PDA

View Full Version : December Entry: Siege - The Defense of Long Fallen Urak

Steel General
12-06-2008, 05:34 PM
OK, I'm finally going to get away from my Desert Planet of Khuutath. This is a take on a idea I had for my homebrew campaign setting.

"Long ago, the city of Urak was renowned as a center of great learning. Museums, bard colleges, mage schools and other institutes of higher learning were located throughout the city.

The citizens of Urak became arrogant, thought themselves better that the rest of the world. They thought the city ultimately safe due to the large population of powerful mages, clerics , etc. They were confident that should any force threaten the city, the powerful spell-casters resident in the city would be more than adequate to defend it.

In 2568 BG (Before Gods-Fall) a horde of humanoids swept down out of the nearby Stormfang mountains and devastated the city. The horde was so huge and attacked with such speed and savagery that the city was overrun very quickly.

Striving to save the vast amounts of magical artifacts and accumulated knowledge it was decided to move what could not be easily transported to the vast vaults below the Great Library of Ard. Where they would be magically sealed away to be retrieved at a later date.

Defense of the vaults was turned over to a select group of guardians who successfully fulfilled there obligation for many generations. Membership in this group became a family tradition passed down through the following years.

Then the horror of Gods Fall happened, and everything changed. Knowledge of this vast store of magic was lost to all but a few who maintained their guardianship over the Library and its vaults.

In 547 AG (After God's Fall) a priest of the Tyrant God Vhokuun discovered the whereabouts of the vaults, and in time gathered a powerful force determined to invade the ruins of Urak and plunder the vaults.

One of the few remaining guardians discovered information regarding this and did whatever they could to rally forces to defend the Library and the contents of the vault."

The map concentrates upon the final defense of the Library and its surroundings. Here is a preview of that area.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
12-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Can a CL please fix the title of the thread?
It looks like I "fat fingered it".

Thanks...

jfrazierjr
12-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Can a CL please fix the title of the thread?
It looks like I "fat fingered it".

Thanks...

Updated for ya.

Sagenlicht
12-07-2008, 05:29 AM
OK, I'm finally going to get away from my Desert Planet of Khuutath.

BUUUUUHHH!!

Heh but its a promising start SG :)

Some areas, especially those ruins are looking allready great, one thing that doesnt blend is the river though. But I guess the river aint finished yet :)

Steel General
12-07-2008, 10:07 AM
BUUUUUHHH!!

Heh but its a promising start SG :)

Some areas, especially those ruins are looking allready great, one thing that doesnt blend is the river though. But I guess the river aint finished yet :)

@Sagenlicht - Thanks for the comments... Actually I thought the river was OK, but now after reading your post, and taking a second look I agree, it's to "bright" and "uni-colored". I always seem to struggle with the rivers.

@JFJr - Thanks for fixing my typo.

Steel General
12-09-2008, 08:43 PM
OK, here are some of the 'counters' I'm planning on using on the map. They of course will be much smaller and the text will be difficult (at best) to read. But I'm happy with them so far.

The first is the leader of the 'good guys', the second is one of the unit counters of the 'bad guys'.

Please feel free to leave comments ,etc.

torstan
12-10-2008, 10:06 AM
I love the Illuvitar symbol. That's great!

Steel General
12-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I love the Illuvitar symbol. That's great!

Thanks, it was royalty free clipart I found that I added some color to, I like it better than the sysmbol I use in my home-brew setting and the CWBP - have to swap them out one of these days.

I think I saved it as a .PSD if you're interested, I can post it.

Bohunk
12-10-2008, 05:05 PM
I enjoyed the back history. The map and the symbols look great. Can't wait to see more.

Ascension
12-10-2008, 05:11 PM
You are aware that the Phoenix is a symbol for the Illuminati, right? Co-inkey dink? Rock on man.

Steel General
12-10-2008, 06:17 PM
You are aware that the Phoenix is a symbol for the Illuminati, right? Co-inkey dink? Rock on man.

I had no idea, I thought the Illuminati symbol was the pyramid with the eye at the top.

@Bohunk - Thanks, I hope to get more done this weekend.

Ascension
12-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm not saying replace it or anything, heck I even use it as my avatar. The symbol goes with the similar-sounding name so it fits very well. Keep on keepin on.

RPMiller
12-11-2008, 10:49 AM
And at this point someone should add...

FNORD.

Steel General
12-12-2008, 07:23 PM
OK, here is another of the counters, this time the bad-guy leader - Tarack Colinaas

I am having a bit of a tough time with how to handle the more generic units such as orcs, elves, dwarves, etc.

So I had a bit of a brain-whatever and thought of using something from the CivFanatics forums - the Leaderheads.

What do you guys think? Here's a couple of examples...

Should I use something like this or stay with something more generic like the first couple I did?

joćo paulo
12-12-2008, 07:58 PM
nyce avatarkind ,what a good textures in this meshes.

Steel General
12-12-2008, 11:13 PM
nyce avatarkind ,what a good textures in this meshes.

Well I can't take credit for any of the leader-heads, I'm just making use of them - possibly.

Steel General
12-20-2008, 05:20 PM
OK, here's a bit of an update. I've re-done a lot of the unit counters and have placed at least one of each kind on the map. I'm still working out the total number of counters of each kind I want on the map.

But now you can get a better idea of where I'm going with this.

###Latest WIP###

ravells
12-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Just one suggestion, SG - the saturation of the blues is much higher than the greens so (to my eye anway), it makes the map look a little unbalanced. Nice work so far, though!

Steel General
12-23-2008, 02:29 PM
OK, I've finished my entry...finally! There are things that could be improved on - still not completely thrilled with the water, but I just won't have any more time to work on it before the deadline.

Wanted to be sure to give credit to many of the folks who submit stuff to the user creations @ Dunjinni and CivFanatics forums. Couldn't have done this without some of their creations.

So here you go, enjoy, make comments, etc. & so forth...

### Latest WIP###

ravells
12-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Fantastic presentation! This is a top entry. Great work SG!!!

Steel General
12-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks Ravs...

I just tonight noticed some typos in the text...oh well note to self: Better proof-reading next time.

Darken
12-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Hey Steel General; trying my new rating system on you :)

Let me start by saying great job applying the challenge theme to the map. As you travel from panel to panel, you really get a sense of overwhelming as the sparse forces fall to swarms. As far as fixing the water, it feels a bit... intense. Drop the saturation, then maybe play with the levels a bit. also try adding an outer glow on the shores (or inner glow on the water) to add some elevation... the water feels flat compared to the forest. Speaking of the forest, the paths look "painted on" rather then "carved out" of the vegetation. It looks like you tried to get some overlap, I think what's missing is shadows to drop the path below the greenery. And, as a personal request, add some translucent arrows showing the movement from the previous panel to create a better panel-to-panel transition.

TECHNIQUE: ****
STYLE: *****
ORIGINALITY: ****

Recommendations:
1) Change the water's saturation and add some depth with shadows/glows to make the shores brighter than the bodies.
2) Add shadows over the paths to drop their elevation below the vegetation.
3) (Optional) Add some arrows 'cause they look cool.

Overall a great map and a likely vote from me. Keep up your great work SG.