PDA

View Full Version : So many cranes!

ravells
11-24-2008, 04:25 PM
I had a meeting on a high floor in a tall building in the city of London this afternoon and got this shot from the waiting room. Seeing the city from this angle reminded me of the 'War of the Worlds'.

Ascension
11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Dang that's a lot of cranes...are they building or tearing down? WotW is spot on.

NeonKnight
11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
I love the differences between the cranes in London and those here in Canada:

http://mattgray.org/photos/crane_sunset.jpg

ravells
11-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Both Building and tearing down. There's so much construction around it's unbelievable. When I got to the meeting room itself, There was a great view of St Pauls, surrounded by cranes, I decided to go through the documents I wanted to see before taking the pic which was a mistake because within 15 minutes I'd lost the light.

Bedwyr
11-24-2008, 07:57 PM
So till now London has been going through a real estate spurt?

RobA
11-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Ravs-

Which Model Pentax Optio did you use to take the shot? Did you crop the shot or is it one of those 4/3 cameras?

-Rob A>

ravells
11-25-2008, 08:15 AM
How on earth did you know I used an Optio?

I used an S5i (it's a little beauty) which I carry around in my pocket for opportunity shots. I cropped the shot in Photoshop and patched up some reflections and marks on the window through which I took it. Also warmed the colours a tad.

For more serious photos I use an Olympus Camedia (old, but the lens is still stunning and 10x optical zoom too for a compact). Last week I went out and got a Nikon D90 with the lens kit which I may ruin on account of drooling over it, but I haven't had a chance to use it properly yet - still learning the menus.

Ravs.

Redrobes
11-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Most DigiCam pics are tagged

File: - london skyline small.jpg

Make - PENTAX Corporation
Model - PENTAX Optio S5i
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72.00
YResolution - 72.00
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
DateTime - 2008:11:24 20:53:03
YCbCrPositioning - Centered
ExifOffset - 288
ExposureTime - 1/250 seconds
FNumber - 4.30
ISOSpeedRatings - 80
ExifVersion - 0220
DateTimeOriginal - 2008:11:24 15:02:26
DateTimeDigitized - 2008:11:24 15:02:26
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 5.50 (bits/pixel)
ExposureBiasValue - -0.33
MaxApertureValue - F 2.64
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
Flash - Not fired, auto mode
FocalLength - 5.80 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 1280
ExifImageHeight - 714
InteroperabilityOffset - 728
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Manual
DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00/0.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 35 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - High
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Distant view

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 854
JpegIFByteCount - 2711

ravells
11-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Wow! How do you get this information from the tag????

It's great to know what ISO, shutterspeed, EV and apeture options the camera selected when on auto.

Cheers

Ravi.

NeonKnight
11-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Not that hard.

After saving your image I did the following:

Right Click on Saved Imaged, and chose, properties, then I clicked on the SUMMARY Tab, and clicked on the ADVANCED BUTTON, and BINGO-BANGO-BONGO, there it all was.

RobA
11-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Yep.

It is all in the EXIF data.

-Rob A>

Arcana
11-25-2008, 11:01 AM
EXIF is the bomb...it helps when people try to pass off something as something else on forums...you can always check the EXIF of the file and almost always call them out, because they don't know to change it.

Redrobes
11-25-2008, 11:38 AM
I got mine with IrfanView which is a great image viewer. Just press I for information.

Image magick has it like this:

identify -format "%[EXIF:*]" "london skyline small.jpg"

i.e. shows just the information which is an exif field.

One of the things that you can do which is very cool is with the orientation field. A lot of cameras now have a hidden little sensor in them so if you take the photo in portrait mode by holding it at 90 deg then it knows and tags it. When you unload all the pics you can get a script to orient them the correct way up and make thumbnails out of them and format up a web page or whatever with that selection of images. If you get IM to resample the images to exactly your monitor res then they would be sharper than viewing them using most other systems though I think that IrfanView uses excellent resample anyway and can be told to look for the orientation tag too I think.

I have also seen the iPhone use a similar sensor so that as you hold it up and rotate the device (in 90deg steps...) the picture stays upright.

Actually on the iMac books they have analog sensors for doing light saber duels... (well do you know any other reason for them ?). I wonder if you could load up a 360 deg sphere panorama and as you move it about it shows the correct angle bit of the image so that the panorama image stays fixed in space. That would be silly.

Arcana
11-25-2008, 11:45 AM
my wife's Nikon D40 saves images right side up based on the angle sensor. She doesn't have to rotate portrait mode pictures because they're saved correctly. yay!

Torq
11-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I dont know much about the technical details, but I think its a great photo. Well done Ravs, you're an aesthete (??) man.

Torq

ravells
11-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks Torq! And thanks for introducing me to the mysteries of the EXIF everyone, it's really handy!