PDA

View Full Version : November Entry: Guide to the Galaxy

bryguy
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Right now this is just a placeholder. While you wait, Ill just post an image of 2 black holes, both made by me. These will most likely be used in my project :)

Steel General
11-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Very cool...looking forward to seeing more.

bryguy
11-05-2008, 03:56 PM
eh, thought i would add some words to this, while i wait for some help on another thing for my project....

hehe, try and guess what it says!

and since the attachments is refusing to work for me (keeps popping up saying database error) ill post it as a image :)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/bryguy336/hole.gif

Valarian
11-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Well, I recognise the text as Aurek-Besh (Star Wars). The top one has the right number of letters for "Black Hole". If I'm feeling especially geeky later, I may dig out the alphabet sheet I've got and translate.

joćo paulo
11-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Well, I recognise the text as Aurek-Besh (Star Wars). The top one has the right number of letters for "Black Hole". If I'm feeling especially geeky later, I may dig out the alphabet sheet I've got and translate.

shows the translation here

the astronomers had not a better name for that?:P

bryguy
11-06-2008, 09:27 AM
shows the translation here

the astronomers had not a better name for that?:P

actually its not a name, but valarian hit the font and the first line right on the dot :)

its actually a survival tip

it says:

Black Hole
Avoid at all Costs
:lol:

bryguy
11-06-2008, 08:18 PM
hmm... seems like most production on this will be halted till around the middle of november, as the Adobe PS Cs4 trial isnt coming out until around then, and I need some filters from photoshop to be able to make the main part of my entry, and i have tried about all the 50 other possible things, and nothing has worked

i have like one more thing to try, but i cant try that yet....

oh well, i guess ill just work on the overall look if it while i wait.

bryguy
11-07-2008, 11:03 AM
heres another part to my project

hmm.... better start on the main part before i do any more, otherwise ill just have a bunch of images and no Latest WIP :)

bryguy
11-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Okay heres a general outline for the map

The big swirling arms are where the galaxy is gonna be

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
11-11-2008, 05:19 PM
wow its amazing how much you can get done in 10 minutes... although i got this done in about 10 minutes x 10..... :)

so yea the Cs4 trial finally came out, and that helped greatly

heres a link to the tutorial on the galaxy that i used: http://blog.hexagonstar.com/galaxy-tutorial/#

used this one for the gas giant:

http://www.solarvoyager.com/images/tutorials/gasgiant.jpg

and used ascensions tutorial for the sun :)

edit: oops, forgot to show the location that the sun/planets are at.....

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
11-12-2008, 03:02 PM
shoot i knew i shouldnt have gotten started on this project, now i cant stop, im addicted to working on it you could say :D

okay relatively small update, just added squares for the different selection areas, the biggest one is the current one.

Also, just thought I would let you know, this is basically set up as a computer. Click a target area, the bottom screen pops up with the system's objects (planets, asteroids, etc), while the top screen pops up with a picture taken from somewhere in that system. Click one of the planets or objects, and the middle screen pops up with a picture of that object, along with info on it, while if it has any objects orbiting it, those pop up in the bottom screen (click the systems sun, the planets pop up in the bottom screen. Click a planet, the moons pop up, click a moon, nothing pops up, unless there is a space station orbiting it ;) ).

So yea, but now looking at it i forgot to remove the asteroid from whats orbiting the sun... oh well, i can have it that its orbiting the sun :D

first image is the WIP, second is an example of what would happen if you click on the sun :)

shoot the stupid attachments thing is messing up again, and i know for a fact that the file is small enough :x

oh well, ill put them as images

edit: comments and advice are welcome....

### Latest WIP ###

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/bryguy336/GalaxyProject2.png

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/bryguy336/GalaxyProject3.png

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Nice looking stuff. I really love the look of that star and the galaxy. Those look tight. I think on the galaxy map the call out rectangles need to be a bit stronger. They seem to be getting lost in the wash. Pop those bad boys out :)

I am eagerly awaiting you to call this one "done."

bryguy
11-20-2008, 02:18 PM
thanks mmmmmpig :)

Im actually considering making a website for it, although i doubt ill find time :)

ive actually been busy lately, and today i was gonna work on it a little. Maybe add a button, sliders, etc to the terminal part of it, and maybe work on the individual systems :)

bryguy
11-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Okay I added a button and some sliders to this, and unless anybody has any thoughts on how to improve it, I guess its done :)

I put it back to how it would look before you selected a system, if anybody wants, I can change it to show a system

### Latest WIP ###

edit: shoot, stupid attachments STILL arent working

RobA
11-23-2008, 02:36 PM
What are you doing/not doing vis a vis attachments?

What are the steps, and where is it not working?

What is your browser?

What is your image size (dimensions and file size) and type?

-Rob A>

bryguy
11-23-2008, 03:18 PM
What are you doing/not doing vis a vis attachments?

What are the steps, and where is it not working?

What is your browser?

What is your image size (dimensions and file size) and type?

-Rob A>

Im just uploading them..

Click manage attachments, click choose file, then choose my file and hit upload. Its after that that it stops working, cause then the manage attachments screen will either freeze in the middle of loading or finish uploading but then go to an error screen that suggests i refresh, and when i do it takes me to the cartographers guild home page.....

browser? dont really remember what that is... is that like internet browser? I use Safari, and I have a Mac, dont know which you wanted to know :)

Image size is 1000x1000, dont know exactly the file size, it seems each time i look it says a different size, righ tnow it is saying 21.6 MB (and if thats the case, then I know what my problem is) but yesterday it said like 3.8 MB, file type is .png.

mmmmmpig
11-23-2008, 03:21 PM
I have been having the same issues. my file is a jpeg that is only 2.38 Mb in size

ravells
11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
I believe there is an issue where if the image size is too big, the map won't load even if it's within memory tolerances...but I could be wrong.

mmmmmpig
11-23-2008, 06:53 PM
ascension mentioned that as well, but my image depth is only 150 dpi for a 25in x 35in image.... that shouldn't be too big

RobA
11-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Here is the limit.

Limitations
Unfortunately, there are also a couple of limitations. The first is file sizes. The following is a list of the file size limits:

bmp - 7.63 MB
gif - 7.63 MB
jpg - 4.77 MB
png - 4.77 MB

The second limit is the actual image size. The image must be less than 30 megapixels in actual size. If you try to upload a 6000x6000 jpeg that has a file size of only 1MB, it will fail (sometimes with a blank screen, sometimes with a database error depending on the actual size...) as it is 36 megapixels. This limitation is being worked on, and will hopefully be resolved soon.

If your dimensions and size are both less than that, what is your connection speed?

I know that web-servers will timeout if an upload takes too long...

Please PM Arcana with the time you get a failed upload and he can check the logs.

-Rob A>

bryguy
11-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I dont know the exact connection speed (or what exactly that is....), except the i have high speed internet access, and only on one website has it ever timed out, and thats cause that website is programed to.

bryguy
11-24-2008, 09:02 AM
hmm... im gonna try again...

okay finally it works now :D

same changes as I listed before

also, to get it to work I had to take a screenshot of it, which also reduced the size.

### Latest WIP ###