PDA

View Full Version : Tromania v3.0 (WIP)

Gowienczyk
11-04-2008, 05:15 PM
So, since I've noticed a lot of you guys have threads according to developing maps as they get finished progressively. I think I was going to do with the next draft of Tromania I've been working on. If you welcomed me, you should of seen the second draft.

Here is what it initially started as:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Mike1204/sketch.png

When I take time on a map, I really plan it out more coherently. The second draft was just me updating it for the wiki I was making. I use the paint brush tool ('B' in Flash Pro Hotkeys Menu) and sorted out some laying. Keeping in mind the second draft, I went planning. Island paths (as I like to think my island production is realistic), rough mountain ranges, the train rail (or Tromanian Line) among other things. Now:

Here is my current progress:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Mike1204/progress1.png

What do you think? :)

If you've seen my Sengia map, you will begin to understand my mapmaking style. I still want tips for how I can make rivers look nice on my map (forests, too; I don't know if a solid color fill for a forest would please me....)

jfrazierjr
11-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Why don't you post your image inline so we can see a thumbnail? When you post, click the Go Advanced button and click the paper click icon. There is even a place where you can select a URL and have it downloaded and turned into a thumbnail for everyone to see.

Gowienczyk
11-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Why don't you post your image inline so we can see a thumbnail? When you post, click the Go Advanced button and click the paper click icon. There is even a place where you can select a URL and have it downloaded and turned into a thumbnail for everyone to see.

Done and Done. Not sure how much I like the attach feature, but ah well.

Karro
11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't know what it is, but there's something about the sketchy preliminary version that I really dig that's just missing from the updated version...

Steel General
11-04-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't know what it is, but there's something about the sketchy preliminary version that I really dig that's just missing from the updated version...

To paraphrase Ascension from another thread... "Hand drawn maps rule!!" :)

Gowienczyk
11-04-2008, 09:05 PM
To paraphrase Ascension from another thread... "Hand drawn maps rule!!" :)

It's not nice for a detailed and extensive map for the GM, though.

:roll:

RobA
11-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Can you explain your method for making the island chain in the lower left? It has a real nice look to it.

Also - what is it you don't like in the attach feature?

Also (while I am asking questions) - why do you set your font so small? :)

-Rob A>

Gowienczyk
11-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Can you explain your method for making the island chain in the lower left? It has a real nice look to it.

Also - what is it you don't like in the attach feature?

Also (while I am asking questions) - why do you set your font so small? :)

-Rob A>

Island: there is a lot of zooming in. For example I set my line thickness at the lowest available and zoom in as far as I can. I draw my islands roughly. No island is perfectly round in reality all the time so I do a lot of it. Make it really dense. But spacial. Zoom out to see if it looks good. Zoom back in and continue. It takes a bit of the memory so make sure to do the islands in a different layer than the other lineart.

Attach: Not sure, just don't seem to find it likable.

Size: I'm a tad OCD and I think smaller font looks more organized.

waldronate
11-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Unfortunately I'm a tad elderly and small fonts just hurt my eyes and keep me from reading your posts effectively. I realize it's a personal problem but the eyestrain carries over for a few messages.

Gowienczyk
11-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Unfortunately I'm a tad elderly and small fonts just hurt my eyes and keep me from reading your posts effectively. I realize it's a personal problem but the eyestrain carries over for a few messages.

Tip:

CTRL +

joćo paulo
11-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I would like to see in HiRes:compass:

eager to see the progress8)

Gowienczyk
11-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Progress: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Mike1204/T3-1.png

Interactive Version: http://mike1204.deviantart.com/art/Tromania-v3or4-102756383

I think I'm finalized, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?

Steel General
11-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Maybe the mountain symbols should be a bit larger? I dunno for some reason they don't seem to mesh well with the rest of the map for me.

But as I am always saying, I'm old and my eyes are bad... :)

Gowienczyk
11-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Maybe the mountain symbols should be a bit larger? I dunno for some reason they don't seem to mesh well with the rest of the map for me.

But as I am always saying, I'm old and my eyes are bad... :)

Depends the resolution. Like if you look at the stock interactive file, the mountains seem to mesh fine. I think, anyway. I had fun with the old roads and new routes though.