PDA

View Full Version : My 4e Adventure for my Players

NeonKnight
12-12-2008, 06:08 PM
So, I am currently writting my own 4e adventure that takes place shortly after the players finish off Thunderspire.

As can be seen, I like to write adventures as if I am publishing them :D

Redrobes
12-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Rep bonkingly sweet.

industrygothica
12-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Very nice indeed, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that.

My life would be much easier if I could just jot down a few notes and scribble out a quick map, but that's hardly OCD compliant.

And then the more I learn here, of course, the more in-depth my maps get, which takes even longer... no wonder I never finish anything!

But back to you now. Great job! Looks fabulous. Did you do the cover work too?

Steel General
12-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Cool Stuff NK!

NeonKnight
12-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I kinda did the cover.

The Background is a screenshot from D&D online:

http://www.dndo-online.com/gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=screenshots

Which I tweaked o so little in Photoshop

The Yuan-Ti I drew this afternoon, and then kinda colored in Photoshop.

Sure, it's not the best cover, but its my cover ;)

NeonKnight
12-16-2008, 03:51 PM
More to the Adventure :D

industrygothica
12-16-2008, 06:42 PM
What are you using to make your stat blocks? Have you seen the Monster Maker (http://www.asmor.com/programs/monstermaker/index.php) by Asmor?

Gandwarf
12-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Very cool Neonknight! It looks like a lot of work, but it should also be so much fun :P

I remember I used to scribble my own adventures on a piece of paper and made some maps with a ruler and a pencil. This looks so much better :)
But hey, I was 12 back in those days and we only played basic D&D.

NeonKnight
12-16-2008, 06:56 PM
What are you using to make your stat blocks? Have you seen the Monster Maker (http://www.asmor.com/programs/monstermaker/index.php) by Asmor?

I never saw that. I was making all stat blocks in Word. I'll give it a try.

Seems to work ok, but takes a little fiddling to then get the stat blocks to Word though.

Thanx for the Link!

NeonKnight
12-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Yet still another encounter has been built/added to the adventure.

This is a LOT of fun.

I am also attaching a higher res of the inside regional map for the adventure.

Midgardsormr
12-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Getting a jump on that new style promised for next year's Annual, are ya? Very nice! I like the approach you chose for the forests.

Are you doing a post-apocalypse thing here? I notice your railway runs through a ruin and doesn't terminate at a settlement, which raises some questions. Apologies if that was covered in your module pdf; I didn't read it.

NeonKnight
12-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Getting a jump on that new style promised for next year's Annual, are ya? Very nice! I like the approach you chose for the forests.

Are you doing a post-apocalypse thing here? I notice your railway runs through a ruin and doesn't terminate at a settlement, which raises some questions. Apologies if that was covered in your module pdf; I didn't read it.

Yes and No on the post Apocalypse thing. From my Campaign's Wiki for my group:

During the height of the Empire's days, the majority of Aeirglos was under the rule of the Empire, with only the upper north western, and far western portions remaining independent from the Empire's Rule.

The Empire of Karhielorhn fell into ruin approximately 250 years ago, and had a level of technology that rivaled anything known today. With the collapse of the empire, the humanoid hordes soon overran the scattered human settlements.

The Empire's infrastructure was based almost entirely on a reliance of contained elementals (earth elementals for construction & mining, water elementals for sewage & irrigation, Fire elementals for heating, smelting, Air elementals for transport). Eventually this huge reliance collapsed, resulting in the destruction of the capital of Branshoon. Larger cities were able to hold of most of the hordes, and soon fell into city states. Somehow the collapse of Branshoon lead to the release of the elemental that the empire relied upon.

At this time, a huge vortex of unknown magical energy surrounds occupies the sky above where Branshoon stood, and is visible from about a hundred miles out of the city. No one has ever reported entering the vortex to discern what lies beyound.

So, there were railways, maintain through elemental forces. However, in the intervening years, most remnants have been swept sway (bridges over the river washed away in floods, the metal scavanged etc. In this case, the rail system within the woods still exists and the players can find an ancient engine with the bound elemental still within so they can use it to go to the next encounter.

JohnnFour
01-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Wow, nice stuff NeonKnight. Be sure to post it around the net when you're done.

Say hi to everyone in Burnaby for me. :) I used to live and game there.

NeonKnight
02-19-2009, 07:02 PM
A new 'Local' map for the adventure I am writing. On Saturday the players should step through the Fey Gate and find themselves now stranded in the Feywild, so to show the differences between the Mortal world and the Feywild, I attach a copy of the Feywild Echo of my campaign Area (see map above)

Fabrice
02-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Annyeong haseyo NeonKnight.

I like the idea of having different maps for the mortal, feywild and shadowfell versions of the same area. Maybe using different sheet effects to give them twisted atmospheres, like vivid colours for the FeyWild and more greyish tones for the Shadowfell?

I do not know why, and I can not articulate it properly, but IMHO something makes that the water (river, lake, and sea) does not blend in as beautifully as for example the hills or montains. Did you use the standard drawing tools from the Annual... I am currently considering to subscribe, so I would appreciate your feedback on the February issue.

Apart from this, best of luck to your players!

industrygothica
02-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Your scroll also needs a bit of attention - you can see right through the bottom roll.

NeonKnight
02-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks. I was using the standard palete/tools from the annual (except the Rivers, at my scale (only a couple of hundred miles), they did not blend well, and will probably change them up a bit. That aside, i cannot say enough about the annual. I honestly believe it is well worth it's price.

As to the scroll, not mine, but I will look into it, to see if it can be 'fixed'

Gandwarf
02-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Hmm...
Zoomed out your map looks really cool, but at 100% zoom I am not that enthusiastic anymore. Not a big fan of the style of the forests and ridges.

NeonKnight
02-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Yep, I hear yeah Gandwarf. I have not seen a style that impresses me 100% yet, that I don;t tinker with (I'm just a little short on Time.

I think I am gonna redo the forests a bit, and maybe redo the spines on the mountains (make them a little thinner and give them a blur effect to cut down the contrast). And again, it coule be the fact that I am doing it at a scale of not 1000 x 1000 miles, but rather at a scale of 200 x 350 miles.

NeonKnight
02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
OK, so I did a little tweaking, and I think it is much improved (for the scale).

Ascension
02-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Much much much much better...fits in with the drawn style of the rest of the map. Maybe you could find a good hand-writing font too (shrug) or maybe that might be overkill...I can't seem to visualize at the moment.

Gandwarf
02-22-2009, 10:19 AM
OK, so I did a little tweaking, and I think it is much improved (for the scale).

Yes, this is much better!

Wellsy89
02-23-2009, 07:14 PM
*mutters something about 4e being too videogamey*

That aside though, I'm liking your artwork.

NeonKnight
02-03-2010, 12:37 AM
So, for giggles here is my CC3 mapped adventure I put my players through earlier last year. It becomes very....rough at the end of the adventure, but hey. Was fun writing it.

Jaxilon
02-03-2010, 02:47 AM
That is a very nice final product.

Of course, I feel like I should shoot for this when create my own adventures now. So thanks for that :)

It does look like one of those supplements you would buy in the gameshop too.

Coyotemax
02-03-2010, 03:19 AM
Wouldn't take much polishing to make that publishable. If I was still running campaigns, I'd buy it.