PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Will Robinson! Warning!

heathan666
10-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Hello I'm Heathan, I'm new to the "artistic" end of map making. I personally am very good at drawing and painting, but little experience with computer art (although I will be getting a stylist for my computer soon).
I've made maps and run a game on maptools, my main interest is creating some semi-detailed maps and such for them (basically leave out everything that's interactive and add that in maptools).
Currently my pet project is a large underground ruin's inhabbited by mutant kobolds. The area the players are going to be in isn't that large map, now I've been told the best way to do that is basically using photoshop or gimp. However I have lil experience using them other then converting jpegs and stuff to png for map tools.
I also like long walks on the beach, reading to underprivliged school children, and spending time helping feed the homeless......lol j/k that's my way of sayin' I talk to much. Anyways any help you guys can offer I'd like.

jfrazierjr
10-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Hello I'm Heathan, I'm new to the "artistic" end of map making. I personally am very good at drawing and painting, but little experience with computer art (although I will be getting a stylist for my computer soon).
I've made maps and run a game on maptools, my main interest is creating some semi-detailed maps and such for them (basically leave out everything that's interactive and add that in maptools).
Currently my pet project is a large underground ruin's inhabbited by mutant kobolds. The area the players are going to be in isn't that large map, now I've been told the best way to do that is basically using photoshop or gimp. However I have lil experience using them other then converting jpegs and stuff to png for map tools.
I also like long walks on the beach, reading to underprivliged school children, and spending time helping feed the homeless......lol j/k that's my way of sayin' I talk to much. Anyways any help you guys can offer I'd like.

Welcome to the Guild! If you want simple and quick, the fastest way would be using GIMP and RobA's Dungeon generation script (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2759&highlight=dungeon+script). This is a great way to get a dungeon shell built in seconds(once you get GIMP set up and installed and stuff) The best thing to do is ask questions, lots of questions and we will be happy to help with the specifics.

heathan666
10-12-2008, 11:56 AM
that's actually awesome, btw I have no life so I can come up with alot of questions....ummmm I like this site alot. I actually went to school years ago for graphic arts but didn't like it that much (as at the time the computer medium wasn't as open to me or interesting as it is now).
I'm also glad I looked at that forum there was a link on it that caught my eye, as well, the tutorial's one about regional maps (happens another project of mine is creating a nice map for my players of the regions).

ravells
10-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the Guild, Heathen! Do scan and post your hand drawn maps so we can see them!

Steel General
10-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Turgenev
10-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the Guild, heathan666. I second ravells' notion. Lets see some of your maps. ;)

Ascension
10-12-2008, 10:29 PM
You're getting a stylist for your computer? Wow you must have some big bucks...all I can do is put contact paper on mine ;) Kidding....welcome to the Guild.

heathan666
10-12-2008, 11:45 PM
lol my hand drawn maps aren't that good either, very old skool if you know what I mean. However I did post one of my maps that I had been working on for my D&D game. I've already found 2 very interesting threads, however I still haven't figured out how to run the script yet??? I'm trying to make a dungeon as well as work on the world map (dungeon is high priority) and I got a good script from it, but I'm afraid I'm retarded and need a walk through on how to use it. I have vent and email if anyone wants to hook me up. lol.

heathan666
10-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Ok well the newbie has struck, um after some work (and still working) I was able to start redoing one of my maps and in doing so tada! My first post

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3150

jfrazierjr
10-13-2008, 03:47 PM
lol my hand drawn maps aren't that good either, very old skool if you know what I mean. However I did post one of my maps that I had been working on for my D&D game. I've already found 2 very interesting threads, however I still haven't figured out how to run the script yet??? I'm trying to make a dungeon as well as work on the world map (dungeon is high priority) and I got a good script from it, but I'm afraid I'm retarded and need a walk through on how to use it. I have vent and email if anyone wants to hook me up. lol.

Hmm ok. so what OS are you using?

heathan666
10-13-2008, 04:32 PM
windows the script is installed I just don't know how to use them. lol

jfrazierjr
10-13-2008, 05:11 PM
windows the script is installed I just don't know how to use them. lol

Ok.. take a look at the thread RobA' posted the script in. Create a new document in GIMP and fill with with Black. Now either use the selection tool to select "rooms" and fill each selection with white before moving on to select another part of the map OR Just use the PaintBrush tool with a hard brush to "draw" your caves in White onto the back background. So, you have a single layer image with white on black where white is the empty areas where you rooms/hallways will be. Now.. I odn't have IGMP in front of me at this moment, but I think on the Filter menu, there is an entry for Dungeon Map maker or something like that. Or, just look around for something likethat. This will popup a window with a bunch of options. For your first pass.. just go with the defaults so you get an idea of what it will look like. You can then Undo and try again with different settings until you are satisfied. If you don't already, you might also want to think about adding some additional textures to your USERNAME/gimp-26/patterns folder from the web. You can get some nice stuff from many places on the web, including cgtextures(note, you can only dl 15mb from them a day unless you pay for better plan) and many other sites.

heathan666
10-13-2008, 06:17 PM
lol I'm such a terd I've been playin' with it all day (lol) and didn't even notice that. Thanx dude, I have tons of PNG images (alot of tiles and stuff) is there anyways to make those into that format???

heathan666
10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Kewl I got it to work, now like I was sayin' how can I make/convert textures from PNG files???

heathan666
10-14-2008, 11:13 AM
also how can I change the memory allocation of gimp??? Currently some of my images gimp will lag really bad when I'm trying to do somethin' to it. Yes the rest of my computer works fine, just gimp lags, and a few times it has given me a "you will bypass the memory allocation if you do this".

RobA
10-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Hia Heathen-

If you only need a temporary texture, just load up the png , select all and copy it to the clipboard. Anything in the clipboard is available as a texture.

If you want to always have it available, just take the selection and Edit->Paste as->New Pattern

If you want to convert a bunch of files at once, ask nice and I'll script it for you... :P

EDIT: And the memory settings are in the preferences under environment:

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
10-14-2008, 02:19 PM
If you want to convert a bunch of files at once, ask nice and I'll script it for you... :P

-Rob A>

<-Not Heathen but..... PLEASE.... Purty, purty, purty please!!!! I am ok with a py file if you prefer to do it that way.

jfrazierjr
10-14-2008, 02:24 PM
<-Not Heathen but..... PLEASE.... Purty, purty, purty please!!!! I am ok with a py file if you prefer to do it that way.

Besides, I am in an awfully rep-full mood today, and since you only have 7 to go to get your third block, I am ready(only +2 for now) to do my part to help you reach that goal.

NeonKnight
10-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

heathan666
10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Hia Heathen-

If you only need a temporary texture, just load up the png , select all and copy it to the clipboard. Anything in the clipboard is available as a texture.

If you want to always have it available, just take the selection and Edit->Paste as->New Pattern

EDIT: And the memory settings are in the preferences under environment:

-Rob A>

Not to sound like a retard but where is enviroment on the menus???? Think of me as a very very small slow and stupid child plz.

edit: nvm

RobA
10-14-2008, 04:32 PM
@heathen - No problem... under gimp 2.4 it is under the "toolbox dialog" File->Preferences. Under gimp 2.6 it is in the main window under Edit->Preferences.

@jfrazierjr - See Here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=34904#post34904) :)

-Rob A>

heathan666
10-14-2008, 05:09 PM
ya I saw it, now I got like a gang load of textures/tiles and stuff I want to use, what's the quickest way to convert???? I know you said you could create a script but this is like alot of textures....

RobA
10-14-2008, 05:43 PM
ya I saw it, now I got like a gang load of textures/tiles and stuff I want to use, what's the quickest way to convert???? I know you said you could create a script but this is like alot of textures....

I'll tell you - here is how I use my textures (all png files). I don't import them all, cause gimp has no decent way to group them into folders, etc. There is a python brush manager I use (http://myweb.msoe.edu/~bogies/brushmanager/) and I have been tempted to extend it to also be a pattern manager, but find the following workflow is more convenient for me...

I have gimp open, and I'm working on a drawing. I also keep faststone image viewer (http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm) running, sitting in my textures root directory. All my textures are ordered in a directory like this:

-BASIC (contains textures I use often)
-MANMADE
--BRICK
--MARBLE
--METAL
--SEWER
--STONE
--TILES
--WOOD
-NATURAL
--DIRT
--GRASS
--STONE
--VEGETATION
--COVER
--WATER
--WINTER
-TERRAIN (larger scale, the others are all battlemap scale)
-PHOTOREALISTIC (photos I have taken/rendered that usually aren't seamless tiles yet)

I just copy (ctrl-C) from the faststone image browser (preview window, not the thumbnail list!) and then go into gimp and paste (ctrl-v) then cut (ctrl-x). This leave me with the pattern in the gimp clipboard and I can just use it as a fill.

If I want it as a pattern for a while, after this I just Edit->Paste as->New Pattern.

-Rob A>

Jkaen
10-14-2008, 05:49 PM
I didn't realise you could fill using the clipboard, this makes things so much easier, glad I checked this thread now, thanks for asking the question heathan!

heathan666
10-17-2008, 08:40 AM
ok so now I'm workin' on a dungeon map using the script I have and all my new found little textures. So I want to make the map fairly realistic are there any sites that you guys can suggest to me to look at when creating a realistic dungeon???

NeonKnight
10-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Behold my Mighty +5 Axiomatic Flame Burst Cudgel of Repping!

RobA
10-20-2008, 12:01 PM
ok so now I'm workin' on a dungeon map using the script I have and all my new found little textures. So I want to make the map fairly realistic are there any sites that you guys can suggest to me to look at when creating a realistic dungeon???

No answer yet, so I'll post one up..... What do you mean by "realistic dungeon"? Photo-realistic, or "real life" realistic?

If the former, try the dundjinni forums (http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/default.asp) for objects. If the latter, I don't know 'cause I've never seen a real dungeon :)

-Rob A>

heathan666
10-21-2008, 07:45 PM
well what I mean is realistic as in developing an ecology and how to pick where traps go etc. For my next adventure I plan on using a school of magic, probably 2 story building with various stuff. Last time I made the maps PCs complained that they didn't "fit" right, but the map was awesome. So in that sense I'm glad I'm doin' better on the maps.
If anyone has a map of a "school" of magic I'd love to ninja it from you, lol.

Steel General
10-22-2008, 06:30 AM
If anyone has a map of a "school" of magic I'd love to ninja it from you, lol.

Check out the Building/Structure Mapping and the FInished Maps forums, you might just find something.