PDA

View Full Version : December Entry: River Police Station

Gamerprinter
12-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Since I'm NOT sponsoring this month's challenge, "I get to participate!"

As far as which method - hand-drawn, 3D rendered, or otherwise digitally created, I haven't decided. If do go hand-drawn, creating a 3D model for reference is still a good thing, so this is the way I begin...

The Sack of Seagaard: Day 5, Eve of Destruction...
In retaliation for the continued occupation of the Elaran Shore by the armies of Dernallion, Enythaar, the Last High King of the Elves, has planned the Burning of the Dernallion Shore, but must first take Seagaard, as the military fortress dominated the entrance to Dernmouth Harbor. With Seagaard taken, the elven fleet can prevent the Dernallion navy from entering the channel and becoming a major force in this Elven revenge plot.

The naval fortress of Seagaard has many artillery platforms bristling its ramparts, thus controlling access to the harbor and protecting the royal fleet. An underground stream running from the distant hills exits the sea from beneath the fortress providing water, as well as subterranean access to the shore at the peninsula's end - allowing food, supplies, weapons and additional soldiers to keep the fortress at full stock at all times. Under normal circumstances, this fortress is both unassailable and resistant to seige.

The Elven High King has called upon the deities of the sea to aid in sacking Seagaard - divine intervention will turn the tide on this day!

The image below is just an idea of the fortification under siege... much more to come!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
12-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Excellent as always GP! When I first saw the title I though you were doing something to this map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2755) I had created a while ago, then I came to my senses. God I hate Monday Mornings :D

Redrobes
12-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Oh eck - its another good un...

Gamerprinter
12-09-2008, 01:12 AM
I've decided to go 3D isometric with as much photo realism as I can muster. I need to populate those platforms with ballistae, trebuche and catapults. I need to man those fortifications with defenders. I'm going to fill that water area with boats, some with their own firing platforms, others with gangways and ladders. I plan to thrown a couple pegasi flying elven knights, and perhaps a giant wave coming in from the right side of the map.

The water is from a CGTextures photo, that I've used here and there, but never at its potential - this map really shows the true value of that texture!

What do you think so far? :?:

The fortress has been rendered isometrically, yet it still has a realistic feel. Notice the waterfall coming from between the south-facing ballistae abutments - this is from the underground stream.

I'm likin' it!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Sagenlicht
12-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Oh thats looking nice GP :)

The water is a real eye catcher.

Redrobes
12-09-2008, 08:26 AM
The water is looking good. I think the scale of the texture for the water and rock are a bit large compared with the fort tho. It looks a bit like those tilt shift movies.

Steel General
12-09-2008, 08:40 AM
I agree with RedRobes on size of the water as compared to the fort, though everything is looking very good so far.

torstan
12-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Looks very good (disturbingly so !). You need to foreshorten those textures. At the moment it feels that the textured areas are top down, particularly the rock, and the castle is iso. Also, there are some weird edges in the water texture - SE of the castle there's a curved line between light and dark that is a strange area to see.

Talroth
12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm really liking the castle, but the base map you're setting it on could use revising. The water just isn't working for me, it looks like you've taken a close up photo of small wave action in very shallow water, at the very edge of the surf. (as in it looks like what I expect to see water doing when it has spread out to just a few mm deep, high on a long sloping shore. This isn't how I expect to see deep water off a rocky coast acting.)

Honestly I would almost suggest looking into rendering the water as its own 3d model. I know there are several tool sets out there for doing so. It would give you far more control over what you are doing.

One other thing, as currently rendered, the 'watefall' looks more like some kind of channel level with the rest of the water. Might help if you rotate your castle a little so we're not looking squarely at it.

Gamerprinter
12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm really liking the castle, but the base map you're setting it on could use revising. The water just isn't working for me, it looks like you've taken a close up photo of small wave action in very shallow water, at the very edge of the surf. (as in it looks like what I expect to see water doing when it has spread out to just a few mm deep, high on a long sloping shore. This isn't how I expect to see deep water off a rocky coast acting.)

Actually you've danced around what I'm really trying to do here (not that that water graphic doesn't need some kind of help, but...) I plan to place Tsunami coming in from the east of the map. I was thinking of pulling the water back away from the shoreline to build up the wave that's oncoming. First I wanted to try heavily churning "shallow" water as the it's drawing towards the Tsunami. Again, all very experimental.

I also plan to place some ship/boats in that water to hide some of its inconsistencies and as part of the besiegers.

I may make some changes, but there lots more going into the map, and a good chance what follows will cover up what's wrong with it right now. We'll have to see.

GP

Ascension
12-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Reminds me a bit of Alexander's sack of Cyprus.

jfrazierjr
12-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Based on your other thread, I kind of hope you do switch this thread up to do a Battletech siege(complete with backstory!)

Gamerprinter
12-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Based on your other thread, I kind of hope you do switch this thread up to do a Battletech siege(complete with backstory!)

Should I try that as a top-down BT styled map, or keep it in ISO. My only issue is that I'd have to create some more 3D mechs. I created the madcat I'm using for my new avatar, because I 3D modeled that one years ago. But that's the only Mech I've made to 3D.

Either way, however, I'm going to need to create some more Mechs. And all those explosions, laser fire, missles, this might get more complicated than I'd hoped, but alas, such are the tasks I lay before me.

GP

jfrazierjr
12-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Should I try that as a top-down BT styled map, or keep it in ISO. My only issue is that I'd have to create some more 3D mechs. I created the madcat I'm using for my new avatar, because I 3D modeled that one years ago. But that's the only Mech I've made to 3D.

Either way, however, I'm going to need to create some more Mechs. And all those explosions, laser fire, missles, this might get more complicated than I'd hoped, but alas, such are the tasks I lay before me.

GP

Well... I am up for either. It's been ages since I have had a chance to play BT, so either way, I would be fine. As you say, doing ISO would be quite a bit more work, but it also may be just the thing to put you over the edge in the competition if you can find the time.

Gamerprinter
12-09-2008, 09:39 PM
You know what might look cool and give it that map look over 3D illustration is to place a hex grid on the ground surface beneath all those fighting Mechs, while still keeping it ISO. OK, Jfrazierjr - you talked me into it. Now I got think of a new name to change the title of this thread... hmmm.

GP

Steel General
12-09-2008, 09:39 PM
I would normally say do whatever you think you'll have time for, but since you work at such high-speed (compared to most), I say do what appeals most to you. :)

jfrazierjr
12-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Now I got think of a new name to change the title of this thread... hmmm.

I have always been fond of Metal Mayhem, but I am weird....

Redrobes
12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Almost ISO... maybe but definitely top down :)

Edit -- oh yeah, and not strictly BT either but space marines instead. Close enough tho ?

Gamerprinter
12-09-2008, 10:48 PM
OK, in celebration of my "shiny new badge", could a CL please change the title of this thread to December Entry: River Police Station

This is a Jade Falcon controlled planet. At a river crossing, leading to the "back way" into the military testing facility, the Clan River Police is responsible for maintaining the border 'round back. This is a key crossing as most mechs are unable to walk or jump across anywhere up or down stream for almost 100 miles. Steep mountain canyons surround most of this alpine river. (Don't worry I'll be dreaming up a nice backstory, for now tidbits.)

GP

jfrazierjr
12-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Title Changed.

Bohunk
12-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Love the badge gp, well deserved. Love the map so far.

Gamerprinter
12-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Just playing with some ideas. I used the map design I made for my last BT map series. Created a rough landform in 3D of it, placed the fort and an unpainted Madcat on the board. This may not be my direction, just seeing how this way worked. Enjoy!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
12-11-2008, 08:59 AM
As a somewhat eccentric highschool teacher of mine used to say...

"Neater Than Sneakers!"

Sagenlicht
12-11-2008, 08:22 PM
wow, thats a stunning nice work GP :)

torstan
12-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Yep, it's the way he just drops something like that down after a few days as a 'sketch'. Just stunning. Good work.

ravells
12-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Fabulous! the 3d is strong in this one!!

joćo paulo
12-12-2008, 08:52 PM
nyce idea the isometric view.Good pics.

Gamerprinter
12-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Still playing, but I think this is the direction I plan to go - more details and more mechs of course (with textures too).

This time I used a true isometric camera to do the rendering. I changed the textures on the fortress to look less medieval (I still have to add guns to those platforms). I added a dropship, since the besiegers are supposed to be overwhelming - this makes it more overwhelming!

This is a low resolution preview. I'll create much high res, when its closer to completion.

GP

PS: thanks for all the praise, my head's getting so big, I can't hold it up anymore!

### Latest WIP ###

Sagenlicht
12-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Once again an improvement GP :)

Do you render the fortress in Xara? If yes could you maybe do a short tutorial about it? I would like to see how you do it.

If not, what are you using for it?

Ascension
12-13-2008, 02:34 PM
That lil mech looks so cute...can I say cute? Anyway, nice job so far.

Gamerprinter
12-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Once again an improvement GP :)

Do you render the fortress in Xara? If yes could you maybe do a short tutorial about it? I would like to see how you do it.

If not, what are you using for it?

Xara is not a 3D application. The only thing done by Xara in this map is the texure on the surface - that is the forest, ground, water, stony textures - the image on the terrain is all Xara.

The rest of this design was created using Raydream Studio, an old, nolonger supported 3D application - its the first 3D software I got, and its easy to use, but the rendering isn't all that.

The dropship and the Madcat were modeled using Izware Nendo. I will be creating a few more mechs and probably redoing the mountains with Nendo, texture applied in Raydream and re-rendered.

I created a height map based on the Xara terrain design, used a 3D terrain generator (built into Raydream) to create that 3D surface.

That's about it, so far!

GP

jfrazierjr
12-13-2008, 06:00 PM
:) will there be missiles and explosions??? Please say yes!!!

Gamerprinter
12-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Yes.

GP

Gamerprinter
12-15-2008, 12:46 AM
OK, I already got a Madcat and its on the map already.

I borrowed a friends miniatures box of mechs, because I need to create at least 3 different kinds of mechs to populate this siege map. The thing is, I have no idea what Battlemech this is - does anyone have an idea! I just thought it looked cool. It looks slightly smaller than a Madcat, maybe in the 65 to 80 ton range with what looks like two large lasers or large pulse lasers on each arm, and missle batteries in the side torsos.

I need to create one more mech, probably one of the smaller humanoid looking mechs, 50 tonner with jump jets. I want a Mech jumping off those mountains to the right bottom of the map.

Once all the mechs are designed and textured - I will start to work on missles in flight with smoke trails, exploding missles and laser energy shots, perhaps a couple misses with explosions, one on soil and one in the river. Then I'll wrap up this map design.

Tell me which mech I created if you please!!!

GP

Ascension
12-15-2008, 12:54 AM
I don't know if they're BattleTech or not but I got some mechs from the SketchUp warehouse...an X-Caliber, X-Caliber Lone Wolf, and a Nexus. There are more there and I can snag some if ya want. I can only export them as .kmz but could easily output some .jpgs for ya.

Midgardsormr
12-15-2008, 01:03 AM
I believe that is a Vulture. The Clan version is called Mad Dog.

Gamerprinter
12-15-2008, 01:12 AM
I don't know if they're BattleTech or not but I got some mechs from the SketchUp warehouse...an X-Caliber, X-Caliber Lone Wolf, and a Nexus. There are more there and I can snag some if ya want. I can only export them as .kmz but could easily output some .jpgs for ya.

Thanks Ascension, I really do appreciate the offer, but I prefer to create my own. People remark how fast I am at creating maps/graphics - part of the reason though, is I never use other people's map objects or clipart for graphics, other than photos/textures (which I borrow lots for my work). Thus I am less efficient or fast, because I don't use other's art. I'm a purist in my art - I want a hand in everything I create, that's how I am.

And Thanks, Midgardsormr! I'll be asking again, after I create my next mech!

GP

PS: my plan for some cool backstory, is I'll be creating a two or three page comic with the backstory, and the last page, being the iso-map itself. Fun, huh?

GP

jfrazierjr
12-15-2008, 09:33 AM
I have always been partial to the Atlas or Awesome for defenders due to the armor and firepower.

Notsonoble
12-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Oh wow, and I thought this looked good on the CBT site... Very nice... (also i sense that be it wolves or vipers that attack us falcons... the Lyran term "hozed" best describes their fate!)

Gamerprinter
12-16-2008, 01:32 AM
While I was creating my missle models, practicing with smoke trail graphics, I decided to create the cover art for my comic book - the theme for the backstory (just add some extra fun!)

I'm doing some research on the Wolf Clan and the Jade Falcon Clan to get the story "right". Clan Wolf has received some Intel that the Jade Falcon planet called Samarkand is a secret black ops science laboratory - and its a little too close to Wolf Clan space lanes. So it needs to be eliminated.

Anyway, enjoy - I really hope to create a 2 or 3 page comic to go with this...

GP

(oh, no WIP tag, since this isn't the actual map)

jfrazierjr
12-16-2008, 10:35 AM
While I was creating my missle models, practicing with smoke trail graphics, I decided to create the cover art for my comic book - the theme for the backstory (just add some extra fun!)

I'm doing some research on the Wolf Clan and the Jade Falcon Clan to get the story "right". Clan Wolf has received some Intel that the Jade Falcon planet called Samarkand is a secret black ops science laboratory - and its a little too close to Wolf Clan space lanes. So it needs to be eliminated.

Is this pre or post invasion? If pre-invasion, then it would be cool to show a panel or two of the batchall* process.

* For those not in the know about Battletech, the clans were honorable warriors who would announce their plans to invade prior to the actual invasion and both attacker and defender would promise x resources to be part of the battle. This had a practical reason in that resources were scarce, so conservation was king. It also reduced battles from superior firepower to superior tactics while maintaining resourses. It's a form of the old 70's game show name that tune ("I can beat your forces with 500 tons of mechs Bob") If either side cheated and was caught by using more force than was announced during the batchall, a trial by all the clans would be held with the typical verdict that cheater loose status, be censured, or even in extreme cases, be annialated. The general rules did not say that the "bid" forces must be part of the engagement from the begining, so an occasional clan tactic was to hold a large force in reserve for attacking just prior to "surrender" to attempt to catch the attackers off guard.