PDA

View Full Version : The Iake Isles

Greyweather
10-25-2008, 10:02 PM
This is my first complete map, which was done a few years ago. I am just now taking up cartography again, but wanted to post this as a milestone to see how I might improve with future maps. Anyway, I didn't think it was too bad for a first endeavor. It was done entirely in Photoshop 7.0, but unfortunately, I did not save any earlier drafts.

Iake is a northern island, boasting one large whaling town. I used the whale watermark to illustrate this feature. It was a free clipart image, which I modified and faded out. I also attempted to convey this 'cold' environment by adding white frost highlights to various areas and by using a snowflake as a compass rose.

Please feel free to comment and offer suggestions/advice for improvement. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from this site and have that knowledge reflect future projects. Thanks!!

joćo paulo
10-25-2008, 10:44 PM
good start, try the less artificial as you can8)

I liked the whale:twisted:

RobA
10-25-2008, 11:11 PM
First map?!!!?!!

Artistically it is brilliant! I wish my 100th map looked so nice!

There is a small (cough cough) river issue...search the forums for "river violation"...

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
10-25-2008, 11:48 PM
This is my first complete map, which was done a few years ago. I am just now taking up cartography again, but wanted to post this as a milestone to see how I might improve with future maps. Anyway, I didn't think it was too bad for a first endeavor. It was done entirely in Photoshop 7.0, but unfortunately, I did not save any earlier drafts.

Iake is a northern island, boasting one large whaling town. I used the whale watermark to illustrate this feature. It was a free clipart image, which I modified and faded out. I also attempted to convey this 'cold' environment by adding white frost highlights to various areas and by using a snowflake as a compass rose.

Please feel free to comment and offer suggestions/advice for improvement. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from this site and have that knowledge reflect future projects. Thanks!!

Beautiful work! Can't wait to see more of your work!

Have some rep!

Steel General
10-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Very nice, infinitely better than my first postings.

The only "ding" on it has already been pointed out by our resident Aquatic Anomaly Patrolman. :)

Ascension
10-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Put me down as amazed as well, this is a very nice map.

Jkaen
10-27-2008, 08:44 AM
I agree its very nice, especially for a first, my main grumble has already been picked up by the river police

Redrobes
10-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, superb. I noticed the odd river thing too but love the mountains and names. And we need more henges on this site too. Must remember to do a good henge at some point.

You have an 8:1 rep to post ratio ! Let me try to increase that...

ravells
10-27-2008, 04:02 PM
A real beauty. Simple and effective and all the elements work really well with each other.

Sigurd
10-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Very pleasing, nice map.

Your mountains and forest are nicely done and well balanced. I'm not hipped on the placement of your whale but I'm lusting after your rose.

Where did you get your compass rose?

Sigurd

Greyweather
10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive comments! As I said, this map was done a few years ago, so I've learned a bit since then (and even more since joining this forum!). I'm hoping future projects will reflect this knowledge and some improvements will shine through. And Sigurd, the compass rose for this map was really simple. I found a basic snowflake image and added a filter to break it up a little, another one to emboss the edges and finally some soft colour and white near the edges for the "frost" effect. As simple as it is, I thought a snowflake made a perfect compass rose!

torstan
10-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I'll chip in too. This is a lovely map. Did you draw the whale yourself?