PDA

View Full Version : New map in process

landorl
10-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Ok, this is the largest city that I have yet mapped. Below is what I have so far. I am just hoping to be able to get this finished before I die.

It is a major coastal city in my campaign world in an area known as The Free States. It is an ancient city, but little of its ancient past is left. Now it is one of the more powerful realms in the Free States.

landorl
10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
BTW - some info about the map

The red lines mark the approximate location of the city walls. There are a few layers of walls that were built as the city grew.

The brown lines mark the general areas of main roads.

I will be doing a little more details on the rivers as I get finished. Right now the landscape is very basic.

Gandwarf
10-21-2008, 04:19 PM
It's a promising start, I like the delta you are creating the city in.
What software are you using?

Oh, and also are the houses you already placed finished or are you going to do some more stuff to them?

landorl
10-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I am planning on doing some effects to the houses when they are done. Right now they are pretty bland looking.

I am using Photoshop to do the map.

Torq
10-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I always look forward to seeing your stuff landorl. this looks like its going to be a monster in scope. I cant wait to see how it develops. Is it my imagination or is their some horizon bending going on? It seems as if you are getting a view that shows the curvature of the earth, either by design or accident.

Torq

landorl
10-23-2008, 01:26 PM
I hadn't intended the curvature. It is supposed to be a top down view.

Here is some minor updates. I have worked on the waterways a little, and have hidden the temporary layers.

StillCypher
10-23-2008, 02:25 PM
I think the curvature is a trick of the eye. I didn't notice it until Torq mentioned it, and now that's all I see! This is looking really neat. I'm looking forward to watching the progress.

Gandwarf
10-23-2008, 03:23 PM
The waterways are looking really good. I am very interested to see where you are taking this.

landorl
09-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I haven't posted any progress on this in a long time, so I am coming back to this map, and wanted to do an update.

I have changed the buildings to match my other maps. I think that I like it a little better this way. I still have to do a TON of work on the background, but have been concentrating on the city itself.

Gandwarf
09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Good to see you coming back to this project. Like I said before, I love the delta.
The houses look much, much better now.

Steel General
09-09-2009, 07:49 PM
The grass is a little to yellow for my tastes, but other than that it's coming along nicely.

landorl
09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm not too happy with the background at all right now. Once I get the city mapped, I will go back and redo the land and water to get a little better look (at least I hope it looks better)

landorl
10-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, I haven't done an update in a couple of weeks. I was working pretty well on this, and then got knocked flat by the flu. I'm over it and back to work.

This is my latest update, and I am very happy with how it is coming together. I will still be redoing the waterways and a lot of the background, but for now it is doing better.

landorl
10-14-2009, 01:00 PM
More progress on the map. This city is huge! I have never mapped one this big before.

mearrin69
10-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Looking pretty good so far. I like what you've got going on with the canals and harbors. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

I notice there are some transparentish land pixels in your waterways from when you erased them out (I'm assuming here). My experience with my city map has taught me that these can become a real PITA when you start texturing things. I solved it by going in and creating a mask (I used red) at full opacity and then saving that as a selection. Then you can invert it and delete the stuff you don't want and load the selection whenever you want to paint over that part of the landscape, even on a different layer. I have saved selections for land, trees, buildings, etc. Bit of a pain but it beats erasing stuff by hand later. Maybe you already have a technique for this but I thought I'd offer up what I had discovered.
M

Juggernaut1981
10-14-2009, 08:29 PM
The grass is a little to yellow for my tastes, but other than that it's coming along nicely.

You should come to Australia, we have entire states of yellow grass and not of the nice handy wheat variety... :P

Steel General
10-15-2009, 07:59 AM
You should come to Australia, we have entire states of yellow grass and not of the nice handy wheat variety... :P

You pay for the ticket and I'd be happy to come and visit and see the nice, yellow grass. :P

landorl
10-22-2009, 02:38 PM
More progress. I have all of the east and south of the "new city" complete. Now I just have the north bank to do. I cleaned up some of my canals. After I finish with the buildings, I will go in and try some different shading for the water and the land background.

I am hoping that by next week I will have this finished as this city is about to become a major part of a campaign that we are in.

landorl
10-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Ok, I have all of the buildings in place now. The next step is to work on the background. I want to change the overall look of the background, so I will experiment with different colors and textures. Hopefully I will have some samples by the end of the weekend. I now have enough to use it for my game.

Juggernaut1981
10-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah dude, I do agree with SG... the "snot green grass" isn't much to look at...

landorl
10-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Ok, now for some bigger changes. I have changed the water and am pretty happy with it. I have also done the grass, and am liking it more, but will be doing some more tweaking.

I have also updated my city walls, and trees. I like the trees much better this way.

In the south, I am experimenting with changing the building styles. Tell me what you think of the buildings in the southern village. The lighter colored ones represent thatch roofs, and the brown colored ones are wood shingles.

Steel General
10-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Yes, that shade of grass is much better.

landorl
10-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Now I am experimenting with different building styles. I am pretty happy with this, but wanted to see what others thought.

philipstephen
10-30-2009, 07:33 PM
I think your map looks fantastic.

The shapes look great for your buildings, but the colours seem too saturated for my taste. I would mute them or grey them up or tone them down a bit.

But that is just my subjective opinion.

Phil.

Ascension
10-30-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm with Phil here, tone down the colors a tad so that they don't stand out so much. It's like they're saying "Hey, look at me". Not a whole lot but a tad. Again, my opinion as well.

mearrin69
10-31-2009, 03:10 AM
That is looking good, though. Was wondering what you were going to do with the buildings. Love to see it zoomed out (I know, most people want to see it zoomed in! :))

What are the roundish things in the walled area? Tents? Yurts?
M

landorl
10-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Grain silos. The only reason that I zoomed in that close is because that was all that I have done so far. I am working on the rest of the city now.

Gandwarf
10-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Wow, that detail is fantastic... the layout looks convincing and I like how you worked in some green patches and trees. Looks very convincing.

landorl
05-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I haven't posted anything on this in a while because I was mad at myself. I had done a lot of work to get the city almost finished, and then I was converting a large area over to a smart object, and my computer froze up, so I lost all of my work (about 5 hours worth). I can't believe that I was such an idiot that I didn't save my work. So I set this aside for a while, but I am back on the job now and wanted to post the latest WIP.

landorl
05-28-2010, 06:18 PM
One more option I thought of. I am using the background that I created in Photoshop, and imported it into CC3 and used the CD3 symbols to map the city. I think I like this, but wanted some other opinions.

alizarine
05-29-2010, 06:06 AM
I like how this is progressing! I particularly like the overall shape of the city, and the level of detail and amount of work going into this are paying off. Personally, the buildings, cobbled roads and walls seem a bit sharp in contrast with the softer background, but you did mention you'll be working on the background at the very end. I do like the shapes of the buildings and just studying this map is teaching me a whole lot about placement, but the colors are feeling a bit too varied - unless the people living there really like a wide variety of roof colors or those colors are just for the map to differentiate between types of buildings, I don't really think there would be that many different colors. Not for roofs anyway. Definitely like how this is coming along, though!

- Alizarine

Katto
05-29-2010, 10:23 AM
That looks great. I can't understand why you switch your city from PS to CC3, but you will have your reasons. Be careful with CC3, there the city is very large. I had problems with my last city, which had about 1050 buildings plus walls etc. CC3 crashed very often.

landorl
05-29-2010, 03:13 PM
I have noticed that. I have about 500 buildings in it right now, and I have to make sure that I save it often because it has crashed a couple of times. I may end up giving up on CC3 and just doing the whole thing in Photoshop. It is a lot easier to add the buildings in CC3 though, and they look pretty good.

landorl
05-29-2010, 10:30 PM
A little bit of an update. I have a lot of the Northeastern portion of the city done in CC3.

Gandwarf
05-31-2010, 11:41 AM
This is turning into a fine city. I really like those big cities :)
One comment: I think the docks in the War Harbor might need an additional effect, to give the impression they have some height?

landorl
06-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Another updated. I have the southern part of the city in. I need to redo the streets because the effect isn't working as well as I would like, but I will do that later.

As far as the wharfs are concerned, I have been planning to do something with them, but I just haven't figured out what I want to do yet, but they do need a little "something".

I am also starting to run into some file size issues. I tried to save the whole map as a jpg, but if I have the resolution very high, then it is freezing up and crashing. I will probably end up saving it in sections and pasting it together, or using some sort of image print driver.

Katto
06-11-2010, 02:57 PM
I enjoy every update you post landorl! I think granaries is spelled with one 'n'.
CC3 is an enigma: it often says "no response" in the title bar, but is still working (and sometimes not). What resolution do you call very high?

landorl
06-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I have been trying 3200x2400 which isn't huge. I've done that with other maps, but I think it is a combination of the map itself being quite large with all of the buildings that are in the map, and then with the fairly big conversion, I just think that the whole thing ends up being too much. I have gotten it to work, but not with the effects turned on.

Katto
06-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I had the same problem with my last city map. Each time I turned on the effects and tried to export it, CC3 crashed mostly in the last rendering pass. By accident I figured out that I don't have to switch to other tasks (even the explorer). Better to not even move the mouse :). With this method I managed to export a 6000px map, even when CC3 send the no response message. (btw, always make backups with large maps before the file gets corrupt).
Edit: What are the dimensions of the imported background pic?

landorl
06-18-2010, 05:07 PM
The file is pretty big. As far as I can tell, you can only use a BMP for the background. The file is 5,100 x 3300 pixels, and is 48MB in size.

Here is the most recent update. I figured out that if I print it using a PDF printer (PDF995), I can then convert it to a JPG and it works fine that way. I was hoping to have this done by now, but I have been pretty busy with work. I think it will be done in another couple of days.

landorl
07-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Getting closer all of the time! I was out of town for a couple of weeks, so not a lot posted recently.

All of the buildings inside the city are finished, and I am putting in some fields and villages. I can almost smell the finish line!

Gidde
07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Lookin good, keep it up!

Katto
07-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Looks very nice. Please don't add too many fields.