PDA

View Full Version : Arabic-style maps

Ruedy
12-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi, at time I create a map for a fictive arabic nation.
Does anybody have experience, examples or ideas for an arabic-style?
Especially for the map-frames, ornaments and parts of typical design.

ravells
12-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Take a look at the reference section, Ruedy a the 'real life map collection' sticky and check out the links there. I'm sure you'll find a few but it will take some digging.

Ruedy
12-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Take a look at the reference section, Ruedy a the 'real life map collection' sticky and check out the links there. I'm sure you'll find a few but it will take some digging.

Well, thank you ravells.
After a few views, I think the collections on sticky threads doesnīt help me.
I think I use design-elements like ornaments that I found in some fonts.
In a few days I will present my results.

Steel General
12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
The Dundjinni User Creation Forums (http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/default.asp) have some stuff to use in your maps along these lines, might be worth checking out if you haven't already

ravells
12-05-2008, 03:36 PM
oh...and type: 'moorish ornament' in Google, and look at google images, it gives quite a bit in terms of pattern ornamentation.

You'll want to do it again and again....

...it's quite Moorish..

badaboom!

Ascension
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Google Images is a godsend for things like this. I also hit the bookstore and peruse books for ideas, as well as clipart and font sites.

Ruedy
12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah, "moorish" - "maurisch" ist a very good keyword! I didnīt mind... Thanks!

ravells
12-05-2008, 06:37 PM
The sadness is that I have a book called 'The Grammar of Ornament' which has loads of arabic styles in, but I fear it's copyrighted .

Midgardsormr
12-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Excellent book. Anyone interested in ornamental art should take a look at that one. I flip through it at the bookstore every so often to get inspiration, but I haven't quite managed to persuade myself to buy it yet.