035.jpg

Steel General
12-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Keep 'em coming! Love the way you've expanded on the whole ethos/organization of the church of Aldamar.

ravells
12-25-2008, 08:01 PM
This is such great stuff! Thank you for posting 12Rounds!!

Redrobes
12-26-2008, 07:40 AM
This chap is really good. I especially like the detailing in the face. Any chance of a top down mini for this one ? Nice back story for him too. Lets see if I have enough rep bashing ability left.

12rounds
12-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Any chance of a top down mini for this one ?
Sorry, no. I rather move onwards. Besides this guy is a scholar and so it would be rare to encounter him in a conflict situation.

==============

Beslan The White is a leader of a band of Red Hoof Centaurs positioned in the Red Hoof forest very near Irontown. Their job is to put pressure on the dwarves so that the "little bearded people" know that centaur tribes need to be taken seriously. Beslan is a double rarity among the centaurs. Firstly he is an albino centaur and secondly he is an albino centaur who has been able to gain power in his tribe. Beslan was born on the northern shores of Moonlight Meres which is the only known location where albino centaurs born. Centaurs themselves estimate that about a total of 20 albino centaurs are alive today and every one of them was born on the shores of Moonlight Meres. Many of the albinos are outcasts living as hermits, but a few have had enough confidence and health to advance in their tribe. Beslan has had the advantage of fiercely colored hair and mane which has had a great impact on the Red Hoofs accepting him as one of their own.

Beslan is utterly devoted and takes his duties very seriously. He is not likely to bail out on even the toughest of situations and a few of his underlings have gained lots of courage and sheer fierceness just by serving under him. His devotion is one of the reasons he has been positioned where he is now. Centaur tribal elders know that they need centaurs like Beslan to keep the dwarves at bay. Beslan's pack is comprised of 12 male centaurs all of whom are trained as light cavalry soldiers. They are rarely all located in one place. Their travelling speed makes it easy for the centaur packs to separate into smaller patrolling units and later on gather together for short periods for briefing and debriefing. The unit is mostly just there to maintain a presence just on the outskirts of dwarven territory and one of their orders is to actually let the dwarves know they are there - by any means necessary that do not violate the contracts between the Red Hoofs and dwarves of the Irontown.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_036.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_036.png

ravells
12-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Brilliant I hope the CWBP editors are posting these pictures and the descriptions on the Wiki!

12rounds
12-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks. Actually I've been posting and making editings in the Wiki myself. As time permits.

Gamerprinter
12-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I am curious to see what you'd create for a mongol-influenced slavic vampire, the Boyar-Prince Casimir Darkov of Darkovia. Perhaps some of the arabic merchant princes of Calishem as well - all within the Khanate of Qashya Mal. Far to the east of the rest of Ansium. Calishem is the crossroads between east and west.

GP

12rounds
12-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I've no idea what Casimir Darkov is supposed to be like (what age, demeanor, attitude, etc). Wihout any knowledge about Casimir Darkov, this is something that I came up with. Perhaps it's not what Gamerprinter envisioned and if so, I'm sure we can fit this guy into CWBP somewhere anyway. I didn't want him to be showing his vampiric teeth - it's such a cliche having all the vampires do that.

I'm sure Gamerprinter has some background to fill on Casimir, so I'm not making up any stories about him.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_037.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_037.png

Steel General
12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Very, very cool!

Midgardsormr
12-28-2008, 05:55 PM
He looks a lot like how I'd imagined him.

Redrobes
12-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Wow - both the centaur and guy are very cool as always. I like the back stories to all these characters too. I just wanna get playing with them right away.

ravells
12-28-2008, 09:10 PM
12 rounds....you just rock!

Gamerprinter
12-29-2008, 02:45 AM
I've no idea what Casimir Darkov is supposed to be like (what age, demeanor, attitude, etc). Wihout any knowledge about Casimir Darkov, this is something that I came up with. Perhaps it's not what Gamerprinter envisioned and if so, I'm sure we can fit this guy into CWBP somewhere anyway. I didn't want him to be showing his vampiric teeth - it's such a cliche having all the vampires do that.

I'm sure Gamerprinter has some background to fill on Casimir, so I'm not making up any stories about him.

He's perfect. Everything I have to say about Casimir is already in the Wiki. Any stories that fit the basic premise set there is fine with me.

Well done! That's better than I imagined him to be! :D

GP

12rounds
01-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Race: Elf
Name: Coroth Orlethym

Coroth is one of the many elves of Liaglades whose sole purpose is to protect the fabled city of Laradell from outsiders. All the members of the house of Orlethym serve the same purpose and there are also other houses dedicated to the same duty, but from a different perspective. Orlethym elves are ground-based scouts and trained footsoldiers. Their area of responsibility is modestly the whole Liglades forest itself. Coroth is part of a group of seven blood-bound elven scouts constantly on the move somewhere in the forest. All the members of Coroth's group are related to each other and their bond is further enhanced by a sort of non-verbal communication akin to telepathy that is impossible for outsiders to understand. It is not uncommon for strangers to encounter House Orlethym patrols only to find that they have been quietly and efficiently surrounded.

The scouts have a primary objective to keep the Liaglades forest free from outside influence, but their methods are primarily non-violent unless the situation warrants it. Therefore outsiders are merely gently but sternly escorted out of the Liaglades forest and violent activity comes only after the trespassers have refused to obey the elven patrollers. The elves of Liaglades do not allow even passing trade routes to go thru Liaglades and hence most of the forest remains unpenetrable and hostile to non-elves.

Coroth is an elven male well beyond 300 years (some consider him still to be adolescent) with an experience patrolling the Liaglades passing 100 years. He therefore knows the ins and outs of the forest. On the other hand, his duties has prevented him from travelling outside the forest and like many of his brethren, the only things he knows of the outside world are the stories that more adventuring-oriented elves bring with them.

Coroth was born in the heart of the legendary city of Laradell. He was adopted to House Orlethym at the age of 20 much and his biological parents were proud to see their son enter the Orlethym house. Coroth has focused his training mostly on scouting skills and has not trained combat skill much. His weapon of choice is a long-bladed elven fighting spear and his skills with other weaponry are rather weak - considering his profession, of course. However, it is not uncommon to see Coroth just simply disappear into the woods and moments later realise he and his spear are right behind you. Coroth visited Laradell last year spending a month in the city attending several festivities. He does not have any descendants or a wife waiting for him, but that is a common feature within the tradition of the Orlethym house. Coroth is proud of his ancestry and considers his race and origins to be superior compared to anything else in existence.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_038.jpg

http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/top_travel_038.png

Redrobes
01-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Cool - Always love it when an "Inhabitants of the world..." lands in my inbox. Nice character again.

Hey, do you realize that with your centaur model you can now double a few of them up - the ones with legs astride :) Ok so centaur are not known for their grace at carrying lesser races on their backs but its cool to be able to expand the usage. How easy would it be to do a straight up horse ;)

jfrazierjr
01-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Cool - Always love it when an "Inhabitants of the world..." lands in my inbox. Nice character again.

I agree 100%! When a new token and portrait shows up in this thread, it is the highlight of my day.

industrygothica
01-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I enjoy the portraits as much as everyone else, but, imho, it is the descriptive backstory that goes along with them that really seals the deal.

For instance, in the description above--I envisioned the city of Laradell to be sort of a mobile treetop city; it's best defense is that it's never in the same place for any length of time.

12rounds's description of these Guardians of Laradell (for a lack of a more appropriate term) expands perfectly on this theme, as they can act both as scouts and defenders; finding a new location, securing it, and routing would-be intruders around around it, be it by stealth and deception or outright violence, if need be. I'd think these guys would have plenty of practice at being the source of the "things that go bump in the night," convincing people to leave the area and not return without ever making themselves known.

There's great inspiration here, as well as an abundance of artistic talent. Thank you, 12rounds!

-IG

Steel General
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Well said!

12rounds
01-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Thank you all for your kind words! I really appreciate it.
I've been extremely busy at my work for the last couple of weeks and it's not going to easy up in weeks too. So the frequency of new illustrations is gonna have to bend for now.

Race: Human (undead, vampire)
Name: Lady Ljudmila Vorasena

One of the aides, subordinates or underlings of Casimir Darkov. Lady Vorasena is beautiful, mysterious and rather restrained. Her looks betray her real age and experience because of her vampirism. She is more of the quiet type - you know the kind of type that proves most deadly when the time is right.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/magicians/magic_031.jpg
Sorry, no token for her.

Steel General
01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Very nice, very nice indeed.

I can just picture her seducing some unsuspecting nobleman and slowly draining him dry.

Redrobes
01-18-2009, 02:49 PM
I can just picture her seducing some unsuspecting nobleman and slowly draining him dry.I was just picturing her doing something like that to me...

Very nice Kimmo. Hope you find more time later on to do some more.

Gandwarf
01-18-2009, 03:21 PM
12rounds, your illustrations our fabulous. I really like the last one, but they are all very good. Repped!

12rounds
01-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Name: Liam Hobbgobble
Race: Halfling

A hunter and a tracker, Liam is an experienced halfling ranger. Need to find anything (or anyone) in Witchlight Strand? Liam is the man to hire for the job. Except when it comes to urban environs. Liam Hobbgobble hasn't actually traveled much at all, but instead prefers the halfling lands above all. But he is adventurous enough to readily agree on tracking and scouting jobs offered to him. His tiny physique is contrasted by a hearty and frequent bellowing laughter as the man is somewhat of a walking tome of jokes and funny anecdotes. He has a joke for every occasion and a cunning ability to remember which ones he has told already in the present company so he doesn't even repeat himself.

Apart from Liam's exceptional skills as a tracker and a rabbit hunter, he has become quite famous for his luck - or skill as he himself likes to express it. He has literally dozens of stories of narrow escapes, avoided deadly traps, deflected assassin's arrows, lucky stumbling strides over covered pitfalls and the sort. If one can imagine a perilous situation, chances are good that Liam has avoided a similar peril by sheer luck. Certainly it does appear as if Liam has the favor of gods on his side, but part of the legend actually comes from the fact that Liam is very perceptive and has quite good reflexes. Certainly it helps.

Liam Hobbgobble doesn't particularly enjoy killing per se, but he does get a kick out of the thrill of hunting. He can stay on the tracks of a rabbit for hours if he so chooses, but more often than not he just gives up the chase after gaining a glimpse of his target - unless of course the kill needs to be made for reasons of survival. Liam is equally adept in tracking on the hills as he is in the forests and his services are frequently sought after by well-known and powerful individuals throughout the Withclight Strand.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/travel/travel_039.jpg
I did make a token of Liam, but it ended up quite bad looking so I'm not uploading it at this time.

Redrobes
01-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Cool. I bet Liam had some taunts about his name in school...

industrygothica
01-21-2009, 07:57 AM
To be honest with you, Liam is not my favorite piece of work that you've done in comparison with your other pieces. His description, however, is a fabulous start at fleshing out the inhabitants of Callie's Thicket (which is quickly becoming one of my favorite areas of the Witchlight Strand).

On a side note, if you look at this thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2526&page=2) (particularly post #19), you might find mention of yourself. ;)

-IG

12rounds
01-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Name: Sir Alberto Goren
Race: Human

Sir Goren has devoted his life to service Valan, one of the lesser deities that manifest themselves in Ansium. As Valan's paladin, Sir Goren has sworn to uphold many ideals that he himself can relate to. It took Sir Goren quite some time to found his true calling though, as he served in the armed forces in his youth and later found meaning in the teachings of Aldamar. Within 5 years he found himself not capable of forwarding Aldamar's cause anymore and effectively jumped to serve Valan. The reasons of why this happened remain shrouded in silence. It is certain, however, that Sir Goren fell into political disputes with several members of Aldamar's following - up and including a powerful and possibly corrupt bishop. The details of these events are not public and remain the knowledge of only the participants. Whatever happened, it rippled thru Aldamar's church as well as Valan's following and had a negative impact on the relationship of these two religious groups. It's been 8 years and still Sir Goren is a persona non grata on Aldamar-controlled areas.

Sir Goren attained nobility thru deeds done in the service of Valan. He has been enjoying his knightship for 3 years now. Secular rulers generally do not accept Valan's paladins as nobles since they have not attained knighthood in the service of their liege lords. Still, sir Goren's reputation is such that he is treated like a noble knight.

Sir Goren is a man of burning devotion and kind soul. He feels it is his duty to uphold the rights of the poor, weak and oppressed even if it puts him in grave danger or makes an unwanted person politically. His devotion is, however, handicapping his possibilities to raise his profile in the church of Valan, but he is still too young to understand that every bridge burned down only serve to isolate him eventually. Nevertheless, Ansium desperately need people like Sir Goren who sacrifice their time, health and money in righting the many wrongs the world is filled with.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/combat_023.jpg

http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/top_combat_023.png

I didn't know what land/city to place Sir Goren. Suggestions?

Redrobes
01-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Love this one - instantly recognizable and has a good pose which will allow additions such as a shield etc.

He could anywhere where there are big castles and some of the bigger cities I would think.

Nicely done tho always like these posts.

EDIT -- I have just realized he's another character that can sit on a horse pretty well. Oh you should do a war horse with some light barding.

Steel General
01-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Another great job 12Rounds!

I love seeing some of the other deities 'come into play'.

industrygothica
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
I think Sir Alberto Goren may go well in Steel General's area of the Thargellian Highlands (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Thargellian_Highlands), if you're interested in helping inspire that region a bit.

-IG

12rounds
01-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Interesting, IG. That was exactly what I was looking at from the Wiki as a place for the good paladin to live.

Steel General
01-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Interesting, IG. That was exactly what I was looking at from the Wiki as a place for the good paladin to live.

Sounds good to me, maybe this will help me get motivated to expand my little 'area of the world'. :)

industrygothica
01-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Heh.. you know what they say about great minds and all. Not exactly sure how that applies to us, but you know.. :lol:

Sounds good to me, maybe this will help me get motivated to expand my little 'area of the world'. :)

That was kind of the point. Well that, and the area fit.

-IG

12rounds
02-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Name: Count Ludwig Morton "The Crimson Knight"

A member of a long line of knights and other noblemen, Count Ludwig Morton is the current ruler of the city of Morton - one of the biggest cities of Thrubmorton Fens. Count Ludwig is the primary ruler of the city and the lord of the lands surrounding Morton (the fortified city of New Mere Fort and the trade city of Mullion both fall under Count Morton's rule). Count Morton is known throughout the lands as "The Crimson Knight" - a nickname that originates from the youth of the then-aspiring knight. He defeated a red dragon that was said to be the mother of a strange variety of reddish brown lizardmen that have been seen from time to time but who seem extremely rare or elusive now. He brought the remains of the dragon to Morton where it was seen by a thousand people in the market square of the city. Ludwig then hired a well-known dwarven alchemist Durgar to extract the fiery redness of the dragon and instill it's power onto hardened armor plates that would then be moulded into a suit of armor. The process lasted for two years. Count Morton's red armor is said to contain extreme magical properties but those can as easily be old wives' tales than absolute truth.

Count Morton is married to Lady Sullivan and they have two sons and one daughter now. The immediate family of Morton's include a total of 24 living persons, most of whom live in the city of Morton or Mullion. That fact makes the Morton's family a rock solid clan that is likely to stay in power long after a single of it's member is gone. The family is close, effective and stable unit whose members share common interests and strong beliefs in the feudal hierarchy. They also maintain a strong presence in every possible city function and eventhough the family is well liked by the citizens, their apparent need to control everything is frequently causing problems within the city populace.

Count Ludwig Morton is a rather well-mannered and civil man despite his reputation as a fierce combatant. He is comfortable in a leading position. He is very much a hard-working man and regularly accompanies common citizens in even menial tasks such as bridge-building, tree-cutting, roofing etc. He gains enormous amounts of respect thru these events but in all honesty he doesn't do those to win popularity contests. He simply enjoys manual labor and getting his hands dirty.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/combat_024.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/top_combat_024.png

Redrobes
02-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Well you know what this means... it means I (or anyone stepping up to the plate) will definitely have to map Morton now ! I wonder if the next months challenge can wangle a big castle into it ?

How cool is he. I like the armour with imbued red dragon essence. Fantastic. With Hoels new found red dragon eggs in the goblin encampment I think there could be a tie in...

Nicely done as usual. Always gotta stop what I am doing when a 12rounds email pops into the box. Very impressed.

Steel General
02-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Another fantastic piece!

12rounds
02-03-2009, 11:43 AM
EDIT -- I have just realized he's another character that can sit on a horse pretty well. Oh you should do a war horse with some light barding.

Let's just start with a sturdy riding horse, shall we. :D

http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/creatures/2009-02-03.png

All images posted by me on this thread are copyrighted to me and under the following Creative Commons license: CC 3.0 (by-nc-sa) (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/)

Redrobes
02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Excellent - the company of six ride forth :D

Steel General
02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Cool idea RR!

12rounds
03-01-2009, 01:43 PM
It's been a month since last image update.

Now I have a new computer rig set-up and today's update is the first produced with the new set-up. I've got myself a 64-bit Ubuntu Linux running on a very fast 6Gb RAM, Intel i7 920 quad-core with 4 disks (1Tb, 500Gb are data disks, 10000rpm 150Gb Velociraptor is a systems disk and a 60Gb solid-state drive for uber-fast data access for 3D resources). It took me some days to get things going, but the speed difference is remarkable for both 2D and 3D work.

=================
Name: Carl Falcone
Race: human

Carl Falcone is not a born-and-raised Akronian eventhough a good number of his large family lives in the City State of Akron. His story begun on a merchant boat where his mother gave birth enroute from Akron to an unknown location in the Thanelands trying to reach her husband and Carl's father. His mother died in child-birth and took with her the identity of Carl's biological father. The ship's captain felt pity for the newborn and later on adopted him. Carl's adopted father was from the Thanelands and thus Carl was raised there and accustomed to a foreign culture. His childhood was not easy and he was always considered an "outsider" by even his half-brothers and friends in the community. At Carl's 16th birthday his father revealed him the truth of Carl's origin and gave him all the knowledge he had gathered about Carl's mother. A few years later when it was time for him to leave his childhood's nest, he took upon himself a quest to seek out his mother's family not knowing what to expect. A year later he had rejoined his biological family in Akron, but he had grave difficulties blending in the Akronian society. He was largely considered a Thane and things hadn't been quite right between Akron and Thanelands for quite some time. After several difficult years, Carl eventually reached a conclusion that he was not a welcome presence in the city and started a short, but bloody career as a caravan guardian for the Alleuri merchant family.

5 years ago Carl met Artor Cambori at a tavern in Karthis. Both of them had had too much to drink and they ended up starting a massive bar brawl that eventually needed 20 members of the city guard to cool down. They were thrown in the same cell in the hopes they would just kill each other and be done over with, but lo and behold the two men actually befriended that night laughing their heads off at the mayhem they had caused. Carl had just ended a 2-week long merchant caravan guard duty and a few days later Artor approached him offering him a position in his mercenary group. Carl took on the offer and has been a member since. Warder Keep and Cambori's group offered Carl a safe haven in which he felt accepted and at home the first time in his life.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/2009-03-01_carl.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/combat/2009-03-01_carl_top.png

Redrobes
03-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Excellent ! You must have been typing that whilst I was uploading some of your characters to a set on my site - thanks for that btw. This guys just missed out it seems. Sounds like a nifty PC you have there. Mine is pretty fast but the disk speed is low. Your 10K + flash disk should cure that issue. I find now that I have multi gigs of ram swapping is a no goer cos it takes minutes to shuffle that onto HDD. You should try a linpack run ! Blender and POVray both fly on quads. I like this character cos he is quite generic. You could use him in a number of roles from woodsman to guard and in several classes in RPG too esp if slightly tweaked in each case. Great stuff, ill see if I can rep again but I bet it wont let me.

RPMiller
03-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey! That's Brian Thompson!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0859921/

industrygothica
03-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Wow, that actually does look like him.

Steel General
03-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I thought so too.

12rounds
03-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Well any resemblance to the good man is purely coincidental!
Although I enjoyed Thompson's presence in X-Files immensely, I didn't make the connection between the illustration and the actual man until mentioned.

--------------------------------------------
Name: Daimyo Izo Tanaka
Race: undead (vampiristic traits)

Well since Gamerprinter in the Kaidan -thread said he'll be doing the character illustrations himself, I'm not trying to lodge Izo Tanaka into any predefined hole. Instead Tanaka could easily be not of Kaidan origin and located elsewhere. The story below can be easily transferred to pretty much anywhere in Ansium.

Daimyo Tanaka is an undead sorcerer of the dark arts. He is mostly known as the "Bringer of Misfortune" by both his peers and underlings. His presence is almost always preceded by scouting and inhumanely silent undead ravens. Because of this, most of the normal people in the nearby regions fear and respect ravens - living and the dead ones. Many stories circle around claiming Tanaka can transform to a flock of ravens at will.

Whatever the case, Daimyo Tanaka has at his disposal powerful magical spells that cause even the higher ups to think before acting. Tanaka is a vampiristic undead, but unlike the regular western vampire, Tanaka does not have to sleep during the day and his sustencance is much more likely the collective fear of living creatures than anything physical.

Tanaka is a sensible creature and extremely well equipped to spy. He has founded several entire spy networks and even controls a few groups who think they are independent. Tanaka renders his services to other nobles, but never demands anything in return. Except favors. He has collected a huge selection of boons from pretty much all the important players - including some that oppose him directly (they just didn't know who controlled the information provider behind the curtains).

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/2009-03-07_lord_tanaka.jpg

Gamerprinter
03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Kimmo!

Please understand, that I mean to illustrate the major characters of the storyline, however, I see a population of 10 million "Kaidanese", so there will be many more possible NPC characters, than those I create for my major players.

There is plenty of room for characters that Kimmo can create and describe! Thanks for the effort!

GP

PS: the vampiristic Daimyo of Ravens is a great concept!

12rounds
03-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Also here's a token for a small flock of ravens.
And the Daimyo posing as an undead raven.

Gamerprinter
03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Excellent, Kimmo!

GP

PS: I'm starting to think of plots with Lord Izo on intrigues!

Redrobes
03-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Cool. Like the character and the idea of the raven control / summoning. The nerdness in me is wanting to point out that ravens have a very distinct wedge shaped tail tho.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Common_Raven-Mindaugas_Urbonas-1.jpg

http://www.teremiski.de/flyraven.htm

I guess I should add that its really distinct if you see some. Ok ill shut up now...

Steel General
03-07-2009, 08:08 PM
More great work 12Rounds!

12rounds
03-08-2009, 04:23 AM
The nerdness in me is wanting to point out that ravens have a very distinct wedge shaped tail tho.

Have you seen any Kaidanese ravens lately?
They have a slightly different physiology. Why? I dont' know. In fact some locals call them "Blackbirds" or "Doombirds" instead of ravens.

Hehe. Counter that! :lol:

12rounds
03-08-2009, 08:14 AM
A compass rose of Aldamaran design.

Redrobes
03-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Counter that! :lol:
Ah, look at this...

Corvus Kaidan - Large Raven like bird only with more aggressive demeanor. Usually found in large flocks or 'storytellings'. Differs from the common Raven in that it has a silent flight and more variable shaped tail.

...its is in my Pocket guide to the birds of Asahi... sheesh. That will teach me not to fact check first. :P

RobA
03-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Nice compass rose 12Rounds!

-Rob A>

12rounds
03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
About Jaston (a small town in Withclight Strand).

Jaston is certainly one of the most relaxed and peaceful communities of The Witchlight Strand. The town is sparsely built with numerous lushious and well maintained green areas even in the heart of the town. The townfolks are proud of the home and it's geopraphy allows such building habits. Jaston has a smallish dock that lies south a couple of miles of the actual town, but it is rather small and lacks many facilities that would make Jaston an actual trade town. Also the shores of the area are hazardous and even dangerous so bigger merchant vessels would probably avoid it anyway.

Even if elves are in the minority of the town's population (comprising only a total of 15% of residents), the ruling class is mostly elven or half-elven origin. Jaston's history stretches way back and it's said that a small group of exiled Old Wood elves founded the town over a millennia ago.

At the heart of Jaston is Lady Lúthien's administrative building which she also calls "home". The building is a large complex of interconnecting halls and hallways all in the ground level. It is made of white stones and marbles and is beautifully ornamented throughout. The administrative area is circled by green parks of light vegetation and some trees. The parks are all in public use and well-maintained by the town officials.

---------------------

Name: Lúthien Anfala

Lúthien is the current ruler of Jaston. She has been just that for the better part of a century. Under her command Jaston has gained an image of an idyllic paradise of peace and tranquility. At the same time Lúthien has surrounded herself with a hundred loyal followers mostly of elves of her original clan or somehow related otherwise. Everything that needs a decision in the town, goes thru Lúthien's minions.

She is proud of Jaston and her accomplishment in bringing such a small town such an enormous sparkle of vitality and peacefullness. Noone is quite certain how she managed to fund it all since the good people of Jaston are not over-taxated and certainly they are not just looting the money out of someone else. It remains a mystery to this day since Lúthien is personally in charge of the town's funds and does not have to report to anyone about spendages and such mundane issues.

But even if the town is outwardly in a condition fit for high kings, all is not well. Jaston houses several cells of extremist opposition to the iron rule of Lúthien and her minions. Many people who have been chased out of town tell a similar story - they have refused to take part in the town's free-for-all health care programs designed by the town officials to further improve townsfolks' health. The health care programs are mandatory and refusing is grounds for severe punishment. Mostly the programs consist of healing rituals, ingestion of healing herbs, potions and such. But the opposition says that the townsfolk are abnormally cheerful and pleasant and that they are forcefully kept "happy" so as to not object anything the rulers say or do.

Whatever the case is, Jaston is a beautiful, quiet and peacefull town with happy people living in it.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/luthien.jpg

Gamerprinter
03-09-2009, 02:42 AM
Another great piece, Kimmo!

I wonder, it sounds to me like the "Stepford Elves"... LOL

GP

industrygothica
03-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Another great piece, Kimmo!

I wonder, it sounds to me like the "Stepford Elves"... LOL

GP

I was thinking the EXACT same thing, actually.

A wonderful piece, and now I've got an excellent starting point for Jaston.

Thanks 12rounds!

-IG

12rounds
03-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Name: Carnael Anfala

As the Lord Marshal of Jaston, Carnael Anfala is solely responsible for both the city guard of Jaston and the standing troops of Jaston. The ranks of the military are well known to Carnael's family and Carnael can trace prominent military persons in his fatherly line of family for generations. As Lúthien Anfala's cousin, Carnael is very closely allied to Lúthien and is utterly loyal. Carnael is a man of sheer willpower and mental fortitude and he loathes anyone and everyone who fall under duress. It's been well documented even that Carnael has executed men under his command for having the audacity to succumb to fear.

Carnael is no longer a youngster and his body has already started to show signs of weakening. The occasional muscle spasms, slowly deteriorating hearing and bad right knee are all things that annoy Carnael to no end. He refuses to listen to his body though and it's only a matter of time until something gives - permanently.

He demands the same from men under his command as he demands his own body and mind. That means also that Carnael is personally taking part of training exercises and even the occasional border patrol duties. At times he's even been seen leading the graveyard shift of town patrol which is pretty much the most boring job there is for a guard because of the relaxed and easy attitude of the town. Nothing much happens except laughter and hearty bellowing in the town's pubs - unless of course visitors are spending time in the town.

Oh and by the way ... Jaston's color scheme and coat of arms is that which is depicted on Carnael's shield.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/carnael.jpg

Steel General
03-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Yet another nice piece. Bravo!

12rounds
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Name: Merenes Anfala

Merenes is the daughter of Aelwyl, Lúthien Anfala's sister. Aelwyl has adopted a life of silence and solitude as a devout follower of the god Hurdaan and Merenes chose to not pursue her mother's path. Instead she stayed with Lúthien whom she considers her "second mother". Merenes has been part of Lúthien administration since the beginning.

She suffers from a rather severe case of musophobia (fear of mice) that extends to uncontrollable fear of all sorts of rodents and goes even out of the Rodentia order to Lagomorphas such as rabbits and hares. She has tried to remedy her mental instability thru various means including exorcisms of bad spirits, but no treatment yet has alleviated her condition. Her condition is well known among the elite of the town and she has also been the target of several pranks that have had rabbits as the "punchline". Much to her dismay her position as a close relative to Lúthien has not put her into a good enough standing to render her immune to such petty pranks that exploit her weakness for cheap laughs.

Merenes is a master thaumaturge and her capabilities as an illusionist are not matched by anyone in the Witchlight Strand. Excepting perhaps a few elder elven mages in the Liaglades forest way up north. Even then she masters a wide degree of illusionistic talents. She also uses many of her talents on a regular basis in dealing with the both the town issues and her personal life. Jaston has no laws that expressly forbid thaumaturgical magic.

"The Game of the Kings" (chess) is Merenes' most beloved past-time activity and she is currently the champion of the game in Witchlight Strand. The previous championship was held two years ago in Port Magalie and Merenes won the previous champion High Counselor Colm Theron of Port Magalie. The Game of the Kings is highly respected in the whole Witchlight Strand, but it enjoys a special liking in Jaston. Even to the point that in Jaston alone three different and rivalling gaming clubs have been founded just for the advancement, teaching and promotion of the game. Merenes is an honorary member in each of the clubs.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/merenes.jpg

12rounds
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Name: Bon Garfik
Race: Dwarf

Bon is a trickster, pickpocket, panhandler, street vendor, beggar and a prankster. Depends on when one sees him and whether or not he is working on some angle of his newest ludicruos plan to untold riches. Bon Garfik found his way to Akron by escaping several patrols in Lesser Groam. The patrols are secretly funded and approved by the big cities of Akron in order to keep the possibly disease-ridden refugees out of the city states.

The origins of Bon Garfik are in Groam in the city of Zantarma. He was exactly the same kind of guy over there. He's a tough and ruthless fella who has no moral qualms to steal from anyone he sees owning more earthly goods than him. He gained a legion of enemies in Zantarma, but most of his enemies and targets as well are now dead. Bon lost all of his possessions in a burst of anarchy that took over a refugee camp while still in Groam. He then had no other choice but to stick along other refugees in order to escape both the plague and the ensuing anarchy. He later learned that the plague barely touched Zantarma. Of course that information may now be seriously outdated.

Mr. Garfik is yet to find himself in a serious trouble in Akron, but rest assured the day will come when his game is exposed or when he gets caught with loot on his hands. He's only been to Akron for a short while now and he's already involved in several plans to steal stuff from various parties of the city state. Bon is usually working an angle with shady companions he finds from taverns, but is rarely part of anything truly organised. That may be his downfall since he has been already spotted by the thieves' guild of Akron and they are not at all liking Bon's soloing.

Bon Garfik is a playful and joyous little fella with a rather mean streak and bottomless greed. He enjoys to spend whatever he's got but doesn't expend what he hasn't yet got. Thus he has avoided the usual story of big debts to the wrong people. The man has little respect for pretty much anything and although he doesn't discriminate his targets, he follows one personal golden rule - he never steals from another dwarf.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/bon_garfik.jpg

Redrobes
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Maigic stuff as usual. I like all of them but the illusionist is very well posed.

jfrazierjr
03-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Tokens, tokens tokens!!! Me want's more tokens.....

Anyway... good work.. I love to see your updates come into my inbox!

RPMiller
03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
I love to see your updates come into my inbox

I must be tired because that sounds wrong... :o

Great stuff as always 12R!

12rounds
03-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Name: Dessh'hk
Race: Lizardman

One of the senior lieutenants of the lizardman leader Sshraak.
Dessh'hk is a devout believer in the old ways of lizardmen and in the ways of their lizard-god Astanhaag. He hasn't got much of a brain to use, but he's pretty agile and tough - perfect soldier for the lizardmen. He's got a natural sense of deviousness and of cunningness that make him a very dangerous opponent in the swamps. He lures prey into perilous waters where a group of them is hiding on the trees that kiss the swampy waters or beneath the surface waters. The destruction of a merchant vessel is a reality in a matter of minutes when Dessh'hk's plans succeed.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/lizardman.jpg

http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/lizardman.png

Redrobes
03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Wow, hes fantastic. He really looks like a tough opponent too with the big jaw and hands. The token is excellent too.

I really ought to make some more terrain around the Deathchaser Fen so that we can get some spots for some Lizardman living space. I haven't given it much thought what kind of dwelling they might use actually or even what kind of population numbers they might have.

If I get two minutes to rub together I really should run a script over the whole Thrub tile now and do it all to a high res seamlessly.

Thanks Kimmo - I always like it when I see a 12 rounds message in my mail.

Redrobes
03-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I promised that I would do some horse barding so here is a token of Kimmos horse with some barding on as a token.

You might have to scale it for your particular VTT.

12rounds
03-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey Redrobes, that barding looks pretty damn good!

And now for today's illustration:

Name: Birger Faegorson

Birger comes from the city of Vilgian in North Skolvendun. He is the eldest son of a rather influential chieftain Faegor Udgersson who has been the king of North Skolvendun for 40 years and counting. From his early childhood Birger was trained to become his father's successor. His training included excessive combat training as well as other skills that a king would need. But things turned bleak on Birger when he turned 26. His younger brother Belgor Faegorson had no intention to just bend over and allow Birger to become the next king. Instead he developed a complicated fake coup d'etat. The coup failed (as it was meant to according to Belgor's plans) and fake trails pinpointed a totally innocent Birger as the mastermind behind the plan.

Faegor was lightly wounded, but his ego was badly bruised and frustration and disappointment led to anger. He ordered Birger to be summarily killed and promised a hefty reward to whomever brings him the head of Birger. Birger had gathered enough respect and friends during his teen years and so he managed to orchestrate an escape with the help of those loyal to him. 6 months later he sent a message addressed to his father claiming his innocence. It's now been 3 years since his escape from the Thanelands and he has made up his mind to eventually prove his innocence to his father. He now takes bi-annual month-long reconnaissance journeys to Thanelands under disguise. He takes very shallow and quick contacts to his former friends within the kingdoms but is in no position to tell which ones are actually still loyal to him. So far he has come to the conclusion that he was the victim of an orchestrated plan.

He stays close to Thanelands, but maintains a low profile. After he has managed to gather enough evidence, he plans to gather a small group of loyal friends and return to his father to either be embraced back into the community or executed on sight. He doesn't actually need the money, but rather wants to keep up his skills from becoming rusty. So he has became a freelancer member of the Crazy Krull's Hard Ones mercenary group and has taken a permanent residence in Hardy Point under the alias of "Steawer Gorling". Crazy Krull knows that he is actually a prince, but none other of the mercenaries know of this.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/birger.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/birger.png

I also a have some questions:
Are there any black-skinned humans in Ansium like those of African origin in Earth? How about drow or shadow elves or dark elves? Dark dwarfs?

Gamerprinter
03-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Nice addition and backstory, Kimmo!

I've got some odd requests...

1. Hengeyokai - animal/human shape-changers, that is humanoid bodied with head, hands, legs and feet of animals: fox, badger, monkey, tiger, dressed as a Kaidanese commoner - coat and pants.

2. Oni Demons - naked or clothed, 9 foot tall humanoid with typical twin horned and fanged mawed demon head, muscular body, a spiked club in hand in red or green skin, perhaps a loin cloth only.

3. Ryujin (Dragon People) - like hengeyokai, but with oriental serpent head on elongated neck, scaly skin on humanoid body, serpentine tail, could be clothed in coat/pants or kimono. Armed with spear.

4. Various: samurai, monk, perhaps a ninja!

GP

RPMiller
03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Kimmo,

There are some models that would fit the bill for some of these. If you don't have them, and don't want to buy, I might be able to render them out for you. Just shoot me a PM and we can discuss it.

Steel General
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Another great piece 12Rounds...bravo!

Redrobes
03-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow - excellent. Excessive combat training - I like that. I think that's just the sort of thing required to fit in with Crazy Krull. I should imagine that all of Krulls band have a back story of similarly complicated origin - you'd have to be either nuts, psychotic or have some reason like that to stick in that group. It's a perfect place to hide from anyone who might want to have you followed. The lizard men would see to that.

In a sense you could almost use that token on either the good side or the bad. He looks like some deranged baserker too. Marvelous.

12rounds
03-24-2009, 12:51 PM
@RPMiller
If you want, you could have a go at rendering an Oni demon or some dragon people in b/w and then I could try my hands on the post-working.

@GamerPrinter
This is a Kaidanese rat/human shapechanger. Pretty much just a test, but it turned out good enough to post. I don't know jack about hengeyokai (nor about Oni demons for that matter) so I'll refrain from providing any background. Damn fun little critter to make.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/hengeyokai1.jpg

Gamerprinter
03-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Excellent test, Kimmo - I would call that a Nezumi yokai (rat shape-changer)!

Just so you know, an Oni Demon, in traditional D&D is an Ogre Magi - if you know what they look like you're right on the money. I just want to insure my Oni demons have proper two horns as in western demons. Nine feet tall, muscular to overweight stature, clawed hands and feet with red or green scaly skin. They can either be fully dressed or wearing only a loin cloth. Favored weapons being a short whip or a spiked club.

Since you had so much fun with the Nezumi, why not try some other Hengeyokai combinations!

And as a special tribute to you, in my Fukuhara-kyo (capital city of Kaidan) post in the WIKI, I placed the city on both banks of the Kimmo River!

Fukuhara-kyo (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Fukuhara-Kyo)

GP

PS: the blue oni mask on that page RPMiller points to is a great look at an Oni face.

RPMiller
03-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Maybe this will help? http://images.google.com/images?q=oni%20demon&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

RPMiller
03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
If you find a particular model that you think would work, let me know and I'll do a render. My time is incredibly limited right now; otherwise, I would do the searching myself.

12rounds
03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/oni1.jpg

Steel General
03-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Holy Oni Batman! :D

RPMiller
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
That was very much spot on Kimmo! Great job!

12rounds
03-26-2009, 02:58 PM
### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/hengeyokai2.jpg

jfrazierjr
03-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Digging the Avatar!!! Any chance of getting these last few guys into token form? I am especially digging the latest one!

ravells
03-26-2009, 06:02 PM
That ratman looks like a nasty type! Great work as always, Kimmo!

su_liam
03-27-2009, 01:43 PM
The last couple of rats rock!

12rounds
03-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Name: Artos Penhaligon
Race: Half-elf
Loation: Rhadim, Thargellian Highlands

The former head of Rhadim's thieves' guild, Artos Penhaligon founded a rivalling guild after being grilled out by Lloyd McSang. As Rhadim is a bustling and international port city, it allows - but just barely - for two thieves' guilds to coexist. Neither has many members in total and some are even claiming membership in both organisations.

Lloyd McSang used to be Artos' second-in-command, but Lloyd replaced Artos after Lloyd staged a succesful operation against a merchant vessel. Many of the members of the thieves' guild had issues with Artos not being a native Dyvari and this caused racial friction within the guild. The new competing guild is mainly comprised of non-Dyvari and thus the two guilds have a clear ideological distinction between them.

Artos Penhaligon has been a devout follower of Syth for all this adult life. He even considers the guild he is leading a religious group as well as a secular criminal group. As of yet the religious undertone of the guild has not repelled any members, but some have expressed their consern of this. The connection to Syth has also acquinted Artos to several rather infamous dark elf thieves and priests. Dark elven influence in the city has alarmed the city officials. It is suspected that the newly seen high-profile and visible presence of Valan's paladins is linked to this - they are possibly retained by the city to get rid of the dark elven influence and whatever it is that draws them to the city.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/artos.jpg
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/artos.png

Gandwarf
03-29-2009, 12:46 PM
More rep coming your way 12rounds. You are doing some amazing work!
So how much time did you spend on these latest additions? Because you make it look so easy, and I know it isn't :D

12rounds
03-29-2009, 01:13 PM
More rep coming your way 12rounds. You are doing some amazing work!
So how much time did you spend on these latest additions? Because you make it look so easy, and I know it isn't :D

Thank you.

The first rat-man amounted to around 4 hours. The second rat-man probably 3,5 hours. Artos Penhaligon took maybe 4 hours from start to finish.

ravells
03-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Fantastic work, 12 Rounds!!! More rep if the machine will let me give it!

Valarian
03-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Just trying to catch up on the additions since I last checked. There's loads.
I love the flavour you're adding to the world.

12rounds
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Another Hengeyokai. Snow Owl shapechanger.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/hengeyokai3.jpg

Gamerprinter
04-06-2009, 03:02 AM
It really looks like a Kenku, if you ask me. Don't know if its actual Japanese folklore, probably though. But an old D&D Japanese humanoid, was a Kenku or bird man. They didn't fly, but had bird heads, and feet, with human torso and hands, as you have them.

Hengeyokai are generally mammals only.

Tengu, which to me is a long nosed goblin (my favorite as a kid), some consider them bird-like as well, there are many versions of this legendary humanoid. So Japanese mythos had bird-men beings. However, they weren't hengeyokai.

Generally Hengeyokai include: fox (especially fox women), badger, rabbit, rat, cat, dog, monkey. I think Oriental Adventures added the crane, sparrow, and carp to that list (though I don't know how accurate that is to actual folklore.)

Excellent job, just the same!

GP

Gandwarf
04-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I think it's a cool image. Love the fact that only his hands and posture are human.

Looking at the ratmen again they remind me a bit of Splinter, the master of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :D
Mostly because Splinter was also always wearing a kimono.
(and no, I haven't watched TMNT for about 15 years!)

DevinNight
04-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey 12 Rounds,
Nice job on the portraits and tokens.
-D

12rounds
04-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Thank you all for your nice comments!

-----------------------------------------------

Name: Ashim Kamal

Ashim is a devout follower of Barrakis, the deity of assassinations and murders. His origins are shrouded in mystery (I don't know where in Ansium a person of obvious Arab heritage would come from). He offers his specialities for hire and is especially proficient in using his poisoned serpent-ornamented dagger. Ashim Kamal creates his own poisons and does not rely on the concoctions of witches, shamans or shady clerics. He masters several extremely rare recipies for extraordinary poisons ranging from poisons that cause slow and bloody death all the way into poisons that cause delayed mental instabilities of the recipient. His skills in herbal lore allow him to create healing salves and potions as well, but he uses such non-destructive ailments onto himself only - even if good money would fall his way by selling healing herbs.

Ashim has found Calishem to be perfect as his base of operations many years ago and nowadays his reputation is such that he can actually pick lucrative marks that don't require him to spend days or weeks travelling around the world. Ashim is a man of high intellect, but also he suffers from an addiction to herbs that make him fearless and more focused in his work. The herbs in question he can't cultivate on his own, but instead need to get them from his underworld contacts as many such herbs are deemed illegal to possess and consume.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/ashim.jpg

Gandwarf
04-13-2009, 02:11 PM
You are unstoppable 12rounds ;)
Nice character, love his pose, especially the way he is running sand through his hand. You are definitely still getting better at this.

Steel General
04-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Another great image 12Rounds.

I do have some Arabic-based people in the Thargellian Highlands (Area 23), but they migrated from further east.

Gamerprinter
04-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Hey, 12 rounds, nice portrait of an assassin!

I see the Arabs coming from the southeast, in the first unmapped region east of the Plague lands. Calishem is a huge urban trade center with almost 100,000 inhabitants (I really don't want to map that myself!).

Ethnically it is located in the southernmost region of the Slavic peoples, and the westernmost region of the Topaz Horde of Mongols. Because the Spice and Silk roads reach the western terminus along the inland Sea of Qashya, and the Spice Road passes through Arabic country, which has drawn many great Arabic merchant houses to Calishem.

Calishem is a mixture of Arabic, Slavic and Mongols, with smatterings of traders from the Land of Rajahs and the Chin-Qai Empire (a kind of early China), even nordic traders from somewhere in northern Ansium, thus its a melting pot of the Far and Near East of Ansium, as I see it. Kind of a cross between Samarkand and Constantinople. The ruling government is Mongol, but they allow very much a free hand to the merchant ethnic populations that make Calishem one of the wealthiest cities in the world, and the cultural capital of the Khanate of Qashya Mal.

Nice to finally see a Calishem local!

GP

12rounds
04-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Name: Augustus von Haedor

Originally from Akron, sir Augustus is a wandering paladin of Valan. He is a very respectable and highly noted member of Valan's followers, but refuses to be chastised by any one single power group within the religion. He does not care much for politics and deal-making and has adopted his wandering life-style willingly. Sir Augustus has received formal training fit for a knight as his noble parents planned a life of the nobility for him. Instead Sir Augustus found his calling in a remote coastal Valan's monastery southeast of Drator in Akron. There he learned the ways of Valan under the tutorage of one Melnick Ja'el - a legendary elven monk who ran the monastery for 50 years and then went on a personal quest from which he has not returned. Yet.

Augustus connects to many religious authorities throughout Ansium and gains insight into where he his services might be required. His person is a stern, but charismatic one, and one that has an aura of calmness. He is at peace with himself and has nothing to prove to anyone anymore. His mind set puts him on the verge of being "enlightened".

He has now moved to Thargellian Highlands to oppose a possible cult of Syth that has been rumoured to gain foothold in the area. He has the patience of a hunting lion and is thus mainly "dormant" for the time being and gathering as much information as he possibly can.

### PIC ###
http://chardepot.pp.fi/illustrations/sir_augustus.jpg

Gandwarf
04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Hah! Your site is blocked at my work 12rounds. So I can't see anything.
Your site was put in a custom blacklist... very weird. One of our admins seems to hate you :D

12rounds
04-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Hah! Your site is blocked at my work 12rounds. So I can't see anything.
Your site was put in a custom blacklist... very weird. One of our admins seems to hate you :D

Why would that be? I pay good money for it and the hosting company is one of the biggest around here. Perhaps they just scan around for "non-work related" content and summarily blacklist it.

Gandwarf
04-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Why would that be? I pay good money for it and the hosting company is one of the biggest around here. Perhaps they just scan around for "non-work related" content and summarily blacklist it.

I checked again and http://chardepot.pp.fi/ is blocked by Websense in the category "games". So I guess your website is blacklisted by Websense and a lot of companies use that filter unfortunately :D
(at first I thought you had been added to the custom blacklist).

Anyway, I see you uploaded the image to the forum as well. Beautiful work. I love his armor (the lion is great!) and his pike. The only part I don't like so much is the point of the pike. I would expect it to be really sharp and it doesn't look like it.

waldronate
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I believe that technically that weapon would be a spetum or partisan rather than a simple pike. A spetum is roughly a spear with a knife blades at the side while a pike is a very long spear with (usually) a small head for piercing armor. http://www.tomsarazac.com/tom/Fun/polearms.html isn't the most technical of references but it gets the idea across.