PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Zaephyr

Weero
10-22-2008, 01:45 PM
This is the first(unfinished) part of what is to become my home brewed campaign world Zaephyr(thank you for the name, Luca Turilli!). This particular region lies on the continental peninsula of Anaroth, which is a part of another supercontinent I have yet to name.

The region this map is depicting is about 2000km in length both ways, if anyone asks.

And yes, I'm using Terraficta for photoshop. :P

I'm still a bit uncertain about the rivers, thinking they shouldn't all start in the mountains.

If there is anything else you think I could improve, I would love to hear it!

torstan
10-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Good start so far. I'd try to break up the green texture you've got for the grasslands. I can't imagine that the climate is the same over a 2000 km wide area so I'd expect there to be variations in the foliage and thus in colour. Also, for that scale the mountains are huge! But I realise they are representations rather than actual mountains. I'd also try to blend the bases of the mountains into the surroundings a bit more.

jfrazierjr
10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Good start so far. I'd try to break up the green texture you've got for the grasslands. I can't imagine that the climate is the same over a 2000 km wide area so I'd expect there to be variations in the foliage and thus in colour. Also, for that scale the mountains are huge! But I realise they are representations rather than actual mountains. I'd also try to blend the bases of the mountains into the surroundings a bit more.

What he said...Nice start....

Steel General
10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Looking forward to seeing where this goes... I need to check out that Terraficta stuff sometime too.

Weero
10-24-2008, 09:46 AM

Yes, the "mountains" are indeed representations. I'm planning to mark individual peaks with a triangle, and the height in meters. For now I'm just focusing on the middle area of this map, adding things on the fringes as I get ideas.

Moving on, here is the newest version with your suggested(or tried) changes.
You'll notice I've added a bit more to the map as well.

jfrazierjr
10-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Take off the emboss or what ever bevel effect you used on the forests. It looks rather "ugh" to me.

For the mountains, did you bump map the colored layer directly? How did you create the mountains? I assume you are doing something similar to RobA's mountains video tutorial?

torstan
10-24-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure the emboss is 'ugh', but I would suggest that it be toned down a little. Also, there seems to be a bit of a drop shadow on the mountains that makes them look a little like they are floating? I'd definitely suggest placing the mountains beneath the grass layer and then using a layer mask on the grass layer to reveal the mountains. If you use a soft edged brush then the edges of the mountains should blend into the grasslands.

Weero
10-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Hmmm...I think I might just remake the map, using your suggested techniques, since I haven't really gotten far in making the map(I can easily redo it). Additionally, I'm still unsure about the style I want for the map. =/

Besides, I still haven't started the campaign with my group yet.

torstan
10-24-2008, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't go that far at all. Its a good functional map so far that does the job well. If you don't have the grass and mountains on separate layers then there are a number of ways of getting the same effect I mentioned. There's no reason to throw away what you've already got.

Weero
10-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Actually, I've been thinking about the mountains, and the more and more I look at them, I feel like I have to shrink them or something.

Besides, even if I start anew, I love doing this! :D

torstan
10-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Oh, well that's a relief. I'll be very interested to see how future developments of this map come along.

Ascension
10-24-2008, 04:42 PM
I like the forests and lil hills...shrinking down the mountains might help them fit in better but you'd need more peaks n stuff. I like it, but I'm weird so take it for what it's worth ;)

Weero
10-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Maybe I could add some snow to indicate peaks and such...?

torstan
10-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Have a try and see what it looks like. I think the one thing you are guaranteed is that there will be people chipping in with opinions!

Weero
06-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Well, I have been away from the general Internets for while now, working out real life problems, in effect not giving me much time for mapmaking at all. That coupled with my D&D group falling apart because of their RL requiring more attention pretty much destroyed my zeal for making Zaephyr.

But new times are afoot! Sun, summer, and loads of free time! I hereby present the newly made first mountainrange of New Zaephyr!

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

By the way, the sea and landmass are currently undecided regarding colour and texture. I kind of want them to fit well with the mountains.

edit: The scale of this part of the map is about 3000 miles across from top to bottom.

Weero
06-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Well, here's the entire world of Zaephyr, with some more mountain ranges in the making (still haven't gone to work on all the mountain layers to make them stand out more). The land and sea are still undecided on colour and texture, though I'm trying out one for the land now, though it still seems too..."cheery"?
I still haven't gotten as far as to decide where the different climates go either...

Oh, and if anyone wonders how I made those mountains, I used a mix of the technique from this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4405) thread (with a bit of a personal tweak), and I used a seamless heightmap from this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5057) thread as a texture.

Weero
06-09-2009, 07:37 AM
These mountains are forever to get down...and I still haven't begun on the other two continents! 3

Oh well, here's an update nonetheless.

Ascension
06-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Looks good so far.

Weero
06-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Alright, another update!

I thought the main continent was a bit too big, so I decided to split it into two and have it sorta like the Suez Canal connecting the Mediterranean and the Indian ocean, only without the artificially made part. <.<

I'm trying out a texture for the oceans, but it doesn't seem to tile right at some places, and any attempt at making it a pattern in photoshop only makes it more blatantly obvious.

The mountains are slowly getting there, though I have toned a few areas a bit down.

I've also added the water texture I've used, in case anyone can turn it into something tileable.

Ascension
06-10-2009, 08:21 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is that the ocean seems too detailed compared to the land right now...my eye keeps getting drawn to the ocean. That will persist until the land gets more work. Once the land is done then you can reassess your ocean so I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. If you do want to to tone it down some, for the time being, then I'd take out an airbrush and paint over the open spaces and leave the detail around the coast (on a new layer of course).

Weero
06-11-2009, 08:58 AM
I airbrushed the open waters with a deep blue colours, and it alleviated the tiling problem a bit (as well as your concerns, I hope, Ascension).

Will try to get some more work in on it in the weekend (got "forced" into a little trip by some friends :P ).

jfrazierjr
06-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I really dig the detail in the mountains shape and the texture you used. Are you using a layer mask to make the mountain shape come through?

Weero
06-11-2009, 11:51 AM
I really dig the detail in the mountains shape and the texture you used. Are you using a layer mask to make the mountain shape come through?

No, I simply used a tileable heightmap from this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5057) thread as a texture. I'm still planning to further define the mountains with about two more layers.

I love pattern mapping. =)

jfrazierjr
06-11-2009, 12:04 PM
No, I simply used a tileable heightmap from this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5057) thread as a texture. I'm still planning to further define the mountains with about two more layers.

I love pattern mapping. =)

Would you mind posting up your psd or xcf file? I would love to take look at how you did the layers to accomplish this effect.

Weero
06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Would you mind posting up your psd or xcf file? I would love to take look at how you did the layers to accomplish this effect.

Sure, though it's not anything special.

(the file size is lowered by alot)
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=bdb05342fc1f23a5e7c82ed4b8f0c380e04e75f6 e8ebb871

Weero
06-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Alright, updating now.

As you can see I decided to get rid of any kind of texture for the oceans and just went with a simple cloud rendering, noise and gaussian blur. Trying out another ground texture as well.

Alecthar
06-18-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm not particularly digging the sea that way. To me it draws the eye too much, and it gives a really odd sense about your ocean, with very deep sections dotted across it semi-randomly, some occurring right offshore.

My suggestion would be to borrow a technique RobA uses in the artistic regional map. Take a basic mask of your landmasses, blur it a lot, then map your deep sea and shallow sea colors to it on a gradient. You get shallow seas near landmasses, and progressively deeper seas farther out.