PDA

View Full Version : November Entry: System Map

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Okay so the Wife and one of the kids went out of town for the weekend, so I am left watching only one of the little ones and he is 5, so he practically watches himself, right? Anyhoo... This weekend I will punch something out for the challenge. Until then, this will be my place holder. I will post pieces parts as they are assembled. This one is going to be a mix between hand work that is retouched digitally and pure digital. I see much of the construction being done in Illustrator and the final work being done in Photoshop.

Cheers

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
11-20-2008, 01:09 PM
the insets for the bottom two portrait insets...

Steel General
11-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Hope you have time to finish this, it looks quite interesting even at this very early stage.

Bedwyr
11-20-2008, 05:12 PM
I detect some Jules Verne/Martian Dreams influences

nolgroth
11-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Oh cool. A late entry. Looking forward to seeing another cool map.

mmmmmpig
11-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Here we go. The page tiling and border are going to be the bears of this process. The map itself should not take nearly as much time. I might widen it to a galaxy map though

I have the mapped information left
Crests and seals
Title blocks
Legend blocks
cartouches and filigris for the upper portion of the map border
shading and painted elements

It is going to be a looooong night

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
11-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm likin' it already.

ravells
11-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Beautiful Border....more please!!!

mmmmmpig
11-22-2008, 12:37 PM
well, last night I was able to get most of the border done.

Things left to do:

Flourishes on the border
Textures and shadows on the border
Find an appropriate font
the actual mapped information (I am still deciding between a galactic map or a solar map)
And I am trying to decide whether or not to weather it

I never realized how much effort filigris was

anyhoo.... I am having some issues uploading the file right now. It is only a 2.62 Mb jpeg, so I don't think it is anything wonky on the file end. I hit the "upload" button on the "manage attachments" dialog and the page just hangs until i get a generic database error. any ideas?

Ascension
11-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Could be the total image size...the system doesn't seem to like anything more than 30 million total pixels (ie 5000 X 6000).

mmmmmpig
11-22-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't think that is it. the image is not that big. somewhere around 18 mil pixels

mmmmmpig
11-23-2008, 02:12 AM
I am going to need to find a better exporting option than what I am using to retain the original detail. What I am doing currently is creating too many artifacts. It is after 2 am here, so that is a problem for another day...

but anyhooo...

here we are.

I need to:
Shade the elements on the border
Texture the planets and moon
Mask the planetary text
Add trade route and exploration routes
Add the asteroid belt

C & C is always welcome

### Latest WIP ###

Redrobes
11-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Its pretty good but I cant get past all the Moire fringing. It was there in the thumb of the last one but when you opened it up it was just about gone with tight concentric circles. This one tho has it even when zoomed. Is it deliberate ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moire_pattern

mmmmmpig
11-23-2008, 09:55 AM
I had to export it with the "anti-alias" option unchecked. that created some data loss and caused more of the Moire (so to speak). Some of the effect is intentional, but not as much as is being shown in this export.

mmmmmpig
11-23-2008, 06:57 PM
okay it let me post this one

interesting...

i will post some info on "where i am in the process" later tonight

### Latest WIP ###

Bedwyr
11-23-2008, 07:35 PM
The effect is fine, I like it. Reminds me of a dollar bill.

Two questions:

1) What tools you use for the line art, pure vector program? I'd be interested to know how you got a nice accurate dashed line outside the border art, whether that was a program function or simply artistic fastidiousness.

2) Brax reminds me of Brack -> Space Ghost Coast to Coast.
"Driving down Highway 40 in my big old pickup truck!"

ravells
11-23-2008, 07:35 PM
utterly, utterly beautiful. I just can't wait to see this finished. It's a stunner. I'd love to know how you did the curvy lines too. It looks like a transform x times with some rotate, but there's something else in there too.

Darken
11-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Absolutely love it. Clean, but with a hand-drawn style (and we know I love hand drawn :) ).

Also, bonus points for making the comet tails point away from the sun and not based on direction of travel!

mmmmmpig
11-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the kudos, guys!

What is left to get done tonight

1. add asteroid belt
2. add trade paths and networks
3. text masking for the planetary and moon labels
4. texture for the planets and moons
5. clean up orbit lines
6. relief shading for the border elements
7. sleep

the hand drawn portraits are the only hand work in the map. everything else has been done in illustrator, but the relief shading will be done in photoshop.

The moire areas are done by creating an interesting line shape. Copy and paste it in place, rotate 1 degree... rinse and repeat. The line thickness is only .25pt, and there is a .25pt dash with 1.5pt space on some of the lines. It is a simple process, although it is tedious.

Bedwyr
11-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Going to add sepia or leave it white?

mmmmmpig
11-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Bedwry:

I will probably look at what a sepia and walnut/black combo might look like, but I think I might keep it B&W. I will look at it and see. I guess after re-reading my answer, I should clarify with a qualified maybe

mmmmmpig
11-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Okay,

All that is left is the relief shadows on the border elements

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
11-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Coming together quite nicely.

ravells
11-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Tastier than chocolate. This definitely has one of my votes. Really, really retro beautiful, gorgeous, superlative.

Ascension
11-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Looks like a treasury note for some future society. Very nicely done.

mmmmmpig
11-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the kudos, mates.

The idea behind this one actually came from a Star Wars mock-up of an "Imperial Credit" (http://diablo2003.deviantart.com/art/Starbuck-67549133) That graphic is completely badass. I tried to approach the same level of badassery, but I know that I came up short, and that is ok because this map has made me better for doing it. There are already some techniques to this one that I will incorporate into my work maps and other pieces that I know how to do better now.

The other idea behind this map was to do it with a single ink in mind, as if it had been done as an intaglio print. The process took a while, but it would have been insanely time consuming by hand. Thank you vector illustration programs. The portraits in the bottom corners really started out the feel of the map. Lots of crosshatching and pen and ink techniques on them. Everything else was done in illustrator. I only pulled it into Photoshop at the end to add the shaded relief of the border elements.

The map is designed to print at an ANSI D size (24 in x 34in) or a 2 x 3. The initial work in PS was done at 200 dpi, but the posted version is only 100 dpi so it would post. Luckily I have a large format printer at work and not very close supervision >:) I will have a hard copy of this one.

As stated before in a previous post, I wanted a bunch of linear elements that started to have some vacillation and moire effects, much like the tight geometric linework of currency and other government documentation.

That is my story and I hope you like the map. C&C is always welcome. I would love to hear what you have to say about this one, because it was quite a departure for me.

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
11-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the kudos, mates.

The idea behind this one actually came from a Star Wars mock-up of an "Imperial Credit" (http://diablo2003.deviantart.com/art/Starbuck-67549133) That graphic is completely badass. I tried to approach the same level of badassery, but I know that I came up short, and that is ok because this map has made me better for doing it. There are already some techniques to this one that I will incorporate into my work maps and other pieces that I know how to do better now.

The other idea behind this map was to do it with a single ink in mind, as if it had been done as an intaglio print. The process took a while, but it would have been insanely time consuming by hand. Thank you vector illustration programs. The portraits in the bottom corners really started out the feel of the map. Lots of crosshatching and pen and ink techniques on them. Everything else was done in illustrator. I only pulled it into Photoshop at the end to add the shaded relief of the border elements.

The map is designed to print at an ANSI D size (24 in x 34in) or a 2 x 3. The initial work in PS was done at 200 dpi, but the posted version is only 100 dpi so it would post. Luckily I have a large format printer at work and not very close supervision >:) I will have a hard copy of this one.

As stated before in a previous post, I wanted a bunch of linear elements that started to have some vacillation and moire effects, much like the tight geometric linework of currency and other government documentation.

That is my story and I hope you like the map. C&C is always welcome. I would love to hear what you have to say about this one, because it was quite a departure for me.

+Edit: attached wrong file

### Latest WIP ###