PDA

View Full Version : December Entry: The March of Brian the Foul

Sagenlicht
12-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Hmm this month challenge idea is about defending a keep located on a plateau. I decided to make it a winter campaign and Brian the Foul will comand a horde of orcs and humans.

The first WiP just shows my first idea of the setup, I placed a tent of the attackers for a scale reference, though I am not sure if I have to scale the thent down a bit more.

Anyways I think I will need quite a few steps to complete this, so this should be fun to watch evoling :)

As always I hope for some C&C :)

Ah well and I messed up the title... please change it to December Entry: The March of Brian the Foul
Thanks

### Latest WIP ###

torstan
12-07-2008, 07:13 PM
That looks more like rock than snow at the moment to me. I like the plateau though. That should certainly limit the avenues of attack.

ravells
12-07-2008, 07:18 PM
I love the black and white feel, and the contrast (I hope you keep it) and I love the name too. With such a great name, I hope you work it into the map. 'Brian the Foul' . For me the name conjures up a comedic anti-hero. I hope this is a map which doesn't take itself too seriously...

RobA
12-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Fixed the title.

-Rob A>

joćo paulo
12-12-2008, 08:03 PM
it's likes a moon terrain to me,sorry!

Steel General
12-12-2008, 11:10 PM
I think maybe it needs a bit of a blue tint to show off the snow and/or ice, unless it's just a light covering of snow over rock.

Looking forward to seeing your next update.

Sagenlicht
12-13-2008, 07:12 AM
@torstan
I am not yet finished with the snow overlay for the mountain, though my plans are too add snow mostly to the plateaus and ofc to the buildings.

@ravells
thanks :) though I didnt plan to add to much comedy to it :?

@RobA
thanks, I fumbled it :|

@joćo paulo
the vegetation is missing yet, and the difference between a moonlike and a mountainlike landscape is often the vegetation. Keep an eye on the improvements and tell me if it improves in your eyes :)

@SG
I really hope I will make some nice advancements this weekend, as I had no time to do something the last three days :(

Sagenlicht
12-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Ok, I started to work on the small town.

I thought it is maybe easier to cut off some parts for the WiPs, so its laoding faster for you.

Its just a small update, but it should give you a feeling about the defenders.

Please note, that the snow will be added at the end, when everything else is done.

### Latest WIP ###

Sagenlicht
12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Hmm atm I dont have much time on my hands to work on anything I want to :/

So this is just a small update again, I am getting close to finish the village under siege. Gonna call it Nordheim.

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
12-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Lookin' good so far! At this rate, you should be done by end of month. Are those tiny skulls I see on some of your buildings?

GP

Sagenlicht
12-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks GP :)

This update is bringing in the attacking force, a combination of orcs and humans, lead by Brian the Foul, an evil wizard.

### Latest WIP ###

Sagenlicht
12-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Lookin' good so far! At this rate, you should be done by end of month. Are those tiny skulls I see on some of your buildings?

GP

Hmm funny... I assume you refer to the attached hut right? I never noticed it before, I always thought its a large stone keeping the roof in place... but if you look closer it could be something like as skull as well.

So I cant answer your question, all mapping elements are taken from the Dundjinni forum, as I lack the possibility of creating nice objects myself. I assume I could do a few items in GIMP but actually I dont know what tool I should use to actually render objects myself. I am open to suggestions.

Right now I try to find some nice looking siege machnies, which is harder than I thought :/

Steel General
12-18-2008, 06:46 PM
I used some in my Black Tower map and I got those from Dundjinni. Do a search under 'weapons' (if you haven't already).

jfrazierjr
12-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Hmm funny... I assume you refer to the attached hut right? I never noticed it before, I always thought its a large stone keeping the roof in place... but if you look closer it could be something like as skull as well.

So I cant answer your question, all mapping elements are taken from the Dundjinni forum, as I lack the possibility of creating nice objects myself. I assume I could do a few items in GIMP but actually I dont know what tool I should use to actually render objects myself. I am open to suggestions.

Right now I try to find some nice looking siege machnies, which is harder than I thought :/

gmsapprentice.com get the CSUAC, which has several fantasy weapons (the Equipment download....) The Fractal Mapper one is probably the best one to get for file size/format. DON'T get the Dunjinni one since those are in native Dunjinni format.

bryguy
12-19-2008, 09:19 AM

oh, we're allowed to use stuff from the dundjinni forums?

man that would have been nice to know..... ive been tryin to make catapults for to long

ill post some links from some i found on dundjinni

Kinda Sorta siege engines:
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=7496&KW=weapons

Some cool looking warriors:

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=10221&KW=weapons

Heres alot of really cool looking creatures:

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=9615&KW=creatures&PN=0&TPN=1

Gamerprinter
12-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Bryguy - of course you can use Dundjinni Forum map objects for your challenge maps! Consider that most of these maps will never be commercially marketed, just about everything (unless stated otherwise) falls into Creative Commons Use license. Challenge Maps are perfectly legal under Dundjinni EULA license restrictions.

Me, I'd never use a Dundjinni Forums map object. In fact I'd never use content created by someone else - but that's just me, I'd rather create everything from scratch, always. I'm an artist and purist in that sense.

I might just market anything I design, and still apply a CC License for non-commercial use.

You can almost always use Dundjinni content for a challenge map.

GP

PS: I have a 3D trebuche that I created some years back, I could render a top-down if you need it. I could always model a catapult and/or ballista as well, but then that would be the second month in a row, that I provided a map object for Sagenlight's challenge entry. :P

Steel General
12-19-2008, 01:37 PM
@GP - If I was a good enough artist, I probably would make my own stuff as well, so I understand where you are coming from. There's a certain satisfaction to using your own creations.

@Sage - here are some of the siege engines I used you may or may not have already seen these.

Steel General
12-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Here's a couple more...

Sagenlicht
12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks alot all for your replies :)

I got the CSUAC but they just the offer a few siege items. I guess I'll stick with them then.

@GP
I am with SG, I'd prefer to create my own items as well, but I havent found a good way to do them, as I am not a real good artist at all.

RobA
12-19-2008, 09:52 PM
I know many of the people in the DJ forums use RealDraw: http://www.mediachance.com/realdraw/

I played with the demo. It is really easy to use to create nice looking objects like map elements.

-Rob A>

Sagenlicht
12-22-2008, 07:13 PM
hmm just another small update :(

I'll plan to get alot more done tomorrow, but here is a small update anyways.

I started to add some details on the map.

@RobA
Thanks for the link. I wonder if something similar could be done with Inkscape?

### Latest WIP ###

Sagenlicht
12-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Ok while I worked a bit more on my entry I got sick of that white... so I discarded the entire winter and plateau idea.

Here is my new version. It still got the same idea behind it, its just not on a plateau anymore and forget the snow :)

Let me know what you think about it.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
12-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Both versions are good... though honestly I kinda liked the winter scene better.

But it's your entry so enter the one you like the best. :)

jfrazierjr
12-23-2008, 09:42 PM
I agree with SG... both good, me like winter better.

Ascension
12-24-2008, 01:09 AM
I like this new one better: the snow only looked like snow on certain parts while the rest looked like a gravel bed, and also the big rock thingy/cliff looks pretty cool, and also I can see the shantytown better (it's probably some sort of bivouac but I just like saying shantytown).

ravells
12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Both beautiful...I can't decide between them! What would be nice (if it's possible) is to see some of the snow or if you're using the summer scene the rock broken out into the flat bit so that the transition is less extreme.

Ascension
12-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Ooo crumbly rocks (sounds cooler than scree) at the base would be cool.

bryguy
12-24-2008, 11:03 PM
ooooooh! love the new verson! the white hurts my eyes :(

how do you do the rocks? it looks totally awesome!

Gandwarf
12-25-2008, 06:07 AM
I think the new version is better also. Very impressive work!

Sagenlicht
12-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks all for your comments :)

@SG + JF
well maybe I'll do a winter version later on for you :)

@Ascension and ravells
hmm some scattered rocks would be a nice idea, maybe I'll get some time tomorrow to add them but right now I just wanted to finish it in time. This month I had less time to work on the challenge then I actually thought and hoped.

@bryguy
When I get some time on my hands I'll do a short post four you, but in the end its just playing around with a heightfield.

@Gandwarf
Thank you very much :)

Ok so here we go, I just added a small border and added a short description of whats happening /think about that like the Star Wars Movie intros :)

As I dont know if I do another WiP here is what I used for this map:

The picture of the chariot is taken from http://www.fromoldbooks.org/ and is public domain.

Textures for the landscape are either taken from
NOCTUA Graphics (http://www.noctua-graphics.de/english/fraset_e.htm), which are free for comercial and personal use or
http://www.davegh.com/blade/davegh.htm, which are either free for personal use only or both personal or commercial use, depending on the texture. A further limitation for those textures is, that it may not be used in videogames.

All Mapping elements are either taken from
The Dundjinni forums (http://dundjinni.com/forums/) or
greytale.com (http://greytale.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1). Close to all elements posted in there are free for both personal and commercial use, only few are for personal use only.

The map was entirely done in GIMP including heightfield generation.

### Latest WIP ###

joćo paulo
12-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Good too!
The moss on the rock and dirty paper was what I liked most.

aiRo25
12-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Awesome map! I've been lurking this thread, but I had to pipe up for this one.

ravells
12-28-2008, 09:12 PM
God, that is stunning.