PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] Sirilion (City Designer 3)

Gandwarf
10-13-2008, 04:24 PM
--------------------
EDIT 30-12-2008: I rendered the map again and the glitches are now gone. It's also a much bigger size. There might be a few misplaced towers however, I will get to those sooner or later :)
--------------------

--------------------
EDIT 02-05-2009: added a second version of Sirilion, with some improvements and labeling.
--------------------

I got a notice from our new community leader suggesting I should put some of my finished maps in this part of the forum. Well, who am I to refuse? So let's start of with Sirilion then.
For the thread I am using to dump all my work in, please visit More cities (City Designer 3) (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2991)

Some background information, as I am mapping a fantasy world I am creating, called the Valley:

Sirilion is the most populous city in the Valley, with almost 50.000 inhabitants (counting surrounding villages). People gathered here mostly because is has strategic access to many resources. There's excellent farm and grazing lands all around the city, mountains supply marble, stone, iron ore and silver and clay is used to make bricks and pottery. One of the most important resources it is lacking right now is wood, as its forests have been cut down by wasteful rulers, but it is imported from the south.

Because of its access to resources there's a lot workshops and trade going on. The river has been dammed to create more farmland and mills and watermills are built all along the water to supply power to its industries. The river near Sirilion has carved out a canyon, so it's not easily accessible from the city itself - although the smaller island is sloped and has a small beach used mainly by fisherman. The bigger island hosts the palace with its gold domed roofs.

Over the years a lot of defences were added, but the city was always hungry for more land and kept on growing. In the south an earthen wall has been created to protect assets, but in the north the city is allowed to run free. The castle in the southwest was mainly used as a staging point for slave caravans. As not everyone wanted to live there the housing is less dense.

The spoiled elite have set up mansions in the east, along the southern bank. Away from the filth and noise of the city.

Sirilion has always been ruled by wizards, most using it as their seat of power. The last wizard, or rather sorceress, to rule the city was Ylianne D'Trevaile. She was the daughter of another wizard and had great power because of that. She ruled Sirilion with an iron fist and sent thousands into slavery to work the mines. Enemies were tortured to death or if she couldn't get to them, she would capture their relatives and make sure her enemies turned themselves in. She especially hated other women - thinking them weak - and used rape as a weapon of war.

Her rule ended when the revolution that started in the north spread to Sirilion after a few years of running wild. An Alliance army of over 12.000 soldiers, led by the brilliant general Belarcar, defeated her armies near Sirilion after months of combat. Ylianne was found dead in her palace, possible murdered by her own bodyguards.

Sirilion is now garrisoned by Alliance soldiers, but the south is plagued by famine and more conflict, as the elite that Ylianne used to pamper is continuing to cause trouble and resist. Belarcar has long since been withdrawn and lesser officers are left to deal with the mess. Tens of thousands of refugees from the south have travelled to the north, especially the area near Concetron. As farmland is left unattended less food is available and the famine gets worse by the day.

Gandwarf
10-13-2008, 04:28 PM
One stupid thing I noticed about this map is that the north contains a lot of small dots. They are caused by the fact I have cut and pasted this map together in Paint Shop Pro and I forgot that my grid was on in City Designer 3. A mistake I made in several of my maps.

To remove the dots I will have to cut and paste most of the map again, which will take probably an hour. But as the dots can't be seen unless your really zoom in and because of the fact I am pretty lazy, I haven't redone the map yet. But I will do a proper version some time.

Ilwan
10-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Fantastic CD3 map. Im speechless

mmmmmpig
10-15-2008, 01:50 PM
I love the outer agricultural areas... Such wonderful textures

Rondor
10-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Fantastic work. I am just learning CC3 and DD3 for the past few weeks.

The one tiny aesthetic I would do different is less blur on the river but that's simply a matter of taste.

Kuraru
11-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I love how there's the main, walled parts of the city, and then there are shanty towns that have grown up around them with a mix of stone roads and dirt paths.

Good show!

MarkusTay
11-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Truly Excellent - another great city map I'm borrowing for my own world. :)

Talroth
11-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Small note, I found a glitch. Lower central walled district, western gate, the wall just north of the square tower. Anyone else see a glitch of things shifted a few pixels to the right for about 20 pixels up? Here, and in the Cartographers Choice's posting.

Ascension
11-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Excellent eyes. There is something glitched there.

Gandwarf
11-30-2008, 06:32 PM
You are right.
Unfortunately there's several glitches, at least half a dozen. I made screenshots of parts of this map and then pasted them together. I made some errors... it's really hard to paste a map together from dozens of screenshots. I also forgot to turn of the grid and that's why a large part of the map has small dots everywhere.

I was trying to clean up the map, but it's such a beast that Campaign Cartographer 3 crashes a lot. It was getting a chore cleaning it up. And as this is a hobby and not something I do for a living, I decided to leave it as it is right now.

Next year I will get a much faster computer (this one is 3 years old) and then I will have a look and see if Campaign Cartographer 3 handles this map better.

Gandwarf
11-30-2008, 06:40 PM
------------------------
UPDATED: removed this version of the map.
------------------------

In this verion of Sirilion I did some cleaning up. Start in the northwest corner and then move east. You'll hit a border and you will see what I mean.

I wanted to redo the whole map like this but it just got to frustrating. There's probably even more glitches in this map, as I quit redoing it when only at about 20% finished.

This map made me scared to do more city maps of this size. And I still need to map the three other great cities of Iffraon, Velakron and Miston. Ack!

Some day... :P

craggles
12-08-2008, 09:46 AM
This is truly amazing! I have a feeling a group of players may very well be traversing these streets shortly. :)

Thanks! I'm really glad you've shared this with us.

Gandwarf
12-08-2008, 06:06 PM
This is truly amazing! I have a feeling a group of players may very well be traversing these streets shortly. :)

I hope they don't run into a graphical glitch 8)

Gandwarf
12-29-2008, 09:06 PM
------------------------
UPDATED: removed this version of the map.
------------------------

So, the good news: I have found a way around the crash bug while saving (found it on the Profantasy forum). It's even a lot quicker than just rendering the map. That means I can now render maps in huge dimensions, without cutting and pasting screenshots together.

The bad news: it messes with some of my settings. In below (HUGE!) example the city walls are too thick for example. Hopefully I can fix this by messing with the effects.

More bad news: I am now running into the limitations on file size on this forum. I saved a version that started with 6000 x something pixels. Had to resize it to 4000 x something.

This is quite a breakthrough for me and very happy with it. I can now create insanely large maps. Phear my power! MUHAHAHAHA :P

Steel General
12-29-2008, 09:25 PM
There is a maximum pixel limit to uploaded files (33 million or so I think), I've run into it a few times myself.

Ascension
12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
I can now create insanely large maps. Phear my power! MUHAHAHAHA

Fun isn't it?

Midgardsormr
12-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Awesome! Now that you don't have to struggle with that, I imagine we're going to be just swimming in CD3 maps, eh?

Gandwarf
12-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Awesome! Now that you don't have to struggle with that, I imagine we're going to be just swimming in CD3 maps, eh?

Ha! You read my mind. First stop Westdiep. I am rendering the map right now and trying a wall fix that I am going to implement for Sirilion as well (fix as in: tear down all walls and rebuild).

Gandwarf
12-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I fixed the thick walls by bulldozing them and drawing them again. I updated the map in the first post with the final version (I will probably give it one more update, some towers need to be replaced).

Hoel
12-30-2008, 06:19 AM
I've looked at this map over and over again. It's a real inspiration.
I want some of City Designers functions in photoshop..
Two points: Is there anyway of anti aliasing the buildings. They look really jagged, specially in large res.
Can you sharpen the terrain textures? Since the buildings are so well defined, the ground seems blurry.

Gandwarf
12-30-2008, 06:26 AM
I've looked at this map over and over again. It's a real inspiration.
I want some of City Designers functions in photoshop..
Two points: Is there anyway of anti aliasing the buildings. They look really jagged, specially in large res.
Can you sharpen the terrain textures? Since the buildings are so well defined, the ground seems blurry.

Thanks for your kind words.

1. I am not sure if I can smoothen out the buildings. CC3 does tend to make jaggies. Maybe someone more experienced with CC3 can give me some pointers.

2. Yes, I can. I put a blur on all the fields and river. At the time I thought it was cool, but now that I can save the map in large dimensions I am not so sure anymore.

Cebrion
01-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I love this map, mainly as it addresses one of my personal pet peeves, that being city maps with way too few buildings. All too often we see this in published maps that are portrayed as being exacting representations(down to showing blown-up map sections with street names, building names, etc.), but that have way too few buildings to support a community of its size. Nice job on this!

One style question: water is generally darker the farther from the bank/shore it is, so do you prefer to make the water dark at the bank/shore so that it stands out more?

Thanks.

woekan
01-17-2009, 06:10 AM
This map is great as it is. But if you want to play around with it some more you could always pimp it with photoshop. :)

Gandwarf
01-17-2009, 06:36 AM
One style question: water is generally darker the farther from the bank/shore it is, so do you prefer to make the water dark at the bank/shore so that it stands out more?

I agree the water should be darker. I have been experimenting with some effects in similar maps, but haven't posted them on this forum yet.

It's likely I am going to redo this map some time as I know I can do a better job now. But it's gonna be a huge undertaking and I am not looking forward to it right now. I need to get in the mood :)

I recently redid some other maps:

Concetron
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3874

Meerzicht
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3934

Gandwarf
04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
This was a long time coming...
Now that I have a new computer I can edit large maps like Sirilion without crashing. I gave the map a much needed update. I changed effects, added lots of little things and added labels. Oh, and I have been experimenting with borders a bit.

Ascension
04-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Lookin good, man. Congrats on the new pc as well.

Steel General
04-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Nice! Took an already great map and made it even better.

Bishop Odo
04-25-2009, 04:17 PM
In College, my International relations professor, told us that when he lived abroad as a Foreign Service officer, he always rented a house that was upstream or higher than the masses. This also had the advantage, of highly influential neighbors, who enjoyed small perks to their government jobs, like snow plowing, something you never think of until you need it, in an underdeveloped nation. My point being, all the waste gets carried away by gravity, well you all know what I mean, sh*t flows down hill. As a general rule your expensive estates are up river, unless there is a special reason for them not to be, IMHO.

The river flow is not expressly indicated on your map, the islands might indicated that the expensive estates are down river, considering the mass of people this city represents; I would think that would be an odorous position. There could be an explanation for this, but that was my first impression.

I do have the tendency to see the minutiae.

guyanonymous
04-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Amazing scope there - I really appreciate your attention to detail. Well done!

Gandwarf
04-25-2009, 04:34 PM
The river flow is not expressly indicated on your map, the islands might indicated that the expensive estates are down river, considering the mass of people this city represents; I would think that would be an odorous position. There could be an explanation for this, but that was my first impression.

The river flows to the west, that's why the estates (villas) are located to the east or upriver.

The palace is a bit downriver, but it has its own island. This is of course great for privacy and security.

ladyathena
06-21-2009, 05:48 PM
I know this is a fairly old thread but I wanted to tell you wow, the amount of work you put into making a map of a city that large with that much detail. Amazing. I'm a very detail oriented (yeah, yeah, I'm anal) person and that much detail for the actual buildings and city streets to be laid out, I can really appreciate the effort!!

Gandwarf
06-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the comment. It's always nice to hear people appreciate the work that went into a map :D

Syt
06-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Just saw this map of yours. I really like it, and I have to admit it gives me a few ideas for a similar design (though on the coast/river mouth) that I've been struggling with for a couple years.

The fields and acres are a beautiful detail.

zKaZy
06-25-2009, 12:39 PM
wonderful
I love sirilion
is almost like my hometown(in its design)

MadCartographer
09-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Where did you get the fantastic boarder? I"m an avid CC3 user (and I won almost everything ProFantasy puts out). I'm going threw your tuts now. WONDERFUL work! Thank you VERY much!

-lee

Gandwarf
09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Where did you get the fantastic boarder? I"m an avid CC3 user (and I won almost everything ProFantasy puts out). I'm going threw your tuts now. WONDERFUL work! Thank you VERY much!

Hi,

I made the border either in Paint Shop Pro or in Gimp. It's too long ago, I can't tell you what steps I took to make it, sorry. Someone who has some experience with these programs or Photoshop should be able to tell you how to make something like this.

dmorand
04-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Bravo Sir. Do you have any tutorials you've made for CD3? If you do please share, I am still new and trying to learn the program.

Clercon
04-05-2012, 03:53 AM
Yes he does - Tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?3983-Creating-cities-with-City-Designer-3)

Valhall
11-06-2013, 06:49 AM
This map is so cool guy. I like it so much! :D