PDA

View Full Version : For our BT game!

Gamerprinter
12-02-2008, 02:24 AM
Although BT is definitely Sci-Fi, I thought this general wilderness setting would suit any generic use - fantasy, sci-fi or otherwise, so I put it here.

Nothing special here. Our gaming group decided to play a game of Battletech, since we haven't done so in almost a decade - so of course, I was commissioned to do the map. We wanted a cool, but functional BT map.

Basically a battle pit on a wilderness planet. The premise being three clan werewolves (a custom 75 ton mech of my design) and his two slow 100 ton artillery platforms (ERPPC, AC Autocannon, etc.) against three newbies each with 225 tons of mechs (each with variety of 3 mechs of their choice).

My werewolves are hiding in the heavy woods at the bottom of the pit. A cache of weapons tech is submerged in the lake and I'm guarding them. My support is slowly ambling to my aid, from the left side of this map.

The nine newbie mechs are coming in trios, one from the top and two from the right side of the map.

One of mechs is pretty dinged up, but I've taken out one mech from two of the trios so far.

We had to stop the game until next weekend, due to late arrivals, maybe 3 more hours to completion.

Anyway, I used a hex grid placed on top of a beveled terrain design for ease of use for BT play. I hate those terrains made out of actual hexes found in standard BT maps. We ruled if a hex was mostly one terrain or level than that was the entire hex, for movement issues.

Xara Xtreme created map in my old stacked terrain style!

Use it to your heart's content, I'm done with it. Enjoy!

GP

Bedwyr
12-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Very very slick. Could you cross-post this on the fan art forum on cbt.com? I think they'd enjoy seeing it.

Also I think that multiplying the levels by 10 is an interesting touch. If you were to do another one, you could make the level text in-line with the contours giving it a real Topographic, tactical feel.

Steel General
12-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Nice job GP!

Valarian
12-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Nice job. For terrain like that though, I want a 'mech with jump jets :D

RPMiller
12-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Seems like Death From Above would definitely be the maneuver of choice. ;)

I think there are some BT players that use MapTool as well so you may want to cross post over there as well.

Steel General
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Nice job. For terrain like that though, I want a 'mech with jump jets :D

Yes! My favorite variant - a Thunderbolt (60 or 65 tons) with Jump Jets...

Gamerprinter
12-02-2008, 03:46 PM
The Werewolves sitting at the bottom of the pit, as I described in the first post, are a custom design - I've got both inner sphere and clan versions. Though I've got the clan version in memory...

75 Ton Mech:
375 XL engine
Inner structure: triple strength myomer
Weapons: 6 medium pulse lasers (3 in each side torso), 1 small pulse laser in center torso, and a micro laser in the head. Two claws (5 tons and 5 crits) on arms.
This weapons array is how the mech maintains the proper heat with any movement options. By firing the right set of weapons, depending on whether I walk, run, jump or stand still, my heat can be maintained perfectly.
Jumpjets: 5

Movement (at heat): walk 5, run 8, jump 5

In the end the Werewolf, wants to get close enough after peppering your armor with pulse lasers, then his triple strength claw attacks (15 points of damage) can go into your internal structure.

I created this mech, by starting with the name first and deciding 75 ton, went from there, and its been my favorite mech ever since! I realize the mix of Clan and Inner Sphere technologies makes it weird, but oh well...

GP

Steel General
12-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Bah! Half the fun of designing custom mechs is mixing the stuff up to see what you can come up with. :)

For one of my papers in Technical Report Writing in college I did a comparison of 3 BattleMechs, my Prof was speechless 'cause it was so out of the ordinary, but gave me an A- 'cause of two punctuation errors. He has a PhD in English and is a pulitzer prize winner - so a real stickler for that stuff.

ravells
12-02-2008, 08:41 PM
That stacked style really works with the BT maps as it makes the deliniation between heights easy to see. Great work as usual, GP!

Gamerprinter
12-03-2008, 12:09 AM
I posted the map to the classicbattletech.com website forums, and somebody asked for another example of this kind of hex map, so I whipped this one up - you'll notice its the same moonbase as my map object in the Map Elements forum (that both I and Sagenlight used in our Nov. entries!)

The artificially flat areas on top and sides of the mountains are to accomodate mechs for gameplay.

The CBT guys went goo-goo over this map, though they liked them both!

GP

Bedwyr
12-03-2008, 11:36 AM
What tools are you using again?

Gamerprinter
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
The primary application I use to create maps, I am pretty much alone in using. I got Del to try it, though. It is Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2 which costs around $250. There is a light version that will do everything you need to create the same type of maps for only $70 - but its not free software.

Although good for only a short time, you can download either version as a fully functional trial (lite is 14 day trial, full is 30 day trial) so you could try out my tutorials, create and save the map for your permanent use ... then buy the app, if you like it.

I have a couple tutorials here using Xara for creating maps...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2432

This is probably the tut that will help you most in understanding how to create those kinds of mountains in the first map.

GP

Bedwyr
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Huh, looked up the site. I thought they were owned by Corel. (Heh, guess I assume anything non-Adobe got bought by Corel).

edit: besides having two editing modes in one package, what are the advantages over Iillustrator/Photoshop?

Or CorelDraw/Photopaint...

Gamerprinter
12-03-2008, 12:15 PM
There are all kinds of reasons to try out Xara Xtreme - its inexpensive, very easy to use, very fast. Applying functions, saving files is fast - much faster than Adobe products. Its so easy to use my Grandma could figure it out in an afternoon and she's computer illiterate. Its so powerful and feature rich, I can do anything with it.

Ravs has compared it to Serif Drawplus, yet that app's bevel function is not nearly as robust as Xara.

Xara was owned by Corel for a short time, they bought it back, now some German company bought them.

Best advice is to download the trial version and play with it. Try out my tutorials so you have direction to go and decide for yourself.

GP

PS: other apps I use - Izware Nendo (for 3d modeling), Raydream/Carrara/Cinema 4D (3D apps), PD Particles (paint app great for trees and plants), Photoshop/GIMP (when I have to enhance or alter a raster image.)

Gamerprinter
12-03-2008, 12:37 PM
That pit map was completely generated in Xara Xtreme. From start to upload online that map took me 1.5 hours to create.

The second map has some 3D elements which took abit longer to create - lunar surface 10 minutes in Raydream Studio (3D), and the space colony about half hour - but once those parts were created the rest of that map took me 15 minutes to create in Xara.

Xara is just so fast and easy, I can't promote that application enough!

GP

Steel General
12-03-2008, 01:56 PM
...and let us not forget that GP develops maps like a rabbit on amphetamines! :D

ravells
12-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Ravs has compared it to Serif Drawplus, yet that app's bevel function is not nearly as robust as Xara.

I found out that many of the developers of Drawplus are ex-Xara people. Not having used Xara, I can't really compare the two but what I've read on the features the real killer advantages to Xara are the superior bevel that GP mentioned and the ability to use photoshop filters. I've been plaguing the Drawplus forums to get the photoshop filters introduced in the next version.

Gamerprinter
12-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Ok, this is the first of a two-part map... the Desert Canyon Base. Notice the metal doors at the end of the canyon road, at canyon's end, these lead to an underground mech bunker with motorpool, repair facility and living quarters for this secret Clan base.

The second part of this map (which I'll work on next) is roughly a quarter of the dimensions of this map and will represent the underground complex itself.

I've discovered my hex sizes were off on the previous two maps, I created 1 inch "flat to flat" hexes, when they should have been 1.3 inches, so this map's hexes are correct.

As soon as I complete the overlay map, I will post this on my Ecommerce site, I've already posted the other two. Trying to create inventory as I go!

GP

RobA
12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
GP-

I must say I think you have nailed a style that works perfectly with the BT game mechanics.

-Rob A>

Gamerprinter
12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
GP-

I must say I think you have nailed a style that works perfectly with the BT game mechanics.

-Rob A>

When I first starting using that style about a year ago, I wasn't sure where I would apply that technique. I think you are right, it works very naturally for Battletech. Nice to put the technique to good use! Thanks, RobA!

Ok, I know I said, I'd be making the bunker portion of that Desert Canyon Base map, and I will, tonight or tomorrow - but, working off my December Challenge Map I created a top down, changed Seagaard to a River Crossing Fortress, and that water texture seems to work better as a raging river than ocean. (So I'm thinking of changing my December Challenge map to River site, rather than an ocean assault - haven't decided yet.)

I plan to make at least 12 maps or should I say, 12.25 maps for that overlay piece I have yet to make. Just to make the BT Map subcategory in my website not seem so empty.

Anyway, next installment in my BT map series: the Crossing Guard.

GP

Steel General
12-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Wunderbar!!!

Gamerprinter
12-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Just to be expedient, I repurposed a previously created map for the sixth in my Battletech series of maps. Winter Road Canyon...

Repurposed from here... http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2163

OK, here's the map... (but after this I want to do a tropical beachfront, too much real life cold around here! BRRRR!)

GP

jfrazierjr
12-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Am I looking at this wrong, or is there an underground bunker thing going on with both sides of the canyon?

Gamerprinter
12-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Am I looking at this wrong, or is there an underground bunker thing going on with both sides of the canyon?

This is supposed to be entirely above the ground. On the north side of the canyon is a two-laned road with some snow cover, though recently plowed. To the south of the canyon are hills or the other side of the canyon. On the eastern side, south of the canyon is an above ground bunker and metal building.

Nothing underground here... :?:

GP

Steel General
12-10-2008, 08:47 PM
There's a green rectangular outline on the rocks south-west of the westernmost big boulder, what's that for?

Gamerprinter
12-10-2008, 08:56 PM
There's a green rectangular outline on the rocks south-west of the westernmost big boulder, what's that for?

That's a shadow artifact of something that was there and deleted - I'll fix it tonight and repost...

GP

jfrazierjr
12-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Nothing underground here... :?:

GP

The area circled, along with the "outline" in light blue and what appears to be partially translucent, makes an appearance of the entrance to a cave.

Gamerprinter
12-10-2008, 10:01 PM
The area circled, along with the "outline" in light blue and what appears to be partially translucent, makes an appearance of the entrance to a cave.

Maybe I ought to something underground there - worth a thought.

GP

Gamerprinter
12-14-2008, 06:36 PM
One of the members on the CBT site asked for this... don't ask me the logic behind it, I am not sure. This is supposed to be a warship/jumpship in space as a battlemap surface to fight mechs on!?

I'm not sure how mechs are supposed to be able to stay on a surface in zero G, but I can comply with a request, since one was made.

I modeled the superstructure of the ship in Nendo, rendered in Raydream, imported to Xara then added those colorful bits of structure, the grid and labeling. So here it is...

GP

RPMiller
12-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Maybe they have magnetic feet on their mechs? :?::?

Gamerprinter
12-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Maybe they have magnetic feet on their mechs? :?::?

Yeah, I thought of that too, but BT is rather tactical and have specific rules about mech construction. Do these mechs have the Crit Spaces to place magnetic-walker actuators?

I can maintain a suspension of disbelief, but hardcore BT gamers would say that's not possible. But cater to request, that's what I always do.

GP

jfrazierjr
12-14-2008, 08:24 PM
hmmm perhaps it's the other way around and the ship is a mild magnetic charge, but the leg actuators have enough power to break the magnetic field during movement. don't know.. but it's a thought.

Bedwyr
12-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey GP. I got the skinny on Battletech warships. Mechs can maneuver in space. Some of them have reaction packs attached to them (many usually act like jump jets to slow descent from a hot combat drop on those like the MadCat that don't have jump jets).

Those that do have jump jets usually have tanks of reaction mass so they can operate in vacuums. The magical fusion engines provide enough oomph to lift upwards of 80 tons. :)

Yes the mechs have magnetic feet and may walk about a ship normally. They're usually used for ship boarding actions. Marines and battle armor are more commonly used, but mechs may assist in certain situations.

This book (http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=products&mode=full&id=233) was just released in pdf format, paper soon to follow. You can see by the cover image that it concentrates on black naval engagements. The Atlas is the ride of a soon-to-be savior of the Inner Sphere, Devlin Stone. We still don't know much about the man, just the results as seen from the 3100s future of the MechWarrior: Dark Age game.

As for having some warship images per the critique on the CBT site, here:

http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=4033
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=3885
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=3928
http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=3977

Some of the best painted miniatures I've ever seen. They're about the same size as most mechs and fit on a standard 1.3" hex. Full size of the real thing?

http://www.classicbattletech.com/images/gallery/Classic_BattleTech_Technical_Readout_3057_Revised_ Cover@1024x768.jpg

This is the largest warship ever built. 2.5 million tons. 2,285 meters long. Solar sail is 1,945 meters wide. By comparison a standard CBT hex is 30 meters flat to flat, so the full length of the leviathan would take up just over 76 hexes.

Fluff wise, two were refurbished by Clan Ghost Bear and were pressed into service, creating emergency transports for the entire clan's relocation into the Inner Sphere (they later merged with the Rasalhague Republic).

Because of the leviathan's bumpy surface, though perhaps fun and interesting, a better surface for gameplay is usually the McKenna. 1.9 million tons, 1,405 meters long, ~47 hexes.

Notsonoble
12-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Ah but bedwyr you're missing the true value of mechs on a levi II or levi III...

Think, 76 hexes = 76 Warhawk/Masakari Primes as "free" "anti fighter mounts". Not to mention that's also 476 points of capital damage added to your broadside... hows that for a "refit"... :P