PDA

View Full Version : More planet goodness

RobA
11-04-2008, 11:26 AM
In light of this month's challenge, here is a link with some inspirational photoshop tutorials:

http://www.solarvoyager.com/tutorials.asp

I like the gas giant one...

Modified for gimp, with a bit of embellishment on the BG got me this:

-Rob A>

ravells
11-04-2008, 12:23 PM
What an utterly fantastic find, Rob! I wish I could rep you ten times for this!

Steel General
11-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I "stumbled" accross that one myself and thought it quite good.

RPMiller
11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Darth_Gimp posted that link earlier this year:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1657&highlight=solarvoyager

There are some other good links in that thread as well. :)

RobA
11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Darth_Gimp posted that link earlier this year:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1657&highlight=solarvoyager

There are some other good links in that thread as well. :)

My Bad :(

Anyway - played a bit more with the rings and asteroid tutorials there...

-Rob A>

RPMiller
11-04-2008, 02:31 PM
That's looking mighty fine.

Ascension
11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Wonderful...why couldn't I find this when I was doing my mining colony? Nice find.

Gamerprinter
11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Nice tut link, RobA - have some REP!

I was searching for a Galaxy Generator, on a whim and found this liink. The software is rather interesting, but I don't know what to do with it. If I could do a screen capture, it might be worthwhile, but I'd want to get rid of the text at the top right of the view.

Its a realtime generator with a sprite 3D viewer that moves to where you place the mouse or use the short-cut keys to navigate the system.

The goal was to create a realistic, real-time galaxy with a 1000 billion stars and 4 light years between stars - closer near the core.

It looks very cool, but as I said, I don't know what to do with it... got any suggestions on how to take of advantage of this app?

GP

real-time galaxy generator (http://dmytry.pandromeda.com/galaxy/index.html)

RobA
11-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Doesn't run on my machine :(

-Rob A>

Gamerprinter
11-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Instead of running the application file, run the initbat file instead, it should run, that's how I got it to work on my system.

GP

RobA
11-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Tried that. machine went 100%cpu and it reported a framerate of 0.017 FPS before I managed to close it.

I'm running a Turion64x2 with 2GB ram.

-Rob A>

Redrobes
11-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Rob Rob Rob... you need to fix up that graphics chip cos this is excellent !

I have a movie of several cut scenes done on it. I was trudging though my email and looking at todays CG threads and hit this one and productivity fell off a cliff. You can loose half an hour of your life playing with this. Its great.

www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/General/GalaxySim/galaxy_xvid.avi

Usual xvid codec issues apply - i.e. use vlc to view if you have to. Obviously at 20 or so frames per sec its a bit faster and smoother than the 2 or 3 that cam studio captures at.

By the fact that your CPU went to 100% and 0.1fps you are using the software renderer. I dont know if this is OpenGL or DirectX but its your graphics card driver thats not functioning right. You may have a 2D only chip like onboard video or something like that which would be a shame. If you think it should go faster then mail me.

Rep heading over to GM for this. :)

Edit -- Ah its OpenGL which is what I use a lot too. Theres also some other goodies on his page. One is a volumetric renderer for clouds which are the best clouds I have ever seen and also a terrain and erosion simulator so this is all jolly interesting really. If your stopping by Monks - how do these compare with TG2's clouds ?

Edit2 - GM I just read your post too. There is supposed to be a screen capture by pressing the 'C' key. Also I would imagine that the usual "print screen" button would work too.

monks
11-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh it's that man again Dmytry- yep seen his work. He did some work for Pandromeda (MojoWorld)- I don't think he's attached to them (anymore?) though. Planetside were trying to head-hunt him but he's an independent...maybe for obvious reasons.

monks