PDA

View Full Version : November Entry: Monthly Asteroid Party

Sagenlicht
11-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Hmm like nearly everyone else, this is my very first step into space... well what would a famous intro say? Space... the Final Frontier :)

Anyways, here is my challenge entry. I'll take a different approach and hope I am within the rules of the content :)

I will do a party flyer with the location of the next party. I hope this qualifies as being a travellers map.

Please notice that I havent added the location info yet in my WiP, its supposed to be where the stay tuned placeholder is.

As always I hope for some comments and critiques :)

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
11-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Cool idea, Sagenlight! Reminds me of the January 07 challenge with a spacial twist.

GP

Steel General
11-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Yet another cool and original twist/take...I like it.

Sagenlicht
11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Ok here we go,

here is an update to the WiP :)

I'd like to know if I am allowed to use the Cartographers symbol? I decided to use them to give the flyer a more 'genuine' feeling. If I may not use them I'll replace them.

The Ascension Mining Inc is for Ascensions Asteroid Tutorial :) Even though I wasnt able to follow it in GIMP cause I failed to reproduce his lightning effects (RobA if you are reading this, help!) it gave me an idea how I can do the starfield :)

I hope you like the update, please give me some comments and critiques :)

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
11-06-2008, 09:14 PM
So when I get to the asteroid for this party, where am I supposed to land my ship? I think you need a structure on that asteroid as the party house, unless its inside the asteroid. Still you need a landing port and entry area to get in.

I also think you need to place some shadows especially on the side of the asteroid opposite from the presumed light source, to give a asteroid a more three-dimensional feel.

Looking good so far, though.

GP

Ascension
11-07-2008, 12:05 AM
OO got my vote :)

Steel General
11-07-2008, 06:37 AM
The Ascension Mining Inc is for Ascensions Asteroid Tutorial :) Even though I wasnt able to follow it in GIMP cause I failed to reproduce his lightning effects

I'm pretty sure there is a plug-in/script out there that somewhat approximates the PS Lighting Effects. I searched quite a bit when I was using GIMP and know I found something somewhere - just can't remember exactly where it was.

ravells
11-07-2008, 07:40 AM
It looks great, and I love the idea but IMO it needs something more (although I'm not sure what it is - galactic co-ordinates?) just something to make it a little busier and even more fun.

Sagenlicht
11-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Well this is a rather small update, I tried to get the shadows fixed a bit, I am aware of that problem, though I am unsure I will get it better done than in this try. Its better imo :)

As a second addition I added a spaceship at the bottom. I think adding something there is a nice addition though I am not sure that this spaceship will be the final solution.

@GP
Yes GP, I planned to add a mining colony to the asteroid which of course would solve the landing problem. I am still searching for a minig colony though :? cause I am not able to render one by myself heh. I really wanna learn blender for those things, cause actually when I did my first battlemap (http://www.cartographersguild.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=37592) I noticed that I completly lack the possibilties to add objects on my own and have to use items from dundjinni forums and similar places. Sadly I havent found time to start learning it, but by now RR allready started to post stuff about it, so it will be easier for me to start (or at least I hope so). I highly doubt though I will be able to use blender for this challenge though :) which means I have to find a nice colony I may use for this :)

About the 3D feel and the shadows. I hope its better now?

@SG
Hmm your google-fu is better than mine then, I cant find such a plug-in :(

@ravells
Hmm ravells, about the galactic coordinates. Yep I wanted to use those, but lacking any experience with sci-fi I tried about 1 hour to find out how galactic coordinates look like and what they would be for the Alpha Centauri system I went to bed :P
Actually I hoped the combination by naming Alpha Centauri and giving the asteroid the name 457.3 would be qualifying as a galatic coordinate. Back to google then :)

Anyways even if its only a small update, did it improve?

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
11-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Maybe I can whip one out for you, I'll match your lighting and shadow direction creating a central hub and some outlying structures with piping corridors reaching them from the hub, with a landing zone to one side.

I'll see what I can do tonight and post up a transparent PNG file for you tomorrow. Does that help?

GP

Gamerprinter
11-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Sagenlicht, it just so happens, that I created a space colony map object tonight and posted it in the Map Elements Forum. You know, like the Dundjinni Forums, our own Map Elements Forum is a place you can find things.

You don't have to use it, and if you do you don't have to feel like I created this for you - I just created a map object that's hard to find, that's all! ;)

Here's the link: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=37650#post37650

If you choose to use it, just throw me some REP and we'll call it even!

GP

Sagenlicht
11-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks alot GP :)

Feel hit with my rep stick, though I admit I think it will add only one point :oops:

I'll try to integrate it for sure :)

Sagenlicht
11-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Ok, I played a bit with your colony GP :)

What you ya think? Did I resize it too much?

### Latest WIP ###

Robbie
11-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I gotta tell ya, my DJing skills are goign to need to be brushed up before the party. But I can play the drums!

nice name drop! ;)

Gamerprinter
11-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Place a scale to give viewers of your map an idea on the size of that asteroid, I think that would really put across the line to whether this was a map or illustration.

GP

Steel General
11-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I gotta tell ya, my DJing skills are goign to need to be brushed up before the party. But I can play the drums!

nice name drop! ;)

Your's and mine both, but I can't play the drums worth a damn! :D

Ascension
11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I was a rave DJ in college so I can do that part...gotta get me some new turntables though :)

Sagenlicht
11-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Ok it took me a while to post an update, mainly cause I used some time on the scripting part.

I added a backside of the flyer where I placed some star coordinates. I hope this qualifies now as a valid entry :)

Be warned if you click on the thumbnail and got a slower internet connection... the file got twice as a big now :)

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
11-18-2008, 06:06 PM
The cloud cluster/galaxies in the second one look real nice...might want to expand on that one some more and have it be the main map and the asteroid as a bonus. Time permitting of course :)

Sagenlicht
11-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Hmm Ascension I think the above version will be my final WiP.

Let me explain why:

When I started to work on this month challenge I had about no clue of space and or sci-fi because it never interested me that much. So I feared that this month entry wont be on the same level as my last entries have been.

In the end I have to say while I dont expect to get many votes for my entry as there are some great entries this month (actually I guess this month voting will be one tough choice!) I am pretty much pleased with my result. In addition I learned alot.

I tried to add some twist to the challenge and I came up with the idea of a party flyer. So the first thing I did was that asteroid. I admit that today I know that an asteroid will probably not have the shape I gave it but heh thats what you have to learn. Anyways I really like the way the flyer looks like.

When I came up with the flyer idea I allready planned to do a backside but as a bonus not actually for the challenge. Now my flyer didnt meet all requirements for the challenge so I decided to use the backside for what I think was needed to end up within the rules. Now while doing this backside I allready knew alot more of how actually 'space' is looking about. I guess you can see it :)

But I still like my flyer idea and I wont change it. The backside is still 50% of my entry and I dont think it looks totally off, actually I really can imagine holding that flyer in my hand and turn it around :)

Hmm well as I allready said this month has alot of great entries though I hope I will get at least one vote :)

Ascension
11-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Oh yeah, it's a good idea and twists always seem to garner a bit more attention. And like I always try to stress to people (here or in the real world) it's all about learning and experimenting. Any day I can learn something is a good day. Cheers, mate and good luck.

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Sagenlicht:
Way to push yourself. I like the different take on the challenege and that asteroid is the bees knees.