PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everybody!

nuada
12-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I just found this board today, from a link at hirstarts.com, and love the site. The community seems very friendly (and frighteningly adept at map-making, which, I suppose is the whole point).

Anyway, I'm an RPG'er, occasional GM, even more occasionally, a writer of insufferable fiction.

I'll definitely be lurking here, though, until I can work up the courage to decide on some good map-making software and start asking newbie questions with doe-eyes and hopeful half-smiles.

Again, really nice place you've got here. I'm really glad I found it.

Nuada

Ascension
12-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Welcome to The Guild. The best way I've always found to learn something is to jump in, make a few mistakes, and learn from them. I say, "Ya don't learn anything if ya do it perfect the very first time". Needless to say, I'm no physicist or doctor with that kind of attitude :) Anyway, glad to have ya here.

Steel General
12-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Welcome Aboard!

I hereby banish your 'Blue Pip O'Anonimity *bonk*

Ruedy
12-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi, have fun!

Turgenev
12-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Welcome to the Guild, nuada of the Silverhand. ;)

NeonKnight
12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Vandy
12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Hello, Nuada, and welcome to Cartographers' Guild.

As a new member myself, I echo your comments on this great site.

All the best to you and I look forward to chatting with you again.

Regards,

Gary

Greason Wolfe
12-11-2008, 05:50 PM
I'll definitely be lurking here, though, until I can work up the courage to decide on some good map-making software and start asking newbie questions with doe-eyes and hopeful half-smiles.

I think we've all had that feeling at some point. I've only been here for a few days and I've already seen some amazing work by some of the other members, so you've picked a good place to get some tips when you're ready for them.

Welcome Aboard.

GW

Gamerprinter
12-11-2008, 06:59 PM
The only way to really improve in your cartography is to do it.

Look at Torq, when he first started posting GIMP created maps - he had lots of room for improvement. In six months after regular map posts, he was creating masterworks.

You've got to start somewhere. Don't feel intimidated - we are the most friendly critiquing crowd you're likely to find. Post an ugly map, we'll guide you to making a masterpiece in no time.

Don't wait to post a map - start posting something as soon as you can, no matter what it looks like to you.

GP

jfrazierjr
12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I have to echo what GP said.... I am still learning, but I think I have come a long way(when I can actually get something completed!) in the short 6 months I have been really active around here. I would say, the BEST way to get better is to pick a tutorial and do the whole thing, start to end.... RobAs Regional map or Pyrandon's City are reallly good starting points, but there are plenty of others also.

RobA
12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Hope Torq doesn't read that :D

At least you didn't link to his first map, like I did when I said the same thing, once :P

-Rob A>

Steel General
12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I can only echo what the others have been saying, my maps have improved dramatically in the few months I've been active here.

It's not just the practice of making maps, but the honest opinions, critiques and ideas put forth by the other members of the guild which will help you to improve.

ravells
12-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the guild. Everything you need to start your journey of mapmaking is here, from the software available, techniques as to how to use it and finished products you can emulate. Have fun and I hope your map making skills are improved by the site!