PDA

View Full Version : My first finished Digital Map

Lathorien
11-16-2008, 01:39 AM
Well i decided to stop waiting for my grand massive world map to be done and decided to post my first draft that i did of the "Northern" continent to test things for the world map. Its small, about the size of Australia. and the north pole is just off the coast of the small island in the "Sea of Pearls", my world Tu'lorain is a convex discworld, thus it gets warmer as your travel away from the Sea of Pearls in a circular motion. Thus the warmest part of the map is Shilhon Forest. (try putting a compass rose on a discworld map). Anyways there was still lots to do but its "good enough".

Ascension
11-16-2008, 02:22 AM
This is pretty good for a first go. Couple of things tho:
1. Not sure about the rivers flowing from an inland ocean to a lake to an outer ocean...might be a break or continental divide somewhere so that the rivers only flow in or out.
2. With the color of the land, a lighter and tealer blue might look better in the ocean.
3. Forests look great so don't mess with those :)

Steel General
11-16-2008, 09:16 AM
This is coming along nicely so far.

I think my biggest "issues" with it are (not counting the aquatic anomalies already mentioned) that the text is a bit difficult to read in spots, and I wish it was at a higher resolution.

Gandwarf
11-16-2008, 05:26 PM
This is coming along nicely so far.

I think my biggest "issues" with it are (not counting the aquatic anomalies already mentioned) that the text is a bit difficult to read in spots, and I wish it was at a higher resolution.

What he says. I would especially like to see a higher resolution version.

Lathorien
11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Here is a link (i remembered i have this posted on the CBG) to a old draft of the world map that i was using during early world building. It is in higher resolution. However it only shows Geographic regions, and Region/Kingdom Names. Some of which are just place holders. (Any Apologies to using the name "Nippon" for my japan influenced area as a place holder. It will be changed.) However it does show the difference in a disc world with the deserts at the outer edge and the Polar Continent Rhime shown in the previous map.

http://thecbg.org/e107_files/public/1219291400_729_FT43819_cbg.jpg

This Style is SUPER FAST. Using Gimp, do whatever you do for your continent outline. Fill the continent shapes with a gradient (i used radial, most are linear - see Ascensions Tutorials) Use the medium Galaxy Brush that comes with GIMP, Dab to place mountains, keep the edges of rough. Motion Blur (optional) and Bump Map. Forests, use a small round brush (standered brush) max Jitter, use Green, and spray away. Bump Map (or emboss whatever keeps the green colour). You can of course do more, but for quickly building, editing, and rebuilding a map area during World building, its great and fast and all using default GIMP stuff.

Ascension
11-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Interesting idea there about the radial gradient...would seem perfect for looking down from space on the north pole.

torstan
11-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Very pretty first map. Like it a lot.