PDA

View Full Version : November Entry: Idiots Guide to the Solar System

Ascension
11-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Here's where I'm at on this. It's just about done, just needs a scale bar :) Kidding. I've got some 3d work to figger out b4 I do anything really important.

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
11-03-2008, 06:49 PM
i would so vote for this! :P

Ascension
11-03-2008, 09:35 PM
OK, here's something more on the serious side. Can't figger out how to make the clouds look voluminous like in the Hubble pics but this aint too bad.

### Latest WIP ###

Antony
11-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Actually if you did the first one as a rock painting with some odd symbols representing the text you would have something suitable for inclusion in a "Are Aliens Amongst Us?" book.

joćo paulo
11-04-2008, 05:47 AM
Excellent start for the challenge this month.

Steel General
11-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Here's where I'm at on this. It's just about done, just needs a scale bar :) Kidding. I've got some 3d work to figger out b4 I do anything really important.

### Latest WIP ###

Ooooohhhhh...SPACEBALLS!

Rovingjack
11-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Ooooohhhhh...SPACEBALLS!

"...oh great there goes the neighborhood."

Ascension
11-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Phew! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who gets my allusions and references. I'm forever having to explain things like ".32 .33 whatever it took", (from Mr. Mom) to the other people who work for me.

jfrazierjr
11-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Errr.. I am confused... please help out a poor idiot....

Ascension
11-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Here's an update. Lots of stuff tweaked and added and lots of stuff still left to do. I had a whole lot of fun making the planets and might put it into a tut (they look real sweet when not scaled down to 5%).

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
11-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Cool stuff, love the nebula!

The text for some of the planets is a bit hard to read. Maybe change the color, or put a dark stroke on it, or something?

Ascension
11-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Here are some of the planets that I made for this: the sun, mercury, earth, and mars. Steel, you can use the mars for Khutaath ;) until I put out the tut sometime in the next few days.

Ascension
11-09-2008, 02:23 AM
Here are some more: venus, the moon, neptune, and pluto. I know the color schemes may not be totally correct -- call it artistic license, call it bad memory, or call it laziness as I didn't want to hunt down the real NASA pics :) Once I get the rings right I'll put up the gas giants. And yes I know pluto was de-planetized and turned into a dwarf planet but I'm one of those of the old faith ;)

ravells
11-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Thos planets are gorgeous, but I especially like the sun, you can almost feel the molten lava sliding around. Was this done in photoshop? A little explanation / tut for the sun would be most welcome, thank'ee kindly!

Bohunk
11-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Great job on the planets, made me go and revisit mine!

Steel General
11-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Steel, you can use the mars for Khutaath ;) until I put out the tut sometime in the next few days.

Believe me it would work great for it - and I actually like it better than the version I currently have in my entry. Excellent work my friend. I think the only thing I might change would be to 'brighten' it up a bit.

Looking forward to seeing that tutorial.

Korrigan
11-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Wow ! Tell us when this tutorial is out ! I wanna know how you did those ^^

MGCJerry
11-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Excellent. This is a great map and I especially love the planets. :)

Ascension
11-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Here's an update. Changed the font again...I never seem to find something I like that also is legible and lends itself to stylizing. So here I'm giving Boost SSI a test drive to see how it looks. The ships are all just pixel art that I doodled up less than 50 pixels across, then heavily stylized (I think the only layer style not used is drop shadow).

### Latest WIP ###

nolgroth
11-12-2008, 06:27 AM
Excellent map. Having the location and disposition of the fleet is a great addition.

Steel General
11-12-2008, 07:09 AM
I think that new font is great, very readable - even at the smaller sizes.

Love the inclusion of the fleet breakdown!

Man this month is gonna be tough to judge, lot's o'fantastic entries so far.

Redrobes
11-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I like the black lines running across the page like a VDU and I do think it works really well on the left side font but I am finding it hard to read the small stuff. The small font characters are made up of about 4 lines of VDU scans which is a bit small really. If the whole image was bigger but with the same res of lines then it would be great. Alternatively, is it possible to have the dark bands less dark on just the text areas as though it were bleeding the phosphor out because of the bright text ? I dont know if that would help or not.

Ascension
11-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback as I know what to work on.

I've considered just dumping the scanlines entirely...if future technologies can use wormholes then they should be able to get rid of scanlines, right? I had em scaled way up at first (500%) then I've scaled em down 50% and might do so again before I'm done, I dunno. BTW, they're just a 1 X 2 pixel pattern of white and medium gray set to color dodge (this brightens up all of the light colors and leaves the darker ones alone so this really helps out my mass of bright clouds).

Alternatively, I've been messin around with a 1-pixel black stroke around the letters in the main viewing screen and it really helps them to stand out so I might take that over into the menus as well. Also all of the lettering is at 50% opacity so I might up that as well. Mainly I'm just thinking about things to put into the image to make it look like a video game (right now I'm doing a buildings menu) and for me the tedium like font legibility and spacing things and frames all comes at the end after I have the look I want.

With all of that said, I gotta remember to work on my fonts and scanlines :)

ravells
11-13-2008, 08:43 AM
This map is now officially delicious! I really like the feel that the scan lines give it, but I'm a sucker for scanlines!

Ascension
11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Here's an update: lots of stuff tweaked but no major additions...still working on building ideas. Aligned, centered, and spaced all the text and images properly, put in the window frames, pattern and color overlays for the window backgrounds, scaled down the scanlines, changed the colors and styles on the text, etc. It's coming along rather nicely now, I think. Might put one more window in the bottom for something, occupations or maybe resources.

### Latest WIP ###

JoeyD473
11-13-2008, 10:51 PM
I really like this mpa ascension

Midgardsormr
11-14-2008, 03:10 AM
Awesome. Makes me want to dig out my Master of Orion discs!

Steel General
11-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Awesome. Makes me want to dig out my Master of Orion discs!

As long as its not MOO III - that was terrible :P. MOO II was fantastic.

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 02:09 PM
There is a whole bunch going on here. very tasty map indeed. Very elegant use of space to shove all that data in very efficiently. Well done.