PDA

View Full Version : Umbraland: Logo Design

PokealypseNow
10-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Disclaimer: This isn't a map, but I don't know where else to put cartographic related / tanget projects! If this needs to be moved, then by all means, mods, zap away.

"Umbraland" is the (current) name I'm giving my fantasy setting. As a web/graphic designer, I spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at logos and packaging (spent four or five minutes just investigating chewing gum packages at Safeway this weekend), it would be a shame for my own magnum opus to go without a sweet logo!

So, this will be my thread to showcase the logo as it evolves. Here it is so far at about 80% completion with the typeface (just got to clean it up and such) and maybe 25%-33% done with color and texture.

I am working towards having the logo look like a piece of metal being worked in a forge, so that's what's up with the general color schemes. Got a long way to go, though!

mmmmmpig
10-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Love the "L" to the "A" transition. I like the idea of the lower portion being hot and workable. I will be interested to see if you put this on a cartouche of some kind to really set it off from whatever product it is placed on.

PokealypseNow
10-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks, Pig.

You got it, this will become the branded logo for all my maps and such. Gotta keep everything nice and cohesive, ya know?

loogie
10-16-2008, 08:16 AM
i to like the logo, and idea... one thing i would personally prefer tho, is to have the headed, workable area look a little more raw, (when its red like that its very rarely crisp and most shaped... its just a personal preference, but I went into photoshop to see what i could do really quick, and this image was made quickly with a gradient mask to cover only the bottom half, then some playing around with the filter gallery... a simple multiply or overlay (i forget which i played with both) and it looks fairly decent... i'm sure a much nicer version could be done, but this is just for ideas.

RobA
10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Looks nice!

Not to be to hooked on semantics, but isn't it a logotype, not a logo?

-Rob A>

Jkaen
10-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I have no idea what the difference between those 2 is.

And I agree it looks nice

RobA
10-16-2008, 11:54 AM
I have no idea what the difference between those 2 is.

And I agree it looks nice

My understanding (I am not a professional graphic designer) is that a logo is typically an ideogram (sign, symbol, figure - like the Nike swoosh, the starbucks double-tailed mermaid, the GM "bowtie", or the Mercedes "three pointed star in a circle") while a logotype is a a word (the company name or abbreviation, typically) in a unique typeface/color/style (like IBM, Carlsberg, SONY).

-Rob A>

PokealypseNow
10-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Ok, I was able to do a bit of work last night after work. It was all focused on the texture effects of both the "cold" iron and "hot" iron parts. I like the look, a lot really, but part of my is concerned that it looks too much like stone rather than old steel...

i to like the logo, and idea... one thing i would personally prefer tho, is to have the headed, workable area look a little more raw, (when its red like that its very rarely crisp and most shaped... its just a personal preference, but I went into photoshop to see what i could do really quick, and this image was made quickly with a gradient mask to cover only the bottom half, then some playing around with the filter gallery... a simple multiply or overlay (i forget which i played with both) and it looks fairly decent... i'm sure a much nicer version could be done, but this is just for ideas.

I like the idea you were going for, loogie. As I mentioned in the OP, the logo is still very much a WIP, so it'll get better as I'm able to work more on it.

My understanding (I am not a professional graphic designer) is that a logo is typically an ideogram (sign, symbol, figure - like the Nike swoosh, the starbucks double-tailed mermaid, the GM "bowtie", or the Mercedes "three pointed star in a circle") while a logotype is a a word (the company name or abbreviation, typically) in a unique typeface/color/style (like IBM, Carlsberg, SONY).

-Rob A>

The terms get bandied around a whole lot, but Rob's correct (and as a designer, I should have known better! Gah!). The Umbraland design is technically a logotype.

A logo is a combination of a mark and the logogtype together. However, in some cases the full logo can just be a logotype (and technically just the mark, but in all practicality that never happens).

Steel General
10-16-2008, 02:15 PM
I think it looks quite good, I think you've pulled off the aged steel quite nicely.

If anything maybe it's a bit too bluish... *shrugs*

mmmmmpig
10-16-2008, 02:17 PM
as for the nit-picking.... the orange blob on the stroke for the "N" seems a bit out of place and too strong.

again, super nit-picky

RobA
10-16-2008, 02:22 PM
TheImperial - sorry for the sidetrack...

Anyway, I really like the cold texture. Very realistic!

-Rob A>

loogie
10-16-2008, 02:34 PM
yeah its looking good

Karro
10-16-2008, 02:36 PM
It looks positively great!

I like the orange blob on the N... to me it suggests uneven cooling.

PokealypseNow
10-16-2008, 02:45 PM
as for the nit-picking.... the orange blob on the stroke for the "N" seems a bit out of place and too strong.

again, super nit-picky

Not nit-picky at all! The blobs aren't working as I'd like at all and are on the chopping block tonight.

PokealypseNow
10-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey everybody, it's been a couple of days (or more than a week, actually) since my last update. There's been some major work done on the logo and I'm pretty happy how it's turning out.

Really, all I feel I need to tweak right now is the moss growth up top. But, I'm going to sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning!

It's a 2000px wide file, so you probably would do best to view it in a new tab instead of the pop-up.

Absinth
10-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Wow! This is just great! I really, really like it! It's funny, but I'm also working on a logo (logotype! :) ) for my setting; especially for my setting's wiki. It just looks awefully boring as it is now. It would be really nice, if you could explain, how you did yours. Please don't feel urged to post a tutorial; I'd just like to know the basics like which program you used (PS?) and how you made the letters. Did you draw them or did you tweak an existing font? Your logo (logotype! :D) is awesome, it would be cool, if you could share your knowledge on creating stuff like this.

Ascension
10-23-2008, 09:26 PM
You did an awesome job capturing that hot iron look, well done! The rust looks good too. I'm not too wild about the moss since it looks more like grass, maybe turn it into a lichen with oranges and reds and whites with a lil slime running down and put the moss as some kind of viny border thing. But that's just me. Very good job.

Karro
10-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Very nice.

I like the moss (I also liked the orange glowy blobs before... and honestly it looks less now like the letters were recently dipped in molten metals for forging than it did before... but that's my opinion). All in all, though, very awesome looking!

ravells
10-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Really beautiful! Was this a pre-designed font or did you do the lettering yourself?

PokealypseNow
10-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks, guys.

Really beautiful! Was this a pre-designed font or did you do the lettering yourself?

The typeface is a result of frankensteining two together: Augustus (available on dafont.com) and Harrington (Microsoft).

Karro
10-24-2008, 06:31 PM
The typeface is a result of frankensteining two together: Augustus (available on dafont.com) and Harrington (Microsoft).

I don't suppose you'd mind sharing precisely how you managed to "frankenstein" two fonts together, or anything else about the process you used?

PokealypseNow
10-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I don't suppose you'd mind sharing precisely how you managed to "frankenstein" two fonts together, or anything else about the process you used?

I'd be happy to (as it's really very easy, technically)!

As with any part of design work, the most challenging element is the creative aspect of the work: coming up with a design that's visually pleasing, colors, visual elements, etc.

But once you've got an idea you want to run with, here's how I used two fonts come up with the Umbraland logo in Adobe Photoshop CS:

I use a higher resolution and size to begin with and then, I can shink it down as need be. For example, the Umbraland logo is actually 15" or so wide at 300dpi.

I used one font (Augustus) to form the base of the logotype. From there, I began typing out random letters in the second font (Harrington). Conciviably, you could use as many fonts as you would like, but I advise sticking with a small number, or using very similar styles.

I look for interesting shapes that I may be able to use in place of or to augment the base font (such as the flourishes on the end letters of U & D, the middle connector of the M, the B and L flourishes, etc).

To "test drive" the looks of things, I throw on a layer mask to the second, stylistic font and then place it where I want.

If it looks good, I'll rasterize the letter and apply the layer mask.

For the sake of your sanity, I highly recommend grouping your work into different folders based on letters or sylables, as a particularly complex letter may have 4-5 different layers, depending on how you design it.

Once you have the rough design done, then go back and begin to smooth everything out. I'll make a copy of the pieces of letters (another reason to group everything together) and then merge it all into one layer.

From there, I'll adjust the tracking between the letters, adjust the bottoms and tops to make it all look uniform, and other touch ups.

So really, it's ultimately a matter or just experimenting to find what looks good.

I hope this is somewhat helpful - I've never written any sort of guide before...

delgondahntelius
10-24-2008, 09:58 PM
That is pretty much how I go about logo and lettering design, although ... I like use paper to sketch out the rough of what I'm going for and scan it in... then I use Illustrator to lay down the vectoring for all the letters.... then whisk it away to photoshop for many more hours of fun! :D

Ascension
10-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Many hours of fun?! Oh yeah, that's right this is supposed to be fun. Nice explanation of the process TI. Looks like I'll have to break down and learn how to use those masks finally.

Absinth
10-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for explaining your technique! I'll try this in GIMP...

ravells
10-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the explanation, although I can't help thinking that the letter shapes would be easier done in a vector programme which could then be exported to a raster for the special effects.

Karro
10-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for explaining your technique! I'll try this in GIMP...

Thanks for the explanation, although I can't help thinking that the letter shapes would be easier done in a vector programme which could then be exported to a raster for the special effects.

Hmm... for those of us running on Free... would running through Inkscape first, then exporting to GIMP be an effective means of doing this?

mmmmmpig
10-27-2008, 12:30 PM
I like the newer version a whole bunch. By mossing up the letters, you really conveyed the idea of "land."

RobA
10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Hmm... for those of us running on Free... would running through Inkscape first, then exporting to GIMP be an effective means of doing this?

Definitely!

Here is a quick (and simple) example of blending two fonts in Inkscape, then modifying them to something unique...

-Rob A>

PokealypseNow
10-27-2008, 02:59 PM

It very well might be, but I have no experience in Illustrator or other vector programs, so that's why I stick with Photoshop.

ravells
10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Whoah! For simpletons like me, could you run briefly through the steps you took there, Rob?

RobA
10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Whoah! For simpletons like me, could you run briefly through the steps you took there, Rob?

Even better - here is an Inkscape tutorial on making a sample logo by editing text paths...

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL_v11/html_nl/ch02s04.html

-Rob A>