PDA

View Full Version : November Challenge: Zyrcine Cluster

nolgroth
11-09-2008, 07:40 AM
I just stumbled upon the November Challenge and thought; "What the heck? I've been wanting to build a new sector map anyway." This challenge really coincides with what I would like to do anyway so I figured I would stop putting off and try something.

Here is a WIP of the Zyrcine Cluster; a small group of densely packed habitable stars. Perfect for any space opera campaign you may decide to run.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
11-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Yee-hah! More new meat for the grinder.

Great start, looking forward to seeing more of this.

ravells
11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Stunning colours! One suggestion which might improve the 'coolness' factor is using a gradient to colour the numbers along the axes so they seague from one colour to the other over the numbers used....like this:

nolgroth
11-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Yee-hah! More new meet for the grinder.

Great start, looking forward to seeing more of this.Thank you.

nolgroth
11-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Stunning colours! One suggestion which might improve the 'coolness' factor is using a gradient to colour the numbers along the axes so they seague from one colour to the other over the numbers used....like this:Thanks. Interesting idea. Mostly I put the numbers in there as a reference for placing the stars. The different colors arose as an interim solution to using a +/- system, which looked "cluttered."

I'll give it a shot.

nolgroth
11-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Here is an updated WIP. I turned on the 'background" star layer and added some labels and a legend.

One thing I wanted to stick to with this particular project was modularity. Each star is on its own layer, as is the star's label. That way, they can be turned on and off to suit the needs of the individual Game Master. It is also easy to add new stars or remove stars that you don't like. The legend can be toggled as well. For this contest, all that doesn't matter much. Afterward, I will post a Zip file with the XCF (Gimp native format) for y'all to play with.

The background stars are a love/hate thing with me. On one hand, I think they add a lot of beauty to the map. On the other hand, it sort of confuses the scale and makes my OCD scream out. I've settled on the idea that this map is as much an artistic representation as it is a functional map and left them in.

I actually find that I am getting close to the end of the graphical part of this project. I want to try to draw in a trade route. I tried that once already, but it looked nasty. I have some experimenting to do. I may also try a nebula. Not sure about that one yet.

Enjoy.

( That was much longer than I intented. )

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
11-09-2008, 09:51 PM
This looks really nice...I mean really. All except for the number colors (IMO). Might wanna gray 'em up a bit or fade 'em out a bit. The brightness is eye catching and distracting. Otherwise this one looks really nice...I mean really :)

nolgroth
11-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Thank you for the compliment. Regarding the dim numbers, how's this?

### Latest WIP ###

nolgroth
11-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Hmmm. Don't much like the trade route. It isn't bad, but I don't think it adds anything. Out it goes.

( Treating this thread like a dev blog. )

Ascension
11-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Ooo yeah, that's rockin now. Nice job.

nolgroth
11-10-2008, 02:23 AM
Ooo yeah, that's rockin now. Nice job.Thanks. :)

ravells
11-10-2008, 08:02 AM
I kind of liked the numbers bright, it gave it a VDU feel.

Redrobes
11-10-2008, 08:34 AM
This one is real nice generally. Kinda tugs on my vote strings. Its got a nice Christmassy feel to it too. Almost expect reindeer to be traveling through it on their galactic quest. But seriously the stars look like what you might actually see.

nolgroth
11-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I kind of liked the numbers bright, it gave it a VDU feel.The modularity of the XCF files allows for easy adjustment of things like that. When it is done, I plan on posting the XCF for general consumption.

nolgroth
11-10-2008, 01:31 PM
This one is real nice generally. Kinda tugs on my vote strings. Its got a nice Christmassy feel to it too. Almost expect reindeer to be traveling through it on their galactic quest. But seriously the stars look like what you might actually see.I like color. Don't get me wrong, grayscale and muted colors have their place. I have just always wanted to do a color-coded spectral class map. This was my opportunity and I jumped on as quick as I could. Thank you for the positive comments.

nolgroth
11-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Some more fine tuning.

### Latest WIP ###

bryguy
11-11-2008, 12:33 AM
this looks really cool...... and in my opinion, hard to beat :)

just a question, but what program are you using? the stars make me think gimp, as they seem to be what the stars are like that i make in gimp

also, what are the 3 circles in the legend thingy for?

nolgroth
11-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Gimp 2.6.2. Your instincts are right on the money! :)

The three circles are the logo for the Zyrcine faction. I intend to make more maps with the same kind of template. Each one will have a faction logo in the legend. Just for quick reference.

nolgroth
11-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Been tinkering with concepts. Added a black hole, but I am not 100% convinced.

### Latest WIP ###

nolgroth
11-15-2008, 12:53 AM
I think that I have my final entry. There are a bunch of concepts that I have yet to explore, but I think that this map serves the purposes that I wanted. It is extensible and editable (with the XCF file). Layers can be turned on or off to show or conceal specific stars or labels. New stars can be added and if one really wanted to, existing stars can be deleted.

This version adds a glow around the title, a smaller logo, and the addition of the black hole into the legend. In addition to the PNG export, I am also uploading a ZIP file with the GIMP XCF file, a Photshop PSD* file, and a PDF file with information on the steps I took to add stars and labels.

*The PSD file is exported from GIMP, but I was able to successfully open it up in Photoshop Elements 2.0 and it looked identical to the GIMP version.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
11-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Ooo, I'll have to check this out...thanks for the extra formats ( gonna play with the psd :) )

nolgroth
11-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Ooo, I'll have to check this out...thanks for the extra formats ( gonna play with the psd :) )No problem. Gimp supports the format. I see no reason not to make whatever I do accessible to as many people as possible. :)

Ascension
11-15-2008, 10:48 AM
I like that kind of thinking. Sometimes you learn more from just editing something someone else has done and if you can play directly with the original you can learn so much.

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Love the star point symbols. Just the right amount of brightness and glow to them. Well done.

nolgroth
11-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Thank you.