PDA

View Full Version : Cityscape - Playing with an Idea

Turgenev
12-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Here's one of the things I've been working on lately... a quick and roughly drawn section of a fantasy city.

I took this drawing and turned it into a burnt parchment version (basically a potential handout for my players).

LOL! I'm not sure where I'm going with this idea. I'm just experimenting to see what I can come up with. ;)

Gamerprinter
12-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Nice job! I like where this is going - can't wait to see more. Have some REP!

GP

Turgenev
12-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Thanks GP. I think I am going to work on the parchment idea and then go back to the original drawing and do something completely different with it. ;)

Here's the latest version of the parchment version.

ravells
12-12-2008, 06:54 AM
I REALLY like the building shapes and distribution. Did you do this in CC3?
Have some rep!

Steel General
12-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Interesting idea - is the dungeon machine down for maintenance? :D

Gandwarf
12-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Looks cool, interesting and unique. This is a map that I would expect in a game, where characters are visiting a city or something.

Turgenev
12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
I REALLY like the building shapes and distribution. Did you do this in CC3?
Have some rep!

I did it the old fashion way - I drew it out by hand. :P

Turgenev
12-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Interesting idea - is the dungeon machine down for maintenance? :D
Heh heh, I'm just going back to basics. I used to always draw my city maps this way (back in the day). I thought I would give it a try again but use the computer to enhance the final product (and to fix any little mistakes that crop up). :P

thebax2k
12-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Very cool Turgenev. Your neighborhood reminds me of the city geomorphs in the 80's TSR D&D Lankhmar Book. I liked how the core of the neighborhoods on the city map in that book had blank squares for the geomorphs so that no two campaigns in Lankhmar were exactly the same.

Turgenev
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Very cool Turgenev. Your neighborhood reminds me of the city geomorphs in the 80's TSR D&D Lankhmar Book. I liked how the core of the neighborhoods on the city map in that book had blank squares for the geomorphs so that no two campaigns in Lankhmar were exactly the same.

Yup, the Lankhmar sourcebook definitely had a big influence on my city maps. That sourcebook & its maps rock! :) Unfortunately I have misplaced the maps (the colour map is somewhere here but alas, I don't have a clue about the location of the booklet) but at least I still have the main sourcebook.

Turgenev
12-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Okay, I've tweaked the parchment and came up with this...
I'm thinking this map could be a focal point for an urban campaign/adventure. Obviously someone wants the map badly and will kill for it (hence the blood stains). Perhaps it holds a secret that someone doesn't want discovered. Hmmm... I can think of several ideas I could use this with. ;)

Turgenev
12-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I've also tweaked the black & white cityscape map to help make the buildings stand out better.

I'm thinking of maybe drawing up a bunch of these maps so I can put them together to form a larger city map. That would be a long term goal because it took me forever to draw the original map. :lol: Basically I would draw a bunch of buildings (until my hand cramped up from holding the pen) and then put the map away. The next day, I would rotate the piece of paper (so I was working from a different angle) and draw another batch of buildings. I repeated this process until I filled up the paper. ;)

thebax2k
12-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Creating geomorphs of your own would be quite cool Turgenev. If I recall the Lankhmar geomorphs, not all of them showed a warren of alleys and houses. Some had a park in them, some had a plaza, a market, a large open area bisected by a ditch, an important building (jail, church), etc. Good luck.

Turgenev
12-13-2008, 12:07 PM
I couldn't resist the temptation so I drew another cityscape map last night. Here's the original drawing:

Here's the slightly modified version so the buildings stand out better:

(http://paratime.ca/images/fantasy/cityscape002b.jpg)

Ascension
12-13-2008, 01:30 PM
That noise layer really helps, looks good.

ravells
12-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Hang on to that style, it's a beauty.

Turgenev
12-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Hang on to that style, it's a beauty.

Don't worry, I plan on keeping that style because it is a lot of fun to draw. :lol: I have a few more ideas I wish to pursue including a bunch of buildings next to the city walls.

Turgenev
01-05-2009, 09:21 PM
I was able to do another cityscape drawing before my computer decided to crash. I want to do a few more of these and then put them together to form a section of a city.