PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] Map of Dolmen Isle [commissioned]

torstan
12-09-2008, 07:20 PM
This map was created for a commission from the mapmaking requests forum. The brief was to create a line art, black and white map that would look good printed at 11" by 17" at 300dpi. The request was for an island and a sketch was provided showing where the different elements needed to go.

This was a joy to complete and a great chance to pin down a style that I had started to play with on a map for a book. The large format and high resolution of this commission gave me a lot more freedom to play with detail and texturing than a low resolution book map. The basic land forms were laid down and the main features outlined using the in tool. Then rather than going in to colour the map as I would normally do, I went through it texturing the different elements. I am particularly happy with the isometric mountains that feel like they give a proper focal point to the map.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with useful comments and encouragement while I was putting this together, and thanks to Nonsequitur for commissioning it!

Here's the final map at full and web resolutions.

Full:

Web:

Here's the WIP thread:
[Commission Piece] Map of an Island (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3575)

and here's the commission thread:
[Paid, send PM] Island-Based Campaign Map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3447)

Edit: Maps replaced with new isometric icons after RobA's comment which kept me honest!

Steel General
12-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Most excellent, a stunning example of hand-drawn mapping! Bravo!!

jfrazierjr
12-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Most excellent, a stunning example of hand-drawn mapping! Bravo!!

I most assuredly agree! I only hope to one day create such a masterpiece...

Vandy
12-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Hello, torstan.

It is hard to find the right words to use to describe your map. Delicious comes to mind as does breathtaking, achingly beautiful, exquisite eye candy, detail extrodinare...

Whatever words one finds, the results will be the same -- you've produced a wonderfully beautiful masterpiece. I can only hope to attain a portion of your skill as I continue my mapping journey.

Thank you for sharing this beauty.

Regards,

Gary

torstan
12-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Well I think we've just found the definition of fulsome praise!

Thanks a lot Vandy and welcome to the site. Thanks also Joe and SG. It's great to have the encouragement of people on this site - and the detailed criticisms that force us to get better.

landorl
12-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I loved following this in the WIP thread. It has turned out great!

Ascension
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Fan freakin tastic...as always big T. Those mountains alone are worth the effort, not to mention the swamp and barrens.

RPMiller
12-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Merry Christmas

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=40887#post40887

;)

Midgardsormr
12-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Congratulations! And well-deserved.

Karro
12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Agreed. It is a most excellent map, and it was fun to watch it evolve.

torstan
12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks all, and thanks to RP and the CLs for the shiny new scroll! It was great fun to do this map and pin down a new style. Thanks for the comments.

amclean
03-21-2009, 03:15 PM
looks great, looks greater in high-res!

overlordchuck
03-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Woah! Words fail me.

Benarius
03-22-2009, 01:50 AM
I can't draw by hand. Just can't.

This is amazing.

I have noticed looking at it for the 3rd time that it resembles the continent of Australia. Including Tasmania and New Zealand. Was that intentional?

Regards

Benarius

torstan
03-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments. This was a really fun map to create and allowed me to focus on the line art that I hadn't had a chance to work on for a map of this size. I'm really pleased with how it came out. It certainly wasn't intentional that it looked like Australia - if it were then those Dolmens are even more oversized than I thought!

AltairUniverse
03-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Exquisite. From afar, it looks like a woodcut print (a bit more like the maps you see in 17th cent. Europe), but from up close you can see all of the finely inked lines and rich detail.

tania
03-27-2009, 08:56 PM
I like it! So much! ^_^ thank you for sharing!

StillCypher
03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Amazing piece of work and beautiful detail -- not at all unexpected from you! :)

Naeddyr
03-31-2009, 01:18 PM
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh308/kelaninator/Moar.jpg

Especially those mountains. those mountains. THOSE MOUNTAINS.