PDA

View Full Version : Random mapping fun

jfrazierjr
10-29-2008, 11:40 PM
B/W fun... Nothing real, but playing with GIMP and various tools/settings.

I am going to finish this probably early next week sometime...

Karro
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Interesting, so far. I look forward to seeing more. How did you do what you've got so far?

I wish I could say I was going to "finish something next week".... but I have no more than 2 hours a week to work on mapping :(

Anyway, good luck.

NeonKnight
10-30-2008, 04:57 PM
It is indeed interesting.

jfrazierjr
10-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Interesting, so far. I look forward to seeing more. How did you do what you've got so far?

I wish I could say I was going to "finish something next week".... but I have no more than 2 hours a week to work on mapping :(

Anyway, good luck.

Pretty much followed the tutorial on Santhria.com. Steps so far :

New image
Image->Mode->Greyscale
Grey background(70% or so)
New layer
Trace outline in around 70% grey or whatever other way you want to generate a land mass
Big airbrush around 30% grey (mostly white) making sure to go OUTSIDE the landmass lines a bit
Select the Landmasses
Save channel
New Layer
the Tutorial said to Airbrush (60% grey) manually the outlines to get the "inner" areas dark around the outline of the shore, but being lazy, I stroked the Selection with the Airbrush several times with a bit of jitter and Brush dynamics turned on.
Smudge the lines toward the inside of the landmass somewhat randomly to get some color variation.
Apply a layer mask if the layer with the stroke went outside the lines (into the sea part)

Next up is mountains... Perhaps Saturday night.

jfrazierjr
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
OK.. here is an update.. Not really sure I dig the mountains... but wanna get some opinions before I do more mountains... Might try ISO style mountains in the next day or three on a copy of my xcf file.

torstan
11-03-2008, 05:08 PM
I'd be interested to see what that looks like with the black lines exchanged for white. At the moment the black lines are a little too dominant.

jfrazierjr
11-03-2008, 09:27 PM
I'd be interested to see what that looks like with the black lines exchanged for white. At the moment the black lines are a little too dominant.

Hmmm .... not sure what you mean. Anyway... I played around and made some more painterly looking mountains. Big pain in ass and took way too long a time, but very nice looking I think.

Gowienczyk
11-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't really like how thickly smooth the lineart seems.

Steel General
11-04-2008, 07:15 AM
I like the painterly mountains Joe - reminds me of something from a Ralph Bakshi film.

Not sure whether they fit the map though, to me eyes the perspective appears 'off' somehow, but that's probably just me.

jfrazierjr
11-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I like the painterly mountains Joe - reminds me of something from a Ralph Bakshi film.

Not sure whether they fit the map though, to me eyes the perspective appears 'off' somehow, but that's probably just me.

Yea... I know what you mean.. I LOVE the mountains by them selves(I need to make some brushes out of them), but I think I made them a bit largish for this map given the "continent" or island type scale. Of course, I really have no set scale as of yet, so perhaps that's just poopooing...

The only problem with this technique is that it is WAY tiring to both arms and eyes. I zoom in to 400%, etch in my initial shape and some general color on each side and then many minutes of smudging for each mountain. What I really want to figure out is how to do mountains in the style of the Manthria map. I am soooo drooling over that map....oh well... I will keep trying....

CC_JAR
11-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Wow.. awesome mountains..

though even if you did have scale, how would you make the perspective work? even if you distorted the landmasses shape, it would still look flat wouldn't it?