PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

ajsfranke@gmail.com
11-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi,
My Name is Andrew Franke, I am the creative director of a new gaming and publishing company called Ravensworth. I had hear this was the best place to learn about mapmaking. Please excuse any foolish questions I ask. I will try to educate myself by reading the posts already here.

Gamerprinter
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Welcome Andy! (that's easier to type out!)

Explore the Mapping Software list in the Software Forum, check out the tutorials forum for lots of lessons on map-making, post maps early on, no matter "how bad you think they are" and let us do C&C and get you going in the right direction.

GP

NeonKnight
11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

ravells
11-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Welcome to our corner of the mappyverse!

Steel General
11-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Welcome Aboard!

ajsfranke@gmail.com
11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I am going to take a look around at the mapping software and try to get started. As well as take advantage of the knowledge of some great Cartographers.

It's funny because my Dad was a Cartographer in WWII. Part of a Topo company that made maps for D-day and more. He later became the director of Defense mapping School at Ft. Belvoir Virginia. They didn't have the software back then and I unfortunatley never learned to make maps. I did however learn from him all about scale and how to read all of the different kinds of maps. So when i Joined the marines, I didn't have any trouble with orienteering. :)
Miss my dad still but I think he would be proud of me trying to learn something he loved so much.

Ascension
11-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Ya always do your family proud when trying to learn about something that they liked. My grampa was a WWII vet and he gave me a Japanese bayonet and officer's sword...pretty cool stuff. He was a coal miner and when my gramma moved in with my mom she brought a bunch of his old coal mining stuff so I've been reading his old books (lots of maps) and company newsletters. I think he would be happy knowing that I was interested enough to learn more about what he did, as I'm sure your pops would be. Cheers, mate and glad to have ya here.