PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Redmond Washington, USA

David
10-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Hello,

My name is David. As I mentioned in the title, I live in Redmond Washington, USA. I'm 41 years old (or soon will be at any rate) I've been an avid gamer, artist, and fantasy cartographer (for personal use only) for the better part of 30 years. I live with my girlfriend, her six year old daughter (I call her my daughter just because she’s never seen her father), and our two and a half year old son.

I haven't been using my artistic skills as much in the last 10 years as I used to, however, I've recently been laid off work and the thought of finding another dead-end warehouse job just isn't all that exciting. With that said, I'm dusting off my portfolio, updating it some, brushing up on my GIMP skills (no pun intended) and getting ready to find an exhilarating career in game development as an 2d artist, if there’s any positions left that is.

I stumbled across the Cartographer Guild this evening while searching for a mapping tutorial for GIMP. I think, and yes the memory is the first thing to go, I have visited this site before but this is the first time I've joined and posted. I'll be muddling together a fantasy map in the coming weeks to add to my portfolio. If I create it in GIMP I'll post a daily progress report and let you guys see just how rusty I am.

Does anyone happen to know of a sight like this for fantasy artwork, Dragons, Orcs, ect.....?

Thanks all,

David

David
10-30-2008, 04:06 AM
OK, I felt a little compelled to post some kind of map so .......... Yah......

Here it is.

David
10-30-2008, 04:07 AM
hhmmm that didn't work..........

David
10-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Ok well heres the link anyway. Have a look if you want.

http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=floormap1ki7.jpg

Steel General
10-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Since you posted a map right away (even though it didn't quite work), let me banish your Blue Pip of Shame. *bonk*

NeonKnight
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Since you posted a map right away (even though it didn't quite work), let me banish your Blue Pip of Shame. *bonk*

THIEF! I Copyrighted the Concept of BLUE PIP 'o' SHAME!

Anyways, welcome David!

NeonKnight
10-30-2008, 10:53 AM
David I attached the map for you.

Not sure if you were aware, but you can attach maps through the attach feature. We support the common formats: JPG, BMP, PNG as well as ZIP, PDF and WORD I believe

RobA
10-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi David.

I like that grungy look you achieved in the map.

-Rob A>

Steel General
10-30-2008, 12:32 PM
THIEF! I Copyrighted the Concept of BLUE PIP 'o' SHAME!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery NK!

Besides, when a 'phrase' is that good why not use it? :D

David
10-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Steel General

Thank you. What's the "Blue Pip of Shame"

NeonKnight

Not sure if you were aware, but you can attach maps through the attach feature. We support the common formats: JPG, BMP, PNG as well as ZIP, PDF and WORD I believe

Thank you for the attachment. I was using the Insert Image function. Still not sure why it didn't work.

Have you guys considered supporting the .xcf file extension for GIMP. It's a bit large for the internet though so maybe that not a great idea after all.

RobA

Hi David.

I like that grungy look you achieved in the map.

-Rob A>

Honestly, I think I got that from looking at one of the maps on this forum a while back. so, someone here should really get credit for coming up with the look.

Oh I also forgot to mention that I make Celtic Knots. Now lets see if the attachment works for me this time.

NeonKnight
10-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Thank you. What's the "Blue Pip of Shame"

The BLUE PIP 'o' SHAME is what I call the blue REP pip (you have a single green pip right now, I have 2 green pips, etc...) that all newbie's start with that represent 0 REP. I don't like the blue pip, and will rep all new posters so they have a green pip and feel all warm and special.

RobA
10-30-2008, 01:22 PM
And a reminder that you can upload a ZIP, so if you wished to share an XCF file, just zip it up and attach!

-Rob A>

David
10-31-2008, 02:18 AM
Just playing around with this one. Took about 4 hours total. Theres a tut that I saw a while back for mass production of planet maps. I'll play with that one over the weekend. This one used the Mountain Tut from .... hhmm can't remember his name, but he's here at the CG Forums I know that. The only change that I did to his Tut was to reduce pixelation, I grew the selected area and then used Gaussian Blur at 2 pixels.

Still have a very very long way to go though to produce the look and feel of some of the maps I have seen here.

David
10-31-2008, 02:46 AM
Ok that was WAY easier than I thought it would be.

1. Open GIMP.
2. On the Tools Bar next to File you see the Xtns Menu. Open it.
3. Scroll down to Patterns.
4. When Patterns opens, select "Render Map".
5. For your first map, use the defaults. Select OK.
6. GIMP will open a new dock and you'll have a Randomly generated Planetary Map. Not a great one, but still it took you like 30 Seconds.
7. If you want to add it to a Sphere, go to Filters.
8. Select Map/Map Object.
9. Use the Defaults for a quickie.
10. Bingo, your done. (May want to add a black or start field background to spruce it up a bit.)

David
10-31-2008, 03:08 AM
Like this. With a few clouds.

Ascension
10-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Lookin pretty good, but drop the beaches...you'd never see 'em from space. Nice job.

jezelf
10-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi David welcome to the guild!

Good luck with your new career pursuit in game development. Here's some other forums that might help you, not particularly exclusivley fantasy, but you can post that stuff there:

ImagineFX.com (http://www.imaginefx.com/)
conceptart.org (http://conceptart.org/forums/)
cgtalk.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/)

good to have you with us!