PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: Men of Salt and Men of Soot

Lord
10-15-2008, 12:49 AM
So i have decided on the medieval period but I wanted to do a map where there was an event taking place.

So in this scene, which is very much a WIP at this point, there will be a great fire and destruction. Lots of black smoke and rioting. We shall see how it goes.

I am using a much bigger scale because that is what I envision and need to get the epicness of the scene. So instead of each shape being a building, each shape is a city block or collection of buildings, for the most part.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
10-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Yet another new entry, awesome!

Lord
10-15-2008, 11:02 PM
The layout is done, the red marks the location of the fire, which should help with the lighting. This will be at night, so no global light.

It's pretty much all painted from here on out.

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
10-16-2008, 12:31 AM
color me intrigued... I am really interested in how this one plays out

Lord
10-16-2008, 02:16 AM
ablaze!

So the city is on fire, the people have taken to rioting in the streets, torches in hand, it is the end of times.

lots of cleaning up and refining to do here, but you get the premise.

### Latest WIP ###

did i mentio it was dark, being night time and all.

Jkaen
10-16-2008, 05:11 AM
Looks nice, I think its currently missing some damage to the buildings from the flames, and some variation in the flames themselves

mmmmmpig
10-16-2008, 10:26 AM
ooooh I like where this one is going!

StillCypher
10-16-2008, 12:35 PM
What a fun idea! Very action-packed, but, yeah, I agree with Jkaen. There needs to be some damage to the structures, and right now the fires are looking a bit more like glowing lichen than flames. I imagine that there would be entire buildings engulfed by fire? I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle this. I'd call it "cool," but that would be an oxymoron...

dragonwolf
10-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Excellent idea. The scale is perfect.

Lord
10-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Ok, I put in some damage. Does there need to be more? It;s basically just holes in the roof cover.

I also spiced up the fire a bit and added some other details and tweaks.

Any more ideas? anything looks off?

### Latest WIP ###

dragonwolf
10-21-2008, 03:47 AM
The fire does look better. I like the grass you added and the tents. Given the size of the city, it's seems there should be more things littering the streets. wagons, carts, market stands, etc. It does look a little too clean.

bryguy
10-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Looks Great!! :D

only thing to me is that most of the buildings look completely flat, without even the slightest shadow to give them depth.

Lord
10-21-2008, 11:06 AM
The fire does look better. I like the grass you added and the tents. Given the size of the city, it's seems there should be more things littering the streets. wagons, carts, market stands, etc. It does look a little too clean.

I think your right.. I will litter it up a bit.

Lord
10-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Looks Great!! :D

only thing to me is that most of the buildings look completely flat, without even the slightest shadow to give them depth.

well, they do have shadows.... but you have to remember, its night, with lots of black smoke, so no ambiant light... but i will work some of the flatness

bryguy
10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
well, they do have shadows.... but you have to remember, its night, with lots of black smoke, so no ambiant light... but i will work some of the flatness

yea i realize that, but their should technically be shadows created by the light of the fires

Lord
10-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Added some litter, carts, dirt. Emphasized roof top breaks and such.

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
10-24-2008, 12:15 AM
soooo... by the middle of the map, is it safe to assume they found the arsonist?

great piece by the way!

Lord
10-24-2008, 12:18 AM
soooo... by the middle of the map, is it safe to assume they found the arsonist?

great piece by the way!

Well, there were in fact multiple arsonists. By the middle of the map, it is safe to assume they found, the governor.

mmmmmpig
10-24-2008, 12:19 AM
HA! Ha! ha! HA!

ravells
10-24-2008, 05:05 PM
All of this month's entries are of a really high standard, but this one, I think is one of my favourites. Great work, Lord.

jfrazierjr
10-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Good work!

Ascension
10-24-2008, 05:48 PM
This is one of the most original ideas so high marks for that. Despite the darkness I can see that there's a lot of detail here and detail = time consuming. I love the lil dead guy just above the main bonfire with the ring of people standing around watching him...is that the guvnah?

delgondahntelius
10-24-2008, 07:40 PM
A map after my own heart... MAYHEM AND DESTRUCTION!!!! ..... Don't you just love the smell of burning enemies in the pitch of night?