PDA

View Full Version : ***November Challenge Voting***

RPMiller
11-26-2008, 02:24 PM
VOTE FOR 5 ENTRIES!!!

I almost forgot to add - Make sure to give the entrants you voted for some rep!

The challenge was:

Lost in Space

Whether you are "Lost in Space", "Pigs in Space", or colonizing the "Spore Universe", what the intrepid space farer really needs is a decent map.

Stealing Gameprinter's words, the challenge this month is to create an orbital map, star-system map or even a quadrant map. A map as large as an entire galaxy, or the immediate environment surrounding a planet or star system.

Not just any old political map... this is intended to be a traveler's map (not a Traveller map) to aid in "getting there", where ever there may be.

Sharpen up your lightstylus, put a fresh coat of paint on the Tardis, and prepare to beam up...

Entries should be in by no later than November 25, 2008.

Good Luck!!Thumbnail page is here (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Nov08.htm).
General Rules are here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=503).

RPMiller
11-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow... this was an incredibly difficult vote this month. I actually had to really focus on the challenge rules and had to look at entries a few times to narrow down my choices. Well done everyone!

Sagenlicht
11-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Once again a nice challenge with alot of nice entries.

My 5 votes did got to and why:

SG - I can so imagine seeing his entry in a sci-fi movie or game. When I first saw it I thought wow :)
Ascension - as well a nice 'screenshot' entry.
GP - I like his approach of the challenge and as always its done nicely :)
ravells - Somehow this is the way a Stargate could look like. Nice idea and nicely done :)
Bohuk - My 5th vote did go to Bohuk, because there are quite a few entries with a similar idea and his one looks the most 'technically' to me.

ravells
11-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Super tough vote this month, that's for sure. I went for:

mmmmpig: The clean lines, retro feel and lovely composition. Couldn't pass this one up.
Bohunk: His map looks like a cascading waterfall and the text labelling became an integral part of the design - beautiful colours too.
Map Vandal: Clean lines and great arcs - I really liked the simplicity of the map and the complex equations to give it that tecchy feel.
Steel General: This was a great 'information display' map. Lots of information set out in a logical and attractive way.
Darken: I really liked the originality of the idea and the glowing 3d projection.

There were so many others that I was on the verge of voting for (too numerous to mention). My prediction is that this month really could end up in a draw.

Great work everyone!!

mmmmmpig
11-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow.... just plain wow

so many entries that I wanted to vote for, but I only had 5 to choose from.

The competition is getting tight in this here forum. I agree with Ravells, this one could easily be a three way draw. This challenge compass could pretty much go to anyone.

I will have C&C for all the maps later this week, I will be dealing with extended fam for the near future :(

true-chaotic
11-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Thumbnails:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Nov08.htm on this server.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.viewing.ltd.uk Port 80
:(

Darken
11-26-2008, 03:56 PM
I have to agree with everyone... some awesome and really creative maps this month. Space is not my fortay, but I enjoyed getting some good practice in with 3DS max. Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions!

For me, these decisions really came down to deciphering the map's intention... to quote the rules: "this is intended to be a traveler's map ... to aid in 'getting there' ". Here are my choices:

Korrigan: Love the idea, artistically pleasing and well planned. Really fit the bill nicely.
Zanza: Again, loved it. Google maps for space... who knew! Attention to deal was great.
mmmmmpig: great artistic style. Clean, but with that rustic, hand made look.
cereth: I'm probably a little biased on this one, but I love the hex maps... reminds me of Battletech. Would have been perfect if you toned down the white-wash a bit.
Ascension: I think it could have been better in terms of aiding in navigation (like outlining a travel path), but I think a valid argument is that the information provided would facilitate navigation. Great style, awesome graphics.

Everyone shall be duly repped!

Great entries everyone! Looking forward to seeing you next month!

[EDIT] Oh, and I find it awfully ironic that we had that long talk about my map's brightness with a name like Darken! :D

Steel General
11-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Very difficult voting for the most part, a couple were fairly easy choices - mostly for their originality. As to the rest I honestly couldn't decide so I had a coin-flip playoff.

ravells
11-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Wow, I just noticed that RPM listed the entries in alphabetical order. That's dedication for you.

Ascension
11-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Normally I vote according to the aesthetic beauty of a map or the originality of a map but this time I decided to vote according to my own (admittedly arbitrary) estimation of how well the entry fit the criteria. Had I voted for beauty/originality, as I usually do, my votes would be totally different and that's what makes this challenge so hard to judge. Also, if I were voting for the aesthetics I'd have to choose 10 or 12 and hence I fell back on the criteria to try to limit my choices. Great job everyone! Even though many of us know diddly about sci-fi stuff it's nice to see that we can take our skillset and apply it to different genres. I think the winner is the challenge itself.

MGCJerry
11-26-2008, 06:48 PM
VERY tough voting on these. :)

I voted on the ones that caught my eye and made me want to really look around. Being I could only vote for 5, it was a struggle but I overcame it and voted. :p

RPMiller
11-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow, I just noticed that RPM listed the entries in alphabetical order. That's dedication for you.
Well it wasn't that hard, but the sad thing is well... I'll keep that to myself...

Bohunk
11-26-2008, 08:51 PM
I think this was indeed a very hard vote. This is the first time I voted in this contest and it won't be the last! Great fun! Anywho:

In the order of which I like them and who I voted for:

1. mmmmpig
2. Ravells
3. redrobes
4. vandel
5. gamerprinter

As I said they all look great. Thanks to those who voted for me, but in my mind mmmmpigs the winner.

Midgardsormr
11-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Awesome job, everyone! Once again, it was difficult to narrow it down to only five. 5*m+(swine) gets my top vote. Not only was the style very distinctive, but the gravity plots really gave me the sense that this was a navigation aide. The only thing that I think it needs is some kind of temporal element, since all of the objects are in motion.

I like Zanza's cheeky travel service image with the push-pin. Hilarious to think that we'll still be using that same icon in 300 years. Though now that I look closer, is this meant to be a "page" from the Hitchhiker's Guide?

The scale of Bohunk's entry (not to mention the resolution) definitely drew my eye. The only criticisms I have are that the planet doesn't quite look spherical to me. A little bit of atmospheric haze along the edge would probably sell it. And "quadrant" is misspelled. I've been a little more sensitive to that in finished works than usual since apparently nobody attending my art school can spell. Marvelous images are routinely compromised there by a widespread inability to use a dictionary.

I had to vote for Ascension because I'm still feeling that almost overwhelming desire to install MOO2 and conquer the galaxy a few times.

And finally, Map Vandal's mathematically-intense entry really makes me think that I could plot a course from one planet to another. I have no idea if those equations are accurate, but they certainly look trustworthy.

Again, excellent work all around!

nolgroth
11-26-2008, 11:44 PM
I had a tough time voting too. So many of the maps were well done that it was almost a coin toss on a couple. At any rate, the maps that got my votes did so by the barest of margins. Congrats to whomever wins and thanks to everybody that posted an entry. I was impressed by just about every map posted and they all gave me ideas and inspiration.

Redrobes
11-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Tough choices again this month. I went for options that were definitely maps, maps for a traveler and those that were spacey & scifi. There were others that were great but I thought id vote with a stricter interpretation of the spec to narrow it down and even then I had to cross out a few from my shortlist.

joćo paulo
11-28-2008, 08:17 AM
it's hard to chose.

Jkaen
11-28-2008, 02:24 PM
This was not a challenge I was interested in doing (and having started a new job this month I would not have had the time anyway), but I voted for:

Steel General
Darken
Cereth
Nolgoth
And special mention to Bohunk

Just missing out was Ascension

mmmmmpig
12-01-2008, 02:34 PM
:shock::shock::):shock:

I followed the voting the whole way through, but I still cannot believe I won this one. There were just too many good entries this month.

Thanks to everyone who voted for my map.

Gamerprinter
12-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Congrats, Mmmmmpig! Two in a row, I haven't even done that!

There were so many exceptional maps - I figured the race would have been lots tighter. Good showing everyone!

GP

PS: I gave you REP with my +5 Rep Rod, so now you got a second green pip!!!

Steel General
12-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Congrats mmmmmpig!

That's 2 out of the last 3 isn't it?

mmmmmpig
12-01-2008, 03:09 PM
It is, but I seriously did not think I had much of a chance with this one. I have been pleasantly surpised by the voting though... :D

ravells
12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Congrats, mmmmpig...I loved your entry. A great map in a tough challenge.

Ascension
12-01-2008, 05:07 PM
I'll throw in my congrats as well piggy...the nostalgia of the borderwork and labeling style has always been something I wish I could accomplish.

nolgroth
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Congrats mmmmpig. :D

I was very surprised that I got as many votes as I did. Thank you all. Makes a heart feel all warm and fuzzy. ;)

Bohunk
12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Awsome job mmmmmpig! Well deserved.

MGCJerry
12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Congrats mmmmmpig...

Loved the map. :)

Redrobes
12-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Well done m⁵pig another great entry and win.

I made double digits this month - wow. But whats more wow is that nobody got no votes at all including those who bailed out. The graph is rather nice this month and shows another good even spread of votes across the board. People new to the challenges probably don't know or remember the large amount of zeros we used to get which was very disheartening when we all had the one vote.

RobA
12-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for knocking out the graph, RedRobes! It helps for those of us who are numerically challenged :)

-Rob A>

bryguy
12-01-2008, 09:31 PM
heh, looks like i tied for 15th :)

lol and i got more votes this month than ever before :)

congrats mmmmmpig :)

mmmmmpig
12-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks so much for the kudos everyone. I am using these challenges to build up my portfolio, and to get community acclaim and feedback is nigh on priceless. If I get any professional work from these challenges, I only have you guys to thank.

Now bring on the next one!

Sagenlicht
12-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Congratz mmmmmpig :)

It was one interesting challenge this month I don't think it was possible to tell who would win till voting was over.

@RR
Heh RR I wish you had done that graph last month were I got more votes :P

Valarian
12-02-2008, 07:42 AM
I'll add my congratulations as well.

Thanks also to those who voted for me this month. I think that was a personal best for me.
On to the next challenge then? What's next?

Darken
12-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Gratz piggly wiggly!

I'll take 3rd :D I had a blast, so everyone tells me that's more important anyway.

On a side note, I may have to sit the December one out... we'll see...

RPMiller
12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Just a heads up... You don't want to sit December out because there will be a prize thanks to Gamerprinter. :D

The challenge should go up very soon.

And a big congrats to mmmmmpig. You will hopefully have that new award added shortly.

mmmmmpig
12-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Wooooooooo-hooooooo 2 compasses!

Steel General
12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Wooooooooo-hooooooo 2 compasses!

Now you should never ever lose track of what direction you are going in? :D

mmmmmpig
12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I think they may cancel each other out :(

Steel General
12-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Unless one of them is like Cap'n Jack Sparrow's magic compass and always points to what you want the most.

mmmmmpig
12-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Bring on the December Challenge! Curious minds want to know!

Redrobes
12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Looking to make a hattrick then ? 8)

mmmmmpig
12-02-2008, 04:48 PM
I would love to make it a hat trick. if one gets a hat trick do they get a special compass? :D

RPMiller
12-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Nope, in fact we remove all your compasses and than stamp your avatar with a dunce hat indicating the hat trick. ;) Or... wait... I think we decided against that. ;) :lol:

bryguy
12-03-2008, 09:03 AM
how long until the december challenge? i have a review algebra test today, and i didnt do that well with it the first time around, so anything to take my mind of it would help (like, ahem.... the december challenge maybe?????)

Redrobes
12-03-2008, 09:12 AM
You could study Map Vandals entry... :twisted:

mmmmmpig
12-03-2008, 01:06 PM
oooooooh the suspense is killing me! what is the december challenge!

bryguy
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM

lol no ty, i can't understand any of the equations on it.... lol

anyways, managed to get only 1 wrong out of 20 on my test, so i got an A :)

oh well, as m5pig said, the suspense is killing me!

Redstar
12-03-2008, 05:14 PM
My vote is for a printable holiday themed war map in space... with flags. 8)

Korrigan
12-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Don't forget the zombies ;)

Map Vandal
12-08-2008, 11:06 AM

I wouldn't recommend studying them too closely. You might not actually get to your destination. ;)