PDA

View Full Version : November Entry: Pocketwatch

Darken
11-10-2008, 03:54 PM
So I'm throwing this together but space is really not my fortey (spelling?)

Anywho, I have a fascination for the steampunk sub-culture. I wanted to make a sort of portable Orrey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orrery) for the space-traveler on the go, so I took the mechanism and shrunk it down to pocket-watch scale. Found a photo of a pocket watch (source (http://www.awco.org/Seminar2002/Complicated/splitchrono5min.htm)) and replaced the time dial with my own solar-system dial.

You have to use some imagination: the little planets would orbit the sun the same way the hands of a clock rotate.

Might add some additional details, but this is pretty much it.
### Latest WIP ###

Korrigan
11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
That is a great idea ! Maybe a couple of details could make it better, though (I think...).

- Did you intentionally left the original background ? If yes, keep it that way but I wonder if another background wouldn't fit better (maybe a simple black bg, or another picture that would emphasize the steampunk look of the whole thing)...

- I think the hands themselves could use a bit more substance. Maybe a "Bevel and Emboss" layer style if you are using PhotoShop... I think it would really help for the realism.

Anyway, great job. Hope my ideas can help...

ravells
11-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Brilliant...maybe an animated gif?

Darken
11-10-2008, 05:53 PM
- Did you intentionally left the original background ? If yes, keep it that way but I wonder if another background wouldn't fit better (maybe a simple black bg, or another picture that would emphasize the steampunk look of the whole thing)...

The background was semi-intentional... I'm worried a background would remove the focus from the subject of the image though: the map. I'll experiment though... maybe something basic like a coridor with copper piping.

- I think the hands themselves could use a bit more substance. Maybe a "Bevel and Emboss" layer style if you are using PhotoShop... I think it would really help for the realism.
Ah, good thinking, I'll add that in. Still new to the whole Photoshop world, especially since I usually do my stuff by hand. I know what I want to do to the image, i just don't always know how.

Brilliant...maybe an animated gif?
The problem with a gif is the size of the image... I'm also not sure of the difficulty involved. But once I finish the look, I'll see what animating would entail.

Ascension
11-10-2008, 06:01 PM
This is another super cool idea...lovin it. I would add a background for the watch face sort of like the Ystraad map but with a brushed metal texture...like a bronze. Then put in a drop shadow of the planets and hands to make them stand up from the face. Lookin sweet so far.

Korrigan
11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
The background was semi-intentional... I'm worried a background would remove the focus from the subject of the image though: the map. I'll experiment though... maybe something basic like a coridor with copper piping.

I'd say use the graphic basics : use color and/or saturation contrast and direction to put the focus where you want it to be. e.g. if you use a black and white background, your watch will naturally be the main element.

Ah, good thinking, I'll add that in. Still new to the whole Photoshop world, especially since I usually do my stuff by hand. I know what I want to do to the image, i just don't always know how.

Lots of tutorials here and anywhere on the web. If you need some help with a specific question, I guess me and some other can help (I'm not that good at mapping but I definitely can use Photoshop ;) )

Darken
11-16-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm trying to learn some basics for 3D studio max in time to try making this in 3D, but I likely won't finish (again :( ).

maybe I'll be ready by next month?

Korrigan
11-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Whoooo-hoooo ! I think it takes more than a few days to learn such basics in 3DSMax ;)

RPMiller
11-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I think to add some more interest and make the pocket watch even more useful for charting a flight path perhaps you could add in some orbit rings like the attached, and maybe put some sort of coordinates around the outside of the "face".

Darken
11-18-2008, 09:44 PM
I think to add some more interest and make the pocket watch even more useful for charting a flight path perhaps you could add in some orbit rings like the attached, and maybe put some sort of coordinates around the outside of the "face".

:!:ah, but the problem with the elliptical orbits is that the hands would have to somehow change size

for those interested though, I'm coming along with my 3DS Max learning: attached are 2 early renders.

The glass is too refractive (bends the light too much); you can see this especially in render2. It should appear as a glass cover over the faceplate, but it is instead acting as a lens... I may have to turn refraction off completely at the loss of some realism.
I'm trying out gems, but I may use a more literal representation of the planets.
Things to finish modeling: clock hands, knob, chain, cover, (faceplate background?, scene background?, additional details?)

[P.S.: Odd :?: the black backgrounds of the PNGs are instead transparent... oh well ;)]

RPMiller
11-18-2008, 09:54 PM
:!:ah, but the problem with the elliptical orbits is that the hands would have to somehow change size

So? We are talking about a fantastical device aren't we? An ellipse can be drawn with two central points and piece of string. If you can do that, surely some futuristic steam punk scientist could create the intricate gearing to make it work.

Don't limit yourself or your imagination. :D

RobA
11-18-2008, 10:29 PM
So? We are talking about a fantastical device aren't we? An ellipse can be drawn with two central points and piece of string. If you can do that, surely some futuristic steam punk scientist could create the intricate gearing to make it work.

Don't limit yourself or your imagination. :D

Don't forget the Double Slider Trammel Ellipse Tracing Linkage (http://kmoddl.library.cornell.edu/model.php?m=272) (gotta love that name!)

...or any of these wacky linkages (http://www.mfdabbs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Maths_Pages/SketchPad_Files/Mechanical_Linkages/Mechanical_Linkages.html)...

-Rob A>

RPMiller
11-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Well there you go then. :D

Darken
11-18-2008, 11:15 PM
well blimey :o... put me in my place why dontchya :P

RPMiller
11-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Only because I see a lot of potential in your entry, and I believe it could be a contender. :D

nolgroth
11-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Only because I see a lot of potential in your entry, and I believe it could be a contender. :DCould be? This thing is great. Reminds me of that old show where the main characters traveled through time with some antique watch looking thingie.

RPMiller
11-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Could be? This thing is great. Reminds me of that old show where the main characters traveled through time with some antique watch looking thingie.
You're talking about Voyagers! That was a fun show from my youth.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083500/

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 01:38 PM
This idea is awesome. I hope you are able to complete it. Honestly I think if you desaturate the colors just a bit in your last version you would have a great inter-stellar traveler's device. That is pretty bad ass.

Darken
11-20-2008, 02:30 PM
GAHH! We've been attack by a massive commenting splurge from (m^5)pig! MAN THE BATTLE STATIONS!

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 02:32 PM
If fewer people would create entry threads I would comment less... :P

Darken
11-20-2008, 02:41 PM
If fewer people would create entry threads I would comment less... :P

If you visited the forum more often, you wouldn't have to do them all at once :P

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Oh I visit often, I just do not have time to post much :P

Darken
11-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Okay, so here it is! I can't believe I finished it in time! (actually, with time to spare).

So it's a pocket watch... at least at first glance. Dim the lights though, and the blue gem in the center projects a 3D hologram of the surrounding space with your location and pathing marked out in green.

Comments? Suggestions? Render requests? let me know!

RPMiller
11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
The dark images are so dark that I can't see anything except for some blue in the hologram.

Darken
11-24-2008, 02:47 PM
The dark images are so dark that I can't see anything except for some blue in the hologram.

ah, let me up the lights a bit then... gimmee like 10 minutes here

[EDIT]
Okay, upped the scene's lights and made the hologram more opaque to combat the brightness increase

also adding my WIP tag :P

### Latest WIP ###

RPMiller
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Times up.

Just kidding. :)

Darken
11-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Times up.

Just kidding. :)

:O

actually, i got it in already as an edit :P scroll up silly goose

RPMiller
11-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Much better! Now just animate it and I'm sold. ;) :D

Darken
11-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Much better! Now just animate it and I'm sold. ;) :D

heh, we'll see...

Ascension
11-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Awesome idea! Might want to brighten up the blues a bit more still...really make 'em glow. Might want to add in something like sunrays coming down from the clouds but in reverse going from the gem up to the planets...like a laser light show thing (but not too bight). Very nice.

Redrobes
11-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I dont know if your monitor is brighter than mine but its very dark. I would think with the tech to make that watch with holograms and all then they ought to be able to fit a decent power light source.

Hand reached down and hits the super luminosity dial...

RPMiller
11-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I dont know if your monitor is brighter than mine but its very dark. I would think with the tech to make that watch with holograms and all then they ought to be able to fit a decent power light source.

Hand reached down and hits the super luminosity dial...
Could point. That would be a bit of a detriment if the navigator/pilot had to turn down the lights whenever he/she/it wanted to use the device. Unless of course it was invented by a species that had some form of Dark Vision or something and couldn't handle anything much brighter...

Bedwyr
11-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Awesome idea! Might want to brighten up the blues a bit more still...really make 'em glow. Might want to add in something like sunrays coming down from the clouds but in reverse going from the gem up to the planets...like a laser light show thing (but not too bight). Very nice.

Agreed on both. The former should create an emissive texture effect to borrow a video game term. The latter would help mentally connect the hologram to the watch/projector.

Darken
11-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Final shots; included the recommended glow (don't ask me why it changes to a pinkish color over the wood...) and volumetric lighting.

Also included is a high def rendering (1080i), zipped so I could post it; just a simple rotation of the camera. It's a DivX avi, so make sure you have a codec that can play it. It's not perfect: the colors are muted, the objects shake around, and the shadows are missing... still worth a look though so you can get an idea of the space.

Thanks everyone for their awesome suggestions!

### Latest WIP ###

RPMiller
11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
The pictures are really dark again. :( I think you are getting the red because it isn't a true glow and instead looks like a lightening layer or something which is strange.

RPMiller
11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
The video is also really dark, but what I could see was very sweet! I love the reflections in on the pocket watch. Very cool.

I was actually hoping more to see the display moving, particularly the little ship icon, but the fly around is good too. :)

Darken
11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
yeah, i'm back home on the desktop and I see what you mean... I'll try transferring the files over and adjust it on this monitor since it seems to match everyone else's better.

I was actually hoping more to see the display moving, particularly the little ship icon, but the fly around is good too. :)

yeah, its the best I can do for now :) I enjoyed working in 3D, so maybe with some more practice we'll get some fancier animations :P

[UPDATE]
Looks like everything switched over nicely (laptop has 3DS Max 9, desktop 3DS Max 2009, was a little worried) and its much more obvious how poor the lighting is. *cracks nuckles* lets see what I can do here.

RPMiller
11-25-2008, 04:45 PM
I've only animated in Poser recently and AutoCAD way back in the early 90s. I really should get back into it again. Maybe after the semester ends...

Good to hear the transfer went smooth. Can't wait to see the changes.

Darken
11-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Ta dah!

pretty much fixed everything that was wrong. RPMiller, I think you were right about the glow; I had it on a sort of "dynamic" mode where it was basing the glow off of the rendered pixel color. That might be nice for other effects, but was messing up my scene. Switched it to a static blue glow, and applied a separate effect for the green glow to differentiate the two.

Also, was able to fix my wobbly video render by converting to a targeted camera so even as it changed position, it would always face the same point. The video also has shadows now, since my desktop set-up has the beef for it. Quality is still kinda meh... but I'm using the free DivX codec which maxes out at 80% quality, so kinda expected it. Total render time: 1 hour, 20 minutes.

And of course, everything brightened up now. If it looks dark, I'm going to guess its you at this point, because this monitor is calibrated from my digital photography :D

[Edit]
Added the "lights on" render from before to keep everything together.

Darken
11-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Just putting the WIP pic in a separate post to ensure its the thumbnail used. Carry on!

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
11-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Yippee!! I can finally see it, very nice!

RobA
11-25-2008, 08:40 PM
That glow looks much better now.

-Rob A>

RPMiller
11-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Looks absolutely wonderful now! Much improved.

Darken
11-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Heh... thanks everybody for the nice comments! As a first foray into 3D work (that wasn't CAD related), I'm relatively pleased. Just glad people are finally able to see what I've been seeing on the laptop all along! :P Seriously though, I'll see if I can't find a contrast or gamma setting on my lappy....

ravells
11-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Very, very nice effect! Great and original work!

Redrobes
11-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah all those look much better to me. Actually looks like a holo image now. Well done they're very good.