PDA

View Full Version : Background Noise or Silence?

Gowienczyk
11-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Perhaps this topic has been done, but it was on my mind and I thought I'd bring it up while I'm working off and on my third draft of Tromania. But, back to the subject matter:

Mapmakers, General Artists and you folk. Do you prefer to have silence when working or background noise. For me it's the latter. For example, I'm currently listening to A Desolation Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGlbFdvgius) at this moment. It's giving me some decent background motivation and it's helping me push along.

But what about you?

ravells
11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm a silence person.

Steel General
11-04-2008, 12:36 PM
I prefer music in the background, when possible. It doesn't have to be loud, just enough so I can hear it.

Gowienczyk
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I prefer music in the background, when possible. It doesn't have to be loud, just enough so I can hear it.

I prefer when it's distant when I'm working, to be honest.

Gamerprinter
11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
The music is in my head and I can't get it out!!!

Naw, I work in silence - I can't hear me talking to myself with that damn music on, wait what did I say... damn music. ;)

GP

xv43
11-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I tend to put a television show from hulu on and work with that in the background.

When I was younger, we had an experiment in a class where we took timed math tests once with silence and once with the person next to you talking at you the entire time... it was supposed to show us the value of doing your homework without distractions, but I actually did better with the person talking at me ;)

Turgenev
11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I voted for background noise (music or TV) but I've been known to work to both. It all depends on my mood at the time and if I'm too lazy to change the CD/DVD/Record that was playing. ;)

Midgardsormr
11-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I like a little bit of "white noise," but nothing coherent. If there's music playing, I tend to listen to it, and that distracts me from what I'm doing. TV is even worse. I do often have a solitaire game or a web page open when I'm working on the computer, though, so I can give my brain and my eyes a rest from time to time. I just have to be careful not to switch over to it too often, or I never get anything done.

Redrobes
11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't get the choice usually !

@Midgard
I am a bit of a Jean Michel Jarre fan and he does a variety of stuff some of which is great and other is - lets be frank here - total rubbish. But the good makes up for the bad in spades. Anyway, there is an album he did called "Waiting for Cousteau" which was almost universally lambasted and when I heard it first I though how bad it is. Apart from a few (pretty naff) tracks one (the filler as far as I can tell) is basically a 45 minute track of synth scuba bubbly noises with not much going on. Well I found a great use for it when I put it on revising for exams and such. Unnoticed by me I had great attention span but as soon as the track ended it went silent and then all the background noise kicks in which invariably is songs with a beat, TV programs, sirens, ect - i.e. all stuff which is well distracting again. So there's my top tip.

Ascension
11-04-2008, 05:19 PM
For my real work I design and make stained glass windows. There I select the proper music to set the mood for me to help me get the look I want. I put on my headphones and get lost for a few hours...Mozart always gives me swirly looking things and Beethoven gives me bold things and rock/metal gives me new ideas to apply to the standard stuff. When it's time to put a window together I listen to CNN or History Channel. At home where I draw for fun I turn on some sporting event every night and listen to the TV (rather than watch it) as I draw/map/game 'cuz I already know what I'm going to do and am just relaxing. In both cases, when I get stumped and really need to think my way through things I need the quiet.

NeonKnight
11-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I need something, anything in the back ground (well, not Country Music, so ALMOST anything :))

Rovingjack
11-04-2008, 10:02 PM
I'd say that either works for me. It's more about motion for me. I tend to set up a zone for myself and get a bit territorial about it, if somebody is in that zone it bothers me, and if they are talking to me without reguard for the personal space around me (even if it's to yell from another room) it can bother me. But as long as I'm ignored and no direct attempts are made to engage me I'm good.

However there are times that a mood setter or a work rythme are appreciated. Like this mapping challenge I have a definate idea to work with and while I hadn't thought about it before I'm now thinking that the song Space Lion from the cowboy bebop soundtrack could really make it move faster and excite my creativity centers.

Turgenev
11-04-2008, 11:42 PM
However there are times that a mood setter or a work rythme are appreciated. Like this mapping challenge I have a definate idea to work with and while I hadn't thought about it before I'm now thinking that the song Space Lion from the cowboy bebop soundtrack could really make it move faster and excite my creativity centers.

Oooooo... good song and a great soundtrack! I also have the third Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, Blue, which is also great background music.

Dracontes
11-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm ambivalent about it so I'd rather comment and not vote. When doing verbal stuff having anything on with people talking tends to annoy me to no end. When drawing I'm rather partial to turning the radio on. My musical tastes? Rather eclectic since beggars can't be choosers: I can go from Classical (Beethoven's 9th) to Pop (Mika's Lollipop) with some punk fado (Deolinda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq1j-Dq11WQ)) in between 8) Of course after a few hours I have to put down the headphones and go for a walk :P

torstan
11-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Classical or jazz when working on something tricky. Pop when working on something dull and repetitive.

Gowienczyk
11-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I need something, anything in the back ground (well, not Country Music, so ALMOST anything :))

I dunno, a song like Black Soul Choir or The Boy Who Hoed Corn would be fun to map to.

Rovingjack
11-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Oh that's right I forgot to mention my some what ecclectic tastes. I have a large collection of early ninties rock, on cd, I have bostons classical music station on the radio, an a substantial collection of Irish folk and pop music all over the place.
I've got some Eva Cassidy (her time after time and feilds of gold are awe enspiring) Loreena McCennet (sp?) I especiially like bonny portmour, and mummers dance), a few Enya (boadica is good for the darker or brooding ideas).

It's funny that there are occasional moment where I'm sitting on my matress on the floor reading Neitzche, with Vivaldies seasons playing on the radio and I have this realisation that... I'm not normal. I mean I know I'm not normal but you suddenly just realise how differant you are.

Like walking through corn mazes with my six year old neice, and discussing the plaques that have clues and trivia on them, you find yourself admitting you have a favorite marsupial. Or on a discussion of symbols and art you admit you have a favorite platonic solid.

I'm not normal ... and I think I'm okay with that.

I'm ambivalent about it so I'd rather comment and not vote. When doing verbal stuff having anything on with people talking tends to annoy me to no end. When drawing I'm rather partial to turning the radio on. My musical tastes? Rather eclectic since beggars can't be choosers: I can go from Classical (Beethoven's 9th) to Pop (Mika's Lollipop) with some punk fado (Deolinda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq1j-Dq11WQ)) in between 8) Of course after a few hours I have to put down the headphones and go for a walk :P

Gowienczyk
11-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Oh, this is about electicy now?

Some of my favorite genres include hip-hop, post-hardcore, alternative rock, chiptunes, ambient, neofolk, noise rock, power metal, symphonic music, pop and progressive rock. I don't mind some world music every now and then either.

Heh.

WHAT MIKE LIKES: http://www.last.fm/user/gowienczyk, warning though; my about me is a bit egotistical and pretentious. ;)

Korrigan
11-06-2008, 01:34 AM
I definitely need music to help me focus on whatever I'm working on... I have a part of my mind that goes here and there so it prevents me from looking through the window all the time and so on...

I have rather eclectic tastes so it ranges from rock, metal, electronic music and so on to traditionnal medieval music, to weird thing such as Fantomas, Mr Bungle and the like...

When doing the dishwashing I usualy put on some ska punk things, when working it's usualy rock 'n roll oldies or psychobilly and so on. When mapping, well... depends on the map ;)

RPMiller
11-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Generally I prefer silence as there are already too many noises/conversations going in my head, but if I'm not working on something that requires a lot of concentration or problem solving I like to have a little noise in the background generally music.

MGCJerry
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I usually work with some background noise, mostly some music. There are some occasions though, where I work in absolute silence but not often.

The background noise is usually just some music and even then, it varies depending on what I'm working on.