PDA

View Full Version : *** November Challenge - Lost in Space ***

RPMiller
11-03-2008, 05:31 PM
*** November Challenge ***

Lost in Space

Whether you are "Lost in Space", "Pigs in Space", or colonizing the "Spore Universe", what the intrepid space farer really needs is a decent map.

Stealing Gameprinter's words, the challenge this month is to create an orbital map, star-system map or even a quadrant map. A map as large as an entire galaxy, or the immediate environment surrounding a planet or star system.

Not just any old political map... this is intended to be a traveler's map (not a Traveller map) to aid in "getting there", where ever there may be.

Sharpen up your lightstylus, put a fresh coat of paint on the Tardis, and prepare to beam up...

Entries should be in by no later than November 25, 2008.

Good Luck!!

Redrobes
11-03-2008, 05:36 PM
A chart more than an space art scene then ?

Righto Thumbnail entrants list as usual:

### New Challenge Entry:Ascension,3331
### New Challenge Entry:Valarian,3333
### New Challenge Entry:Redrobes,3336
### New Challenge Entry:jfrazierjr,3340
### New Challenge Entry:Steel General,3341
### New Challenge Entry:Map Vandal,3342
### New Challenge Entry:Gamerprinter,3348
### New Challenge Entry:joao paulo,3351
### New Challenge Entry:Sagenlicht,3353
### New Challenge Entry:Antony,3354
### New Challenge Entry:NeonKnight,3355
### New Challenge Entry:Bryguy,3356
### New Challenge Entry:Zanza,3359
### New Challenge Entry:Bohunk,3365
### New Challenge Entry:Korrigan,3366
### New Challenge Entry:rkmase,3370
### New Challenge Entry:ravells,3379
### New Challenge Entry:MGCJerry,3382
### New Challenge Entry:nolgroth,3383
### New Challenge Entry:tcberry,3385
### New Challenge Entry:Darken,3393
### New Challenge Entry:industrygothica,3398
### New Challenge Entry:mmmmmpig,3482
### New Challenge Entry:cereth,3513
### New Challenge Entry:Malakor,3517

RPMiller
11-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Also, we have a special secret / heads up for everyone. Since December happens to be the month of giving we will be running a challenge based on this post for the month of December:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3210

A special thank you to Gamerprinter for his extremely kind and generous offer. We feel that this will be a great way to end the year and give folks something special for their time spent here. :)

töff
11-03-2008, 05:51 PM
OMG, this in the middle of my Map Of The Solar System project? Crap! There's no way I can finish it in time ... *sigh* ... I'm shooting for mid 2009. LOL, well, one day, I'll hit one of these monthly challenges at the right angle, and all shall be joy in my universe.

Redrobes
11-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Would it also be a good idea to take the winning map (or at least a suitable one with a decent solar system described / mapped ) and find a suitable planet on there and have that as the CWBP planet since, as yet, it is still unnamed.

A little extra incentive no ?

ravells
11-03-2008, 06:03 PM
OMG, this in the middle of my Map Of The Solar System project? Crap! There's no way I can finish it in time ... *sigh* ... I'm shooting for mid 2009. LOL, well, one day, I'll hit one of these monthly challenges at the right angle, and all shall be joy in my universe.

Dang! I was kind of hoping you'd leap at this one, Toff. It's right up your space-lane!

Gowienczyk
11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I actually did a spacecharts map (influenced by a Galaxies map I saw, or was it a Trek map...) awhile back, would this qualify?

http://mike1204.deviantart.com/art/Universal-Spacecharts-66619343

Gamerprinter
11-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Awesome, all the way around! One more challenge I get to participate in before the end of the year - as I will abstain from participation in the December challenge, being the prize provider.

I'm honored to be sponsoring the December Challenge.

Good idea on naming the CWBP world from the winning map, RR!

For the November Challenge, I'm thinking a merchant vessel route zig-zagging this portion of the galaxy with insets linked to merchant stops of planetary systems zoomed in. But I'm still playing with the idea.

GP

ravells
11-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I actually did a spacecharts map (influenced by a Galaxies map I saw, or was it a Trek map...) awhile back, would this qualify?

http://mike1204.deviantart.com/art/Universal-Spacecharts-66619343

You've got to draw a new map for the challenge, I'm afraid, Gowienczyk - part of the challenge is that it's done to a one month deadline.

Gowienczyk
11-03-2008, 06:21 PM
You've got to draw a new map for the challenge, I'm afraid, Gowienczyk - part of the challenge is that it's done to a one month deadline.

Fair enough, I might do a new starchart. We'll see.

mmmmmpig
11-03-2008, 06:48 PM
oooooooh how fun

jfrazierjr
11-03-2008, 07:01 PM
one day, I'll hit one of these monthly challenges at the right angle, and all shall be joy in my universe.

When the planets align???? hehe.. sorry... I could not resist.

Redrobes
11-03-2008, 07:03 PM
When the planets align???? hehe.. sorry... I could not resist.

What, you mean a syzygy ? My favourite word in scrabble and hangman heh heh :D

jfrazierjr
11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
What, you mean a syzygy ? My favourite word in scrabble and hangman heh heh :D

Err yea.... I had no idea there was such as word for it, but I am far more surprised by the spelling. I mean damn, how the hell would you even pronounce that????

RobA
11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Err yea.... I had no idea there was such as word for it, but I am far more surprised by the spelling. I mean damn, how the hell would you even pronounce that????

"sy-zy-gy"

:P

seriously, it is "siz-ih-gee"

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
11-03-2008, 07:26 PM
"sy-zy-gy"

:P

seriously, it is "siz-ih-gee"

-Rob A>

What a wisen-hiemer.

Hmmm I just noticed and was wondering if you have an Avatar with with the - and > parts of your sig?

Midgardsormr
11-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I probably won't participate in this one (big surprise), but here's my current project in my Intro to Design class for inspiration:

bryguy
11-03-2008, 11:10 PM
perfect timing! i was actually getting ideas ready for a map like this :)

great minds must think alike tho, cause ascensions project is kinda looking like how i was gonna make mine... oh well, ill see if i can make mine better :D :P

bryguy
11-03-2008, 11:12 PM
oh yea, and just wondering, but if i have like a couple of planets in my map, can i use things that i have learned from tutorials for it? or even planet render scripts? (hehe, i have like 2 locked away somewhere.... and a tutorial or 2 somewhere, otherwise i know how to make like 3 basic planets :) )

Sigurd
11-03-2008, 11:58 PM
syzygy - Scrabble doesn't have enough 'y's.

Bryant - there is some latitude for you to self police. I wouldn't stop yourself from using tutorials - this is why you read them and thats the idea. If you feel like a script or a component gives you an unfair advantage why don't you post a link to the script for others. After that its artistic sense and fair competition as far as I can see.

If people like your stuff posting sources and inspiration is always appreciated.

Sigurd

Antony
11-04-2008, 01:43 AM
I suddenly have all sorts of ideas running through my mind. I'll have to decide if any of them are practical now.

Torq
11-04-2008, 02:10 AM
I've never done a space map before in my life, but I'm keen to give it a burn. I really liked the sort of retro baroque space look created in Lynch's Dune movie (that was all I liked about the film, being an avid fan of the book.) Might try for something along a similar line.

Good luck to all.

Torq

Redrobes
11-04-2008, 06:50 AM
I am probably going to use a lot of scripting to get to my result. And I think using tutorial methods is the idea ! I mean actually using the images from the tuts might not be but the techniques definitely.

Oh and there are blanks in scrabble to sub for one Y.

Steel General
11-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Well not having done a space map before, I was leaning toward not participating in this one. But then I remembered JFJr's challenge to me to somehow include my 'desert' planet (from the past 2 challenges) in this month's challenge.

YOU'RE ON JOE! :D

...Hopefully my entry doesn't suck

Sagenlicht
11-04-2008, 07:09 AM

Yeah JF I couldnt resist to enter that word into wikipedia... every time I stumble across such words I wonder how many other weird words exist to describe things you actually never heard of :)

Oh and not that you really wanted to know it but the german translation would be: Syzygium :)

Redrobes
11-04-2008, 07:31 AM
So your alright with only 2 Y's in German scrabble then :D

bryguy
11-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Bryant - there is some latitude for you to self police. I wouldn't stop yourself from using tutorials - this is why you read them and thats the idea. If you feel like a script or a component gives you an unfair advantage why don't you post a link to the script for others. After that its artistic sense and fair competition as far as I can see.

If people like your stuff posting sources and inspiration is always appreciated.

Sigurd

thanks sigurd :)

heh, only planet type i havent really figured out how to make are gas giants.... i just cant get the hang of them.

mmmmmpig
11-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Well not having done a space map before, I was leaning toward not participating in this one. But then I remembered JFJr's challenge to me to somehow include my 'desert' planet (from the past 2 challenges) in this month's challenge.

YOU'RE ON JOE! :D

...Hopefully my entry doesn't suck

awesome! I can't wait to see this!

Valarian
11-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Would it also be a good idea to take the winning map (or at least a suitable one with a decent solar system described / mapped ) and find a suitable planet on there and have that as the CWBP planet since, as yet, it is still unnamed.

There's also Redrobes' comment about picking the winning map as the system for the CWBP world, so there's two worlds to fit in to the system. Of course, the region from September could just be another area of the CWBP world if two worlds is too much ;)

Korrigan
11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
syzygy - Scrabble doesn't have enough 'y's.

You could do it with white letters ;-)

Anyway, I've never done space maps either, but I'll have a go at it, might be fun !

Steel General
11-04-2008, 12:49 PM
There's also Redrobes' comment about picking the winning map as the system for the CWBP world, so there's two worlds to fit in to the system. Of course, the region from September could just be another area of the CWBP world if two worlds is too much ;)

I wasn't really gearing my entry for the CWBP - especially since it is a desert planet. This is more just a challenge to myself to see if I can tie it in with my ongoing theme without the whole thing looking/sounding cheesy.

NeonKnight
11-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Sweet...Sweet!

jfrazierjr
11-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Though I generally don't like space based mapping, I think I have an idea I wanna try out even though I doubt it will win, it should at least get the non existent award for most nonsensical entry having to do with somewhat realistic like stuff... Details to come...

töff
11-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Dang! I was kind of hoping you'd leap at this one, Toff. It's right up your space-lane!
I'd love to ... but I got one leg over there, one leg bent around back here, and another leg dangling over that-a-way. I'm no no position to leap anywhere. (My loss, no doubts!)

I am still fully on track for finishing my Solar System map, though, and the tour chapters. Just not within the next 25 days. :((

bryguy
11-04-2008, 10:39 PM
another question:

am I aloud to use my some of my previous works for this?

hehe, i already have a 94% idea of what im gonna do, although the sides are gonna be tough, and other parts...... but i better hurry up, since peoples projects keep looking more and more like im planning mine to be! :o

Gamerprinter
11-04-2008, 11:05 PM
If you are using "map objects" that you will place onto your map it is allowed. In many of the past challenges allowances for using pre-created map objects like those you'd find at the Dundjinni Forums. In that light planets, star and other heavenly objects you've done in the past is allowed.

But the spirit of the challenge is to create from scratch, at least that's how I do it.

I'd say, as long as the object you're repurposing isn't your dominant or primary map element, it should be allowable.

GP

bryguy
11-04-2008, 11:21 PM
If you are using "map objects" that you will place onto your map it is allowed. In many of the past challenges allowances for using pre-created map objects like those you'd find at the Dundjinni Forums. In that light planets, star and other heavenly objects you've done in the past is allowed.

But the spirit of the challenge is to create from scratch, at least that's how I do it.

I'd say, as long as the object you're repurposing isn't your dominant or primary map element, it should be allowable.

GP

ok cool. Cause i had like a moon that I had made before that i thought was awesome, and I havent been able to recreate yet, so i was hoping to be able to use that.

p.s. (really random) anybody know how to make black holes :D :?:

RobA
11-04-2008, 11:40 PM
p.s. (really random) anybody know how to make black holes :D :?:

Search the forum for LHC

(smirk) :P

-Rob A>

bryguy
11-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Search the forum for LHC

-Rob A>

huh? lol

oh well, found a couple of tutorials, none of them fitted my needs (one gimp, one photoshop, both found on google :P ) so i kinda sorta blended the two tutlets together to create a pretty cool looking black hole in my opinion :D

oh well, now i have to remember what the heck that had to do with my entry.... speaking of my entry, i better get back to starting working on it ( :lol: )

Steel General
11-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Search the forum for LHC

-Rob A>

I got a good chuckle out of that...

bryguy
11-05-2008, 09:34 AM
I got a good chuckle out of that...

it made no sense to me.... :?: :? :oops:

jfrazierjr
11-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I'll go one better.

Using the Ellipse Selection tool, create a circle
Fill with black
Done

:P:P:P

RobA
11-05-2008, 10:39 AM
it made no sense to me.... :?: :? :oops:

Sorry-

CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator, intended to collide opposing beams of protons or lead ions, each moving at approximately 99.999999% of the speed of light.

There is a thread on it here in the forums.

There has been (pseudo) scientific speculation that it could cause an unstable black hole to form, sucking in the entire planet and ending the world....

-Rob A>

bryguy
11-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Sorry-

CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator, intended to collide opposing beams of protons or lead ions, each moving at approximately 99.999999% of the speed of light.

There is a thread on it here in the forums.

There has been (pseudo) scientific speculation that it could cause an unstable black hole to form, sucking in the entire planet and ending the world....

-Rob A>

oH! ive heard of that!

lol now i get it.... :lol:

@--> jfrazierjr

lol i considered doing that :D

bryguy
11-05-2008, 03:17 PM
oh hey, another question:

can attatchments be animated?

Steel General
11-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I would think an animated .gif would upload OK as long it was within the size limits, not sure if the thumbnail would work or not. Best wait for someone who can give a more definitive answer.

Redrobes
11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Lets just see shall we ?

Edit -- Yup ! Hmm this opens up loads of interesting opportunities... We had a spate of glittering avatars a while back and this month there are star pics... 2 + 2 = ?

bryguy
11-05-2008, 09:30 PM
hmmm... now i seem to be running into problems with my animated .gif when i try to load it....

i start to upload it, and then when its done uploading, instead of listing the ones i have uploaded, it comes up with a "page could not load" window.

the file is like 2mb (in the size limits) and 800x800

mmmmmpig
11-06-2008, 11:11 AM
stoopid life circumstances and work obligations have gotten in the way this month. I am afraid that I will most likely not be participating. Boooo hiss

Steel General
11-06-2008, 01:20 PM
stoopid life circumstances and work obligations have gotten in the way this month. I am afraid that I will most likely not be participating. Boooo hiss

That stinks!

[B]Stupid real-life circumstances...
[end bad homer simpson imitation]

Redrobes
11-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Dont know about large animated files but its showing small animated gifs on the page and with a little hacking I now check the image format type and preserve gifs in the thumbs - see current animated ones (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Nov08.htm) at least for now !

jfrazierjr
11-06-2008, 09:40 PM
For all the challenge entries, please make sure your entry meets all the qualifications of the challenge. I am sure no one would like to be disqualified on a technicality, especially after spending a lot of time and effort.

Sagenlicht
11-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Heh JF, thats why I asked in my challenge entry if I am within the borders of the challenge. As I got no reply so far I assume I am?

Robbie
11-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Sagenlicht, I think your latest WIP puts you a bit more in-line, since now it has map elements on the asteroid.

Usually we leave the interpretation of challenge guideline following up to the voters. But we've been discussing it.

Sagenlicht
11-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Well Arcana,

thanks for the feedback, though I admit I did hope for such words a bit earlier as I asked with my first WiP if its ok what I planned.

While I can understand your argument to let voters judge about being within the challenge rules I am not sure that this works for such wide range challenges as I got a lot of positiv feedback about my idea.

Last but not least I'd like to know whats the difference between my entry and entries that show a single planet like SG's entry. Dont get me wrong, not only I do consider his entry completly valid but in addition I think its a great one. I can really imagine seeing his entry being part of a sci-fi movie or game and he will prolly get one of my votes. I just cant see much difference in the technical aspects. Both entries show a single object with flavor around it. I admit my star coordinates suck atm as I just said Alpha Centauri System and Mining Asteroid 457.3 but I have yet to find out how I actually have to do galactic coordinates.

This being said, I will modify my challenge. I just like to know what I am done wrong so I can avoid it for the next challenges.

Steel General
11-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Actually my entry has also been "questioned" as to whether it completely meets all of the challenge criteria.

Once it was pointed out to me and I re-read the criteria, I agreed that it was missing something. I'm still working on some ideas and I hope to post an update sometime in the next few days.

@Sagenlicht - Thanks for your comments on my entry.

Gamerprinter
11-09-2008, 05:44 PM
I think a great way to do a one planet space map is to show its satelite system, those natural and artificial orbiting bodies with their respective orbits.

You could show important communications, and spy satelites, moons, defense platforms, interplanetary/interstellar orbiting naval ports and other similar useable orbiting platforms.

Just an idea.

GP

nolgroth
11-10-2008, 10:43 PM
How often does the thumbnails script update?

Redrobes
11-11-2008, 06:08 AM
I have to manually run it which I do about once a day or whenever I see significant updates / new entries. I tend to run it several times right near the end of the month too to ensure that were all up to date. The image links to the last image it saw but the person links to the thread so you should look at the thread to see the very latest updates. But I'll run it now.

nolgroth
11-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

NeonKnight
11-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Hmmmm...I'm not on the list of thumbnails :(

Redrobes
11-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Sorry about that. Your on there now :) I can normally keep perfect track of up to about 5 but then new entries start pouring in and my small brain cant cope so glad you mailed. That makes 22 entries so far then. Another respectable month.

NeonKnight
11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
No Prob Rebrobes. I figured it was an oversight, and better to deal with it now than after voting started ;)

Redrobes
11-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Oh yes, definitely mail me if there is an error. I think people start making their mind up throughout the month and finalize it before voting starts. We have had some really good entries for maps at 11th hour when they didn't score well. Vry did one a few months back which was great but got very little so he posted real early next month and won. I am not so sure about this Bell Curve voting thing tho. I don't think starting the WIP thread too early is a disadvantage. Gamerprinter is often first and he has won several times now.

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 02:40 PM
good googly moogly there are a bunch of entries this month.

nolgroth
11-20-2008, 06:17 PM
There are and so many of them are quality entries. If this isn't a close contest, I'll be surprised.

Bedwyr
11-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Do another Sci Fi next time! :)

I'd like to participate but have some school pressures.

Redrobes
11-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Well its nearly time to close entrants for this month so please check your thumbnail image as sometimes people only look at that image instead of the thread. It ought to be correct but its an automated process so there's always a chance of it being wrong.

Sagenlicht
11-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Mine is fine RR :)

One suggestion maybe: if you click on a thumbnail maybe open it in a new tab? Atm I have to do it manually (right click/open in new tab). Dont know what other people prefer though.

Redrobes
11-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Mine is fine RR :)

One suggestion maybe: if you click on a thumbnail maybe open it in a new tab? Atm I have to do it manually (right click/open in new tab). Dont know what other people prefer though.Good call - that's a doddle to do too, about 10 character change I think.

On a similar note I was originally in favor of the vBulletin Light Box but I find that gets in the way too since when you click that X to kill it, it kills off the thread you were looking at. I keep forgetting to click 'back' instead.

Edit - Done !

mmmmmpig
11-25-2008, 09:11 AM
24 entries? wow. another impressive showing

NeonKnight
11-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Hmmmm, it's grabbing the most recent JPG/PSD version of mine, but the THUMB is not the same image. Shame it can't really show the FLASH animation (and I am sure it would consume bandwidth like a bitch) so don;t worry about that.

RobA
11-25-2008, 05:04 PM
On a similar note I was originally in favor of the vBulletin Light Box but I find that gets in the way too since when you click that X to kill it, it kills off the thread you were looking at. I keep forgetting to click 'back' instead.

The lightbox here in the forum for displaying images? I don't get that behaviour. I click the X and only the image closes. (firefox)

-Rob A>

RPMiller
11-25-2008, 05:21 PM
The lightbox here in the forum for displaying images? I don't get that behaviour. I click the X and only the image closes. (firefox)

-Rob A>
Same here.

Sagenlicht
11-25-2008, 05:44 PM

-Rob A>

Same here as well.

If I click once on a thumbnail in a threat the box opens, when I click on that newly opened box a new tab opens with the image and I can browse in the threat again.

nolgroth
11-25-2008, 05:57 PM
All looks good on my end. Thumbnail and pic match.

Gamerprinter
11-25-2008, 09:25 PM
There's only 30 days in November, isn't time to get to voting for this month?

GP

mmmmmpig
11-25-2008, 09:42 PM
What GP said!

mmmmmpig
11-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I suggest we say that voting is over dec 1 no matter when it actually starts. 4 days is still a significant amount of time to come and vote. Shouldn't we be voting?

bryguy
11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
I suggest we say that voting is over dec 1 no matter when it actually starts. 4 days is still a significant amount of time to come and vote. Shouldn't we be voting?

i must agree.

me wants ta vote!

Korrigan
11-26-2008, 01:55 PM
I agree with you, 4 days seems enough but less would maybe be too short...

RPMiller
11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Let the voting begin! :D

Robbie
11-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Wow, I'm pleased to see that there's enough excitement over challenge voting to warrant fickle mob syndrome hehehe. I love you guys!!!