PDA

View Full Version : Fully Rendered Buildings and Textures

BlackLotus
10-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Here are a number of fully rendered buildings that I used in my Temple of Ka Mon Ra Module. Also I will include a few of my textures that I made in photoshop during the weekend.

joćo paulo
10-22-2008, 07:47 AM
This is g:):)d! Post more of these here.

BlackLotus
10-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Everything that I'm posting here is free to use without any limitations. Now I'm going to show you a number of textures that I made in Photoshop last weekend.
Please Enjoy and use these elements with your own maps if you wish to do so.

More to Come Please Stand By! :)

Redrobes
10-22-2008, 08:13 PM
These are really great. Are you able to get the renders without any perspective on them as they would look a little warped when more than one were placed next to each other from having multiple viewpoints for the items.

I'll add some rep tho... :)

BlackLotus
10-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Each Building is a 3D object being viewed from above. So the perspective on each building maybe a little off from each other. But they look great together on a map.

BlackLotus
11-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Here are a few more textures that I created in Photoshop using some online Tutorials!

RPMiller
11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm currently looking for some of these items so thank you very much!

Can you post the objects without the black background though? I can probably remove the background with PhotoShop's background eraser, but since there are black areas in the objects themselves it will be rough.

Regarding the renders, if you use a top down orthogonal camera that would remove the perspective and make them a little less jarring when rotated at different angles.

BlackLotus
11-19-2008, 06:29 PM
RPMiller, use the Magnetic Lasso and trace around each building and then copy it to your clipboard to be used in your map. Okay, I hope this helps a little. Now back to my Doctor Who Marathon....

RPMiller
11-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Yea, I'm fully versed in most PS techniques. I would likely use the Pen rather than the lasso much more accurate in my opinion and doesn't have aliasing issues. Was just hoping you could save everyone some time by rerendering. I was actually more interested in the Palm Tree than the buildings. Which season of Doctor Who are you watching?

RPMiller
11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
I cleaned up the palm tree a little. It needed just way too much work to make it as perfect as I would like, but it will do for now.

BlackLotus
11-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Did you use select color range? That's what I used and I got it almost perfect. Season 4 of Doctor Who, just got the disk set.

BlackLotus
11-25-2008, 01:57 AM
In Photoshop use your Magic Wand tool. Set your tolerance to 75, then select contiguous. Left click within the colored area of the palm tree then Drag towards the bottom corner of the object that you are selecting. Do this a few times to insure that you have selected the entire palm tree! Copy the selected object on to the clipboard, then paste the object on a new layer.

Okay this should help!

RPMiller
11-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Can I ask why you don't just post a palm tree with a transparent background? If you are doing it anyway, I don't quite understand why you don't make it easy on the members to use your stuff if you are offering it for their use.

I bought a palm tree model over the weekend that I'll be using so don't need the above, but thank you for the tips/techniques. I used the technique in my previous post and as you can see it didn't work very well for me. It could be the lower resolution of the image or something not sure.

BlackLotus
11-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Here is the palm tree copied on to a transparent layer. Sorry, I did know that this site supported Photoshop documents. Okay, the picture is somewhat messed up; however, if you are using Firefox you can open it directly into Photoshop itself. The picture itself will be intact if you do this.

BlackLotus
11-25-2008, 01:05 PM
I discovered the problem! The JPEG files were all mangled into a lower resolution picture file. So now I'm uploading all picture files inside a zip folder. All the picture files will be in TGA format at full resolution. Use these files within the ZIP folder for your map elements.

RPMiller
11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
I appreciate all the extra effort BL! Thanks!

I would recommend just using a PNG though and calling it done. File size is going to be lower and resolution should be the same since it is lossless. Not everyone is going to be able to handle a TGA, not to mention a TGA doesn't resolve the original problem which is the background that needs to be cropped out. Is your 3D application not able to export to a PNG or a format that supports alpha channel?

BlackLotus
11-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Sorry, I use a very old 3D Program called Imagine. The people who created Imagine at Impulse had recommended to render the image files in Targa format or TGA. Right now anyone can pickup a copy of Imagine at www.Imagine3D.org if anyone is interested. Right now 3D studio Max is too expensive for me to afford and I rather not use any pirated software.

Redrobes
11-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Wow is Imagine3D still going ? Amazing. I remember using that on the Amiga what... 20 years ago ! I hope its better now than it used to be. Used to crash continuously.

BlackLotus
11-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Red, sorry to says this but the company that produced Imagine went out of business about 5 years ago. The software is now Public Domain, free for anyone to grab. Although,it's rather old it is still a very powerful tool that should not ignored. The only thing wrong with it is that the toolset needs a complete over-haul to compete with today's software packages. The rendering engine itself is nearly flawless. Version 1.0 Imagine on the Amiga had alot of bugs, which have been all corrected in the most recent updates.