PDA

View Full Version : Hello There

melissah
12-08-2008, 04:48 AM
I'm Melissah (you don't say! :o). I'm 24, I live in Australia, I have a puppy named Chelsea and I don't know anything about map-making. I recently grabbed a copy of CC3 and, while I love the ability to create a rather nice-looking map in a short amount of time, when I decided to create a world for a new project, I found myself picking up an HB pencil, a good quality eraser and a sketch book that happened to by laying around.

With no background in art--unless you count a picture of a pregnant fairy that I always used to draw on rainy school days--I'm expecting my potential masterpiece to be a big fat flop. I'm really just here to reap the rewards of a community filled with so many talented people.

Oh, and if you're a girl, feel free to contact me. It's always nice to meet other ladies who are interested in the geekier things in life. ;)

Steel General
12-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Welcome Aboard Melissah!

I hereby banish your 'Blue Pip O'Anonimity' *bonk*

Redrobes
12-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi Melisah, We have a few Aussies marked on the members map (link in sig below) which you might like to add to. Also on my sig is a keyword index list of threads. Look for CC3 and theres loads of stuff for that inclusing tutorials. Sometimes its hard to know whether members are girls or not based on the member handle. Our most nerdy member (after some investigation into what computer set ups we all used) turned out to be Anna doing Greyhawk maps so look up that on the list too and see her beautiful maps.

Sagenlicht
12-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Hi Melissah,

welcome aboard :)

While CC3 is nice for sure (or at least I guess so as I dont have it ;) ) if you are enjoying pencil drawing you maybe should consider trying out using something like GIMP or even better Inkscape and a tablet instead of a mouse. You can find some nice hand drawn maps on this board, e.g. one done by RobA: found here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1729)

Both, GIMP and Inkscape are free, so you can simply download them and give it a try.

You'll find them here:

GIMP for Windows (http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html)
Inkscape (http://inkscape.org/download/?lang=de)

Now if you can use CC for handdrawn maps feel free to shoot me :)

melissah
12-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks guys.

Steel General: Thank you for, er, bonking my blue anonymity dot?

Redrobes: Nice to hear that there are a few Aussies around and that there is at least one girl around!

EDIT:

Sagenlicht: Thanks for linking me to RobA's gorgeous map and suggesting Inkscape. I've already got my hands on GIMP. I'm a Photoshop user, but decided to go for the free version. There's a learning curve, but it seems really powerful. I'll definitely be checking out his tutorial!

RobA
12-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Melissah-

Since SG didn't seem to be able to give you rep, and you said nice things about my map, I have given you some reputation on his behalf.

Hope you enjoy it here... lots of friendly folk.

-Rob A>

Steel General
12-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I guess my 'rep cudgel' doesn't quite give enough to get them above 0 rep, but at least it gets rid of the blue pip! :D

Arcana
12-08-2008, 11:39 AM
there are no girls on the internet...but I'll rep you anyways ;)

Welcome aboard ;) Don't mind me ;)

Ruedy
12-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Welcome aboard!

NeonKnight
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Welcome Melissa.

Any questions of CC3 feel free to send out a Shout, I am the sorta CC3 expert here ;)

ravells
12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the Guild, Melissah!

Ascension
12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Welcome to The Guild.

There are a lot of Photoshop users here and quite a few GIMPers as well as some awesome pencil and paper masters. Look through the forums to find what inspires ya most...there's probably a tutorial and there is almost certainly a WIP (work in progress) thread that covers the process of how a certain map was made and how the artist thought their way through it and executed it.

As far as ladies, there's also Vehuviah's (I think) girlfriend...she did the play doh town a few months back.

Arcana
12-08-2008, 05:02 PM
that would be korrigan's girlfriend.

Gamerprinter
12-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the site Mellisah!

Off the top of my head, I can think of four female members, here... Sigurd, Lord, Anna and Chelsea, though I am sure there are more!

Chelsea is barely ever here, Lord participates in some of the challenges, Sigurd is very much a regular, so I'm sure you'll see her sometime when you pop in here, and Anna, is our most famous female - she's the creator of a great and ongoing set of Greyhawk Maps (her site is GHMaps.net - check it out!) Anna does pop in once every couple of weeks or so.

Let's see an upload of your pregnant faerie! And maybe try out an experimental map and let us critique it - so you can get better at that!

Again, welcome!

GP

ravells
12-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Not forgetting our challenge winner Amonite (or are Amonite and Chelsea the same person?)

Gamerprinter
12-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I forgot Amonite! And no Chelsea and Amonite are two different gals!

GP

Arcana
12-08-2008, 06:11 PM
wow...so there really are girls on the intarwebz? hehehe

Gandwarf
12-08-2008, 06:23 PM
I just wanted to say hi!

And also I think it's hilarious that you already have 24 reputation for just showing up :P

melissah
12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks, guys. You can tell a lot about a forum by how many replies you get in your introduction thread. I bet you lot are swell, totally groovy-like.

And may I just say that the few hours that I've been a member here have taught me absolutely invaluable lessons about map making! There are some talented people here!

Oh, and Gandwarf, I'd say I've been given all that rep for giving everyone an excuse to scope out chicks. And because I'm witty and amazing.

Gandwarf
12-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Oh, and Gandwarf, I'd say I've been given all that rep for giving everyone an excuse to scope out chicks. And because I'm witty and amazing.

Haha. If you are indeed a female is still to be decided:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you're_a_dog

Of course just kidding. Male. Female. Welcome.

Steel General
12-08-2008, 07:33 PM

*claps* Well said... :D

Arcana
12-09-2008, 12:16 AM

10 of it came from my mighty admin grand claive of rep boosting...I don't swing it very often...I should though. And I probably shouldn't say this, but myself and the other CL's are totally snickering about how much attention this thread is getting ;)

But I say again...all joking aside, glad yer learning stuff and welcome aboard.

RobA
12-09-2008, 12:18 AM
(oooh, I 'm getting rep envy now, I've only got an 8 ... ;) )

-Rob A>

Arcana
12-09-2008, 12:25 AM
thing is, I'm fixed at 10...you could eventually surpass my hard coded admin amount...then I'll have to up the admin amount...bwahahaha. (evil laugh for ceremonial purposes only)

Ascension
12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
It's not how big yer rep is...it's how ya use it...or how wide.

melissah
12-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks again to everyone for a very warm--and very amusing--welcome.

Turgenev
12-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Welcome to the Guild, Melissah.