PDA

View Full Version : Rivers Look ok?

Sigurd
11-01-2008, 05:04 AM
Just thought I'd enlist the aid of the river police.

This is a continuing slice of my game world, built in Fractal Terrains.

The red square is a ballpark selection of where the more zoomed in map goes.

In the Zoomed in section, what do people think of the rivers?

Any suggestions?

Sigurd

ravells
11-01-2008, 07:19 AM
A couple of bits look too straight over a long distance (e.g. the river in the middle of the south coast) but otherwise they look great to me!

Steel General
11-01-2008, 09:13 AM
I see no aquatic anomalies... :D

landorl
11-01-2008, 09:38 AM
The general flow of the rivers look good and logical, but I would agree that they are a bit too straight in a lot of areas, but that can easily be fixed.

joćo paulo
11-01-2008, 01:16 PM
smooth work Sigurd, it seems everything ok.

Sigurd
11-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the reinforcement :)

Truthfully, I can't take much credit for the rivers. The land was exported from Fractal terrains then erroded in Wilbur. For such a small slice, it started with a whole globe, the erosion does a good job. The straight bits and what sort of look like talon scratches are a less than optimal part of the erosion produced.

I like the over all affect and I'm not sure I'll change for the sake of the too straight bits.

I still haven't seen any other program that creates a simulated world with as much elegance as Fractal Terrains combined with Wilbur.

This is the world I _haven't_ got around to using yet... There's a square in the middle showing the location of the very first picture. Its tiny.

Sigurd

joćo paulo
11-01-2008, 01:41 PM
you used gimp (filter polar distortion) to make this.
Am I right?

jezelf
11-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the reinforcement :)

Truthfully, I can't take much credit for the rivers. The land was exported from Fractal terrains then erroded in Wilbur.

With Wilbur, add in noise before doing the rivers. It's what will create a more natural course. without it you're more likely to get straight lines. see "Fun with Wilbur" tutorial for more details.

Ascension
11-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Joao...it's Fractal Terrains.

Redrobes
11-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah, if you look at my sig theres a keyword index. Look up Fractal Terrain and Wilbur links. Waldronate is a member here and developer of both.

On the Fractal Terrain list there is a link from me. Actually its not by me but a link to waldronates post on doing an FT tutorial. That post is a good read in order to know what to do with it.

The wilbur links have some stuff to do with rivers which might be relevant.

joćo paulo
11-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Joao...it's Fractal Terrains.
Ok, I must learn to read before I write something:oops:
Sorry my bad spelling.