PDA

View Full Version : November Entry: Galactic Planetary Directory: Khuutath

Steel General
11-04-2008, 04:33 PM
This is a placeholder for now, may have something more in the next day or two....

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
11-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Ascension's and now yours.... this vote is going to be tough!

Steel General
11-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah but he hand drew his, so I think that trumps me... :D

Ascension
11-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Hand drawn maps rule!!!

Steel General
11-05-2008, 12:21 PM
OK, so here we go...I may or may not write up some little "story" to go along with this one. We'll have to see.

### Latest WIP ###

Sagenlicht
11-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Thats a real nice entry SG :) Looks great

Steel General
11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks Sage... After looking at it again, I see a few inconsistencies that I'll need to clean up - but they are pretty minor.

Redrobes
11-05-2008, 08:52 PM
This is an challenge entry thread yes ? Can a CL add the November Entry bit to the title ?

Steel General
11-05-2008, 10:18 PM
This is an challenge entry thread yes ? Can a CL add the November Entry bit to the title ?

Ooops! Sorry 'bout that...

jfrazierjr
11-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Ooops! Sorry 'bout that...
Renamed...

Steel General
11-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Renamed...

Thank you sir...

Steel General
11-10-2008, 12:50 PM
OK...here's a bit of an update. Added a small map of the galaxy with a few reference points, and rearranged/resized some of the text.

I may try out Ascension's fantastic plantet/sun/moon tutorial and see if I come up with something better than what I currently have.

### Latest WIP ###

nolgroth
11-10-2008, 02:35 PM
This is a nice looking piece Steel General. Wow.

ravells
11-10-2008, 02:39 PM
That little inset of the Galaxy really completes the work. Lovely work, SG!

Steel General
11-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Sagenlicht
11-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Nice addition SG :)

Ascension
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Yep, this one looks done...and good. I'm not wild about the bumpy blue frame but that's just my opinion. Otherwise this is top-notch. Nice job.

Steel General
11-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Yep, this one looks done...and good. I'm not wild about the bumpy blue frame but that's just my opinion. Otherwise this is top-notch. Nice job.

Thanks... I agree with you somewhat about the frame, not exactly what I wanted to do but I haven't found any tut's/examples of what I truly wanted. I may play around with it some still and if I don't come up with anything better, I'll leave it as is.

jfrazierjr
11-10-2008, 09:36 PM
That little inset of the Galaxy really completes the work. Lovely work, SG!

What Ravells said.

Steel General
11-11-2008, 03:59 PM
OK here's another version...I changed the "interface console" a bit, still not exactly what I wanted, but closer.

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
11-11-2008, 05:10 PM
nooooooooo! from the looks of it, you found a tutorial i found for making your galaxy!

but you need a good core ;)

looks great dude! keep up the good work!

nolgroth
11-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Like the new "console" border.

Steel General
11-12-2008, 08:11 AM
nooooooooo! from the looks of it, you found a tutorial i found for making your galaxy!

but you need a good core ;)

looks great dude! keep up the good work!

@Bryguy - yup same tutorial - I think some of the "roundness" of the galaxy core got lost when I resized the image.

bryguy
11-12-2008, 10:08 AM
@Bryguy - yup same tutorial - I think some of the "roundness" of the galaxy core got lost when I resized the image.

yea looks like it to me.... but it still looks good :)

Steel General
11-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Ok, here's another, slightly different version. I re-did the planet to make it look less "orangey" and more dirty, dusty, and worn out.

### Latest WIP ###

jfrazierjr
11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Ok, here's another, slightly different version. I re-did the planet to make it look less "orangey" and more dirty, dusty, and worn out.

### Latest WIP ###

This is a dustbowl(dried up oceans) planet right? if so, your land/silt sea transitions are a bit to sharp in my opinion. Of course, if they were all deep water harbors with shear cliffs before the ocean dried up, then that would explain it also...

Steel General
11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
This is a dustbowl(dried up oceans) planet right? if so, your land/silt sea transitions are a bit to sharp in my opinion. Of course, if they were all deep water harbors with shear cliffs before the ocean dried up, then that would explain it also...

No, I think you're right...the transition is bit sudden, not sure why it did that. I used Ascensions tutorial on planet making (with my own gradient sets), maybe I missed a step or have an incorrect setting somewhere. I'll go back through it again and see if I can't figure out where it went wrong.

EDIT: It almost appears as though there's a dark shadow or a bevel that shouldn't be there.

Steel General
11-12-2008, 03:54 PM
OK, reworked the planet again... I think it is much better now - more how I wanted it dry, dusty, dead-looking...

### Laatest WIP ###

nolgroth
11-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Oooh. That perks things up nicely.

Ascension
11-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah, that looks really good now that the shadow is gone. Nice.

ravells
11-13-2008, 09:58 AM
I love the composition. This month is going to be a helluva tough vote.

Ascension
11-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I'm with Ravs, this one looks well done. It reminds me of something like a Wiki of the future for the planet Khuutath. Nice job. I'd bonk thee, but it seems I have already done so recently.

Steel General
11-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I'm with Ravs, this one looks well done. It reminds me of something like a Wiki of the future for the planet Khuutath. Nice job. I'd bonk thee, but it seems I have already done so recently.

You know I never thought about it like that, but I guess it is kinda like a WIKI :)

I did notice a problem with the "Imperial Sigil" in the upper left. So I redid it, changing it a bit.

### Latest WIP ###

nolgroth
11-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Man, this map just keeps getting better and better looking. Well done.

Sagenlicht
11-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Hmm I like the idea about Khuutath, so I decided to add some fan content for your challenge :)

Here is my version of Khuutath (yeah I know it lacks the continents) and a moon for Khuutath ;)

Hehe now thats fun :)

Bedwyr
11-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Steel, I like the image. It could just about pass for a new Master of Orion encyclopedia entry.

The text, though, isn't all that readable. The glow runs all the letters together and the black typeface, even with the glow, doesn't stand out from the background.

I'd suggest concentrating on doing your art inside the typeface. Beveling, texturing, etc inside rather than outside. That way the font lines remain clear. If you use an outside glow (no outside bevels), use a very subtle, soft effect to offset it from the background... like a drop shadow of sorts.

Trek's LCARS interface, for example, doesn't use any effects. Just various pastel colors against black or black against pastel.

And FWIW, I actually liked the original planet the best <embarrased>. It reminded me the most of Dune.

edit: I could see the font working as is, but against a background of the same color as the glow/bevel. That way it would look a little like one of those plastic label makers. Though your theme would start to take on a lower tech feel (maybe put a few patches and scratches on the interface).

Steel General
11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
@Bedwyr - I've been toying with the idea of either dropping the glow on the text or shrinking it down some. I also liked the first planet, but I wanted to match (as closely as I could) the color scheme I had used in my previous challenge maps and the first version was to "yellow/gold", that's why I ended up re-doing it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bedwyr
11-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey it's solid artwork. Just getting you to take it to the next level.

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 02:25 PM
The text is difficult to read at a small size, but it is very readable at a larger size. I wonder if you might get a similar effect that you want with making the text the color of the outer glow and toning the glow waaaay back.

This is really sharp. Really the substantive stuff is done and ready, all that I think you might be doing now is fine-tuning. Great entry and I think it is only going to get better.

Steel General
11-21-2008, 08:44 AM
OK, I've tweaked the text a bit, hopefully this makes it a bit easier to read at smaller sizes.

I think this will most likely be the final version...

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
11-21-2008, 09:13 AM
I think the text works much better this way! Great Map! I hereby release you from your desert theme :P

Ascension
11-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Yep, I can read it easily without even having to zoom...but then I could do that before as well cuz I got a friggin huge monitor ;) Good luck G (SG that is).