PDA

View Full Version : [Commission Piece] Map of an Island

torstan
12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I have been working on a few commissions recently, hence the lack of posted maps, but this commission can be shared on the forums! The original request was here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3447

Here's the original sketch:

Here's the island map so far:

I am in the process of laying down the textures for the different terrains. I need to come up with a good pine barrens terrain currently. Mostly, the items are outlines at the moment. The different features will become more detailed as the map progresses.

As this is the middle of a commission piece this is an exception to the CC license in my sig. This one remains my copyright until the piece is completed.

jfrazierjr
12-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Torstan, that is just freaking awesome! Did you do this in GIMP or give Inkscape a try? Do you plan on coloring it or will it stay B/W?

Nonsequitur
12-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I commissioned this map, and I'm thrilled that Torstan offered to give it a go. He's doing a beautiful job!

torstan
12-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks Joe!

All in Gimp. I'm trying to refine my line art style and this has been a lovely opportunity to improve. It's nice having such a large canvas to work on as it can be quite detailed.

I still need to take inkscape for a proper spin, but I should probably do it on a personal map first.

It's going to stay black and white for this commission, though I think it would look lovely coloured up like an inked map on old paper...

RobA
12-03-2008, 11:01 PM
I need to come up with a good pine barrens terrain currently. Mostly, the items are outlines at the moment. The different features will become more detailed as the map progresses.

You might want to make use of an image hose/pipe whatever and just scatter a few random pines...

I made the one on the left for a map I am working on, the other variations are from here and elsewhere, as examples...

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
12-03-2008, 11:41 PM
You might want to make use of an image hose/pipe whatever and just scatter a few random pines...

I made the one on the left for a map I am working on, the other variations are from here and elsewhere, as examples...

-Rob A>

I like the two in the middle. Are these brushes posted up here somewhere?

Turgenev
12-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Lovely map, torstan. Can't wait to see more.

Steel General
12-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Very nice work Torstan!

I still need to give something like that a go one of these days...

RobA
12-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I like the two in the middle. Are these brushes posted up here somewhere?

Sorry, I don't know where I picked them up :(

-Rob A>

torstan
12-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Those two in the middle are really nice, but I think I'll do the barrens by hand. If I get really bored and need a break I may look around for some brushes, or make my own.

RobA
12-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Those two in the middle are really nice, but I think I'll do the barrens by hand. If I get really bored and need a break I may look around for some brushes, or make my own.

I wasn't actually suggesting using those ;)

I was suggesting making your own brush to paint them down.

-Rob A>

torstan
12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
My mistake. I may well try that. I hadn't actually thought of doing that for this map but it is a good method.

Karro
12-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Regardless of how you do the pine barrens, this is looking very cool!

torstan
12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks Karro.

I've got the swamp and marshy forest done now. Here's the updated version.

Steel General
12-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Nice job, I especially like the 'standing stones' along the eastern coast

RPMiller
12-04-2008, 06:21 PM
That is looking really awesome. However, I think the rivers are overstated and I think thinning them down to allow more of a gradual thickening would make a much nicer statement and blend better with the other map features. Currently they feel more like long inland lakes than rivers. But as usual I'm being extremely nitpicky.

torstan
12-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Caught.

That's a good point. I did the rivers differently from the rest of the map. I created the shape of the rivers using the ink pen with a large size to get the overall shape. I then selected all rivers, shrank the selection a little and then stroked it with a 2.5 pixel line. That's the reason for the solid black outline.

I don't mind them being wide for the map - the sizes are certainly not to scale - see the standing stones. They need to be clearly marked. However, the stroke on them does make them a little overpowering. I'll probably go back and pencil them in by hand.

Thanks for the catch.

torstan
12-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Meanwhile, here is an update with pine barrens.

Nonsequitur
12-04-2008, 08:02 PM
I think the rivers are very eye-catching -- one of my favorite elements of the map, actually. Like Torstan says, the features of the map are definitely not to scale, and rightly so.

Finest damn pine barrens I've ever seen.

torstan
12-04-2008, 08:15 PM
:)

Well they are certainly barren.

Karro
12-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Did I mention that I love the waterfalls? I don't think I did. Well... I do.

ravells
12-05-2008, 03:31 PM
What a great idea!!! I wish I'd thought of it!

:edit: Weird this was a reply to a different thread but it appeared here!:edit: I must have not been paying attention or something.

Great work Torstan, it holds together beautifully.

Ascension
12-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Lookin killer as always man. Nice job.

torstan
12-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Well, here's a new update. I guess you'll be able to see why it took a while, but the end result was worth it I think.

Still to do:
1. Farmland texturing
2. Texture mountains
3. Texture water
4. Icons for settlements and features.

The forest was the really big one. The rest of these should be relatively straight forward (famous last words!).

ravells
12-07-2008, 04:42 PM
This one is turning out to be a real stunner.

torstan
12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks Ravells. I'm having fun creating proper pen and ink details for this. I'm really enjoying the pen tool here.

A small update - now with added farmlands and shadowed mountains!

torstan
12-07-2008, 05:01 PM
And here's one that should display at the correct size for the final version (I had to resize down to get it to the right scale for web viewing - is this 96dpi?)

ravells
12-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Beautiful! I love the farmlands and the shaded mountains. The thing I love about this style of mapping is that the map just tells a story even without labels. Are you going to shade all the mountains? How long does it take?

torstan
12-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Blimey Ravells, you're up late for a school night :)

Yes, all the mountains will be detailed. They don't take that long to do as there is no smudging or blurring going on, just line work. However there are a lot of mountains! So I do them when my code doesn't compile and I need to think about why. It's amazing how fast they get done this way...

The map is evolving really well now. I'm pleased with the way the style has come together. There's a few things I might have done differently, but mostly its working well.

jfrazierjr
12-07-2008, 08:39 PM
They don't take that long to do as there is no smudging or blurring going on, just line work.

Heh... unlike mine I am working on.... I took me 4+ hours to do all the color work on the mountains and hills between turns in a LFR session Friday night.

torstan
12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, I have to say I was a little surprised when you called all those mountains a 'small update'. They look great, but that much detail takes a looong time.

Nickadimos
12-08-2008, 02:37 AM
WOW!!! Really WOW!
I love it! 1 question more than anything.... it looks like that river to the east of the mountains you have shaded already, goes uphill then falls down the waterfall then meets back up with the river below it?

keep up the good work! WONDERFUL!

Terry

RPMiller
12-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't think that river is going up hill before the falls, note that it is spreading out into the swamp, but it does present a different problem. It is forking off before a waterfall. Usually one of two things would happen there. The fork would dry up or the waterfall would. However, not really knowing what is going on with the geography in that area it is sort of hard to say that decisively. The other oddity about that area is the two tiered swamp. I don't think I've ever seen a swamp that is that was on that large of a slope (note that it extends from the top of the waterfall to the bottom).

torstan
12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
The rivers aren't forking off into the swamp, they are draining out from the swamp. So the waterfall is made up of some swamp run off.

I agree that having the swamp on a number of levels is a bit odd. I might remove the arm of the river that joins above the waterfall to fix that a little, and remove some of the higher up elements of the swamp.

Anyway, the mountains are done. Here's the current draft.

Not much to do now:
1. Small details on plains and around the water's edge.
2. Town and location icons.

jfrazierjr
12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Thats beautiful! Could you post up the full size version instead of the print sized one? (assuming you worked from that on the latest changes)

torstan
12-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Here's the full resolution version - though this shows at a scale 3 times larger than the printer result will be.

Gandwarf
12-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Well, this is turning into a stunning map. I love the mountains, the forests and farmlands. Can't wait to see the settlements placed!
Awesome work!

Also you should do a color version of this map ;)

RPMiller
12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
The rivers aren't forking off into the swamp, they are draining out from the swamp. So the waterfall is made up of some swamp run off.

I agree that having the swamp on a number of levels is a bit odd. I might remove the arm of the river that joins above the waterfall to fix that a little, and remove some of the higher up elements of the swamp.

Anyway, the mountains are done. Here's the current draft.

Not much to do now:
1. Small details on plains and around the water's edge.
2. Town and location icons.
Ah! Yes, now I see. I have to agree that the elevations are a little confusing. When I think swamp I always think sea level swamps so you can see where my confusion was.

That is turning out absolutely gorgeous and just might be the most incredible piece you have done thus far. I really think that any game company would see that and hire you in an instant to do all their maps with that same style. Well done, and once I am able to I shall definitely beat you about the head with my rep stick. :D

torstan
12-09-2008, 08:11 PM
That's enormously kind RP. I'm really pleased that Greg (the commissioning client) has been generous enough to let me work on this on the forums. It's great getting feedback as the map progresses.

Here's the final version in both small size (so it shows on the screen at the size of the printed final) and full size (for those people who really want to see the individual pixels.

'Real' size:

Full size:

I'll also cross-post this to the final maps section. No coloured version for now. I don't really have the time right now.

RobA
12-10-2008, 12:27 AM
I'd suggest using iso pictorial symbols for the towns to match the map style. Or foreshorten the symbols to an iso view (oval instead of a circle, diamond/rhombus/trapezoid instead of the squares).

-Rob A>

torstan
12-10-2008, 11:09 AM
The request in the commission was for simple symbols as Nonsequitur wants to add his own labels and symbols over time.

Having said that, now the map is done, I may well fiddle with some extra work on the symbols and labels. We'll see.

torstan
12-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Okay, so I had a shot at doing some iso icons. Not sure how well they read at the print scale but they look okay at the full size. Let me know what you think:

Full:

Print:

RPMiller
12-10-2008, 01:01 PM
They are a little difficult to identify on the Print size. Perhaps with roads they would become more apparent as to what they are.

torstan
12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
With isometric abstract icons:

There was a specific request for no roads so I avoided them. I don't really want to add them in now. Ideally the icons should show what the locations are without any extra information. I need to find some way to make them stand out. Back to the drawing board...

RPMiller
12-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Actually those work. It is more obvious what they are and they are not "hidden" by the terrain. I think the problem with the more realistic looking icon was that you drew them "too good" and the blended in with the rest of the map. The more abstract ones stand out much better and are more obviously points of interest thus making the map both functional as well as a work of art.

torstan
12-10-2008, 01:34 PM
After thinking about it I agree. I'll stick with these icons for now and stop tinkering. Thanks all for the comments!

Nonsequitur
12-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm very happy with the final product. Torstan kept me up to date throughout his creative process and was a pleasure to work with. I'd like to add that while the more realistic town icons were well done, I think the abstract icons suit my purposes better.

torstan
12-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Do you want the slightly skewed icon version?

Thanks for the pleasant comments on the blog!

IceBlue
09-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi there

I realise that this thread is over 8 years old, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

What is this map for? I've reverse image searched it and it came up with a game. Something about the city of Pondia?

A friend of mine recently found a message in a bottle washed up on our shore and this map was inside with some writing on. We're trying to decipher what the message could be - quite interesting!

Diamond
09-29-2013, 04:20 PM
1. Are you posting from the future? The thread isn't even five years old. :D

2. The first post of the thread clearly states what the map was for and even has a link to the request thread.

3. Welcome to the Guild!

IceBlue
09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Sorry! xD I'm clearly new here.

I saw the link - thanks - but that still does not explain why it would be on a piece of paper washed up on our shore.

What could this mean?

AvuncularMontague
09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
This doesn't make sense: first, if you found a map in a bottle and took a picture of it, why is there a copyright embedded in your photograph? And second, google image search is not clever enough to relate this map to the one in the thread - at least, not from this photo. It works by looking for visually similar images, which in the case of the photo you uploaded returns hits in the first page to photos of a TV with static on the screen, a cat litter tray, a lace doily on a table, a zen garden... but no maps of Pondia. Third, the first thing I would expect someone to do in the situation described is to phone or email the person whose contact information is on the sheet--and, if no answers were forthcoming I would expect someome to include this information in the post.

So I would cautiously say, with no intent to offend if I'm incorrect, that your post appears to be misleading!

Kind regards --Monty

IceBlue
09-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Ok wait, wait - hold up a sec. Let me explain.

As I mentioned before, "A friend of mine recently found a message in a bottle washed up on our shore and this map was inside with some writing on." This friend is a photographer and I just saved his photo off Facebook in order to show you the message that was written along with the map (hence the copyright). I can take a screen shot if you would prefer it.

Secondly, I cropped the photo to just show the map and THEN google image searched it:
This thread was the second hit returned.

Sorry for misleading. I'm just trying to find out what the map is of out of interest's sake.

AvuncularMontague
09-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Sorry for misleading. I'm just trying to find out what the map is of out of interest's sake.

No need to apologise, then, if I was overly skeptical. But what happened when you emailed the address on the map, or phoned the number?

IceBlue
10-01-2013, 05:21 AM
Apparently no reply to the email as of yet..