PDA

View Full Version : Meteor mining colony

Ascension
10-27-2008, 12:23 AM
I've never tried anything "techy" or modern or "spacey" so I thought I'd give it a try. Spent the afternoon and night coming up with this...a mining colony on an asteroid. Tips, pointers, raves, critiques, etc. are always welcomed :) All in Photoshop by yours truly, except the font, which is Alexis.

Sagenlicht
10-27-2008, 05:36 AM
wow Ascension, that meteor looks great :) Any chances you could write a short tutorial how you did that? I would really like to know it :)

Absinth
10-27-2008, 07:05 AM
This meteor is awesome, Ascension! It's unbelieveable what you're able to do with PS! It's great! This one deserves a spotlight in the cartographer's choice forum!

jfrazierjr
10-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Great work!

Steel General
10-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Excellent job!

I dub thee newly repped! *bonk*

Jkaen
10-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Very nice, only real comment is that some of the transport tubeways seem overly jagged. I can understand the idea of following contours to a degree, but I think its slightly overdone.

Other than that its great.

mmmmmpig
10-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Maybe add some symbols for what is available at each hub? Depends on what the purpose of the map is really. Overall I like how it looks, and the asteroid is pretty badass.

ravells
10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Gorgeous work, Ascension!

Ascension
10-27-2008, 06:04 PM
As far as a tut goes, it's the same stuff I always do but with browns and ambers instead of greens for the land and mountains. That tut is in the tut section called something like "making a continent in photoshop". There are 3 mountain layers so that's a lil different, but the overall 3d feel comes from just applying a black and amber bevel and some brown inner glow to the main land layer with some extra black airbrushing for shadowing the underneath. I made up a scrambly texture to overlay the whole thing and there's no way I could ever reproduce that since I was wearing my mad scientist hat (notice that there appears to be some greenish tree-like stuff in the lower parts).

I should probably find me a tut for making a better planet (again my usual method but when done I flattened all the layers there and used the distort > spherize filter to give it some roundness) but I wanted it to be more muted so that it doesn't attract too much focus away from the asteroid, the original was much nicer before I grayed it up. The starfield is pretty easy. Black layer, render noise (20%), enlarge 400%, copy the layer and set to multiply, copy again and set to vivid light, then put a very colorful pattern overlay on to make some stars red or blue or green etc. The dust cloud is just airbrushing.

Ya know, after all of this explaining...maybe I will put this in a tut :) Ok, off to write it up now.

Map Vandal
10-29-2008, 01:01 PM
This is truly a unique idea. I love the result.

someguy
11-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Wow, cool, Inspires me to write a supplement book on asteroid mining.

Turgenev
11-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Very nice Ascension! Consider yourself repped. I will have to use this map in a SF game at some point. I've saved it for future use.