View Full Version : Where to get magnifying glass that clamps to globe stand?

12-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't even know what to call it, but here is a picture:


I suppose it is a: "magnifying glass with friction clamp for attaching to globe stand meridian ring" or somesuch, but google is not showing me the love with any permutations.

If anyone knows where you can buy one, it would be greatly appreciated.

12-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow. Among the best quality results I got from Google was this post. It looks like that glass was designed as part of the globe's structure. I'm not sure you'd be able to find one suitable for clamping to any globe. It might, however, be relatively easy to build one.

This gizmo, for instance: http://flashlightsunlimited.com/astroarm.htm

It's ugly, but it gives an idea of what might be possible.

Steel General
12-03-2008, 01:16 PM
You could try something like this (http://www.delpozzo.com/magnifiers.htm) place.

12-03-2008, 08:14 PM

maybe ?

12-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll make one out of loc-line (like the astro-arm thingy).