PDA

View Full Version : First post

Shaz1
10-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi guys, this is my first post on this site.

I have been playing around with mapping, particularly for fantasy settings, for several years now. However, I only really started doing so digitally in the past two years.

The following map was started in Gimp, using RobA's method, with a few tweaks. I then touched it up in Photoshop, which I am more familiar with. It is a closeup of a section on a larger map, focusing on the central regions of a large empire.

Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

Oh, and in case I decide to ever make any money from my work, I retain the rights and ownership of this map and all associated works.

Thanks!

torstan
10-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Now that's a lovely first map. I particularly like the river system in the SE.

You've got some strange edge effects going on around the coastline - not sure what's causing these. I'd also say that some of the detail is too small to be clear - a number of the rivers blend a little too much into the texture of the land.

Great first map - have some rep!

Jkaen
10-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree nice in general, I like your font choice, but the coastline does appear a bit wierd

Shaz1
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Now that's a lovely first map. I particularly like the river system in the SE.

You've got some strange edge effects going on around the coastline - not sure what's causing these. I'd also say that some of the detail is too small to be clear - a number of the rivers blend a little too much into the texture of the land.

Great first map - have some rep!

Thanks for the comments and the rep.

I think the effects along the coast were caused when I used the watercolour filter in PS. That gives the map its artistic effect, so I'm not sure how to do it without causing the coast to look like that. Not that I mind too much, I somewhat like the dark outline, and the price is certainly worth it. I'm going for functional beauty more than technical accuracy here.

If someone knows a way to get around this, however, I'd certainly give it a try.

As for the rivers, once again, this is caused by the watercolour filter. Not sure what to do there, either..

Thanks again.

Shaz

NeonKnight
10-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Great Map.

Now, who's stealing my limelight of being the first Repper for the newbs?

Jkaen
10-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I am not familiar with PS but can you not use masks to protect against the filter for the coast / river?

torstan
10-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Sorry NK :)

I'm also not a PS person. However if you walk through the steps for using the filter, we may well be able to help. My guess is that you are applying the watercolour filter to a layer with the land or the water on it. If so, you should be able to duplicate the water layer to make the rivers more prominent.

Ascension
10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Just copy the water and put it on top before applying the filter to the land, that should hide the odd stroking...but personally, I like it so I wouldn't change it either (I like the more artsy look anyways). Nice job.

Steel General
10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Very nice - has a bit of an atlas-like quality to it.

Eilathen
10-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Nice map! I like the style. I hope you'll show us the whole map soon?!

Shaz1
10-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Nice map! I like the style. I hope you'll show us the whole map soon?!

Thanks! I appreciate the positive feedback.

I'm not sure I can post the whole map. It's rather large, and in reducing it to a postable size, I'd probably have to reduce the image quality to such an extent that it would ruin it.

However, I'm happy to post more sections in the future. I'm currently working on a close up of one of the cities. Its my first serious try at a town/city map, so its requiring some experimentation. Once it's done, I'll post it, tool.

Shaz